BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/25/2017 10:23:20 PM EDT
I am a huge Vortex fan, and no, don't work for them.  PST and Razor HD Gen II owner.  I want to replace my high-priced Aimpoint T1 with a Vortex Sparc AR.  But, want to see how tough it is.  Just ordered one from Palmetto.  
So, all I've seen is some water and freezing tests on the Sparc AR.  
I want to hear what other consumers like me want to see.  I'll start with water and freezing but want to go up from there.  I'll video all steps.  Testing will take place June 8-11.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
In on 1. I also just purchased a SPARC AR, will be interested in your findings.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Lets see some drop tests from various heights.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lets see some drop tests from various heights.
View Quote
Will do for sure.  By itself or screwed to a board to simulate being on a rifle?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In on 1. I also just purchased a SPARC AR, will be interested in your findings.
View Quote
Cool, give me some ideas of what you want to see for testing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Will do for sure.  By itself or screwed to a board to simulate being on a rifle?
View Quote
Doubt I'd be likely to drop one without it on a rifle, so lets go the board route.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Once it shits the bed, are you going to send in a warranty claim to Vortex?

Not saying you should or shouldn't, just curious.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Going to let them know exactly what I did with it and let them decide.  And being on this site, pretty sure they're gonna know anyway.  
I have a T1 right now.  Want to see if a less expensive red dot will hold up to what most would subject it to...and then some.  And like I said, am a big Vortex fan.  Own their scopes but this will be my first Vortex red dot.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
They do have a unconditional lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Going to let them know exactly what I did with it and let them decide.  And being on this site, pretty sure they're gonna know anyway.  
I have a T1 right now.  Want to see if a less expensive red dot will hold up to what most would subject it to...and then some.  And like I said, am a big Vortex fan.  Own their scopes but this will be my first Vortex red dot.
View Quote
I bet they'll replace it.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Zero it on a QD mount and secure it to a board that is bolted to a reciprocating saw. Simulate 10k rounds and test for zero shift. If it passes, re-secure it, drop.the board from shoulder height, another 10k rounds, retest.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Zero it on a QD mount and secure it to a board that is bolted to a reciprocating saw. Simulate 10k rounds and test for zero shift. If it passes, re-secure it, drop.the board from shoulder height, another 10k rounds, retest.
View Quote
Note to self:  bring Dewalt sawzall on the weekend shoot!  I will try to make this happen.  Now just need to find a QD mount for the SparcAR.  That I do not have
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Found a QD mount so I will make this sawzall thing happen.  Keep the ideas coming.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Subscribing to this.  I like these optics and have 2 of them, one on a 5.56 for a couple months and just recently put one on my .300BO
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#14]
in case no one is aware... they changed their warranty slightly...

http://vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty

The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.
"deliberate damage" may be considered an unnecessary torture test...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's been that way as long as I can remember, and I'm one of the owners, so...

We may have added the deliberate damage thing at some point years ago, I can't remember, but I think it's always been that way.

Regardless, if the OP breaks it, we will cover it. 
View Quote
Sam, awesome that you posted and appreciate it.  And just so you all know, I really am not doing this to take advantage of the warranty.  I am a big fan and love the Vortex scopes I have.  Great company and affordable products.  So, if I can get a $200 optic to handle abuse that I know my T1 can...then I am going to switch all my optics over.  I have seen a few tests on the Sparc AR but nothing too extensive.  So I know if I wanted to see it, there had to be others wondering/wanting the same thing.  
So, keep the list going and on June  8-10 I'll be running the tests.  
I think so far I am looking forward to the "mounting to the reciprocating saw" test the most.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We may have added the deliberate damage thing at some point years ago, I can't remember, but I think it's always been that way.

View Quote
good stuff
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am a huge Vortex fan, and no, don't work for them.  PST and Razor HD Gen II owner.  I want to replace my high-priced Aimpoint T1 with a Vortex Sparc AR.  But, want to see how tough it is.  Just ordered one from Palmetto.  
So, all I've seen is some water and freezing tests on the Sparc AR.  
I want to hear what other consumers like me want to see.  I'll start with water and freezing but want to go up from there.  I'll video all steps.  Testing will take place June 8-11.  
View Quote

Mirror the Aimpoint T1 torture test where able?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just another why I'm one of those Vortex "fanboys". Sounds a little gay though. I'm a big supporter and advocate of Vortex products. Only been doing optics for less than a year. Have my fifth Vortex product (Venom 3 MOA) on it's way for my new little M&P 15-22. Got the Sparc AR for BiL a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I have been wanting to try a Vortex 1-6 and Red dots as well. Have been holding off due to only owning Eotech and Aimpoint. I have a couple rifles with no optics due to budget, yeah I'm tagging this O.P.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Figure out a way to mimic real world use, rather than absurd 'just because we can' tests.

Drop tests from a reasonable height?  Good but suck it up and do it on a real rifle so you can confirm zero every so often.  

Cold test?  Cool.  Dunk it in water?  Cool.   Frozen inside a block of ice?  Pointless.

I think putting the rifle + optic in the bed of a pickup truck, unprotected, and hauling ass up and down some rough potholed roads would be a more worthwhile test than much of the 'torture' test stuff that I see done.  

My SPARC AR spends a lot of time on an AR pistol riding in trucks and tractors.  So far it has held zero like a champ.  I'm not going to beat on it but it is nice to not have to treat it with kid gloves.

Looking forward to the results of your test.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have been wanting to try a Vortex 1-6 and Red dots as well. Have been holding off due to only owning Eotech and Aimpoint. I have a couple rifles with no optics due to budget, yeah I'm tagging this O.P.
View Quote
Just go ahead and buy a Razor.  They are fucking awesome.

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#23]
In for results.

I think I will just buy one. With that kind of warranty you can't lose.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Just bought my third one and I'm in to see how this turns out!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#25]
In on page 1! I love my vortex optics, especially the spitfires.... Their warranty is part of the reason for that, I've never needed it, but knowing it exists gives me peace of mind.

I'd like to see some "aggressive impact testing" on the optic. Something to simulate striking the front optic on a vehicle frame or building on ingress/egress.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#26]
This is a tag.....been wanting some optics on a few AR's and Vortex is near the top.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#27]
If you run out of things to try, I once watched a Marine combat instructor grab an M16A4 with ACOG by the barrel, spin around with it extended, and let it fly a good fifteen feet into some stadium bleachers.  You could try that...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Figure out a way to mimic real world use, rather than absurd 'just because we can' tests.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I have Strikefires, Spitfires, a Sparc and a Crossfire...

IN!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#30]
To Vespid_wasp, I agree.
 I will incorporate some real world tests while mounted in my DDM4V7.  Where I am going, there is a bumpy ass dirt road up a mountain.  I will stick it in the bed of the truck.  I am not going to subject my DD to a ton of abuse but I have a rail I am going to mount to a piece of wood then attach Sparc AR w/QD to it and subject that to a bunch of the tests.  Them will put the Sparc back on the DD to confirm zero
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#31]
In.

I bought one of these from PSA when they were 30% off.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just go ahead and buy a Razor.  They are fucking awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz_ePPNbLsI
View Quote
Absolute +1.  My Razor HD Gen II is by far my favorite scope.  Get one!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In.

I bought one of these from PSA when they were 30% off.
View Quote
Yeah I just did the deal with PSA with 10 pmags then sold those off for $ and am keeping the Sparc to test.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Drop tests from a reasonable height?  Good but suck it up and do it on a real rifle so you can confirm zero every so often.  

Cold test?  Cool.  Dunk it in water?  Cool.   Frozen inside a block of ice?  Pointless.

I think putting the rifle + optic in the bed of a pickup truck, unprotected, and hauling ass up and down some rough potholed roads would be a more worthwhile test than much of the 'torture' test stuff that I see done.  

My SPARC AR spends a lot of time on an AR pistol riding in trucks and tractors.  So far it has held zero like a champ.  I'm not going to beat on it but it is nice to not have to treat it with kid gloves.

Looking forward to the results of your test.
View Quote

I like the pick up bed idea.  It should bounce things around pretty well.  Bang into the bed a bit and show some real "normal" life conditions.  Then test for zero.

Those guys that drug the PA micro behind the atv were a little over kill in my mind.  Most users will never abuse it that much.

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Don;t most people buy something b/c the other option is too expensive?  You already have the best and are downgrading?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Don;t most people buy something b/c the other option is too expensive?  You already have the best and are downgrading?
View Quote
Not everybody is a "Operator"
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am more into long range shooting right now.  Put money into a Vortex Razor HD Gen II.  Had a PST on a 308 as well.  Really liked both.  So got to thinking.  Let's see how good their red dots are.  
I am not going to war, don't believe in zombies (other than those walking around on the cell phones all day).  So wanted to see if Vortex Sparc can hold up and give those who don't have Aimpoint $ some hope.  If it works out, I can buy 2-3 Sparcs to add to other guns and feel comfortable with the decision.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#38]
In.

Need a more cost effective option for a grendel.

Vortex fan here. Sold off leupolds, swfa, and trijicon glass to jump into the pst/Razor world.

ETA: do you have a scar 17? It's a true test there...
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am more into long range shooting right now.  Put money into a Vortex Razor HD Gen II.  Had a PST on a 308 as well.  Really liked both.  So got to thinking.  Let's see how good their red dots are.  
I am not going to war, don't believe in zombies (other than those walking around on the cell phones all day).  So wanted to see if Vortex Sparc can hold up and give those who don't have Aimpoint $ some hope.  If it works out, I can buy 2-3 Sparcs to add to other guns and feel comfortable with the decision.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get both?

Okay, makes sense.  Definitely looking forward to the results.

I've been able to see 2MOA T1's (with mount) on the EE very very quickly...
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Tagged for interest. I've a Gen 1 Sparc and need a decent optic for another AR that I can trust.....
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd like to see this.

I have a Holosun, and while it's been fine for me. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence based on other threads.

I was wondering how the Sparc AR would hold up. There is a couple of "torture tests" on youtube. But more is better.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Pretty cool Vortex themselves popped in to say go ahead and try to fuck it up. And if you manage to, enjoy your replacement.

Speaks Volumes in my mind.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Probably a bad subject, but I'm curious. What's your percentage of warranty vs sales?

Within the next week, I plan to buy one of your 1-6 or 1-8 scopes. Some have said that the tube diameter makes the 8x zoom very limiting. Others say your 1x isn't really 1x. Lay down some knowledge if you'd be so kind.

I'd buy the prism but my understanding is you cant ad a magnifier to it.

My use is Farm use, I don't want to leave a red dot on all the time, which is why I like the 1-8 or prism. Groundhogs don't seem to mind tractors and 10-100 quick shots are common but a standard red dot doesn't allow for that precision.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Just so everyone knows PSA has the Sparc AR and 10 PMAGS on a Memorial Day sale for $200. Just went in on one set.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just so everyone knows PSA has the Sparc AR and 10 PMAGS on a Memorial Day sale for $200. Just went in on one set.
View Quote
Seen it, I just bought a new Colt 6920 OEM and no money in the gun fund.

I figure they've been running it on sale enough I can catch it 4th of July sales....
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Probably a bad subject, but I'm curious. What's your percentage of warranty vs sales?

Within the next week, I plan to buy one of your 1-6 or 1-8 scopes. Some have said that the tube diameter makes the 8x zoom very limiting. Others say your 1x isn't really 1x. Lay down some knowledge if you'd be so kind.

I'd buy the prism but my understanding is you cant ad a magnifier to it.

My use is Farm use, I don't want to leave a red dot on all the time, which is why I like the 1-8 or prism. Groundhogs don't seem to mind tractors and 10-100 quick shots are common but a standard red dot doesn't allow for that precision.
View Quote
Diopter adjustment to focus the reticle to your eye can affect apparent zoom somewhat.

I loaned a rifle to a buddy of mine for a 3-gun match, and when he had it focused for his eyes it was unusable for me.

That being said, as far as complaints about true 1x vs. the optical quality of a good LPV compared to any red dot that I personally have ever looked through, there is no comparison.

Dot is so bright because people always ask if a LPV is daylight bright.  The top 2 or 3 settings on my Razor are so bright that I have never used them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Great idea OP. I'm a huge Vortex fan as well with 3 scopes & the 2016 diamondbacks binocs. One is a Sparc 2 so I'm interested in the outcome.

The sawzall is a great idea. So is the truck bed.

I would like to see how scratch resistant the glass is. Mud, wet sand, etc.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Tempted to do the Sawzaw thing to my Holosun tbh. That is such a nice idea.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Diopter adjustment to focus the reticle to your eye can affect apparent zoom somewhat.

I loaned a rifle to a buddy of mine for a 3-gun match, and when he had it focused for his eyes it was unusable for me.

That being said, as far as complaints about true 1x vs. the optical quality of a good LPV compared to any red dot that I personally have ever looked through, there is no comparison.

http://i.imgur.com/VF6VEur.jpg

Dot is so bright because people always ask if a LPV is daylight bright.  The top 2 or 3 settings on my Razor are so bright that I have never used them.
View Quote
@Vespid_Wasp

Is that image through a razor or is that a Steiner? That glass is amazingly clear.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@Vespid_Wasp

Is that image through a razor or is that a Steiner? That glass is amazingly clear.

View Quote
That's a Razor.  The Steiner glass is comparable.    I don't know why I took the pictures from different vantage points.  I probably had some from each scope from each vantage point but these are the only ones I have uploaded.

Steiner T5Xi:

Both of them are like a Heads Up Display on 1x.    Just excellent.  And very usable out to 600 yards on silhouette targets.

Glass is comparable.  I like the reticle of the Steiner slightly more.  Illumination of the Razor is better but they are both truly no BS daylight bright in any conditions.

Turrets on the Razor are a lot better, both have held zero for me through a fair amount of real field use including 3-gun and I am not delicate with my 3-gun stuff.  Steiner is lighter.  5x vs 6x isn't that noticeable honestly.  For the same money I would always go Razor between the 2.  I got the Steiner used for significant savings and I have no plans to change that rifle setup.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top