Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2017 3:02:47 PM EDT
I'm looking transition one of my rifles (16" barrel) away from red dots, and I've been looking hard at the Leupold VX-R Patrol (1.25x4). It seems to fit my criteria for a relatively lightweight (sub 15oz), variable optic suitable for distances from 100-300m, and can be illuminated.

With that said, are there alternatives options that I can look at? The VX-R Patrol seems to be old in comparison to some of the newer offerings, and I'm not privy to all the optics makers. Budget will be in the similar range of $500-1000, not including a mount. It'll will primarily be a range toy, but I would like to take it to a carbine course sometime this year.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Steiner P4Xi 1-4..DGS has them on special with an ADM mount and Steiner throw lever for $599.

I have a 3-9 VX-R Patrol scope. It's a great scope in it's own right.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The motion sensor greatly extends battery life on the VXR. They easily last 12+ months with regular range trips, riding around in a vehicle, in and out of the safe. Not Aimpoint lifetime, but definitely no worries about swapping batteries every range trip.
I didn't even know they had an off button until a friend showed me.
I have the circle dot reticle. 200yds is my longest range. 2liters are easy pickens and 20 oz bottles aren't safe.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
No issues with my VX-R Patrol; I have it mounted on an American Defense 20 MOA mount and it's my "racy" gun. I'll post a pic once I get home.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I ran my VXR 1-4 on my SCAR17 for a while before moving to an AR.

SCAR17 currently has the VXR 3-9.  Been happy with both scopes.

As mentioned the Steiner at DSG is a good option.

Also look up the SWFA optics line. Ive been running their fixed 10x on 50 BMGs and 308s for years. They make a 1-4 and 3-9 also. Heavier, but built like tanks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in the same boat as you. Looking for a 1-4 and was really close to buying the VX-R Patrol, but me being my anal self kept on researching reviews and finally came across the Steiner PX4i, which I bought at DSG with the ADM Recon mount and throw lever included! The Steiner has several advantages over the Leupold that I felt justified in buying it instead of the VX-R Patrol.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
That DSG combo is hard to beat!

Gonna go look deeper into the Steiner and SWFA offerings.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That DSG combo is hard to beat!

Gonna go look deeper into the Steiner and SWFA offerings.
View Quote

I was literally debating the same scopes, this is why I chose the Steiner (it arrives tomorrow ):

1) Steiner has a more truer 1x than the Leupold 1.25 (most say the Leupold is closer to 1.5)
2) I absolutely HATED the push button illumination on the Patrol (the Steiner has an know for illumination)
3) Steiner has a very high level brightness (easily daylight bright with full sun)
4) The reticle on the Steiner is more a lot more useful IMO.
5) German glass (Steiner) > Japanese glass (I "think" Leupold uses Japanese glass in their scopes)

If I hadn't settled on the Steiner, I would have gotten the SWFA SD 1-4 as my second choice.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The motion-activated Firedot on the Patrol has incredible battery life and daylight brightness, if needed.  The original battery on my 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol is over three years old and still working fine with regular use.  And its always ready and working when you pick up the rifle, like an Aimpoint red dot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#9]
VX-R Patrol is the lightwt low power inexepensive (for what you get) variable gold standard

I would rather have average glass with good electronics and internal mechanicals than great glass with less than average internal mechanicals & electronics
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:44:53 AM EDT
[#10]
personally love the leupold you are considering.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I just went through this and ended up going with the Trijicon AccuPower 1-4X24.  I preferred the much closer to true 1X, the capped turrets and the ability to reset to zero.  I went with the 5.56 bullet drop reticle.  SportOptics currently has it for around $650ish delivered.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just went through this and ended up going with the Trijicon AccuPower 1-4X24.  I preferred the much closer to true 1X, the capped turrets and the ability to reset to zero.  I went with the 5.56 bullet drop reticle.  SportOptics currently has it for around $650ish delivered.
View Quote

The price is tempting as well, and it's looks to be a better option compared to the Steiner (except price). 
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:03:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I just wen through this exercise recently as well.  My decision came down to both the Steiner and the VXR Patrol with SPR reticle.  

I ultimately went with the Leupold Patrol mainly for the weight and reticle.  I prefer red dots since my aging eyes are an issue.  The SPR reticle with illuminated dot it very quick and I really like it for close to medium range shooting  I mounted the scope on a Aero precision SPR scope mount.  This is a sweet light weight setup.  The clarity of the glass is very clear.  I may still purchase the Steiner for another build but I am extremely pleased with the Leupold.  I have to admit that I also like supporting local companies as Leupolds facility is literally minutes away from where I live.  Everyone that has looked through the scope really likes it. The 1.25 is actually more like 1.5 like others have mentioned.  This is a non issue for me.  I purchased my scope new from Botach for $499, and they are still having the sale today.  Yeah I know Botach does not have the best reputation, but I received my scope NIB within a week.  I ordered my Aero Scope mount on Amazon for $69 shipped so my package was less than the excellent deal DSG has.  I could not find this scope cheaper anywhere else.  Good luck choosing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Leupold VX-6 1-6X.

Same illumination (minus the Firedot bdc and CM options), different reticle options, same light weight, truer 1x, and more magnification.

They are coming out with a second gen now, and many of the VX-6's can be found on sale. They do cost more than the Steiner, but they are a solid option.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The price is tempting as well, and it's looks to be a better option compared to the Steiner (except price). 
View Quote

You have a lot of good options within your stated budget.  Ignore the price difference, decide on your feature set and buy accordingly.  Six months from now you won’t notice the difference in price, just whether the thing is working for you or not.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#16]
At under 12 ounces, there are no other good LPV options IMO.  I've been using a VX-R Patrol on my 16" carbine and have come to appreciate what it brings to the table - light weight, decent optics, a usable close-to-mid range reticle and a daylight visible dot.  If weight is not a consideration, then there are better options. The second gen Vortex PST 1-6 looks really nice, but at 22 ounces is almost 2X the weight of the Leupold. Mounted in a GG&G non-QD mount, the VX-R Patrol/mount combo weighs just 17 ounces.

Lightweight carbine build below weighs 7.5 pounds (sans the Malkoff light) and is better than 1.5 MOA precise with a variety of ammo with scope set to 4X;

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#17]
That's a solid looking rifle there 

I'm pulling the trigger on either the Leupold or Trijicon this week.

Since the Leupold is so light, I may spend some extra cash and get the Geissele mount. If I end up with the Accupoint, an Aero ultralight to balance things out. 
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I have had a VXR for about two years and take regular trips pig hunting. I kept finding myself in front of the safe deciding which rifle to take and I always grab the rifle with the VXR on it because of what has already been talked about here. Lightweight,good glass,never have to worry about the battery,dims down very low for night shots and I can see very well under the pig lights on the feeder. Hell I just bought another because it works so well for me.I don't have a Steiner or Trijicon but I do have several others and the VXR just works.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#19]
What sold me on the VXR was battery life. It always came back to that for me. Having aimpoints and ACOG's the optic has to be able to be "constant on" for me to consider it for a HD or duty rifle. All others i looked at may of had an edge on one point or another but non of the LPV had year + battery life. Some were 30+ hours to maybe a 100 on the high side. I change the battery on the leupold every January and its been 100%. Day light bright, light weight, descent reticle (SPR), nice glass, super long battery life. Down side is 1.25 seems closer to 1.5 and glass isnt ACOG clear (not to many optics are). Ive ran mine about 3 years now in ADM mount and has never lost zero.i would buy it again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I was also going through this thought process recently and also went with the Accupower 1x4.  There is a dealer on gunbroker who has them pretty cheap and has great feedback and that is where I got mine from.  If you email him directly you might be able to get it cheaper than map pricing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Best prices on Leupold? Seems Amazon is the lowest I've found, but open to more options.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Best prices on Leupold? Seems Amazon is the lowest I've found, but open to more options.
View Quote
Primary Arms looks to be selling some models for under $500. My guess is they're dumping old inventory, but that's a win for us consumers. 
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

libertyoptics had the VX-R Patrol for $499 last week when I was debating on getting it
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 and love it.  The Mil reticle is great for ranging, and the illumination is fantastic even in bright daylight.
I also have the SWFA SS 1-4x24, mostly because I got a smoking Black Friday deal on it when I was shopping for a Patrol 1-4x.  It's a great scope, but I do miss the brightness and battery life of the Firedot.  For the money, Leupold's VX-R Patrol series is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#25]
If you're gonna go magnified, go magnified.

Get an ACOG.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad to here the positive comments on the Patrol.  Ordered a 3x9 TMR yeterday, it will be at the house tomorrow.

I got the whole kit from LaRue.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a fan of the patrol. Have had one for a couple years now. I like for all the reasons already said, but also the mil turrets. I like being able to zero with any load and dial in the range. Taking it out to 500 is no problem. That said, the new EoTech 1-6 Vudu has my attention. Glass is reported to be outstanding and the FFP reticle design is superb. It's 17 oz, so not a beast like too many of the LPV scopes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:38:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of the patrol. Have had one for a couple years now. I like for all the reasons already said, but also the mil turrets. I like being able to zero with any load and dial in the range. Taking it out to 500 is no problem. That said, the new EoTech 1-6 Vudu has my attention. Glass is reported to be outstanding and the FFP reticle design is superb. It's 17 oz, so not a beast like too many of the LPV scopes.
View Quote

I'm looking at a Vudu myself lately.

I already own the Vudu 2.5-10x44 and it is Japan made glass.

My initial impressions here.

I have a couple of other optics with Japan made quality glass and it is equivalent to them.

The eyebox on it is very forgiving for a 10x optic. I want to say the glass is on par with a razor I once owned and regret selling.

What really has me interested in the 1–6x24 is the EOTech like reticle which I really miss and was my all-time favorite RDS but due to my astigmatism I can't own those anymore.

They also put a lifetime warranty on these unlike the two-year warranty for the controversial holographic sights.

I feel pretty confident about their warranty, because they did take care of me a couple years ago when I had bought a used XPS here on the EE that was delaminated and even though it was secondhand they still fixed it free of charge and I had it back in six days.

It also feels like it is built like a Night Force or Burris, so it definitely feels quality and durable.

There zero stop feature and zero reset turrets are pretty cool too on their higher magnified optic.

The only thing that does bother me about the 1-6x are the exposed turrets. Not so sure about that one but they do have a zero reset.

I go through optics like underwear, and this one is nice enough that I will probably end up keeping it for a while.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#29]
  Update

Got the Giessele mount and Leupold in today. So far it's just a mockup, as the scope still needs to be properly leveled and rings tightened to the recommended specs. 

With that said....my initial impressions are positive. The illuminated dot is bright and the glass is clear. The weight is a big positive, as the LWRC doesnt feel top heavy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
  Update

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o506/John_Nam/Mobile%20Uploads/20170323_144642_zpswlrbzzfr.jpg

Got the Giessele mount and Leupold in today. So far it's just a mockup, as the scope still needs to be properly leveled and rings tightened to the recommended specs. 

With that said....my initial impressions are positive. The illuminated dot is bright and the glass is clear. The weight is a big positive, as the LWRC doesnt feel top heavy.
View Quote
Where did you get the snazzy wall hangers?

Good choice on the scope.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Got them from Amazon. They're called Hold Up Display. Non-marring, and if properly anchored to studs...will hold up pretty much any rifle. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Are the Leupold mod AR 1 scopes decent enough for a hard use rifle? Just wanting something with magnification and under $300 they seem like a nice option.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Are the Leupold mod AR 1 scopes decent enough for a hard use rifle? Just wanting something with magnification and under $300 they seem like a nice option.
View Quote
Yes and no.  I assume you mean the Leupold Mark AR series scopes.

Yes they are up to hard use.  They are basically Leupold VX-1 hunting scopes with tactical MRAD turrets and reticles.   VX-1 scopes are successfully used in extreme hunting environments all over the world.  They are not tested for combat use, but can be run hard.  What the under $300 versions lack is no illumination - no superb motion activated Firedot, and they lack the VX-3 estimated grade of the glass quality.  On the plus side, they are probably the most lightweight tactical scopes available.

If you need an under $300 tactical scope, it is a good choice, especially the 1.5-4x20mm version.

However, for those who prefer a midpowered scope, a better choice in that price range is the MidwayUSA exclusive Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40mm.  It has Japanese glass that is substantially higher grade than the Mark AR.  It has tactical MRAD turrets of equal or better mechanical quality and tracking accuracy and a useful Mil Dot reticle. Often on sale for $299.  Worth at least 50% more.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes and no.  I assume you mean the Leupold Mark AR series scopes.

Yes they are up to hard use.  They are basically Leupold VX-1 hunting scopes with tactical MRAD turrets and reticles.   VX-1 scopes are successfully used in extreme hunting environments all over the world.  They are not tested for combat use, but can be run hard.  What the under $300 versions lack is no illumination - no superb motion activated Firedot, and they lack the VX-3 estimated grade of the glass quality.  On the plus side, they are probably the most lightweight tactical scopes available.

If you need an under $300 tactical scope, it is a good choice, especially the 1.5-4x20mm version.

However, for those who prefer a midpowered scope, a better choice in that price range is the MidwayUSA exclusive Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40mm.  It has Japanese glass that is substantially higher grade than the Mark AR.  It has tactical MRAD turrets of equal or better mechanical quality and tracking accuracy and a useful Mil Dot reticle. Often on sale for $299.  Worth at least 50% more.
View Quote
FWIW I've had both the weaver 3-10 and several Mark ARs, and prefer the Leupold all day.

The Weaver is a fine scope but I find l the knobs on the Leupold superior.  They also make a FireDot Mark AR Mod 1 that is only ~$50 more than the regular mil/mil model.

I have 3 of the 3-9x40 mil/mil Mark AR scopes and they're EXCELLENT for the $$$.  I only wish I had known about the FireDot TMR Mark AR before I bought them!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

FWIW I've had both the weaver 3-10 and several Mark ARs, and prefer the Leupold all day.

The Weaver is a fine scope but I find l the knobs on the Leupold superior.  They also make a FireDot Mark AR Mod 1 that is only ~$50 more than the regular mil/mil model.

I have 3 of the 3-9x40 mil/mil Mark AR scopes and they're EXCELLENT for the $$.  I only wish I had known about the FireDot TMR Mark AR before I bought them!
View Quote
Are you sure about the Firedot Mark AR being only about $50 more?  Most vendors are pricing the 3-9x version at $450.  While well worth it, that's more like $150 more.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#36]
DSG had the VX Patrol on sale recently for $499.  Amazon has them for $500 with free shipping.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Got them from Amazon. They're called Hold Up Display. Non-marring, and if properly anchored to studs...will hold up pretty much any rifle. 
View Quote
They look remarkably like guitar wall hooks.

And to stay thread-relevant, I have been satisfied with my 1st gen Viper PST 1-4.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top