Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the Philippines glass has been getting better and better.

Vortex/Burris, and others are using it in their mid priced optics I believe?

I know from experience of owning a few Vortex PST, & Burris XTR II 2-10x & 1.5-8x models that I was very impressed with the glass in them.

I also tried the newer second-generation PST's and the glass is definitely even more improved over the first-generation and I believe those are still made in the Philippines also?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PS. As follow-up from an earlier post, I'm guessing someone from this forum asked Burris about the scope origin:

pwiethe
· 3 days ago  
Can you tell me where the glass is made and where the scope is assembled?

Burris Support
· 2 hours ago  
The RT-6 scope is manufactured and assembled in the Philippines.
View Quote
Awesome!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Great to hear. Mine comes in today. Will be mounting on my 300 BO I just put together.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Installed today and hoping to hit the range if the rain quits. Wow, awesome glass. Almost as good as my XTR II 4-20. Am impressed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Did get to the range today. Glad I got this scope. Glass is close to my XTR II I have mounted on my 338LM. Worked great. Suggest you add this scope to your list when your shopping for a 1x6 scope.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Went out again today. I initially zeroed with some 193, but today I ran some 75gr Hornady Match through the rifle. 3 shot groups. First group on the bottom. Shots were taken prone bipod support only

ETA 100yds

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#7]
How is everyone liking there scope? Am so far impressed. Using mine on a 300 BO.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How is everyone liking there scope? Am so far impressed. Using mine on a 300 BO.
View Quote
Still Loving mine. No issues
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Finally got my RT-6.
Only got to shoot indoors at 25yrds so far.
Before mounting it was accidently dropped on concrete from table height and actually slightly dented the muzzle end of the tube.
I didn't drop it nor did I care as long as it functioned properly.
I only have about 200rds with it but it has performed flawless so far.
Comparing it to my Burris Mtac 1-4 with the same reticle, the 1-4 reticle is slightly smaller. The 1-4 is lighter but a little longer.
For those wondering, it is NOT day light bright but I typically don't even turn it on unless it is low light conditions.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Finally got my RT-6.
Only got to shoot indoors at 25yrds so far.
Before mounting it was accidently dropped on concrete from table height and actually slightly dented the muzzle end of the tube.
I didn't drop it nor did I care as long as it functioned properly.
I only have about 200rds with it but it has performed flawless so far.
Comparing it to my Burris Mtac 1-4 with the same reticle, the 1-4 reticle is slightly smaller. The 1-4 is lighter but a little longer.
For those wondering, it is NOT day light bright but I typically don't even turn it on unless it is low light conditions.
View Quote
Which one has a better eyebox?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which one has a better eyebox?
View Quote
That is a tough one.
Pretty close to the same.
I do notice on 1x, both eyes open, the 1-4 appears thinner. Not that the 1-6 is distractingly "thick" but the 1-4 it almost invisible to me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#12]
First, thank you for posting the reticle pics. What brightness setting are you taking pics of? Maybe the pics don't do it justice, but that reticle doesn't look too bright (I suppose not everyone needs it that bright). The Glass looks great though!

My XTR II 1-5 is scorchingly bright in daylight above setting 7... I have an RT-6 on the way so I'll be able to compare side by side in a few days. If the highest brightness setting on the RT-6 is near setting 7 on the XTR II , then I'll be satisfied.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't believe nobody in Youtube land has done a review on one of these yet. Mrgunsngear, where are ya man?!?!
View Quote
I agree - but this applies for most of the XTR II line ....just not very many videos on them that I can find... Mr. Gunsngear recently got around to doing an XTR II 1-8 review.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Just ordered my RT-6 - first scope for my first AR-15 (one of the Mexico-marked Colt LE6920s).

Got mine for $296 shipped from SportOptics.com. Should be here any day now.

Can't wait to try it out!
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just ordered my RT-6 - first scope for my first AR-15 (one of the Mexico-marked Colt LE6920s).

View Quote
Did you need shipping or just walk down the hall and pick it up?
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 1:47:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha ha...

Your comment is a tad vague, but I'm assuming you're suggesting that I'm somehow a shill? Perhaps because I only have a few posts?

Nah...

Actually found the forum while searching for information on this scope that a friend recommended to me, and, since the price I bought it for is lower than I've seen anywhere else, I thought maybe others who were looking at the RT-6 might appreciate the lead.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice price. I paid $319 for mine from whittaker guns. Great scope. Glass is close to my XTR II scope.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice price. I paid $319 for mine from whittaker guns. Great scope. Glass is close to my XTR II scope.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Have you tried yours out? My new AR will arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to getting it mounted up and to the range!
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks!

Have you tried yours out? My new AR will arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to getting it mounted up and to the range!
View Quote
Sure have. Have it mounted on a 16 inch barreled 300BO. Friggin sweet. Clear glass.  Didn't add allot of weight. Worth the money.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sure have. Have it mounted on a 16 inch barreled 300BO. Friggin sweet. Clear glass.  Didn't add allot of weight. Worth the money.
View Quote
Still waiting on mine ... good ol optics planet shipping lol..

Do you have anything to compare the reticle brightness to? Someone above mentioned its NOT daylight bright (assuming this was observed on highest setting???)  ... what is your opinion of the brightness? Are you able to post a pic of the reticle on its brightest setting outside during the day? I know its a lot to ask - I'm just getting a little impatient waiting for my own to arrive. When it does finally get here I will post side-by-sides (with my XTR II) asap.

thank you!
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#21]
That’s awesome, Bearcat 24. What mount are you using?

Easy to get sighted in?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Still waiting on mine ... good ol optics planet shipping lol..

Do you have anything to compare the reticle brightness to? Someone above mentioned its NOT daylight bright (assuming this was observed on highest setting???)  ... what is your opinion of the brightness? Are you able to post a pic of the reticle on its brightest setting outside during the day? I know its a lot to ask - I'm just getting a little impatient waiting for my own to arrive. When it does finally get here I will post side-by-sides (with my XTR II) asap.

thank you!
View Quote
As soon as I get time, I’m going to take some photos. Maybe even a video.

Next time go with SportOptics.com. Quick service and best price!
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok FINALLY lol....

I got the RT-6 in today ... and I have to admit .. while both the XTR II and RT-6 both have minor chromatic aberration on the high end, the glass appears to by identical to my crappy eyes... Phenomenal glass at that price point. I can't believe I can't discern the difference between the glass on the XTR and the RT. I thought it would be more obvious at that price point.

Now for the reticle brightness... Level 6 on the XTR II 1-5 gen3 5.56 reticle... is as bright as the brightest setting on the RT-6 level 10. No its not scorching bright like the XTR but it IS daylight bright on a partly sunny overcast day in north Texas. I have the side by side pics to show and validate. Inside kitchen pointed at a wall and then at the sunlit glass on the back door. Then in the backyard in open day light.

I will post the pics as soon as I'm done at discount tire... i just got T-boned in the parking lot ... employee backed into my wife's car on the way in
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Yikes. Hope everyone is alright. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#25]
John_Pifer, thanks for posting about SportOptics and their sale price.  I hadn't heard of them before, but I ordered one this morning (they only had three in stock) and it's already shipped.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I was fine ty for asking.. minor fender bender

Taking pics of my ACOGs way back in the day seemed so much easier when I had a cheap camera... tried taking these with my DSLR.. its difficult to get the reticle in focus. RT-6 reticle is the Ballistic AR6x , XTR II is the Gen 3 5.56 ... the AR6x feels a tad bit wider than the Gen 3 5.56

RT-6 Eyebox and illumination on 10, then the XTR II on Illumination 6

and same illumination outside

XTR II level 6 then 10

Link Posted: 11/2/2017 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#27]
ordered one today because of this thread.  thanks!  
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#28]
You folks just ordering one will not be disappointed. Enjoy the shit out of mine. Works great with my 300BO.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
John_Pifer, thanks for posting about SportOptics and their sale price.  I hadn't heard of them before, but I ordered one this morning (they only had three in stock) and it's already shipped.
View Quote
Any time, buddy!

Earlier in the thread, I was accused of being a shill. Not the case - I just believe in giving credit where credit is due when a company does a great job.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I ordered it Wednesday and UPS dropped it off today.  I got it mounted and went to the range to zero it.  Took 10 rounds to get a solid 200-yard zero.  After it got dark, I played with the illumination.  I like this scope.  It is mounted on one of the .223 ARs I hunt with.  This scope replaced a Vortex Strike Eagle.  The one thing I didn't like about the Vortex is that, for me, the stadia lines were way too thick.  On 6x, they covered up a 3-inch dot at 200 yards.  I currently use a red dot on my 3-gun AR, but I've been looking through this scope on 1x and the field of view is huge.  I'm going to play with it a little more, but I'm thinking about replacing the red dot with the RT-6.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I ordered it Wednesday and UPS dropped it off today.  I got it mounted and went to the range to zero it.  Took 10 rounds to get a solid 200-yard zero.  After it got dark, I played with the illumination.  I like this scope.  It is mounted on one of the .223 ARs I hunt with.  This scope replaced a Vortex Strike Eagle.  The one thing I didn't like about the Vortex is that, for me, the stadia lines were way too thick.  On 6x, they covered up a 3-inch dot at 200 yards.  I currently use a red dot on my 3-gun AR, but I've been looking through this scope on 1x and the field of view is huge.  I'm going to play with it a little more, but I'm thinking about replacing the red dot with the RT-6.
View Quote
A lot of guys run the Burris FastFire red dot sight on top of the rings of this scope (the Burris PEPR Mount comes with little flat top 1913 rails on the top rings for it, and they also offer a package deal that includes the PEPR Mount and the FastFire).

But I read a couple of reviews that said the field of view is so good on the RT-6, and the reticle so bright, that they sold their FastFire and now they just use the scope only.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I shot it out to 400 yards today.  With a 200 yard zero and the scope on 6x, my range marks at 250, 300, 350, and 400 yards were on the money with my handload.  I'm shooting the Sierra 65 grain GameKing over 25.2 grains of W748.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I ordered one of these to play with today.  Optics Planet has them for 297, so if you have a decent % off coupon it gets pretty cheap.  I had an 11% off code, so it came to $264 shipped...seems like it should be a pretty good scope for that money.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I ordered one of these to play with today.  Optics Planet has them for 297, so if you have a decent % off coupon it gets pretty cheap.  I had an 11% off code, so it came to $264 shipped...seems like it should be a pretty good scope for that money.
View Quote
And the deals just keep getting better!

One helluva buy for that $!
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm not in the market for this

And I don't have an AR

But tagged cause when both those days change I'm very interested

Great great posts here guys.

Quality pics and data.

Thanks you so much.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Since my last post where I had only shot with mine indoors at 25 yrds I have since put a few hundred rnds thru it ranging from 20 to 260 yrds.
Shooting a BA 16" Hanson performance barrel.
So far I have zero complaints but I don't have much experience with many high end LPV scopes either.
For the prices you guys are finding them for it is a no brainer to grab one or more.
Hoping to 3-gun with it this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Can someone give me a no bullshit assessment of how usable the 1.5x lowest setting is. Can you pick up the reticle quick (all things considered). I know it’s not an EOTech. Both eyes open? Minimum distance?
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I have no problem picking up the reticle or shooting 1x both eyes open.
IMO, it allows for that very well.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Can someone give me a no bullshit assessment of how usable the 1.5x lowest setting is. Can you pick up the reticle quick (all things considered). I know it’s not an EOTech. Both eyes open? Minimum distance?
View Quote
Is this a 1.5 or a 1.1xxxx sight?

To the gentleman who owns both the XTR2 1-5 and the RT6, how do they compare on lowest setting?

Any difference?

@dotcombust
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Lowest setting they are about equal 1x ... the occular glass on the xtr II sits further back in the tube than the RT-6... so just comparing apples to oranges, the xtr II has no tube effect at 1x whereas the RT-6 has a slight tube effect on 1x ... it’s probably not even noticeable if you’re not comparing side by side I just happened to be able to. It might be even less noticeable depending how far forward or back it sits on the receiver..

The eye boxes and exit pupil feel the same throughout the zoom range and the RT-6 reticle is wider ... Burris lists it as the AR5x but through the glass it’s etched as AR6x and it is wider than the xtr II so I felt it was easier to pick up... the illumination bleeds heavily out of the RT-6 objective at anything above a 5 if you don’t mind ... xtr II almost no bleed until level 10 and again, it’s so very slight I don’t know how they pull that off with such a scortchingly bright reticle.. glass quality, like i said I can’t tell the difference ... best glass I’ve seen for a sub 300 1-6 ... I returnned a PA gen III early when they came out (sacrilege I know)  because I just didn’t like how tiny the chevron was on the acss and the Chinese glass on mine was meh... imo the RT-6 blows it away on all features across the board and it’s just a few oz heavier... the turrets on the RT-6 are just a tad mushy for my taste... but if you’re dialing in for mostly one rifle it shouldn’t matter to you...

These are just MY observations when comparing features in what I consider my mid level scopes like my vortex, trijicon and Burris... I don’t own any $2000 glass so I wouldn’t know anything about what to expect or compare
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Ive had PA 1-6’s
I have a vortex pst 1-4
I have 3 leupold vx6 cmr2’s

The burris is better than the PA and Vortex.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Glad to see this still going!

I'm still Loving mine, no issues yet
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#43]
I’ll be taking mine to the range for the first time tomorrow! Can’t wait!

First AR-15 and first scope!

Any zeroing tips?

I guess I should zero at 100 yds?

I may go to an indoor range that only has 25 yds, though. Not sure yet.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Is that the new BAR DBM?

I was just looking at those on the Browning site last night!

Awesome!!
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Is that the new BAR DBM?

I was just looking at those on the Browning site last night!

Awesome!!
View Quote
Yup.  Havent shot it yet.  
I have another one w/o the DBM and its a great rifle.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yup.  Havent shot it yet.  
I have another one w/o the DBM and its a great rifle.
View Quote
What kind of accuracy are you seeing?

I was impressed with the light weight of the BAR-DBM. They quote <7 lbs!
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What kind of accuracy are you seeing?

I was impressed with the light weight of the BAR-DBM. They quote <7 lbs!
View Quote
Its a little heavier than my non DBM which is very accurate.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ive had PA 1-6’s
I have a vortex pst 1-4
I have 3 leupold vx6 cmr2’s

The burris is better than the PA and Vortex.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296599/91EBCFBA-E07C-4112-A091-5FE0B6576199-356054.JPG
View Quote
What do you find that's better on the Burris than the PA 1-6x?
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What do you find that's better on the Burris than the PA 1-6x?
View Quote
Just about everything IMO.. Better glass, bigger reticle, bobtail on the power ring, power ring is more knurly and smooth  .. it just feels like a more expensive optic...  on the PA the turrets are a little more positive clicking.. thats about it.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top