Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2017 11:47:48 AM EDT
Where you you all like to mount your red dots? I understand that different people have different vision, build, optics, etc. But for me, well I've burned through 500 rounds of ammo between zeroing and re-zeroing my red dot at different positions and I can't seem to decide what is best for me.

I am running a 16" Daniel Defense with a Meprolight RDS and Troy fixed iron sights. Currently the optic is sitting on both the upper receiver and the hand guard. The way the  quick release and mounting is setup, I have inserts at both ends of the quick release levers that go in to the picattiny rail, and a middle insert, which seems the most solid. So, very front of optic/QD mount is just off the upper receiver, and the rest is on the upper receiver. This way is how I can get the best field of view for myself. I run the stock all the way out, and the glass isn't cluttered by the iron sights. But, holding it without my support arm makes the whole rifle unbalanced. With support arm, it's fine.

Moving the optic entirely onto the upper receiver improves the balance, but the iron sights distract me from the red dot when I have the dot centered in the middle. But, the balance is much better. Moving it all the way back to just in front of the rear iron sight, the field of view is too cluttered.

Maybe I should get a heavier stock to better balance the heavy optic being somewhat in front of the center of the rifle? I run my STR all the way out, anything else is uncomfortable to handle.

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have to mount my meprolight split like yours or else my magnifier doesn't fit I know some people say you aren't supposed to split mount a RDS, but I haven't had any issues.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Nor have I had any issues except the balance feels better with it closer in, but the view suffers. Might look into different fixed iron sights when I have money for them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
For me I find that if I mount optics like that Mepro RDS as far back (towards the stock just in front of rear iron)as I can, the sight body sort of ghosts out of view. That's what I'd do to take full advantage of that things  large lens and thin sides.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep mine on the receiver only. I've tried various positions and all the way forward seems to work best for me. My BUIS are co-witness and are kept folded down when not in use, so there's no issue with them cluttering the sight picture. I really don't like 1/3 co-witness for several reasons, but I guess I'd need to go that way if I had none folding iron sights.

adult imagecertificity.com
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much front of the receiver, slight cantilever for full size works well.
You have got to get used to both eyes open, then much clearer FOV/no surprises.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Considerations

- Weapon balance is more important than total weight
- What is the viewing lens size, and how able are you to find the dot through the window from odd shooting positions?
    - RDS should be both eyes open
           - Closer to the eye could be better to find the dot but could also obstruct FOV around the user more
           - Further on the receiver might be a bit quicker for many on speed when raising the rifle at a slight cost to sloppy cheekweld leniency
- Monolithic rails are the only scenario I'd consider bridging the receiver - rail gap for an optic

Ultimately, pick what you like.  I run my micros at the furthest end of the upper receiver
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Considerations

- Weapon balance is more important than total weight
- What is the viewing lens size, and how able are you to find the dot through the window from odd shooting positions?
    - RDS should be both eyes open
           - Closer to the eye could be better to find the dot but could also obstruct FOV around the user more
           - Further on the receiver might be a bit quicker for many on speed when raising the rifle at a slight cost to sloppy cheekweld leniency
- Monolithic rails are the only scenario I'd consider bridging the receiver - rail gap for an optic

Ultimately, pick what you like.  I run my micros at the furthest end of the upper receiver
View Quote
I shoot with both eyes open and yes with the RDS that far forward it is easy to pick up the red dot in the middle of the window.

But, what are monolithic rails?

As for bridging the gap, does it help it the rail fits as well on both ends as it does just on the receiver?

Even putting the optic just at the front end of the receiver seems to cause cluttering issues with the iron sights to my eyes, the red dot is more towards the top of the glass for it to be a clear view of the dot.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I shoot with both eyes open and yes with the RDS that far forward it is easy to pick up the red dot in the middle of the window.

But, what are monolithic rails?

As for bridging the gap, does it help it the rail fits as well on both ends as it does just on the receiver?

Even putting the optic just at the front end of the receiver seems to cause cluttering issues with the iron sights to my eyes, the red dot is more towards the top of the glass for it to be a clear view of the dot.

Thanks for the input everyone!
View Quote
I find RDS placement is mostly personal preference. I would say *most* people use a cantilever mount toward the front of the upper receiver. The two things I would really focus on are the balance of the weapon and then if you'd rather be more situationally aware around the optic (more forward) or if you would rather have more FOV inside the optic (more rearward).

Monolithic rails are basically machined as a matched pair between the upper/handguard portions of the rail. Normally there is a very slight mismatch between the two rail sections that causes undue stress on the optic. For magnified optics or two-piece ring mounts I would strongly advise not bridging the gap. For single piece mounts and RDS, I personally don't think it matters enough to sweat it if that's where the sight is most comfortable to you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine are on the receiver as far back as possible. Just my preference. More field of view, nose up to the charging handle. Works for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mine are on the receiver as far back as possible. Just my preference. More field of view, nose up to the charging handle. Works for me.
View Quote
Do you find any peripheral obstruction?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is how they were designed in the 1980s'. Military did extensive testing I heard. It's the way I use too.

But now a says every teenager has been trained with first person shooter simulators. Didn't have that aspect back then.

After using them for 20+yrs, I don't think it matters. It's more of an "use what you are used to".
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't. But then again, I was paid to conduct CQB with a 4x Acog.

It really comes down to how much you train. After a couple pallets of ammo at 5-10 yards, we were very fast and deadly with those Acogs.

Just a little side info to help the Op in his pursuit of happiness.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I avoid bridging, but with your red dot you might have to if you are to meet your needs.  Not a whole lot of downside with  dot used at close range compared to a scope with risk of long range POI shift with pressure on the rail. Ultimately, personal preference.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
A little in some instances, but I shoot better with it there.

The farther forward I move it, the more my groups open up. I am not kicking in doors at the time being.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't like having my nose to the charging handle. It never made sense to me, even though whether it is taught in the army is hit-or-miss, half my vet friends say it was standard, the other half laugh, across ages from Vietnam vets to just got their discharge papers. The collapsible stock makes sense for vehicle shooting or smaller framed folks, but for me the best is all the way out. I'm only 6', not ridiculously tall or anything.

Quoted:

I don't. But then again, I was paid to conduct CQB with a 4x Acog.

It really comes down to how much you train. After a couple pallets of ammo at 5-10 yards, we were very fast and deadly with those Acogs.

Just a little side info to help the Op in his pursuit of happiness.
If it wasn't for the strain on my neck and shoulder I'd be ok with having the stock closer in. But I'm not planning on clearing too many rooms beyond my own home. Even then, I do "training" sweeps with how the rifle is setup.

And while I would love a 4x Acog on my rifle, I can't afford it nor the 2 pallets of ammo (assuming 10cases per pallet, 1000rds per case = 20k rounds), which would be nearly $8000 with having to replace a new barrel lol.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't like having my nose to the charging handle. It never made sense to me, even though whether it is taught in the army is hit-or-miss, half my vet friends say it was standard, the other half laugh, across ages from Vietnam vets to just got their discharge papers. The collapsible stock makes sense for vehicle shooting or smaller framed folks, but for me the best is all the way out. I'm only 6', not ridiculously tall or anything.

If it wasn't for the strain on my neck and shoulder I'd be ok with having the stock closer in. But I'm not planning on clearing too many rooms beyond my own home. Even then, I do "training" sweeps with how the rifle is setup.
View Quote
I nose up due to personal preference, not suggesting that it is " proper" or tacticool. It works for me. I'm 5'6" and dont have arms like an ape. All mine are waffle stocks, only one fixed (A1) and it feels like a stretch for me.

As far as the vets, I'm sure there were many shooting styles and only one right way taught.

I just go with what gives me the best results with my gear.

If I were to mount forward of the receiver, I'd cantilever the optic, personally.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:03:30 AM EDT
[#17]
If this was an HBAR, I'd mount it back a little. Where it is now allowed me to see the wind flags at Camp Swift well while on the rifle at 600yds.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Ended up moving the optic onto the receiver. Moving the TLR-1 HL from the bottom to the top of the rail and thus having to move the front iron sight closer by 6 spaces made the perfect balance! Now I love how the rifle handles. Being able to reach out farther with the support hand also helps.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I keep mine on the receiver only. I've tried various positions and all the way forward seems to work best for me. My BUIS are co-witness and are kept folded down when not in use, so there's no issue with them cluttering the sight picture. I really don't like 1/3 co-witness for several reasons, but I guess I'd need to go that way if I had none folding iron sights.

https://s19.postimg.org/u4xcsg2gj/arstones-op.jpgadult imagecertificity.com
View Quote
How do you flip the front sight up if the flashlight is in the way? I had to move my fixed front sight behind the light.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is how my RDS is mounted, I've had it like this since I got the sight! It's worked out great and even the wife was getting 4" groups at 50 yards her first time even shooting a rifle!!

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I normally run mine as far back as possible . Today I was at the range sighting in a PRO that I just bought.
It is mounted 2 slots from the front of receiver and I shot great.

The only difference is 2 moa dot size (vs 4 moa) and lower 1/3 mounting.  I may move my others forward?

I'm going to do some experimenting. Surprised me as I always did better farther back. I would not think that mounting differences would matter?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I normally run mine as far back as possible . Today I was at the range sighting in a PRO that I just bought.
It is mounted 2 slots from the front of receiver and I shot great.

The only difference is 2 moa dot size (vs 4 moa) and lower 1/3 mounting.  I may move my others forward?

I'm going to do some experimenting. Surprised me as I always did better farther back. I would not think that mounting differences would matter?
View Quote
Hell anything can make a difference for shooting if you haven't ever tried lower 1/3 it might be you acquire a more natural cheek weld with it and therefore feel less uncomfortable. You just got the PRO after a Comp M2 though right? I would suspect it's probably the dot size if so. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hell anything can make a difference for shooting if you haven't ever tried lower 1/3 it might be you acquire a more natural cheek weld with it and therefore feel less uncomfortable. You just got the PRO after a Comp M2 though right? I would suspect it's probably the dot size if so. 
View Quote
Yes, Comp M2 until recently, PRO is a new addition. Love the sight and the dot size makes a bigger difference than I imagined.  Enough so that I picked up a Comp M3 also.

And agreed, the 1/3 does seem more natural/comfortable for me,  and probably does account for the better
groups.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes, Comp M2 until recently, PRO is a new addition. Love the sight and the dot size makes a bigger difference than I imagined.  Enough so that I picked up a Comp M3 also.

And agreed, the 1/3 does seem more natural/comfortable for me,  and probably does account for the better
groups.
View Quote
I like my 4 MOA T1 I read that the short tube combined with the same 4 MOA LED used in the Comp M3 projects the dot to be only 3.4 MOA. I think 3 MOA dots would be the perfect medium. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like my 4 MOA T1 I read that the short tube combined with the same 4 MOA LED used in the Comp M3 projects the dot to be only 3.4 MOA. I think 3 MOA dots would be the perfect medium. 
View Quote
You may be right on the dot sizing.

My comp 2s are 4 moa (obviously ) and the m3 and PRO are the 2moa. I think I will like them better.

I shoot fine with the M2s on 18x18 plates out to 200, I really don't try much past that.
Bolt guns I usually push to 3-350. Past that my skills dwindle.

I had the T1 for awhile, micros are just too small for me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here is how my RDS is mounted, I've had it like this since I got the sight! It's worked out great and even the wife was getting 4" groups at 50 yards her first time even shooting a rifle!!
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee378/jjper091/B3F9EB8E-CEDB-4D1B-873B-796EFB4E4075_zpscwoyn32a.jpg
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee378/jjper091/6157F22A-2C3B-4DCE-8C1B-D5C2EAAAEBC5_zps5541g28t.jpg
View Quote
I moved my optic to where you have it. Works for me and I'm getting similar groupings free standing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#27]
On my Aimpoint M3s and my PRO, I only use LaRue mounts, and I mount them with the front of the mount flush with the front of the receiver rail. I have tried it at every single slot from forward to rear, and found that  far forward works best for me.

On my Trijicon MRO, I set it just in front of the folding rear sight where I could comfortably get my finger in there to fold it down with gloves on. Somewhere like 2-3 full rails showing behind the stock mount.

Try it different ways and see what works. I would avoid mounting over the gap if at all possible, and I use LaRue FF Foreends that absolutely do not move, and I still say that.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I always run my dots as far forward on the upper as I can go before the rail. It gives me a wide field of view around the sight. With an RDS you really should be running both eyes open for situational awareness and allowing the dot to superimpose itself on the focused target. Having the sight forward just gives you extra visibility around the sight and it's mount, at least for me it does.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I always run my dots as far forward on the upper as I can go before the rail. It gives me a wide field of view around the sight. With an RDS you really should be running both eyes open for situational awareness and allowing the dot to superimpose itself on the focused target. Having the sight forward just gives you extra visibility around the sight and it's mount, at least for me it does.
View Quote
+1
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top