Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2017 4:09:19 PM EDT
Got my 1-8x Strike Eagle scope in the mail last night.....
Not sure how many are out yet but, I doubt there is alot since it is new.

Anyways, I figured I would share some pics and thoughts on it.
It is very nice.... I really like it.
It is shorter in length that I would of though... over an inch over all from my GEN II Primary Arms 1-6x scope.

The illumination is very bright... almost too bright when you crank it up in daylight.
This pis is from a dark room with it 2 clicks from highest setting. Its nice and bright but, clear.

I need to get some daylight photos of it but, it was really windy today and I was in a hurry to go eat some Mexican for Cinco de Mayo too.

This was for my daughters Radical Arms AR that I got for her ($499 rifle not bad for the $$$).
I wish I had got one for me now.... might have to order another one.

First thing I noticed was how sharp and crisp it was compared to my Vortex Crossfire 1-4, Primary Arms 1-6X, and my Bushnell 1-4 AR scope.
Really impressive and the reticle is very nice and alot larger than the Bushnell 1-4AR which is what my daughter was having a hard time with.

So far, I am glad I got it and can't wait to take it out again this weekend.... I stretched it only to 150 yards today but will go further later this week.
Vortex warranty is best in industry IMHO so if I do have issues, I know they will take care of it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Non- technical comment removed.... ~L
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That reticle works great for holds. It's the same BDC graduations as my Razor II 1-6x and I have used that with 55grn and 75grn .223 for 3 gun. The 55 grn are right on with a 200 yard zero and then 300-600 holds. With the 75grn and the 200 yard zero but the next lines are 275, 375, 475 and 575.

Enjoy the scope. I am sure you and your daughter will like it.
View Quote
Good to know.....thanks.

This one is for the daughters rifle so she doesnt get out past 250 with it and only shoots 55 and 62gr but, I just might another one on one of mine and try it with 69gr IMI. I am really liking that round so far.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I got one last week to replace my SE 1-6x, tried it today at the range and compared to my SE 1-6x. I think I got a defective unit because the image focus is not good, especially on higher magnification vs the SE 1-6x I have it's night and day. I will claim for an exchange and check with another one if it's better, I hope because it's really not good. For the rest I like the new reticle much better than the one in the SE 1-6x and also the SE 1-8x is a bit smaller and lighter.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got one last week to replace my SE 1-6x, tried it today at the range and compared to my SE 1-6x. I think I got a defective unit because the image focus is not good, especially on higher magnification vs the SE 1-6x I have it's night and day. I will claim for an exchange and check with another one if it's better, I hope because it's really not good. For the rest I like the new reticle much better than the one in the SE 1-6x and also the SE 1-8x is a bit smaller and lighter.
View Quote
I had this same experience with the one I bought. I promptly returned it. I'll stick with the 1-6 for now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I had this same experience with the one I bought. I promptly returned it. I'll stick with the 1-6 for now.
View Quote
Sound not good I will post my experience when I get a new one
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#8]
What is the mag at 1x? Is it 1.1 or something like 1.5?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#9]
What's the eye relief like at 8x?  The last time I tried out a 1-8x with a 30mm tube, the experience was... underwhelming.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Did I miss where you told us how much it costs?  

I like the looks of it a lot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Mr Gunsngear will review
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What is the mag at 1x? Is it 1.1 or something like 1.5?
View Quote
It's not a true 1x for sure, I would say 1.1 - 1.2
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's the eye relief like at 8x?  The last time I tried out a 1-8x with a 30mm tube, the experience was... underwhelming.
View Quote
I get a full clear view at 3"
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did I miss where you told us how much it costs?  

I like the looks of it a lot.
View Quote
I grabbed  mine from brownells with  pepr mount for $400
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the looks of that.  I'm having a tough time making a scope decision, lol.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#16]
It may be a good bargain, but there is only so much you can do with 8x zoom for that price.  Something has to suffer and it is probably with the optical clarity at higher magnification.  And then there is the problem with all 1-8x scopes with only 24mm objective lens:   A tiny 3mm exit pupil at 8x.  Eye positioning must be exact.  Move even one millimeter to the side or up or down and you get plunged into darkness and lose the image entirely.   Low light performance must suffer since you will have a 5mm pupil in low light but only a 3mm exit pupil on the scope, so the image will not fully activate the rods and cones in your eye. That means a dim, grainy, brownish, yellowish image in low light.  Maybe Zeiss, Swarvoski, Kahles and some others might get away with this to some extent, but even they will dim out because of the laws of physics.  Extraordinary glass they have can't overcome the limitations of the 24mm objective when it comes to lateral movement of they eye in the eye box and the low light problem.

The short main tube may limit mounting options, depending on application.  At least the weight is reasonable at 16.5 ounces.  

This may be a great value, but I just think 1-8x scopes with 24mm objectives are a fad that will pass.  When attempted at this price point, I'm skeptical about performance at 6x and higher.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It may be a good bargain, but there is only so much you can do with 8x zoom for that price.  Something has to suffer and it is probably with the optical clarity at higher magnification.  And then there is the problem with all 1-8x scopes with only 24mm objective lens:   A tiny 3mm exit pupil at 8x.  Eye positioning must be exact.  Move even one millimeter to the side or up or down and you get plunged into darkness and lose the image entirely.   Low light performance must suffer since you will have a 5mm pupil in low light but only a 3mm exit pupil on the scope, so the image 2 not fully activate the rods and cones in your eye. That means a dim, grainy, brownish, yellowish image in low light.  Maybe Zeiss, Swarvoski, Kahles and some others might get away with this to some extent, but even they will dim out because of the laws of physics.  Extraordinary glass they have can't overcome the limitations of the 24mm objective when it comes to lateral movement of they eye in the eye box and the low light problem.

The short main tube may limit mounting options, depending on application.  At least the weight is reasonable at 16.5 ounces.  

This may be a great value, but I just think 1-8x scopes with 24mm objectives are a fad that will pass.  When attempted at this price point, I'm skeptical about performance at 6x and higher.
View Quote
somehow I doubt it look at all the people that will buy this thinking it's the greatest thing ever while the glass or light gathering ability won't be up to snuff. I'm sure I'll catch hell for this but buying Chinese glass with a 8x magnification range just seems ignorant.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#18]
So 4 youth all under 15 years of age shot it on steel targets from 50 to 350 yards today.......
Not one complaint and lots of smiles so for me; It works.

People love to complain about Chinese glass and foreign made stuff, as they type, chat, post, drive or wear stuff not made in the USA.
I am as Patriotic as they come with 7 Combat tours in 27 years but, Americans would be lost without imports now days.
Still no complaints about this scope from me..... except maybe I should of bought another one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#19]
The exterior finish, style, shape and turret adjustments look identical to my PA GenIII.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The exterior finish, style, shape and turret adjustments look identical to my PA GenIII.
View Quote
Because it comes from the same source......
People design the reticles then source parts from only a few major overseas makers.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It may be a good bargain, but there is only so much you can do with 8x zoom for that price.  Something has to suffer and it is probably with the optical clarity at higher magnification.  And then there is the problem with all 1-8x scopes with only 24mm objective lens:   A tiny 3mm exit pupil at 8x.  Eye positioning must be exact.  Move even one millimeter to the side or up or down and you get plunged into darkness and lose the image entirely.   Low light performance must suffer since you will have a 5mm pupil in low light but only a 3mm exit pupil on the scope, so the image will not fully activate the rods and cones in your eye. That means a dim, grainy, brownish, yellowish image in low light.  Maybe Zeiss, Swarvoski, Kahles and some others might get away with this to some extent, but even they will dim out because of the laws of physics.  Extraordinary glass they have can't overcome the limitations of the 24mm objective when it comes to lateral movement of they eye in the eye box and the low light problem.

View Quote
I like your idea on this, MS. Give me a good, light ,illuminated , 2x10 or 3x12 with good optical characteristics and a BDC ret and I'm in. Sig has a 3x12x42 Tango with an ACOG-like drop reticle at about 21 oz IIRC, but I can't find and reviews on it and Sig optics have been pretty spotty.  You know anything about those?

I own a Strike Eagle 1x6 and think it's a great value for an entry level optic. Peeped through the new SE 1x8 and it didn't move me.  But I'd just looked through a Steiner a moment before and, well...
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I got one, true clarity is not the best at 400-600 targets but totally acceptable for hitting 12inch plates. Eye relief better than my $2000 VCOG.
24mm object lens not a issues I think for a 5.56 rifle. 8 power a little overkill for most local 3gun matches, but totally needed at larger 3gun matches.
Need to find targets scan on 4 power then crank up if you need more power to make a shot.
At $430 (what I got it for) I think a steal.  My only complaint the BDC line are a little too thick, could be half the thickness.
Shooting 500 yards there is about .2 mil difference in line thickness where hold actually is.  

My desire to get one, I have a ton of rifles I didn't want to drop over $1000 on another scope.
If I was only going to eve buy one scope then Vortex Razor or My VCOG.
But I needed a little more power this is a great option for a 3gun scope.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top