AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Like the circle/dot ret, like the tubeless view, like the size... But Im 0-2 w/ the EO. 512 that needed batts replaced every time it came out of safe & 553 that had the lamination issue. The were both repaired & returned in a timely fashion.
View Quote
Did they work after the repair?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Did they work after the repair?
View Quote
Upon quick inspection, they seemed to work fine. They were never remounted... After the 553 went down, I used it as an excuse to get my aging eyes a LPV
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Just now saw this post had to read thru

As of June 2016 Eotechs were still the only red dots for SF guys. I say that because June 2016 my team time ended and I retired last October (2016).
I still talk to the guys on my old team as of right now they still have EOTechs.
If there is something other than Aimpoints coming? I do not know But if so chances are it will take awhile to outfit all of SF /SOCOM.
Just how long...Here is a example, the RISII (front sight post version) rail although adopted round 2009 I did not see one for every SF guy until 2014!
Any new gear usually goes to teams up for combat rotations first, rest of everyone else waits inline.  

EOTech issues; I have seen a ton everything from the battery connector debacle around 2008 that effected a lot of them, to dots going off for no reason.
Even the coating coming off the lens in bad weather. Now ... I would say 75% of the time no issues.
And as far as the whole temperature zero shift issue. Really not a issue for SF since during a 6 month deployment to the middle east, Unless you zeroed in the summer and
stayed thru winter without zeroing its a non-issue.
Guys still use them because: That's all they know and have for red dots. And if they have a bad one usually just swap it out for a working one.  
And really I would say for real combat OPS most guys run Elcans anyways.

FYI We had both Eotechs and Aimpoint Comp M4s around 2010 but SOCOM decided we only needed one red dot Optic. And turned in the Aimpoints.
So here we are 2017 looking for a new CQB optic.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just now saw this post had to read thru

As of June 2016 Eotechs were still the only red dots for SF guys. I say that because June 2016 my team time ended and I retired last October (2016).
I still talk to the guys on my old team as of right now they still have EOTechs.
If there is something other than Aimpoints coming? I do not know But if so chances are it will take awhile to outfit all of SF /SOCOM.
Just how long...Here is a example, the RISII (front sight post version) rail although adopted round 2008 I did not see one for every SF guy until 2014!
Any ne gear usually goes to teams up for combat rotations first, rest of everyone else waits inline.  

EOTech issues; I have seen a ton everything from the battery connector debacle around 2008 that effected a lot of them, to dots going off for no reason.
Even the coating coming off the lens in bad weather. Now ... I would say 75% of the time no issues.
And as far as the whole temperature zero shift issue. Really not a issue for SF since during a 6 month deployment to the middle east, Unless you zeroed in the summer and
stayed thru winter without zeroing its a non-issue.
Guys still use them because: That's all they know and have for red dots. And if they have a bad one usually just swap it out for a working one.  
And really I would say for real combat OPS most guys run Elcans anyways.

FYI We had both Eotechs and Aimpoint Comp M4s around 2010 but SOCOM decided we only needed one red dot Optic. And turned in the Aimpoints.
So here we are 2017 looking for a new CQB optic.
View Quote
Just curious to hear someone like yourself's opinion, what optic do you run or would you run on your personal rifle on the civilian side?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a Aimpoint guy for red dots
I own a T1 and a Aimpoint Pro.

I love the Pro for the price I think best Aimpoint sight.
Having said that I just got a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot..Will never buy another Aimpoint again
At $200 bucks for optic and mount It works great and lets face it, as a civilian now I don't think any of my civilian ARs
are gonna need to be used in a war zone.

I know my previous post it seemed I totally bashed EoTechs. I have experienced loosing my zero on a Aimpoint twice in combat (from falling and dropping rifle.) It was the older CompM2.
So The main reason why I prefer Aimpoint. Eye can only focus on one thing at a time , EOTech reticle too busy for me. Im faster / better with single dot.

FYI
Starting Next months SWAT Magazine (I believe its the release) 2 part / issue article  
I cover my use of all SOPMOD over my entire time in SF to include 6 combat tours
I address Both Eotechs and Aimpoints and other optics as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:01:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm a Aimpoint guy for red dots
I own a T1 and a Aimpoint Pro.

I love the Pro for the price I think best Aimpoint sight.
Having said that I just got a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot..Will never buy another Aimpoint again
At $200 bucks for optic and mount It works great and lets face it, as a civilian now I don't think any of my civilian ARs
are gonna need to be used in a war zone.

I know my previous post it seemed I totally bashed EoTechs. I have experienced loosing my zero on a Aimpoint twice in combat (from falling and dropping rifle.) It was the older CompM2.
So The main reason why I prefer Aimpoint. Eye can only focus on one thing at a time , EOTech reticle too busy for me. Im faster / better with single dot.

FYI
Starting Next months SWAT Magazine (I believe its the release) 2 part / issue article  
I cover my use of all SOPMOD over my entire time in SF to include 6 combat tours
I address Both Eotechs and Aimpoints and other optics as well.
View Quote
I will definitely pick that up. Thanks for chiming in!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, thank you for your service, posting here and telling us about the article.  And who said gun rags never have anything good to say?  

Thank you for chiming in on the PA dot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I will definitely pick that up. Thanks for chiming in!
View Quote
+1 I'll definitely have to give that article a look 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fuck it. If they're good enough for our boys downrange they're good enough for me. I'm going to buy one
View Quote
Exactly,
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:50:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yup. Feelings wins out over hard facts with most people regardless of who they are or what they do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People do love that reticle and window
Yup. Feelings wins out over hard facts with most people regardless of who they are or what they do.
A better FOV and faster reticle isn't just feelings. I think looking at a smudged red LED in a tube sucks too; not going to fault anyone for choosing something else as a preference.

I bet if Elcan could figure out what they're doing and get that Specter HCO they showed at SHOT last year to market with a more realistic housing, the people who love EOTech would be happy to move over to it. Even better field of view and none of L3's failings.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#11]
To refresh everyone's memory, here are the optics being evaluated to replace the EOTech red dots:

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/11/09/ussocom-evaulates-replacement-for-eotech-sights/

No decision has been made, as far as I was able to tell.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top