Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2017 5:36:30 PM EDT
was looking at building a recce style ar and was looking at the trijicon accupower/points in 1-4 but with all the newer offerings out in 1-6 and 1-8 is it even worth getting 1-4 anymore?

was thinking about the trijicon 1-8 but damn it looks big and heavy for a 16" carbine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The accupoint is huge to me, more of a 308 scope. Still love both of my 1-4's
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
was looking at building a recce style ar and was looking at the trijicon accupower/points in 1-4 but with all the newer offerings out in 1-6 and 1-8 is it even worth getting 1-4 anymore?

was thinking about the trijicon 1-8 but damn it looks big and heavy for a 16" carbine.
View Quote

The Kahles 1-6 or Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 1-6 are the best variable power optics you can get.  I'm putting one of those on each of my rifles as money allows.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on the price point and feature list. For a general purpose optic I think the Steiner P4Xi offers at lot at around the roughly $500 price point that they tend to be at. The Accupower 1-4 is a nice scope but at $650 (non MAP price IIRC) you're probably starting to push it but coming in with a decent optic. I f you're talking about $1200 1-4s just say no and go with the above mentioned Razor. 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Kahles 1-6 or Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 1-6 are the best variable power optics you can get.  I'm putting one of those on each of my rifles as money allows.
View Quote
I prefer the MK6, and others prefer other optics. Glass is super user-dependent.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't mind the weight... go for it... no free lunch...more magnification...more weight.

for the money,, the Steiner 1-4 is a excellent choice...

think of your AR and what you want to do with it and then choose wisely.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
You save weight at the cost of magnification.  Higher magnification also usually equates to more $.  I like my 1-4x but wish it could go to 6x.  I think a 1-6x is a 16" 5.56 perfect optic range
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#7]
not really a weight savings junkie for this build so i guess ill go for the trijicon 1-8.

Anyone know of any opticsplanet savings codes? or better prices than the $1440 at OP?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
not really a weight savings junkie for this build so i guess ill go for the trijicon 1-8.

Anyone know of any opticsplanet savings codes? or better prices than the $1440 at OP?
View Quote
Larue has them with mount for $1571.00
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#9]
just about every sale dsg has the accupower 1-8 for 1150.I missed buying one friday by about 12 hours since I didn't check my email for a week lol.

Ive had tons of 1-4's that include the Trijicon accupower and the Nightforce and my favorite out of all of them is the Steiner honestly.So much so that ive ordered a 2nd one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I perfer the MK8 CQBSS and Schmidt & Bender PMII as the best low power variables money can buy myself, and aside from the Razor I do own an example of from each product line you & I have mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#11]
If this is not your home defense or bug-out SHTF rifle just get a PA 1-6 or 1-8x to try for feel. Some rifles just beg +10x magnification and you be better served not spending all your money to find out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ive had tons of 1-4's that include the Trijicon accupower and the Nightforce and my favorite out of all of them is the Steiner honestly.So much so that ive ordered a 2nd one.
View Quote
the P4X1?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I grabbed a 1-4x PST  because I didn't want the extra weight, cost and smaller exit pupil of the 6 and 8x offerings.

It's on a basic 16" m4 type rifle shooting 0 to 400yds, for which 4x is plenty.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#14]
The red triangle Accupoint is one of my favorite optics of all time. They can be had a reasonable prices on the EE.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I really like the Accupower 1-4 with the red segmented reticle...don't need anymore magnification than that for my purposes.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Try the Steiner. If your mil or first responder you can get it from day for 458
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I really like the Accupower 1-4 with the red segmented reticle...don't need anymore magnification than that for my purposes.
View Quote
Those scopes are pretty sweet the only thing they suffer from is like of daylight bright reticle and price in comparison to the P4Xi. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I sold my Accupower 1-4 "Green" reticle and replaced it with the Steiner P4Xi. The Accupower has a nice reticle but I wanted something daylight bright and the Steiner more than fills that. I actually like the uncluttered Steiner reticle better also. If Trijicon made the Accupower with a Steiner reticle, I think it would have been a great option. YMMV
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Trijicon 1-8x w/ Geissele mount on a 16" carbine:

Not too bad on the size but it does add a bit of weight to it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Or you could combine a light 2 oz (about 4-5 ounces with mount) offset duty grade mini reflex red dot like a Deltapoint Pro with the 15 ounce Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm scope.  Both are motion-activated and will have Aimpoint-like battery life with daylight bright reticles. The 40mm objective has much better, brighter low light performance and wider eyebox.  The total weight is likely less than the 1-6 or 1-8 you would be looking at and total price no more, perhaps less.  The little 24mm objective on almost all 1-6x and 1-8x scopes produces a very tight, confining exit pupil once you get past 5x with those scopes and they suffer in low light.  When they get around to 36-40mm objectives in those scopes, I might be interested.  And too many of them are so heavy they upset the balance of the rifle.

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I run a 1-8X (PA Platinum) on my 3-Gun rifle and absolutly love it.  The combination of optic and rifle is pretty damn close to magic on a race gun.... However...

I don't think a 1-8X is a good choice on an "all-around" rifle.  A 1-8X comes at a significant size and weight penalty, which I'm OK with because the pay-off is worth it in this role, and the eye-box of all the 1-8's are very tight.  I like the 1-8X because in 3-Gun there's a lot of shit like 4" poppers hidden in the weeds at 300 meters.  That being said, my strategy on a long range stage is to start at the lowest magnification I can get away with and then swing the lever to 8X when I absolutly have to because otherwise it takes too long to acquire targets.

My "go-to" rifles generally wear 1-4X's as they're just more flexible.  I bought a handful of the Stiener Military 1-4's on close-out.  If I were to buy new optics, I might look at up to 1-6X magnification on the high end, but I have no issue making hits on C-Zones at 500 meters with a 1-4.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Before buying make sure you look into battery life.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The Trijicon 1-8x w/ Geissele mount on a 16" carbine:

https://i2.wp.com/www.gunsandtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/trijicon_1-8x_05.jpg?w=1000

Not too bad on the size but it does add a bit of weight to it.
View Quote
It's those turrets! If you could put Leupold MK6 turrets on that scope...
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#24]
ended up ordering the trijicon 1-8 in red/mil.

got some 34mm rings coming from larue to fit my lt104 for it.

scope delivery is tomorrow....ring delivery, i have no idea lol.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Theres some perks for the 1x4s but most are older tech. 1x6 is pretty much the sweet spot now. 1x8s are the leading edge but there's generally trade offs with price, weight, and/or optical characteristics. Good 1x8s are slick, but pricy and heavy.  As always, you don't always get what you pay for but you generally pay for what you get!

In a couple years 1x8s will probably be middle of the road.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#26]
1x4 makes sense. 1x8, just get a 3x9 and save $$$
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
1x4 makes sense. 1x8, just get a 3x9 and save $$
View Quote
And weight often times. Add an offset RDS for the 1x option and you still usually get roughly the weight of a 1-8 and a mount or less. 
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And weight often times. Add an offset RDS for the 1x option and you still usually get roughly the weight of a 1-8 and a mount or less. 
View Quote
I'd just go 1-6x probably
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'd just go 1-6x probably
View Quote
That's what I have done. I think the 1-8 offerings still need to "mature" a bit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#30]
It depends on how you feel about weight and money. I don't like much weight above the bore of an AR. They start to feel very top heavy to me with scopes that weigh a pound or more. I'm also kind of cheap, so I have 1-4x and 2-7x for the short to medium range role role. With cost as no object, I would be interested in Leupold's VX6 1-6x with the firedot. It's still about 1/4 lb heavier than the VXR 2-7x, though. While not as easy as 1x, the 2-7x still works fine for me in timed, short range stages.

I wonder if 1-8x will stay around. They're so heavy, and the difference between 6x and 8x for practical uses isn't that significant. And for paper punching, you want more than 8x anyway.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Too me, 8x is overkill on a 5.56mm rifle.. 1-4x-1-6x is the maximum I would go... if I need to shoot something beyond 500-600 tys... I have better clubs in the bag for that shot...

That's why I'm a big fan of LPV with a BDC...follow up shots on a AR platform with 30 rds is easy.... if I'm doing math.. then its for a shot well beyond that range..
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Too me, 8x is overkill on a 5.56mm rifle.. 1-4x-1-6x is the maximum I would go... if I need to shoot something beyond 500-600 tys... I have better clubs in the bag for that shot...

That's why I'm a big fan of LPV with a BDC...follow up shots on a AR platform with 30 rds is easy.... if I'm doing math.. then its for a shot well beyond that range..
View Quote
There have been times I wished my 1-4x would push a little further. 6x is good
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Considering cost and weight, the 1-4x optics still have a niche that they fill and fill well.

They give up a little bit at extended ranges on targets that are 10 inches in diameter or smaller.  If you are shooting at silhouette targets and weight is a concern I think they can be just right.

The Steiner P4Xi looks very good.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Considering cost and weight, the 1-4x optics still have a niche that they fill and fill well.

They give up a little bit at extended ranges on targets that are 10 inches in diameter or smaller.  If you are shooting at silhouette targets and weight is a concern I think they can be just right.

The Steiner P4Xi looks very good.
View Quote
I just got one in. Mounted it in an Aero mount yesterday. 20 oz feels good with an LPV. If it's tough enough for 3-gun/ LE applications it's probably the best LPV on a $500 budget. I posted my immediate impressions in the dedicated thread if interested. 
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I struggled with that one.. as I like magnification as well... but the weight becomes and issue... luckily I can compromise with my Burris XTRll with 1-5X and still keep the weight down.
As a General purpose rifle 4-5X does the job well... for my civilian needs...
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a vortex razor hd genII 1-6x and love it. Prob going to replace my aimpoint on my other rifle with the Steiner 1-4x. For around $450 you just can't beat it, and the glass is on par with my razor
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a vortex razor hd genII 1-6x and love it. Prob going to replace my aimpoint on my other rifle with the Steiner 1-4x. For around $450 you just can't beat it, and the glass is on par with my razor
View Quote
I had the Razor II and ditched it due to the weight. The 1X on the Steiner is almost as good as the Razor it just lacks the uncanny ability of the Razor to make the objective end disappear. The illumination is as good as it too. 
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top