Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2017 2:23:14 AM EDT
I recently bought a Holosun HS515BU red dot sight to put on my AR Pistol.  (I don't need to hear anyone's opinion on AR pistol's, I like mine just fine)  This model is a fairly new model from Holosun but has some great features.  Has auto on, which was a must have feature before I would consider any red dot, along with an auto off after 10 minutes of no movement.  This is an improvement from other models that go from a couple hours to 8 hrs to shut off.  Has a quick release base, two different height spacers, killflash, flip open covers and shrouded windage and elevation turrets.  Has two different dot styles, either the circle dot (just like an Eotech) or a regular 2moa dot.  Has the super long battery life just like the high priced sights have, with the battery mounted in a slide out tray under the optic.  It's night vision compatible, with 2 settings, and waterproof.

The killflash and covers easily unscrew to remove, which I did when I sighted it in.  The windage and elevation screw covers also double as screwdrivers for adjusting the sight.  It holds zero great when I dismounted it and remounted it and held great while shooting.  I got mine off Ebay for $209.99 shipped.  It is made in China but is of high quality, in my estimation.

I know this isn't an Aimpoint, or Sparc or whatever is the current Tier 1 Operator sight but I found this sight to be excellent, high quality and dependable.  I have not thrown it around or banged it into trees, just shot it on a pistol.  The auto on is instantaneous with even the slightest movement or bump of the weapon or optic.  The auto off does go off after 10 minutes as I checked it numerous times.  No need to set the timer, it is automatic and the only time delay setting available.  It will not turn off while using or carrying or moving the weapon.  Even the slightest movement turns it on instantly to the last setting and will stay on until either the weapon stops moving for 10 minutes or it's manually turned off.

Holosun HS515BU

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:26:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Okay, so you like it a lot. Nice features and benefits. Holosun also makes the Sig branded dots.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay, so you like it a lot. Nice features and benefits. Holosun also makes the Sig branded dots.
View Quote
Are you talking about all of the Romeo series or just the 4/5?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#3]
i looked at the holosun, they looked great, reviewed well, even the torture tests

but without a lifetime warranty it was not an option
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have several Holosuns now... love 'em.  They are my go to micro red dots.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i looked at the holosun, they looked great, reviewed well, even the torture tests

but without a lifetime warranty it was not an option
View Quote
Holosun does have a lifetime warranty. Check out their website and it is also stated on Primary arms site who was one of the first to introduce them.

I don't own one myself but this is pretty well known here.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Holosun does have a lifetime warranty. Check out their website and it is also stated on Primary arms site who was one of the first to introduce them.

View Quote
This to me is not a lifetime warranty... It's a 5 yr warranty on the lens and 3 yr on the electronics.

"August 1, 2014
To the original owner, your Holosun product is warranted free of defects in materials and workmanship with the Holosun Limited Lifetime Warranty. This warranty specifically applies to the metal structure of the product and does not apply to the optical and illumination systems. The optical system is covered by the 5 year warranty. The illumination system including electronics is covered by the 3 year warranty. Batteries are not covered under warranty.
In the event of a confirmed defect under this warranty, we will, at our option, repair or replace the product. This Limited Warranty does not apply to: (a) asserted defects caused by normal wear and tear of any part including knobs, camouflage finish, etc.; (b) asserted defects caused by modification, unauthorized service, accidents, neglect, misuse, abuse, improper maintenance, acts of Nature; and (c) asserted defects involving subjective personal likes or judgments. "

http://holosun.com/documentation/
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
already addressed above that thier website says otherwise.
and the 5year non transferable so it lowers the resale value.

really, if they step up and offer lifetime transferable it might increase sales.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple of Aimpoints and a few Holosuns as well, not a bad optic:

Pretty happy with it so far.

http://www.canadianfirearmcentral.ca/showthread.php?548-Holosun-HS515BU-with-2moa-dot-and-65-moa-circle-unboxing
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

already addressed above that thier website says otherwise.
and the 5year non transferable so it lowers the resale value.

really, if they step up and offer lifetime transferable it might increase sales.
View Quote
Well that sucks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks good to me. I've seen many more positive comments of Holosuns from actual owners than negative reports. I wouldn't sweat the warranty. Looking at many Holosun, Romeo, Primary Arms, Tru-Glo optics, it appears they're all kissing cousins. Actually, I know they are. I bet worldwide, more asses have been dusted with Chicom optics-equipped weapons than U.S. manufactured.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:19:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks good to me. I've seen many more positive comments of Holosuns from actual owners than negative reports. I wouldn't sweat the warranty. Looking at many Holosun, Romeo, Primary Arms, Tru-Glo optics, it appears they're all kissing cousins. Actually, I know they are. I bet worldwide, more asses have been dusted with Chicom optics-equipped weapons than U.S. manufactured.
View Quote
This pretty much right on. Also, someone said "Holosun makes Sig" a few posts back. The insinuation being that Holosun "makes" the Romeo line of Sig optics. Wrong. Spoiler alert... Holosun doesn't even "make" Holosun optics!  I don't doubt that Holosun, Sig Romeo sights, Primary Arms (and many more) ARE made in the same Chinese factory. I just doubt it's a factory owned by any one of these companies.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:58:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I also am fairly certain that Holosun, Primary Arms, Tru Glo, etc. are made in the same facility in China.  Probably separate lines, but who knows.  I did a fair amount of research into each of these 3 brands and saw little difference except price and the auto on/auto off feature.  I could not verify the Primary Arms optics had auto on, so I passed on them.  Tru Glo and Holosun did so I began searching features and price.  When I found the HS515BU on Holosun's site, saw the features then did a few searches for prices I found it to be by far the best value and features.  I wanted the best value for the lowest price (don't we all) but wanted to stay around $150 or less since it was going on a pistol that I planned to use for home defense (and casual shooting), which is why I wanted auto on.  It would literally be a grab and go and needed to be ready to shoot.  The HS515BU I found was about $100 less than manufacturer price so I jumped on it as it was everything I wanted, plus.

I did not look at or consider the warranty, but I understand the idea that a lifetime warranty means more confidence in the sight's longevity.  For the price I got I have no problem with a 3/5 yr warranty.  Its at least half the price of any of the other "Tier 1" brands and as much as 1/4 the price of some.  I found it to be equal in quality and dependability.

The auto on feature is a must have as far as I am concerned.  I don't want to leave a sight on at a low setting, just so the battery can last years, and then have to adjust the brightness to get it into action.  With this sight none of that is necessary, set it where you want it and that's where it will come on at.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I also am fairly certain that Holosun, Primary Arms, Tru Glo, etc. are made in the same facility in China.  Probably separate lines, but who knows.  I did a fair amount of research into each of these 3 brands and saw little difference except price and the auto on/auto off feature.  I could not verify the Primary Arms optics had auto on, so I passed on them.  Tru Glo and Holosun did so I began searching features and price.  When I found the HS515BU on Holosun's site, saw the features then did a few searches for prices I found it to be by far the best value and features.  I wanted the best value for the lowest price (don't we all) but wanted to stay around $150 or less since it was going on a pistol that I planned to use for home defense (and casual shooting), which is why I wanted auto on.  It would literally be a grab and go and needed to be ready to shoot.  The HS515BU I found was about $100 less than manufacturer price so I jumped on it as it was everything I wanted, plus.

I did not look at or consider the warranty, but I understand the idea that a lifetime warranty means more confidence in the sight's longevity.  For the price I got I have no problem with a 3/5 yr warranty.  Its at least half the price of any of the other "Tier 1" brands and as much as 1/4 the price of some.  I found it to be equal in quality and dependability.

The auto on feature is a must have as far as I am concerned.  I don't want to leave a sight on at a low setting, just so the battery can last years, and then have to adjust the brightness to get it into action.  With this sight none of that is necessary, set it where you want it and that's where it will come on at.
View Quote
personally i prefer a warranty, i would rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.
there are good optics int he same price range that offer lifetime
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
personally i prefer a warranty, i would rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What optics are those in the same price range with lifetime?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
vortex offers a couple of choices
ultradot, popular among bulleseye shooters

just look around they are out there
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Cant debate the warranty thing. Companies that are able to offer a lifetime on anything is special. Non gun related think about how many of your products have a lifetime. If i only bought items with a lifetime warranty i wouldn't have much and id miss out on some great products.

But that said, i paid $155 for my HS503BU and $154 for my HS515C.  At about $150 these optics are a steal, especially the 2 reticle versions ! The only downside I've seen with them are the mounts (standard). I don't have much time with QD on the 515 yet as it just got delivered friday, but it seemed okay or at least get you by until an upgrade. A saturday range day proved again it was a good choice at the price point (that one went on my 300blk pistol).
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

vortex offers a couple of choices
ultradot, popular among bulleseye shooters

just look around they are out there
View Quote
The Warranty for the Ultradot pretty much mirrors that of the Holosun.

Only covers original owner, and there are a lot of exemptions. I would stick with the vortex.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Vortex, Bushnell (elite tactical line is legit) and Burris all have a no questions asked warranty with optics in the$200-$300 price range.

I can vouch for the Bushnell one.. I bought an elite tactical 1-6.5 off ebay, it developed specs on the inside of the tube.  I sent it back and they fixed it up with no fuss.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cant debate the warranty thing. Companies that are able to offer a lifetime on anything is special. Non gun related think about how many of your products have a lifetime. If i only bought items with a lifetime warranty i wouldn't have much and id miss out on some great products.
View Quote
While I get your point, it's not hard to offer a "lifetime warranty" on an aluminum tube with no moving parts, that you then turn around and deny if it "shows signs of accident or abuse".  

To me their warranty is no more than marketing aimed at someone not reading further into it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

While I get your point, it's not hard to offer a "lifetime warranty" on an aluminum tube with no moving parts, that you then turn around and deny if it "shows signs of accident or abuse".  

To me their warranty is no more than marketing aimed at someone not reading further into it.
View Quote
Your spot on.. if Holosun really wants to get serious and very competitive this is the direction they will move in.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I got my 515CU for $215 and they have a solid reputation as seen in some of the torture tests. It funny seeing now the Eotech and Aimpomt T1 issues and how much people paid for them. I'll gladly take 2-3 Holosuns. The Sig Romeo looks nice, a friend just bought one so I'll get to see it personally soon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I appreciate the review OP.  Nice pistol.

I have been eyeing these sights and your review helps in my decision making process.  I ultimately want my pistol uppers using the same optic if possible.  Economical and good are great attributes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I got my 515CU for $215 and they have a solid reputation as seen in some of the torture tests. It funny seeing now the Eotech and Aimpomt T1 issues and how much people paid for them. I'll gladly take 2-3 Holosuns. The Sig Romeo looks nice, a friend just bought one so I'll get to see it personally soon.
View Quote
I've got a fair number of Holosun/PA mini-RDS, and I give my Sig Romeo7 the edge in quality.  Of course, it's also a bit more expensive.

ETA: corrected who I was responding to.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I ordered the HS503GU yesterday for my son's AK. Trying to navigate the Attero Arms site for ordering the mount, but it's asking for log in and all that, and I don't see where to create a profile.

Back to the sight, can't beat it for the price. Most of the PA sights are lasting years, even under hard use,  and this should be no different. For the price, if it lasts 4 years, buy another, and you're up to 8 years still cheaper than an Aimpoint.

They both hold zero, both are rugged, both are LED designs, the new Holosuns are 30-50,000 hr battery life. There wre a good many issues with the Aimpoint pro when it came out, and it's still $150 more. Unless I was going into combat where I'd pick the old M68 Aimpoint ( my best friend broke his in combat but his and one other is all he saw in his unit over four or five deployments 82AB and his wasn't new when it was issued ), this is more than enough sight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Those other optics listed at near the same price point, I doubt any have the auto on/auto off feature.  This is the must have part for me and why I went with the model I did.  I have no doubt the Holosun will perform above my expectations for years to come.  And I also suspect in a few years there will be even better sights out there for maybe near the same price and will be able to upgrade for less total investment.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top