Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/18/2017 10:54:22 PM EDT
Should I be able to see little micro dots making up the main dot?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Should I be able to see little micro dots making up the main dot?
View Quote

Astigmatism. Use a proper optic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Turn down the brightness, it'll help.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Astigmatism. Use a proper optic.
View Quote
If it's astigmatism the proper solution is to get glasses, or if you already have them get a new prescription.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If it's astigmatism the proper solution is to get glasses, or if you already have them get a new prescription.
View Quote
It will still look like shit. A 1X prismatic, such as Vortex/Burris, with s focus adjust is a nice solution. Or low powered 1.5X ACOG with glasses. Or any scope.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It will still look like shit. A 1X prismatic, such as Vortex/Burris, with s focus adjust is a nice solution. Or low powered 1.5X ACOG with glasses. Or any scope.
View Quote
It's still faster and more forgiving to head position even with a little bit of bloom.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sounds like you need to get your astigmatism corrected.  My Aimpoint PRO and Trijicon MRO look like a dot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your bad eyes don't translate to everyone else's.

OP, you have an astigmatism. I do too and the T2 is more than gtg for me. Dial the brightness down to see if that helps, or corrective lenses.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]
What's messed up is that I have corrective lenses.  That's why I was asking the question.  I would think I shouldn't see this.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's messed up is that I have corrective lenses.  That's why I was asking the question.  I would think I shouldn't see this.
View Quote
Best way to tell if it's your eyes is to take a picture of the dot with your camera. If it's still a starburst, it might be an issue with the optic. If it's a perfect dot, it's definitely your astigmatism.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I can get a cluster of 3 dots at times depending on lighting and range but most of the time it is a dot.  Low light / close range is where i can get some of that "grape cluster" effect but it has had little impact on the sight's utility.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#11]
My eyes are fine. But OP has astigmatism. And glasses won't help. Some of you are so far up Aimpoint's ass, that even with astigmatism and it looking like shit, y'all still are happy. OP, trust me. Go to the store and take a look at a Vortex or Burris prismatic. Vortex even has a 1X. Adjust focus to your eye and it will be clear and crisp. Don't listen to these Aimpoint shills. I've even seen a thread here where peeps were recommending someone thousands of dollars worth of dangerous eye surgery to keep and enjoy their Aimpoint. Just let that mentality sink in...
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My eyes are fine. But OP has astigmatism. And glasses won't help. Some of you are so far up Aimpoint's ass, that even with astigmatism and it looking like shit, y'all still are happy. OP, trust me. Go to the store and take a look at a Vortex or Burris prismatic. Vortex even has a 1X. Adjust focus to your eye and it will be clear and crisp. Don't listen to these Aimpoint shills. I've even seen a thread here where peeps were recommending someone thousands of dollars worth of dangerous eye surgery to keep and enjoy their Aimpoint. Just let that mentality sink in...
View Quote
I'm curious how you're still not banned given how many reports against you.  Add another...we can hope...

OP, there are a lot of options for you.  Try the aforementioned brightness adjustments.  Mine star bursts a but but to no considerable degree.  Astigmatisms play out in different ways.  

My eyes actually see Eotechs worse that the LED emitter options.  Aimpoints hold value well; at worst you can sell it and go another route.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Talk with your doc about your astigmatism, and turn your brightness down.

Corrective lenses solved my astigmatism issues with red dots.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I saw you say an Aimpoint for you was like staring down the end of a laser pointer. Most people are supposed to just see a dot, even on cheap Chinese red dots.

There's a good chance that means you may have astigmatism or some other eye issue. I would see an eye doctor ASAP and ask about that specifically.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd still rather see a 4moa blurry dot in my pro than cheaper prism sights.

Why? Faster, more rugged, more forgiving with less than ideal head position a battery that lasts for years while on. I literally leave my optic on for years. I can grab it and have it ready all the time.

Sure prism sights work without a battery but that won't help at 0300 in the dark
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
This generalization is nonsense.  I have astigmatism as do many other replying in this thread.  I don't see stars in my Aimpoint unless I take off my glasses.

I'm no expert on astigmatism, but the vast majority of folks can be greatly helped by proper prescription glasses.

OP, I suggest you see an optometrist to determine if your Rx needs updating.
It's also possible that you have cataracts, which is an entirely different subject.

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Aimpoints look like a cluster of grapes or a bug splat to me.

I use 'em because they're fast up close and can't be beat for CQ stuff, especially at night.  I'm good out to 100 yards with it, which is fine for my uses.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an astigmatism and I also pass my eye exams with 20/20 vision, so my doc says I don't need glasses. For me, red dots only have the starburst effect while looking through them indoors. Once I step outside they clear up to the dot you'd expect.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Best way to tell if it's your eyes is to take a picture of the dot with your camera. If it's still a starburst, it might be an issue with the optic. If it's a perfect dot, it's definitely your astigmatism.
View Quote
This. The camera won't lie.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top