Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2017 3:08:44 PM EDT
Howdy folks.

I recently acquired a new to me Trijicon 2.5-10x56mm Accupoint rifle scope, and I love the glass. However I hate the reticule, the capped turrets and the fact that it is SFP. This got me thinking about how much I would like to have an optic that has a Mil based reticule, with mil turrets that is FFP, that has a 56mm Objective, with magnification around 10x at the top end.

Is there such a beast?
56mm combined with low magnification is amazing for light gathering at dusk.

Thank you
-Gene
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
No its not. This is a hunting reticle. Plenty of European 2.5-10x56mm optics options out there, but sadly they all seem to have hunting reticules.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Howdy folks.

I recently acquired a new to me Trijicon 2.5-10x56mm Accupoint rifle scope, and I love the glass. However I hate the reticule, the capped turrets and the fact that it is SFP. This got me thinking about how much I would like to have an optic that has a Mil based reticule, with mil turrets that is FFP, that has a 56mm Objective, with magnification around 10x at the top end.

Is there such a beast?
56mm combined with low magnification is amazing for light gathering at dusk.

Thank you
-Gene
View Quote

I dunno about 56mm, that's really limiting your selection. I'd also think that to a degree scope design and coatings is going to be about as big a factor as the extra few mm. Aside from that, this came to mind:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-riflescopes-series/xtr-ii-riflescope-2-10x42mm
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does it have to be x56 ?

Vortex Viper PST gen2 2-10x32 FFP EBR-4 MRAD
View Quote
That's the whole point of the thread.  He's looking for a 2-10x (or similar) optic with a larger than normal objective due to their increased abilities in low light conditions.  

OP, I think the largest commonly seen objective size you'll see in that mag range is 42.  The specificity of your request is really going to limit the availability of options (like reticles, focal planes, turrets, etc.).
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:01:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I know you like the 56mm objective, and I used to think that objective size trumped all, when comparing 2 high quality optics with exit pupils under 6mm at a magnification in low light, until I compared my MK6 to my Kahles K16i 1-6 optics.

I could not honestly tell you one resolved meaningfully better at 6x in low light, even though the Leupold has an exit pupil of 3.3mm, and the K16i, of 4mm, a difference of roughly 20%. It may have on paper, but in my real world experience holding one in each hand at dusk, greens became browns at almost exactly the same point, and looking into dark shadowy areas with either was very similar, except the K16i had a noticeably larger FOV to my eye, and the fact that I picked up on that more than the light gathering is huge to me, considering the FOV difference at 100 yards on both is only 0.5% or so (20.1ft for the K16i, 19.3ft for the MK6), and I was looking at things FIFTY yards away.

Anyway, my point is, sometimes the paper math, in the real world, takes a back seat. The MK6 and K16i have near identical footprint, but someone may well choose the K16i over the MK6 for the "light gathering" even though they wanted the turrets and reticle of the MK6...and then they would compare the two in person and forever hate their decision.

So before you buy...look.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So before you buy...look.
View Quote
Here is what I have looked through at dusk

Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40mm
Trijicon 2.5-10x56mm
ACOG's
Vortext PST 1-x, and 4-16x40mm
Vortex Razor gen II HD 3-18x50mm

The Trijicon 2.5-10x56 is unbeatable for light gathering at dusk, with my eyes. The Vortex HD is close, but still dimmer.

It seems that the 2x or 2.5x low end magnification combined with a 56 mm objective is "the choice" for low light hunting, and there seems to be many scopes available for this application. Yet I see nothing in FFP Mil based reticuls. I find that very odd.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Closest thing I think you'll find is the NF 2.5-10x42. Quality NF glass, Mil/Mil, 42mm is probably the biggest you'll find. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I second the NF 2.5-10 x42
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]
If you can deal with 3x as a minimum on the low end, you have many more choices
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you can deal with 3x as a minimum on the low end, you have many more choices
View Quote
3X is fine what are the examples?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Another scope that may fit the bill.
http://athlonoptics.com/product%E2%80%90category/riflescopes/athlon-optics-rifle-scopes-ares-btr/athlon-optics-rifle-scopes-ares-btr-2-5-15x50-mil/rifle-scopes-ares-btr-2-5-15x50-aplr3-ffp-ir-mil/
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:47:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a 4-14x FFP mil-dot optic from Primary Arms that I'm quite happy with, but the magnification is obvioisly higher than you'd like. FFP with mil-dots is a beautiful thing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Sig Tango 6 is a 5-30x56 ffp. Not the mag range you wanted but it has everything else.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Closest thing I think you'll find is the NF 2.5-10x42. Quality NF glass, Mil/Mil, 42mm is probably the biggest you'll find. Good luck.
View Quote
That's a kick-ass scope, but second focal plane.   As it should be if you're trying to use it in low light.

A FFP with a big objective lens for the purpose of light gathering kinda contradicts itself.  The reticle in the second plane will give a bolder reticle at lower magnification when you're trying to squeak that last minute out of the day.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Konus might have whate your looking for.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A FFP with a big objective lens for the purpose of light gathering kinda contradicts itself.  The reticle in the second plane will give a bolder reticle at lower magnification when you're trying to squeak that last minute out of the day.
View Quote
Very interesting, this makes sense, and might be the reason we don't see low magnification FFP scopes with 56mm objective.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top