Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2017 8:10:36 PM EDT
I have been looking for an optic for a 9mm SBR, and came into a deal for a Trijicon RMR RM02 (6.5 MOA red dot).  I know a lot of people use these as backup sights on ACOGs and scopes, and as primary optics on handguns, but how well do they do on an AR platform?  Is the narrow field of view an issue with these on a rifle, or will the 6.5 MOA be too large?  How do you determine if the RMR is a Type 1 or 2?  

Anything else I should know about these particular optics?  How well do they perform in brighter sunlight, or is there a lot of washout?

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
There are threads here about the problems with Trijicon RMRs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are threads here about the problems with Trijicon RMRs.
View Quote
Maybe my searches have been wrong, but I haven't found much regarding RMR issues...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you considered using a Trijicon MRO or some other compact red-dot? Personally, I like the VORTEX SPARC AR.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have you considered using a Trijicon MRO or some other compact red-dot? Personally, I like the VORTEX SPARC AR.
View Quote
I'd love to pick up an MRO, but haven't even found one locally yet to try.  I already have a SPARC, and have been happy with it.  The only reason I am considering the RMR is because I can pick it up reasonably cheap...worst case, I don't like it and can move it to a .22 LR pistol.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an RMR as primary on my AR-Pistol, but I haven't worked it hard enough to uncover any issues.   And it's been fine in the bright mid-day sunny CA desert.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Rain will rain on your parade, so to speak.  

If you're in a position where someone might shoot at you, I'd use something else... Like a mini aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a DP Pro on an AR15 pistol.  Works well.  Can't say about the rain.  Can say that rain messes with a scope, too.

I do have BUIS on my AR15 pistol, so if the DP Pro isn't usable I'll use those (just like I would on an AR15 carbine/rifle if the optic wasn't usable).

There have been reported issues with battery connection loss in RMRs.  Some people just put a piece of electrical tape on the inside of the cover to insure the battery stays in connection with the terminals.

Is field of view an issue with a "1" X optic?  I don't pay attention to the frame/lens on my RMRs or the DP Pros, I just make sure the dot is on the target.

When you shot iron sights do you really pay attention to the size/shape/appearance of the rear sight?  When you shoot with a std. rifle scope do you pay attention to the "ring" around the sight picture or just put the cross hairs/dot in the right place on the target?

As you said, if you don't like it on the AR, you can put it on the pistol.

Right now I've got two RMRs (dual illuminated models = no battery) and two DP Pros.  Can't say one is better than the other, but I can say I keep fighting the urge to buy one or two more, of either brand, so I can install them on another pistol or two.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I had one for a while (dual Illum) and I liked it just fine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a T2 and be fine with your wondering
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#10]
dot too big, rain

pass
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I enjoy mine....

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Most RMR issues relating to dots flickering or turning off are with regards to handguns. My FNX was one of them, even before the Type 2's it seems like they made some revisions the last several years to fix these issues. I know since I switched mine out from an earlier to newer RMR-A it's worked fine. Also the Type 2's *just* came out so you'd know if you got one.

Either way, an RMR will work fine on a rifle. Why wouldn't it? That doesn't mean there are similar profile optics that are more suited (MRO and Aimpoint Micros come to mind), just that yes an RMR works fine on a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Why does everyone keep bringing up rain when RMR's are water proof to like 60+ feet?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why does everyone keep bringing up rain when RMR's are water proof to like 60+ feet?
View Quote
Unlike eotech or tube style sights, water or debris can settle on led and interfere with its visibility on the lens.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Unlike eotech or tube style sights, water or debris can settle on led and interfere with its visibility on the lens.
View Quote
One shake and its gone.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Considered it. Waaaaay too much tint for my liking.  Went with Vortex Razor red dot.  Love it.  If Leupold had made a better AR mound at the time, Deltapoint.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Considered it. Waaaaay too much tint for my liking.  Went with Vortex Razor red dot.  Love it.  If Leupold had made a better AR mound at the time, Deltapoint.
View Quote
The tint is irksome for me as well, the LED models are a lot clearer than the FO models though. Those FO are straight up dark purple. Additionally, I've noticed it seems like they've lightened up on the tint on the LEDs as well, my newer ones are a lot clearer than my older ones.

Still, yeah, they're a lot more tinted than their competition.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I ended up passing on the RM02.  I'll probably end up going with an MRO, but I've heard they are having a few of their own issues...may have to just stick with a compact 1.5 or 2x ACOG.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I ended up passing on the RM02.  I'll probably end up going with an MRO, but I've heard they are having a few of their own issues...may have to just stick with a compact 1.5 or 2x ACOG.
View Quote
Take a serious look at the Leupold Deltapoint Pro.  Duty grade.  Motion activated.  Almost tintless.  Much larger window than RMR.  Now has several good mounting options.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#21]
How far are you planning to shoot? 6.5 MOA isn't too big on a defensive minded rifle inside of like 25, 50 yards. I probably would go with a 1 MOA dot if I wanted accuracy past 100 yards.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I want something lightweight and compact for a truck gun. Was thinking about buying a mount for my RMR as well
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a first gen RMR with Trijicons wing mount, which they dont make anymore.  This optic has served me very well, light, small and durable.  It's been there for about 5 years now and im on my second battery.

Your biggest concern is the big reticle because you will struggle at distance.  If I were you the only thing I would think hard about is getting the model with the smaller reticle.  No more than 2 MOA and they have a 1 MOA.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top