Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2017 7:07:37 AM EDT
If these 2 sights were the same price, which one would you purchase and why?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If these 2 sights were the same price, which one would you purchase and why?
View Quote

Hand's down the Kahles due to weight (and it's a great looking scope).  Here's a great video for comparison.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link above is not working.  

I have many scopes from many different companies.  Don't have either of those, but a Kahles Helia CL I have in 2-7x36 is easily the best scope I've ever looked through optically and in mechanical tracking accuracy and repeatability.  Stunning optical clarity, especially in low light.  Not really a fan of 1-6x scopes in general because of the small 24mm objective and typically porky weight penalty on most.  The Kahles is lighter than the Vortex, but still shackled with the 24mm objective.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a joke question, right?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#4]
No trolls allowed
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
K16i, no question.  I like the reticle options more, lighter weight, amazing glass, and great illumination.

The Razor is no slouch, but the Kahles is just better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
How battle durable is the Kahles?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
K16i, no question.  I like the reticle options more, lighter weight, amazing glass, and great illumination.

The Razor is no slouch, but the Kahles is just better.
View Quote
I've been using a Razor 1-6 for 3 Gun for the last 5 years, it's a great scope. I've also shot rifles with the Kahles 1-6 on it, if they were the same price I'd buy a Kahles BUT for the $700 price difference I'd be hard pressed to trade in my Razor. As far as the reticle, I just feel extremely comfortable with my Razor's.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Uhhh..........
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm making the same decision between the Kahles and the Razor. Does anyone find on the Razor that the 2/10 mil adjustments and the whole mil reticle subtensions are too coarse in practical use?
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Uhhh..........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhhh..........
Not helpful.

Reviews speak to the amazing glass and reticle options but not its ruggedness for the most part.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm making the same decision between the Kahles and the Razor. Does anyone find on the Razor that the 2/10 mil adjustments and the whole mil reticle subtensions are too coarse in practical use?
View Quote
What are you planing on shooting? 3 gun?
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
If I'm not mistaken, the Razor HD series was designed for harsh conditions- the reason for it being heavier than other variables. I believe that Kahles scope was designed to be the best at gaming and hunting.

There is a reason .mil and gov guns are seen with Razors HDs.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, the Razor HD series was designed for harsh conditions- the reason for it being heavier than other variables. I believe that Kahles scope was designed to be the best at gaming and hunting.

View Quote
Kahles is Swarovski's "tactical line", as it were, and is meant for police/military, as well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
There have been a few pics of the K16i in use on SOF weapons.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been wrestling  with this question for over a month now.I just don't understand  how the kahles,  or even swarovski  scope reticles could compare to the jm bdc reticle on the razor.The subtensions  on the 2 higher end scopes don't match up with anything.I think it's like 460 yards is the first line down  on the reticle, if sighted at 200.What am I missing.My strike eagle and razor jm, line up with every .223 load from 200, all the way to 600.Someone please  explain this to me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have been wrestling  with this question for over a month now.I just don't understand  how the kahles,  or even swarovski  scope reticles could compare to the jm bdc reticle on the razor.The subtensions  on the 2 higher end scopes don't match up with anything.I think it's like 460 yards is the first line down  on the reticle, if sighted at 200.What am I missing.My strike eagle and razor jm, line up with every .223 load from 200, all the way to 600.Someone please  explain this to me.
View Quote
I believe the stadia are in mils or moa, not tied to a specific BDC for a single cartridge.  SM-1, I believe is in mils.  That works better for me.  BDC for specific cartridges, tied to yards or meters are only estimates.  Change barrel length, bullet weight and BC, change attitude a BDC gets way off.  A scope with matching mil/mil or moa/moa turrets and reticle is more versatile.  Just get ballistic software like Strelok+ Pro, which is less than $20.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I believe the stadia are in mils or moa, not tied to a specific BDC for a single cartridge.  SM-1, I believe is in mils.  That works better for me.  BDC for specific cartridges, tied to yards or meters are only estimates.  Change barrel length, bullet weight and BC, change attitude a BDC gets way off.  A scope with matching mil/mil or moa/moa turrets and reticle is more versatile.  Just get ballistic software like Strelok+ Pro, which is less than $20.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, I get that, but my point is, if you are shooting at a 3 gun march how could you possibly calculate this while on the clock?If you were to try and remember the holds,  what would it be like?Ok, the target is 350 yards,  so I need to hold up 3/4 of the way between the 3rd and 4th hashmark? The whole mildly moa reticles just seem slow, and not very precise.
I have shot my strike eagle out to 600 yards and all of the lines match up to my load, except the 600.I now know I have to hold a line width high to make 60p yard hits, that all I need to remember. Doesn't easier translate  to faster?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ok, I get that, but my point is, if you are shooting at a 3 gun march how could you possibly calculate this while on the clock?If you were to try and remember the holds,  what would it be like?Ok, the target is 350 yards,  so I need to hold up 3/4 of the way between the 3rd and 4th hashmark? The whole mildly moa reticles just seem slow, and not very precise.
I have shot my strike eagle out to 600 yards and all of the lines match up to my load, except the 600.I now know I have to hold a line width high to make 60p yard hits, that all I need to remember. Doesn't easier translate  to faster?
View Quote
As long as you remember your drops, you can easily holdover the proper amount.  It's not as fast (if you don't have your shit memorized), but it makes the optic more suitable for a wide range of guns, calibers, environments, and loads.

The BDCs on my ACOGs were essentially worthless on my SBRs until I started fiddling with my zero distance and even that isn't perfect.

When I had a Razor 1-6x, I specifically avoided the JM1 because I didn't want a BDC.  It's not hard to work up the exact drops for your specific setup and memorize them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#19]
You must be right, I am definetly  the weird one.I see alot of people are trading off their Razors for  more expensive optics.One moRe question then. IN order to make my strike eagle reticle work for me at all distances, I had to load my rifle to .556 velocities. Why not just do this?, or find the bullet with the  BC, to make it work?I would gladly  buy a $2000, or $3000 scope,  if I honestly  though it would be better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You must be right, I am definetly  the weird one.I see alot of people are trading off their Razors for  more expensive optics.One moRe question then. IN order to make my strike eagle reticle work for me at all distances, I had to load my rifle to .556 velocities. Why not just do this?, or find the bullet with the  BC, to make it work?I would gladly  buy a $2000, or $3000 scope,  if I honestly  though it would be better.
View Quote
...and this is why bdc reticle for the general population suck.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:19:42 AM EDT
[#21]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:20:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
What round do you fire? Anything bigger than 62 grain at 5.56 velocities and the BDC reticle on the Razor (and strike eagle I believe) and it really starts to get too far from the reticle. 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

...and this is why bdc reticle for the general population suck.
View Quote
..................this

It beats a duplex though. But I'd rather just have a plain old mil dot than a bdc.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This x 2.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3 gun would be an appropriate scenario as it tends toward practical shooting.

Given the Razor's popularity, I assume the coarser hashes and adjustments are not an issue but I was curious if anyone who has some time behind the optic found themselves wishing for finer adjustments and subtensions.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Any links to those pics? Just curious to see.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Given the Razor's popularity, I assume the coarser hashes and adjustments are not an issue but I was curious if anyone who has some time behind the optic found themselves wishing for finer adjustments and subtensions.
View Quote
Some folks like really fine reticles although I've found that 'coarser' reticles like the JM1 work the best since you don't have to remember as much during the course of fire.  You're always holding dead on, top of plate or bottom of plate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've been using a Razor 1-6 for 3 Gun for the last 5 years, it's a great scope. I've also shot rifles with the Kahles 1-6 on it, if they were the same price I'd buy a Kahles BUT for the $700 price difference I'd be hard pressed to trade in my Razor. As far as the reticle, I just feel extremely comfortable with my Razor's.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

The JM-1 is excellent.  Reticle design is the weakness of most LPV.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Any links to those pics? Just curious to see.
View Quote
Search for the Sopmod Block II pic thread. 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have used one in 3-gun for several years.  They are perfect for quick and dirty practical shooting.  I don't want half-mil  subtensions.  Too busy.  And a BDC can be adapted to any bullet weight just like a mil reticle can.  It's not a PRS optic.  It doesnt need a PRS reticle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I am shooting hornady 55 gr sp .I am running about 3150 fps, and here is how it works out.
200 zero
300 reticle 2.4 moa, my load 2.5 moa
400 reticle 5.6 moa my load ,5.95moa
500 reticle 9.5 moa, my load 10.29 moa
600 reticle 14.6 moa, my load 15.75 moa.

With the exception of the 600 yard reticle subtension, these are close enough for most 3 gun targets.

Swarovski has a subtension moa deal on their site too
3.6, 10.8, and 18.0 .Maybe this lines up with a 220 swift, or maybe  a 45/70, but nothing even close for 556.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Is the Razor's JM-1 reticle the preferred reticle and would that be the biggest deciding factor towards purchasing it over a Kahles?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top