Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2017 12:14:21 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide which of these to get and as always $$$$$ is part of the equation.

I can get a refurbished PST 6-24x50 FFP for $670 or a PST Gen II 5-24x50 for $990. The  refurbished PST is still covered by Vortex's lifetime warranty so no worries there.

The scope will be used for shooting steel out to 850 yards with my 5.56 AR. Is the Gen II worth the extra $320?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd get the cheaper one. There is not enough difference for me to pay more.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The PST II is far and away a better scope from the first gen. Get the PST II.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The PST II is far and away a better scope from the first gen. Get the PST II.
View Quote
In what way is it better? What is different?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
optical quality of the glass is better. clicks in the turrets are stronger and more positive. 25 minutes per rotation as opposed to 12 makes the turrets faster. actual zero stop as opposed to the shims that get you close. the larger diopter makes a big difference to me as well, everything feels closer even at similar power levels. 

ETA: I had a PST 6-24 on my 20" 6.5 grendel, and replaced it with a 5-25 PST II.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the PST gen II FFP. I've used both and I think the gen II is worth the extra cost. It has better glass and the eye box is easier to get behind then the gen i. I was really impressed with the 5-25x50 pst gen II. When I compared it to my razor hd gen II 3-18x50 the glass was only a little bit better on my razor. I think the eye box on the pst gen II was better. I've only used the pst gen II once and it was on a buddy's gun but I was impressed at how nice it is for the price.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd probably go with the Gen II if those were my two options, but if you're cool with spending $1k what's another couple hundred..  I'd take a look at the Gen II Bushnell DMR scopes.  34mm, 3.5-21, etc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 25 minutes per rotation as opposed to 12 makes the turrets faster. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 25 minutes per rotation as opposed to 12 makes the turrets faster. 
This right here makes it worth it, in my opinion. I hate getting lost in turns and having to go back to my zero stop. 

Not a big deal if you are shooting at one distance, but shooting multiple ranges at a time it is a big plus.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I would pony up the money for the gen II, lots of upgrades as already mentioned. The better zero stop and more adjustment per rotation is worth it alone.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Guess I'll be saving up some more for a gen II.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Buy the refurb, and save money to go towards the gen 2, then sell the refurb for what you have in it, and buy the gen 2.  That way you can shoot while you save.  Used PST 6-24 FFP's bring more than 670 all day long.
View Quote
I've also been thinking about the refurbished  4-16 SFP. I don't know how well it would resell though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
AA optics has the refurbished pst 6x24x50 for $500 right now if that sways your decision at all.  They recently became a site sponsor and have a section in the Industry forum
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
AA optics has the refurbished pst 6x24x50 for $500 right now if that sways your decision at all.  They recently became a site sponsor and have a section in the Industry forum
View Quote
I believe the 6-24 will be too much magnification for me in SFP which is why I was thinking about going with the 4-16.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a first Gen PST 6-24x50. It was OK. I wouldn't pay for one no matter the discount after trying the Gen II. Noone will want your Gen I once they realize how much better the Gen II is. That is why the prices are so low... the Gen I is beyond obsolete now.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:26:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I bought a first Gen PST 6-24x50. It was OK. I wouldn't pay for one no matter the discount after trying the Gen II. Noone will want your Gen I once they realize how much better the Gen II is. That is why the prices are so low... the Gen I is beyond obsolete now.
View Quote
This.  Everyone wants 10 Mil turrets and a true zero stop these days.  It really kills the resale on the older models.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I ended up getting a PST 6-24 FFP and overall I'm very happy with it. My only complaint is that on 24x the eyebox seems really small and unforgiving. Backing down the magnification a little takes care of it though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have owned several of both and this poster and all who say get the gen ll are spot on.

The glass on my gen ll rivaled a higher end Japan made glass optic I compared it too when I got my first gen ll. It also gathered light better, and had a more forgiving eyebox.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Op where are you finding the refurbished scope?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Op where are you finding the refurbished scope?
View Quote
http://aaoptics.com/Refurbished-_c_93.html
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top