Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2017 11:45:01 PM EDT
I find that looking through scopes (Trijicon 3x9 and 5x20 Accupoint) with bifocal glasses throws off my accuracy and gives me a false placement of my reticle. As well as it's harder to adjust your eye relief with glasses especially when the power is dialed up. Iron sights glasses work fine but not with scopes.  Does anyone else have problems aiming with prescription glasses ?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#2]
For precision shooting, I remove my glasses altogether and adjust the eyepiece diopter to correct my vision.  Adjusted eyepiece diopter serves both purposes, glasses and scope eyepiece to focus the reticle. Try it.  Another option is glasses that are not bifocals.  Prescription shooting glasses are single lens. You still adjust the scope eyepiece to match your prescription diopter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I know what you mean.  I wear multi-focal glasses. On my LR bolt gun which has a Burris XTR II 5-25 depending on how I hold my head I'm looking through a different prescription and the image is blurry or the eye box closes. I know consistency is the key (exact same position, grip, trigger pull etc) but trying to get my head in the exact same spot with the glasses to see clearly was too frustrating.

My solution? I bought some reader safety glasses. I look through the un-magnified top while shooting and have focused the diopter to my uncorrected vision so it's clear and crisp. But I can sit up and use the reader portion to look at DOPE book, Kestrel, and anything I need to see up close.

Home Depot (and lowes, maybe) sell them in multiple strengths in clear.  You can find them in smoke or other colors with some quick google-fu.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For precision shooting, I remove my glasses altogether and adjust the eyepiece diopter to correct my vision.  Adjusted eyepiece diopter serves both purposes, glasses and scope eyepiece to focus the reticle. Try it.  Another option is glasses that are not bifocals.  Prescription shooting glasses are single lens. You still adjust the scope eyepiece to match your prescription diopter.
View Quote
This is the answer you seek.
I never wear prescriptions when shooting through glass
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Most scopes have an adjustable diopter which will allow you to adjust focus for all but the most extreme eye problems. ACOG's do not feature that flexibility.

I adjust my scopes that allow it for use with no glasses on. I simply wear shooting glasses thereafter. You might try some cheap readers at the dollar store and see if they help.

There are custom "billiard" glasses available. You simply send your eye prescription to them and they will manufacturer glasses designed for looking up as if you were shooting pool. These work great for shooting firearms.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most scopes have an adjustable diopter which will allow you to adjust focus for all but the most extreme eye problems. ACOG's do not feature that flexibility.

I adjust my scopes that allow it for use with no glasses on. I simply wear shooting glasses thereafter. You might try some cheap readers at the dollar store and see if they help.

There are custom "billiard" glasses available. You simply send your eye prescription to them and they will manufacturer glasses designed for looking up as if you were shooting pool. These work great for shooting firearms.
View Quote
also, these look promising: https://sspeyewear.com/collections/top-focal-magnification/products/top-focal-premier-kit
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I wear prescription glasses, although not bifocals, and they mess with my scopes too. I shoot without them, and adjust the diopters on the scopes to the naked eye. Works better for me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Been wearing bifocals for 28 years.  On your next set of glasses have them place the bifocal lower in the lens and go for a lined version not a progressive bifocal.

I run both a vortex viper 1-4 and a bushnell hdmr 3.5-21 without issues when setup like that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#9]
The first thing I do after mounting a scope on a rifle is remove my glasses and adjust the scope for my eye as it is.  I can see at a distance just fine, I need to protect my glasses for up close stuff (like cleaning my rifle, reading, etc.) and glasses are something I could lose at anytime if they were on my face.  

If the scope was adjusted for me wearing glasses and the glasses fell off my face, or got fogged up (not hard to do around here in the summer) then the scope isn't usable - until I adjust it for use without glasses.  Why wait till I get into a bad situation to adjust my scope?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top