Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/22/2017 3:29:11 PM EDT
And I need it to be under 400, because that's my budget.

I was going to go for the huey, but I am tired of waiting and it's in the 500.00 range.

That leaves a 512 or an Mro.

I love the eotech type reticle. But I prefer a small red dot. T1/t2 is too expensive.

Leaning heavy towards the Mro because of its size, weight, and they've been easily had for 350.00 for those with patience.  

I want a holosun. But they aren't shtf worthy, from what I read.

Any suggestions? Memorial day sales are coming
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive a TRS 25 on mine and have been happy.

Id go MRO.

I think it will still co-witness as well.

Co-witness is important to me, things break, batteries die.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a used MRO, if you dont like it you can sell it and and wont lose much money.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Used H1?

I got mine on EE for $400 with mount.

That or the MRO, if it works for you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a used T1 off the EE. The 512 would probably hold up and has the better reticle but the T1 is definitely more dependable
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Mro will be on sale for 350-375 over the holiday.  375 with low mount, 350 no mount.

The were 360.00 at jet last week.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]
"Life Dependable" Aimpoint T-2
Save up more money
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Save up more money
View Quote
show me where the MRO isnt?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
No need to "show" you. There's been issues. Most recently the contacts on the battery's not making contact and requiring you to bend the legs.

I'm out on scopes that require end user mods to work.

Get a used aimpoint Pro for $325 on the EE.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want to keep the lightweight thing going you might try the Steiner MRS. I've been giving it a go on my ARX-100 since I'm trying to keep to a philosophy of extreme light weight and I'm loving it so far. RMR-sized, weighs practically nothing, and has WAY less distortion and color shift. Good sight picture, holographic, true auto-adjusting brightness, and the emitter is enclosed so you won't get random dust bits obstructing the projection like sometimes happens on an RMR. From everything I read it's GTG on the durability front too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd look at the Deltapoint Pro they have them in the upper 300 range on Amazon right now. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been impressed with my Sig Romeo5 so far.  Good battery life and clear optic.

My TRS25 shit the bed after about 500 rounds.  It was replaced but I would not trust one on a HD gun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Its a few ounces heavier, but seriously:

Aimpoint Pro

/thread

No its not a micro type red dot, but really, 6-7oz more isn't a large issue, especially when its not weight near the muzzle

Can be had new for $400 all the time or less, and can be had used 99% of the time $350 or less
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have backup irons and are willing to consider EOtech and (to a lesser extent) MRO, I wouldn't necessarily write off Holosun or their Primary Arms version. The Holosun made Sig Romeo 4M is FBI duty certified, that might be an option if you can find it.

If you want reliability above all else, get a used Aimpoint tube. If you want a circle dot for speed and a non-tube sight for better binocular vision, you might be willing to sacrifice a bit on reliability. I'd take the Romeo 4M over the EOtech, most failures I've had are battery related and the Holosun beats EOtech in this area.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm looking at putting a small lightweight red dot on my sbr'd evo...well, one of these days. I'd be choosing between the deltapoint pro, RMR, Aimpoint H1, or MRO if I were you. They're all around the same price point, all are good quality, and I'd go with whichever you prefer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I paid 372.00 for a new MRO with low mount.

I really like the bigger field of view, and I felt it was a great deal
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Leupold Deltapoint Pro is a rugged duty grade mini reflex you might consider.  Motion activated, much larger FOV than T1-T2.  They were $600 when first introduced two years ago, but we are seeing them on sale a bit under $400 now.  Mine has been very good run as a primary on an M4 type carbine.  I went with the 7.5 MOA triangle reticle.   Very fine precise tip and large base for rapid target acquisition.

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#17]
If your use for the sight really requires a "life dependable " sight, then you're really saying that you need a sight that co-witnesses with a BUIS.

Glass breaks, batteries die, electronics fail - the only real variables are the mean time between failure for various sights and models, and their resistance to damage.  But at the ed of the day WHEN your optic fails, you'll need a BUIS.

Get what ever you want, just be sure you leave the iron sights on it, and that you can use them with the optic attached.

I've been happy with the Burris FF III in a few different applications.  It will mount on a rail and co-witness with the sights on a number of arms.   And if it won't, you can usually get a mount or a riser that will make it happen.  Again, I'm not willing to bet my life on an electronic sight.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#18]
DI Optical Raven sights. Around 225 bucks, I have literally hit mine with a hammer and not lost zero or illumination.  Got mine from Optics Planet for 190 bucks shipped.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If your use for the sight really requires a "life dependable " sight, then you're really saying that you need a sight that co-witnesses with a BUIS.

Glass breaks, batteries die, electronics fail - the only real variables are the mean time between failure for various sights and models, and their resistance to damage.  But at the ed of the day WHEN your optic fails, you'll need a BUIS.

Get what ever you want, just be sure you leave the iron sights on it, and that you can use them with the optic attached.

I've been happy with the Burris FF III in a few different applications.  It will mount on a rail and co-witness with the sights on a number of arms.   And if it won't, you can usually get a mount or a riser that will make it happen.  Again, I'm not willing to bet my life on an electronic sight.
View Quote
Understand your position, but thousands do risk their lives with good battery-operated RDS with great outcomes
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Trijicon
Aimpoint
Vortex

Pick one and go forth
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I paid 372.00 for a new MRO with low mount.

I really like the bigger field of view, and I felt it was a great deal
View Quote

@cryo_tech

Where??

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#22]
ebay.

Theres a seller that has them for 399, no mount, and 424 with.

use coupon for 50.00 off. P20MEMDAY
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Save up more money
I have both...prefer the T-2
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
ebay.

Theres a seller that has them for 399, no mount, and 424 with.

use coupon for 50.00 off. P20MEMDAY
View Quote

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Save up more money
From a value perspective, you can argue it's very close.  Looking objectively at which is better than the other, cost aside, I'd say the T2 by a significant margin.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#26]
If my holosun can withstand thousands of rounds on my 7.5in 5.56 AR,(some of that bumpfire)  it can handle 9mm. Never lost zero. I don't baby it. I even blew off the leafspring on my SLR adjustable gas block, so it's not a "soft" AR. If you want a "known" brand like aimpoint, wait a little longer and save up. I love threads like this. I have just a little bit less than an aimpoint pricepoint, but I want aimpoint quality. Get a used one off the EE or wait another little bit and get a damn aimpoint. Sell some plasma, go mow some lawns. Rummage thru your gun shelf and sell something off. Go sell some lemonade. Go look for a part time job on the weekend. In 2 or 3 weeks you'd make up the needed $ even at min wage (16hr/24hr x 8 bucks or whatever)
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If my holosun can withstand thousands of rounds on my 7.5in 5.56 AR,(some of that bumpfire)  it can handle 9mm. Never lost zero. I don't baby it. I even blew off the leafspring on my SLR adjustable gas block, so it's not a "soft" AR. If you want a "known" brand like aimpoint, wait a little longer and save up. I love threads like this. I have just a little bit less than an aimpoint pricepoint, but I want aimpoint quality. Get a used one off the EE or wait another little bit and get a damn aimpoint. Sell some plasma, go mow some lawns. Rummage thru your gun shelf and sell something off. Go sell some lemonade. Go look for a part time job on the weekend. In 2 or 3 weeks you'd make up the needed $ even at min wage (16hr/24hr x 8 bucks or whatever)
View Quote
Actually, for my use, I trust a trijicon just fine. And it was 375 bucks.

I have plenty of money for whatever optic I want. This is my 4th trijicon. An acog, accupoint, accupower and now this. None have ever failed me. I like the FOV on my new MRO. The only thing I dont like, is how the brightest setting is nearly blindingly bright and causes this wierd red back reflection in the glass. I imagine it wont do that in bright sunlight though, and the only time I can ever see needing that setting is if Im on Tatooine.

I acutually wanted something other than an aimpoint. Something with a larger FOV. If an eotech wasnt so damn heavy, Id have gotten one. But I dont want a brick sitting on top of my 9mm SBR. Im sure the t2 is a fine optic. Maybe its marginally better. The MRO is perfectly fine for a defensive carbine / SBR. I like the larger FOV, and I trust it. The only negative is setting number 6. And that might be a positive if I ever am on the surface of the sun.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top