Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2017 1:01:01 AM EDT
Just ordered a Primary Arms 1-6x acss gen iii and noticed they are made from 6063 instead of the more common 6061. After some quick research 6061 is the superior aluminum over 6063, nearly twice as strong (like the 7075 vs 6061 argument). Any idea how much that matters in a scope? And why PA chose 6063 over 6061 other than cost savings? I know PA puts out good stuff and the acss lineup are like tanks, just wondering if the 6063 is a "worse" material for scopes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Not trying to sound like a dick here, but come on, let's be realistic.  It's a sub $300 LPV with a shit ton of features.  They're going to have to skimp somewhere (or everywhere) to bring that scope out at that price point.  

So long as you're using this thing on a range gun/plinker/hunting rifle/etc, I doubt you'll ever run into any issues.  If you do, it has a lifetime warranty, so not a whole lot to worry about.  If this is going on a "serious use" rifle, I'd spend quite a bit more for something that is actually going to be built like a tank.

ETA:  I'm not sure where you're getting your "built like a tank" moniker from for the ACSS LPVs.  Sure, they get good reviews (for what they are), but I've never heard anyone mention them in the same sentence as something like NF or an ACOG.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you sound like a Dick. Just more of a curious question as the vortex strike eagle is nearly the same price and is 6061 as is the atibal xp8. I'm not bashing PA at all. I'm fully aware PA scopes are an awesome value for the money. Their customer service and the acss reticle is why I sold my gen ii 1-6 to get the gen iii. I'm not a fan of the strike eagle reticle and wanted a 1-6, not a 1-8 for .223/5.56. I guess we can say "built like a tank" in relative terms as well. I'm not putting them in the night force/acog category, nobody is saying that, but I've seen some pretty decent torture tests online and the PA stuff comes out pretty well. It was more of a casual browsing the specs and being a little surprised "Oh. Damn. They use 6063 not 6061.?"
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think you sound like a Dick. Just more of a curious question as the vortex strike eagle is nearly the same price and is 6061 as is the atibal xp8. I'm not bashing PA at all. I'm fully aware PA scopes are an awesome value for the money. Their customer service and the acss reticle is why I sold my gen ii 1-6 to get the gen iii. I'm not a fan of the strike eagle reticle and wanted a 1-6, not a 1-8 for .223/5.56. I guess we can say "built like a tank" in relative terms as well. I'm not putting them in the night force/acog category, nobody is saying that, but I've seen some pretty decent torture tests online and the PA stuff comes out pretty well. It was more of a casual browsing the specs and being a little surprised "Oh. Damn. They use 6063 not 6061.?"
View Quote
Is there a torture test out there where they torture the 1-6 optics? 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is all I've ever seen.  

https://youtu.be/EN5RXfg3RDw

The AK operators union have some videos with a PA 1-6 mounted but nothing that I've seen where they freeze it lok the prism scope.  

I have a 1-8 inbound from a EE score.  Looking forward to it for my 18" build.  The 6063 is a bit disappointing but something has to give with price it's being offered at.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Only one I can find with a quick search right now. And as mentioned, AKOU has beat them up in reviews.

https://youtu.be/2FL98k2rx5c
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 1-8 inbound from a EE score.  Looking forward to it for my 18" build.  The 6063 is a bit disappointing but something has to give with price it's being offered at.
View Quote
Yeah I understand to get it in that price range they have to cut cost somewhere, but as mentioned, there are a handful of other scopes in that rough price range with a 6061 tube construction. That said, in my experience, the clarity and overall quality of the PA's is great. Bring on the fire, but I've compared and shot my PA 4-14x44 mil dot next to a vortex 6-24x and I wasn't blown away with the vortex over the PA like you'd expect based on price.

I was just more asking if anybody has any experience with the different aluminums and if in fact, in a scope, 6063 is really that detrimental.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah I understand to get it in that price range they have to cut cost somewhere, but as mentioned, there are a handful of other scopes in that rough price range with a 6061 tube construction. That said, in my experience, the clarity and overall quality of the PA's is great. Bring on the fire, but I've compared and shot my PA 4-14x44 mil dot next to a vortex 6-24x and I wasn't blown away with the vortex over the PA like you'd expect based on price.

I was just more asking if anybody has any experience with the different aluminums and if in fact, in a scope, 6063 is really that detrimental.
View Quote
According to primary arms all of their scopes are 6061. I asked on Amazon answer from PA was 6061.

Amazon
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

According to primary arms all of their scopes are 6061. I asked on Amazon answer from PA was 6061.

Amazon
View Quote
Interesting. Thanks Mcbowflex! That description of 6063 seems to be in several resellers descriptions as well as PA...even says 6063 in the online manual of the 1-6x Gen iii.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#9]
My 1-8 showed up today.  Box flat out says 6063.  

Overall impressed with the scope.  Eyebox is a little unforgiving.  

This should suffice while I save up for the platinum version, though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I'm confused and curious if they really are 6061 now. Maybe a typo, but it's stated as 6063 in too many places to be a typo that was overlooked in my opinion. I replied to the Amazon answers from PA.

You'll love the scope. They are good to go. Just wanted clarification on if the tubes are "weak" compared others. Have heard about the eyebox on the 1-8. Being a 24mm exit pupil at 8x, that's why I decided to keep with the 6x. Will let you know about my eyebox on the 6x tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#11]
-Box says 6063.
-True/Improved 1x: Main reason I bought it. It's maybe slightly better than my gen ii...1.2-ish. On PA's Instagram page it definitely looks like a "true" 1x, so I used my cell phone to take a video...looking through the camera makes it appear closer to true 1x. I'm not bashing on the scope at all, and am fully aware an absolute true 1x at this price won't happen, just my findings looking for improvement from my gen ii.
-Glass clarity: Seems much better.
-Eyebox: Great. Plenty for me, I see no complaints at all there. Have yet to look through a 1-8x model to compare it to.
-Finish: Beautiful/flawless.
-Weight: The other main reason I bought it. 18oz with flip up caps and turret covers (says 18.1oz on box). So compared to my Gen ii, there's no real difference. 17oz no flip ups. 16oz no flip ups or covers. So the stated weight on the website of "15.52oz total" is scope completely stripped and not in a normal/true configuration to be able to claim 1.88oz lighter than Gen ii at 17.4oz). Weight in my ADM Recon is exactly the same as with my Gen ii. 1lb 8oz.

Overall I like the scope, but I don't think I would sell my Gen ii again to get the Gen iii. Again, not a bash on the scope, they are awesome scopes for the money, just hopefully some helpful info.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
EDIT WITH UPDATED INFO:  I got to the bottom of it.

That Amazon answer was not 100% correct. The tube is 6061. There are parts that are not stressed that are 6063   We will clarify the description and update the manual
View Quote
I definitely appreciate the update and I'm sure others do as well. Keep up the great work at PA!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That Amazon answer was not 100% correct. The tube is 6061. There are parts that are not stressed that are 6063   We will clarify the description and update the manual
View Quote
Thank you sir. Love my PA optics, and appreciate the presence on the boards.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks PA! I'm sure people will appreciate the correct info. As with the corrected advertised weight as well.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top