Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2017 4:10:41 AM EDT
When shopping for optics for my AR's, I often find myself searching for what the "in" optic is.  A few years ago, it really seemed like EOTech was the go-to for those in the market for a red-dot/holographic sight.  These days, though, when perusing forums and the latest and greatest out of the military world, it seems like Aimpoint micros and Trijicon MRO's have overtaken the civlian market, while the Elcan Spectre has become the favorite amongst the SOF community.  

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?  And if it is a thing, is it likely a result of the defect-reveals from a little while back, or just a gradual shift towards smaller non-magnified optics?

As for me, I'm rocking a Meprolight M5, because I'm probably a closet-hipster at heart.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:21:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The massive recall on their optics really hurt their reputation.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:13:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope not really. Not as much as some people would hope anyways. They're still as popular as ever. I'm pretty sure someone here or another forum spoke directly with a rep from Eotech and they said the recalls haven't really effected sells or profits significantly at all. Lot of recent reviews on many distributor sites and even opticsplanet has been having a hard time keeping fully stocked.

As far as real world applications go its still being used by many law enforcement and government agencies. Its the most common ive seen here in Afghanistan, not only on our Rangers and ODA personnel, but German, Hungarian SF, and Polish.

Kind of makes me think of a contrast from another lawsuit, that was actually a big deal. GM products were killing people for 13yrs while they knew about it and hid the fact. But Americans kept buying and still are. I wonder how many individuals here drive GM and Chevy vehicles but scream treason at Eotech.

The firearms industry is pretty unforgiving. Add the bandwagon of eotech haters that were around years before the thermal drift lawsuit even began + the mighty influential power of the internet and you would think L3 would have had a instant catostrophic failure. Not the case, as usual in context to keyboards vs real life.

This is why I dont follow whats trending on the internet when trying to find what works best for myself. You also have to take account for all the individuals that have had zero issues. If 5 people have an issue with a product you may here about it from 2000 different individuals. If 50 people have had zero issues you probably wont hear about it at all.

I'm also willing to bet there are more Vortex and Holosuns being sold in the civilian market than MROs and Micros. And with the 512 as low as $260 I'd say the same for Eotech.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Fake news
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I like my Eotechs
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have owned 5 eotechs.  1 would not maintain zero, 1 faded to the point the reticle was not visible in daylight, and another was basically dead everywhere except the center.  The models were 512, 553, and XPS, respectively.  I love the window, i love the reticle, but they have had too many problems for me to even consider them anymore.  Maybe they will fix the issues but it will take years to rebuild that trust.  The thread title is actually quite punny based on my personal experience
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I often find myself searching for what the "in" optic is.  
View Quote

where did your exhaustive search take you, all across the internet??

All electronic optics shift. no question but a lot like to overlook it.

I like the reticle, I like eotechs, I also like smaller optics.,

If anything, cheaper more robust chinese optics have played  part in mainstream optics demise and will continue to do so
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a thing so feelings don't and shouldn't enter into it.

If it didn't have verified issues I would run one because I like the reticle and viewing window.  

I would probably still have one for a plinking gun too but not at the asking price. Not for something so prone to shit.

That's the problem. No trust worthy enough for a true HD gun (imo, for me), too expensive for a plinker.

So Holosun it is. Cheap, same reticle. Seemingly robust. At least for civi use.

I'll be the first in line to buy a new xps if/when they truly get fixed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When shopping for optics for my AR's, I often find myself searching for what the "in" optic is.

SNIP...

As for me, I'm rocking a Meprolight M5, because I'm probably a closet-hipster at heart.
View Quote

I'm an Aimpoint guy. PRO, H1, etc. Love them but I can see the appeal of the Eotech.

Respectfully, do your research, find what works the best for your budget, and get it...don't worry about what's "in" or you'll be changing optics a lot!

With that said, I do believe that Eotech has a large hill to climb to regain market share but I give them props for offering the refunds that they did.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Thread title made me think this was a delamination thread.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a thing so feelings don't and shouldn't enter into it.

If it didn't have verified issues I would run one because I like the reticle and viewing window.  

I would probably still have one for a plinking gun too but not at the asking price. Not for something so prone to shit.

That's the problem. No trust worthy enough for a true HD gun (imo, for me), too expensive for a plinker.

So Holosun it is. Cheap, same reticle. Seemingly robust. At least for civi use.

I'll be the first in line to buy a new xps if/when they truly get fixed.
View Quote
Lol

Eotech is STILL trustworthy enough for thousands of US service members in combat but not trustworthy enough to sit on your nightstand next to your bed?

But you would put your life on a holoson optic?

Lol

Thanks for your contribution
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Came here to post this
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
They're unreliable and not worth it. LPVO's rule the day for a huge application. RDS seems to be Aimpoint and Triji's market for value and reputation (Aimpoint leads in my eyes).
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I see more and more people looking at magnified optics lately like a 1-6x or 1-8x.  I think people like the best of dot and magnification.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I like mine, works well. My dad has my old 512 that was purchased on 09, lives on the 50 Beowulf with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I used many of them years ago, even when they first came out.  But they are heavy and boxy, so I went in different directions starting in 2010 with micro optics like the Aimpoint H-1, T-1, and recently some Trijicon MROs, etc.  Nothing against EOTech.  I never had any issues with the later ones, just some of the older AA based ones that would lose connection when firing heavier calibers.  

Another reason I went with Aimpoints and Trijicons is battery life.  EOtechs have the worst battery life of most optics and at best will last 1-2000 hours, where even the crappiest Aimpoint will last 30,000 hours.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Was an EOTech fan. Now that the AMG UH-1 is here...no need for me to support a company that knowingly let faulty tech go out to our soldiers. Whether there were or weren't issues - they knew the potential for problems was there. And if civilians were having issues with thermal drift, I guarantee you there were several having issues on mil issued rifles as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the concept behind the EOTech, I just don't particularly like the EOTech itself. The battery drain issue and the fuzzy nature of the reticle have never endeared me to the EOTech. The issues with holding zero is another negative.

The optic that has really caught my eye in recent months is the Holosun 510C.

This little optic is everything I wish my EOTech 512 had been. It is compact. The reticle is very nice and crisp. It doesn't look like a ring of fuzzy dots, as is the case with the EOTech. It also has multiple reticles which include a 2 MOA dot with 65 MOA circle, just the 2 MOA dot (which is the one I prefer) and a 65 MOA circle without a center dot. One CR2032 battery is supposed to be able to power this thing for 50,000 hours when using just the 2 MOA dot, or about 20,000 hours with the circle and dot. It seems to be just as sturdy as the EOTech. And it comes with a QD mount. And you can get it for right around $300.

Give me the Holsosun 510C over the EOTech any day.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like the concept behind the EOTech, I just don't particularly like the EOTech itself. The battery drain issue and the fuzzy nature of the reticle have never endeared me to the EOTech. The issues with holding zero is another negative.

The optic that has really caught my eye in recent months is the Holosun 510C.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yJvc31f7UBk/maxresdefault.jpg

This little optic is everything I wish my EOTech 512 had been. It is compact. The reticle is very nice and crisp. It doesn't look like a ring of fuzzy dots, as is the case with the EOTech. It also has multiple reticles which include a 2 MOA dot with 65 MOA circle, just the 2 MOA dot (which is the one I prefer) and a 65 MOA circle without a center dot. One CR2032 battery is supposed to be able to power this thing for 50,000 hours when using just the 2 MOA dot, or about 20,000 hours with the circle and dot. It seems to be just as sturdy as the EOTech. And it comes with a QD mount. And you can get it for right around $300.

Give me the Holsosun 510C over the EOTech any day.
View Quote
Looks like I've found my MP5 clone fun gun optics!

$285 at optics planet with 5% off sale.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Eotechs are still the most widely used optic possibly. SF in USA, Russia, Germany, the Baltics, Ukraine, Italy ect still widely use them.

I will not give the Chinese shit industry a cent of my hard earned money. People who help prop up Chinese military Technology suck, sorry.

I swear people would but ISIS brand if it was available and cheap and feel not even a little sorry for it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Eotechs are still the most widely used optic possibly. SF in USA, Russia, Germany, the Baltics, Ukraine, Italy ect still widely use them.

I will not give the Chinese shit industry a cent of my hard earned money. People who help prop up Chinese military Technology suck, sorry.

I swear people would buy ISIS brand if it was available and cheap and feel not even a little sorry for it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:58:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Carried mine through 2 deployments, wouldn't trade it for any other red dot. They did the repair and it's as bright as it was brand new. Love the things
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#24]
1x red dot scopes, that are big like EOTechs/MROs/Aimports have to a large extend been lapped by either 1x4 or 6 scopes, or micro dots like RMR's and such.

If you want something for close encouters, the micro dots give you a dot to put on your target without the tube effect and clutter up less of your view.

If you want something for a bit longer range then the 1x4 scopes work far better, and since they have a built in crosshair a dead optic isn't a unless sight.

I had 3, sent one back for a refund, and upgraded to a Leo 1.25 x 4 scope.  Still have 2 - they work fine, but I woudn't but them again for the above reasons.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hungarian SF and Polish, I've seen for myself.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I swear people would buy ISIS brand if it was available and cheap and feel not even a little sorry for it.
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I ride no band wagons so I'll keep and buy another Eotech.  Love my Aimpoints too, as for the LPV's only time will tell if this is just a fad or a true revolution.  Run what you want and fuck everybody else and their bullshit opinions............  Every new product is the shit and must have here till it's not, stick around and you shall see the stupidity and blind leading the blind to have the next greatest thing.................
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Eotechs are still the most widely used optic possibly.
View Quote
I have a feeling that Aimpoint and Trijicon may beg to differ on that. There a lot of CompM-series and ACOG optics out there, after all.

edit: That being said, honestly, I'd buy an EOTech in a heartbeat if they came up with a model that even had half of the battery life of an Aimpoint Micro.

bonusedit: But, that being said, I'd buy an Aimpoint Micro or CompM4 with a circle-dot reticle, even if it cut the battery life in half. If China can do it in the Holosun 503G (with a BDC, no less), surely the Swedes should be able to figure it out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:08:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I ride no band wagons so I'll keep and buy another Eotech.  Love my Aimpoints too, as for the LPV's only time will tell if this is just a fad or a true revolution.  Run what you want and fuck everybody else and their bullshit opinions............  Every new product is the shit and must have here till it's not, stick around and you shall see the stupidity and blind leading the blind to have the next greatest thing.................
View Quote
IMO SOCOM embracing LPVs (Razor GenII useage, Kahles 1-6, Elcan Specter1/4x) really shows that it isn't just a fad but rather an effective system. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:15:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have a feeling that Aimpoint and Trijicon may beg to differ on that. There a lot of CompM-series and ACOG optics out there, after all.

edit: That being said, honestly, I'd buy an EOTech in a heartbeat if they came up with a model that even had half of the battery life of an Aimpoint Micro.

bonusedit: But, that being said, I'd buy an Aimpoint Micro or CompM4 with a circle-dot reticle, even if it cut the battery life in half. If China can do it in the Holosun 503G (with a BDC, no less), surely the Swedes should be able to figure it out.
View Quote
Why would they bother? It's the legendary reliability and battery life that sell Aimpoints. Not the reticle. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why would they bother? It's the legendary reliability and battery life that sell Aimpoints. Not the reticle. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.  I'm not sure either pay much attention to EoT.  If they do, not sure it's warranted time given their market and how well their optics are doing
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I have an Eotech RDS.  No shift in point of impact or point of aim.  I have fired it in 90 degree and 10 degree farhenheit temperatures.

Unfortunately, fads even hold sway among male gun enthusiasts.  I don't think of AR's as barbie dolls and I don't jump on the "fashionable, cool new gear" bandwagon.

I will continue to put Eotech on my AR's and Leupold variables on my hunting rifles.  Why?  Because they are proven to work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Agree.  I'm not sure either pay much attention to EoT.  If they do, not sure it's warranted time given their market and how well their optics are doing
View Quote
I'm pretty sure even Stukas87 wrote in one of his articles about his experiences with the SOPMOD kit that his first experience with the Eotech was that it can obscure the targets farther away in the 300m+ range. He said after he saw that he went back to the Comp M2. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I like Eotech's. After reading the thread about parallax and POI shift, it made me wonder about how much this really impacts downrange accuracy. The Eotech's were clearly the ones with this least amount of parallax shift over Aimpoints, Trijicon and the others. The Eotech's also work better for me with my eyesight.

Regardless of the groupthink folks had about the tempature shift, I always assumed that most electronic optics might demonstrate this problem. None of these electronic optic companies uses proprietary technology and the materials are almost all the same. Also, never believed in reality it caused any problems.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I recently got the itch for something else for my sbr (had an aimpoint pro on it) and picked up an EXPS3-0. Its a June 2017 model and claims to have all of the issues fixed and thermal drift mitigated to other optics levels. Haven't been able to put it through its paces yet, but I really like it so far. Only thing I dislike is the windage and elevation adjustments aren't tactile at all.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective that LPVs are taking up more and more of the market share, especially with how bright the reticles can get (ex: Razor, P4xi) and how close to true 1x they can get.

Alone or combined with a 3X magnifier, a normal Aimpoint dot makes perfect sense for 0-300ish yard use. You get a very durable, true 1x optic with a simple, daylight-bright reticle that doesn't require a perfect cheekweld. With the magnifier, you need a better cheekweld and you have to deal with TA31ish eye relief, but it's there when you need it.

However, Aimpoint's new 6x magnifier, which one would think is Aimpoint's way of competing with 1-6x variables, seems like it could potentially benefit from a new Aimpoint with a reticle that includes drops. If the battery life may be decreased (adding, say, 1 moa drops for 300, 400, and 500 yards) by half, to 4 years for a M4S-BDC and 2.5 years for a T2-BDC, that would still be spectacular.

Anyway, I'm just saying that I would be interested in such a product. I don't expect such a thing to necessarily become a reality.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective that LPVs are taking up more and more of the market share, especially with how bright the reticles can get (ex: Razor, P4xi) and how close to true 1x they can get.

Alone or combined with a 3X magnifier, a normal Aimpoint dot makes perfect sense for 0-300ish yard use. You get a very durable, true 1x optic with a simple, daylight-bright reticle that doesn't require a perfect cheekweld. With the magnifier, you need a better cheekweld and you have to deal with TA31ish eye relief, but it's there when you need it.

However, Aimpoint's new 6x magnifier, which one would think is Aimpoint's way of competing with 1-6x variables, seems like it could potentially benefit from a new Aimpoint with a reticle that includes drops. If the battery life may be decreased (adding, say, 1 moa drops for 300, 400, and 500 yards) by half, to 4 years for a M4S-BDC and 2.5 years for a T2-BDC, that would still be spectacular.

Anyway, I'm just saying that I would be interested in such a product. I don't expect such a thing to necessarily become a reality.
View Quote
Interesting point. I don't think you're ever going to see that kind of product from AP.  The EOTech 557/3-4 didn't sell well so AP likely made a good decision.  Dudes buy those sights so they can largely shoot 50 yards and in.  
Having said that, Holosun's ACSS + magnifier setup can be a very effective setup out to the same distances as a 1-4x scope, from my experience.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I swear people would but ISIS brand if it was available and cheap and feel not even a little sorry for it.
View Quote
People bought a shit-ton on Chrysler K-Cars in the 80's, too.... Doesn't mean they were a good choice.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I ride no band wagons so I'll keep and buy another Eotech.  Love my Aimpoints too, as for the LPV's only time will tell if this is just a fad or a true revolution.  Run what you want and fuck everybody else and their bullshit opinions............  Every new product is the shit and must have here till it's not, stick around and you shall see the stupidity and blind leading the blind to have the next greatest thing.................
View Quote
This has already been decided.

Welcome to the now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#40]
As soon as I get my EOTech bucks back from the lawsuit I'll be buying a new one. I want the shorter model that uses a single 123 battery and has the controls mounted on the side where they belong. I had four, so I guess I'm downsizing. They owe me $90.00 ($22.50 X 4) and another $2100.00. Finding one on sale and having $90.00 to help reduce the costs makes my decision an easy one.

I like their sights, the window size kills the competition. If the do something constructive about battery life and the fuzzy reticle I'll probably buy a lot more.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Not sure they can do something different for the reticle for a holographic sight.  I wish it was crisper too.

No matter where the reticle is in the window, that's the POI.  Great for pew pew on the move.

I have an EXPS and Vudu, working just fine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#42]
An end users actual performance needs should be what drives equipment, not internet trends.

In regard to EOTech, I have used them in competition, hunting, LE training, and LE patrol use. They have worked well for these uses and I'll continue to use them because nothing else I am aware of in the market is their equal, IMHO. Right now, I am finding that they work very well as a passive NV setup (the huge window/light transmission makes them we suited for this role).
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They're unreliable and not worth it. LPVO's rule the day for a huge application. RDS seems to be Aimpoint and Triji's market for value and reputation (Aimpoint leads in my eyes).
View Quote
Delta and NSWDG still use EOtech EXPS-3s.

Not to mention British SAS, Belgian SF who use it on their SCAR-L/H, Australian SF, etc.

I mean I could go on and on about EOtech users.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:04:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not to mention British SAS, Belgian SF who use it on their SCAR-L/H, Australian SF, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The EXPS3 does seem to be the standout model among their the current lineup.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
An end users actual performance needs should be what drives equipment, not internet trends.
View Quote
+1, I believe in this industry people are more involved with roll marks, brand names and trends more than they're actually shooting. Handbags for men is what I call it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:40:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Not sure if EOtech are falling away but they may have lost some mindshare during that whole recall/POI shift issue.

FWIW, for red dots I've got an EOtech 512 and Mepro RDS currently (and have experience with Aimpoint PRO and CompM2) and I prefer the Mepro RDS hands down to all of the others. Mepro RDS has a bigger FOV, clearer dot, long battery life, incorporated QD mount, NV compatible without an increased price, no zero shift, cheaper overall price, etc.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:53:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, they are arguably the best cqb optic if you have very diligent and generous armory.  Just based on objective number of high speed users.

Personally I really like the MRO because I can leave it on all the time, and it always being there is one of the main draws.

More battery than eotech, Better view than a aimpoint micro, lighter than a pro/m4s, etc.

The chinese stuff doesn't rate in this discussion.  I have had PA and holosun dots and am mostly happy with them, but they aren't of the same quality. I would never pay 300 bucks for a high end holosun.  At around 100 or less, they have there place. For sure. Got one of my holosuns for like 40 bucks before they really started advertising for themself.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:02:15 AM EDT
[#48]
They're designed to fail, and they knew it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:15:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Everywhere I have been including seeing the Hungarian defense forces....

we like the EOTECH.

Aimpoints are nice but EOTECH seemed easier to get.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top