Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 6:24:21 PM EDT
They only changed the temp parameters from -40/122f to -4/122f.

I bought an opmod exps2 from optics planet for $389 with the Father's Day sale. I emailed them at the same time to ask if it was an updated version. They got back to me and said no, it's pre update. No big deal, I have 30 days to return if I want. I read somewhere that eotech updates the older ones if you send them in. So I shot an email to confirm to eotech, they gat back to me and said no. I called and got the same guy who emailed me to go over what was fixed with them. He said they only changed the temp parameters to which they measured the thermal drift, basically they only test down to -4 instead of -40. He said the major update was in 2014 that addressed the nitrogen/moisture issue. I'll probably keep the opmod and let the uh-1 cut its teeth. Not sure why but I just like a holographic sight better than a red dot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you are a SEAL, I doubt anyone will go from -30 to 90 degrees without re-zeroing.  A big part of me wishes I'd kept my EXPS-3.  I had no issues with it and it was very accurate.  I made a few nice hog kills with that sight.  If I found an EXPS-3 for 400 bucks or so, I'd jump on it.

Unless you are experiencing some kind of issue, I'd keep it and enjoy it.  You know they killed Bin Ladin dead as a door nail with an Eotech, and it was a pre-update model.  In fact, I'd venture a guess that there are many nasty bad guys pushing up daisys at the hands of professionals using Eotech sights.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Odd.  I use an EOTech at work.  They sent all of the old units back for replacement.  The housing on the new one certainly seems to be made out of a different material.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Odd.  I use an EOTech at work.  They sent all of the old units back for replacement.  The housing on the new one certainly seems to be made out of a different material.
View Quote
Was it from the 2016 thermal drift debacle? I'd really like to know if the condescending customer service guy was truthful. Could your guys replacements be from the nitrogen leak issue?

I don't give 2 shits if eotech are assholes, the product is great. I just want to know if there was an update as far as the thermal drifting goes. I'll keep calling customer service until I'm confident parts are the same pre and post October. I have a long commute. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#4]
We sent them in for replacement last summer.  The new units came in sometime around late fall.  We returned them in response to the thermal-drift.  I'll try to get a good picture of the housing, so that you may judge for yourself.

ETA - Our units were from a few years ago, so I suppose it is possible that they changed materials before they started replacing the units for thermal-drift.  They are definitely different, however.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top