Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2017 2:58:31 PM EDT
I would like to see an Aimpoint with the brightness adjustment dial on the left side of the optic.  Like the m4s, but on the left side.

One of the things taught in carbine class was to never take your hand off the pistol grip.  The reason for that, if a bad guy turns a corner, it can take over a full second to get your hand back onto the grip and finger onto the trigger.  One second is a long time in a situation like that.  Studies have shown eight shots can be fired in one second.  It would be really nice to have the brightness adjuster on the left side, where it can easily be reached by a left hand.  It would also mean the flip magnifier wouldn't get in the way of the adjustment knob either.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Or you could just reach your left hand over the top of the rifle?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. You learn to just deal with it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is on level 10 and doesn't change. Anything less and dot is too faint to quickly see, even at night.

Also in your scenario with bad guy being that close you should probably remove the magnifier.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The earlier M2/M3 series were designed so you could mount the optic 90 degrees counter-clockwise to place the control knob on the left instead of the right, reversing the W/E adjustments. Should work w/the PRO as well, but I don't have one to test.

Tomac
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's a tradeoff to minimize perceived tube effect to righties, possibly to avoid accidental adjustment by rubbing against gear when slung as well.

I actually prefer the knob placement on the right with the M4S because my left thumb and forefinger make a ring around the ocular allowing me to adjust while keeping a clear view through the optic and my finger tips don't bump the ocular bell.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine is on level 10 and doesn't change. Anything less and dot is too faint to quickly see, even at night.

Also in your scenario with bad guy being that close you should probably remove the magnifier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

With the magnifier flipped down, it somewhat makes the knob difficult to get to.

This pic shows the magnifier in the up position.  

Quoted:
I think it's a tradeoff to minimize perceived tube effect to righties, possibly to avoid accidental adjustment by rubbing against gear when slung as well.

I actually prefer the knob placement on the right with the M4S because my left thumb and forefinger make a ring around the ocular allowing me to adjust while keeping a clear view through the optic and my finger tips don't bump the ocular bell.  
That is a good point about the knob rubbing on stuff while the rifle is slung.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
No, it'd slightly obscure my left eye more shooting righty.  Reaching over the top is no problem and no need to change it before, during or after action in the same environment
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The earlier M2/M3 series were designed so you could mount the optic 90 degrees counter-clockwise to place the control knob on the left instead of the right, reversing the W/E adjustments. Should work w/the PRO as well, but I don't have one to test.

Tomac
View Quote
This is what I do and I prefer M2/3s or the PRO. 
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

With the magnifier flipped down, it somewhat makes the knob difficult to get to.

This pic shows the magnifier in the up position.  
http://www.larue.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/sassy_product_detail/p5066873.jpg

That is a good point about the knob rubbing on stuff while the rifle is slung.
View Quote
I use that exact arrangement on my SBR and the same mechanics apply with and without the 3x flipped in behind.  Just lay your left hand on top of the optic with your thumb and forefinger encircling the ocular and it's right there between your fingertips.  The knob doesn't extend past the rear of the ocular bell so the 3x doesn't really interfere. 
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I just leave my Aimpoint on my work rifle on. It's set just bright enough to see during the day and its not too bright at night either.

But thats a good idea the other guy mentioned, just rotated the tube in the mount until its where you want it on pre-m4 models.

I kind of figured the biggest reason for tucking the switch where it is on the M4S was a matter of protecting it from getting broken. Thats probably the most common failure I've seen with the M4, M3 etc.. is the switch getting physically broken from getting dropped, struck or abused on hard surfaces.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I do, and never really thought about the tactical consequences behind it.  When at the range, shooting on a bench, use my left hand over the top, never break grip or sight lock.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top