Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/24/2017 10:23:27 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a USGI carry handle for my AR.  I don't have the money for an optic yet and I like shooting with iron sights.  Is it likely that the rear sight will have been adjusted so many times that the parts have worn to the point they need replacing??  I'd hate to buy  used to save money and then find it will not hold zero.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Highly unlikely, I've never seen one wear out but on the other hand I've seen some cheap non milspec copies that have very loose tolerances and therefore are very sloppy.
What you'll most likely find in a mil-surp carry handle is a worn finish, dings and grit.

Old Marine
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Highly unlikely, I've never seen one wear out but on the other hand I've seen some cheap non milspec copies that have very loose tolerances and therefore are very sloppy.
What you'll most likely find in a mil-surp carry handle is a worn finish, dings and grit.

Old Marine
View Quote
Thank you for that information.  Appearance is always second to functionality when my firearms are concerned.  Just don't want to spend and then have to spend more........  I'll start watching the the EE for one.  I'd feel better buying one here than Ebay.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Old Marine
View Quote
I've bought several ex-GI carry handles at gun shows just as you describe that worked fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Once zeroed they are rarely ever moved. The only people that dial elevation and windage on a regular basis are high power competitors. They are built tough and replacement parts are cheap should you ever need them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If you buy a high quality carry handle that's in good condition it will never wear out on you for as long as you own it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you buy a high quality carry handle that's in good condition it will never wear out on you for as long as you own it.
View Quote
Would it be safe to say that any carry handle with a forge mark and no missing parts is high enough quality?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't learn things like this just doing random Internet searches.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Would it be safe to say that any carry handle with a forge mark and no missing parts is high enough quality?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't learn things like this just doing random Internet searches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The forge mark is who forged the raw block of aluminum, which is important. But even more important is who finished the machining process. Which unfortunately isn't marked like it is for Colt and FN upper and lower receivers. So that being said, I think you'd be well off to search for a "Colt carry handle" and verify the forge mark as one of the big players. (Brass & Aluminum Enterprises, Cardinal Forge etc) and go with it.

Avoid anything that has no forge mark for sure. I had one like this and it was an out of spec POS
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
If SHTF ever happens, people will be wishing they had a couple GI carry handles after a couple years..... I only have one, but have a few LMT fixed read sights. Wish I had a couple more, but LMTs are rather expensive.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If SHTF ever happens, people will be wishing they had a couple GI carry handles after a couple years..... I only have one, but have a few LMT fixed read sights. Wish I had a couple more, but LMTs are rather expensive.
View Quote
Why? T1s are pretty damn tough. 5 year battery life will last any SHTF scenario likely to happen. I have CR2032 batteries with a 10 year shelf life too so, I'm pretty sure most T1 guys will have a functioning optic for a a potential 10 year event. 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#10]
If you watch eBay they turn up cheap from time to time. I bought 4 of them one time for $25 each from a guy on there, I opened the package and had them sitting on the table and my father asked me if they were new, because they looked that nice.
Somebody said search for "colt", imo, you'll find a bunch of $90 "rare Colt" carry handles. On eBay you gotta be creative with your search trms and the best deals are normally the ones with the worst description, from sellers who don't know what they have.
ETA: just use common sense. Don't buy a carry handle that looks like it got ran over by a tank!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top