User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the results play out like I'm anticipating, it could be another proof point to grab a T2 if in the market for a T1.  Between the glass clarity, dot, and housing updates, I felt the upgrade was worth it.  This would be another reinforced point.
View Quote
I agree.

Traded my T1 a week or so before this thread popped up and replaced it with a T2. I think  it was well worth the little bit of extra money to upgrade over the T1
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Another tier 1 guy talking about parallax in the T-1 compared to the T-2

Comparing the Aimpoint T1 to the T2 sights for the m4 / AR-15
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Where are we at with the results? I like everyone else want it to be done right but we are well over a month into this

Just curious
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Another tier 1 guy talking about parallax in the T-1 compared to the T-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp4Bb9AfTeM
View Quote
Yeah, it'll be nice to see numbers when they're available.  Curious why other trainers and users never really mentioned it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:18:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe because they were in different units? John was an army Ranger, Eric was a Delta Force operator.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I believe @rdennis is concerned about what is known as confirmation bias.
View Quote
Yes.  

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Update?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree .... Dude seems to have fallen off the map as he has always been very responsive to this thread up until the last week or two
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]
He'll come back saying busy or something.  I'd really like to see results.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I agree .... Dude seems to have fallen off the map as he has always been very responsive to this thread up until the last week or two
View Quote
I'm AL right now running a week long course. Course prep leading up to this kept me a bit busy. I want this done soon as much as those interested as well. Hoping to get it wrapped up when I get back in town next Monday. I know this is taking longer than most hoped, but I do need to prioritize paying clients over this. Not ducking this, just really busy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm AL right now running a week long course. Course prep leading up to this kept me a bit busy. I want this done soon as much as those interested as well. Hoping to get it wrapped up when I get back in town next Monday. I know this is taking longer than most hoped, but I do need to prioritize paying clients over this. Not ducking this, just really busy.
View Quote
Thanks for the update just glad you didn't forget about us
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow !

I've bee checking G.E.T.'s Facebook page for the results of the test.

How I missed all these threads about it is beyond me.

So much derp from some people without even waiting for the results is shocking.

I just saw a post come across my F.B. that he is back from running a Hostage Rescue class on the East Coast.

I'm sure once he settled in and has a chance to visit his family he will be getting the information ready to release.

Eric has shown a lot more restraint then I could have regarding some of these personal attacks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Sooooooo
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Still busy we presume.  Has he changed his stance on the T1 on his site?  If not, you can assume those results from the testing...
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Still busy we presume.  Has he changed his stance on the T1 on his site?  If not, you can assume those results from the testing...
View Quote
Yes, sorry. A week long course on the 22nd of this month that I had turned off got turned back on again last moment so I'm getting things together for it first. I know that it is getting a bit old- but it is what it is. Nothing has changed on my site.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#17]
And just to be clear- both parts of the testing are 100% done (the original and the follow on testing). All data is compiled and broken out in tables. All the graphics for the report are ready to be inserted. Website is done.

The first half of the report, that details the original testing is completed and proofread. It is 64 pages and took me about a week and a half to write. It is the second half of the report, detailing the follow on testing and comparing it to the original results that is incomplete. I expect it to be just as long as the first half. I have it started, but this month and last month have been very busy work-wise and I've been out of town a lot. So, finding the week and a half time to get the second half done has been problematic.

I'm out of town this weekend (today, tomorrow), then leaving for Colorado on Wednesday. I'll be back on the 29th. At that point- we are getting into the hot months, which are typically slow for me as I don't like to schedule the open courses I teach in Texas during mid-summer. I actually only scheduled one course for the whole month of June. So, worst case- when I get back from CO, I should have plenty of time.

Again- I apologize this is taking forever to get out. I do really want to get it done ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Keeping fresh even though we're a bit out
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah its just taken way to long at this point .... kind of lost interest meh
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah, the results will be interesting. It started with a lot of buzz, lost some sizzle, but it'll still be very interesting to see the compiled report
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#21]
64 page writeup, another 64 to go?

Know how I know that you work with the government?

Drop us some nuggets
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Keeping the dream alive

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#24]
He's out of town through the 29th
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#26]
haha isn't that the truth ....
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Just wrapped a week long land nav instructor development course in Boulder, CO. Should be driving back to Texas tomorrow morning- finishing this is back to the top of my list.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:57:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Eric,

Just checking if there are any updates?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Eric,

Thanks!
View Quote
Actually sitting down at the computer working on it now. Today is the first day I've had to get to it since the Colorado trip.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Actually sitting down at the computer working on it now. Today is the first day I've had to get to it since the Colorado trip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eric,

Thanks!
ETA given where you're at and where you need it to be?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:54:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll have to get back to you on that. Been up for an hour working on it and just caught a small error in the tables that combine the original and follow on test for one of the optics. Had to stop typing words to trace the error....
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Another issue popped up- looks like my desktop hard drive is throwing errors and is crashing. Lost about an hour of work. I moved the files I'm working on to a cloud folder and shortened the auto recovery cycle time. Amazon Prime One Day has a drive coming to me by 8pm today. I'm going to keep working, but if the crashes start happening more frequently- I'm going to have to shut down until I can get the new drive and image it. The crashes prompted me to check all my HDDs and SDDs, including my backup RAIDs on my server. Looks like they are all at the end of the lifecycle and 20tb of drives is on the menu today.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I see your skeleton and raise you this mess:
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I see your skeleton and raise you this mess: http://i.imgur.com/sqdEKMT.jpg
View Quote
Looks like your Mac is having some parallax issues too...
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Update- the contents below may be considered off topic, but I'm detailing what is going on to keep followers informed.

Yes it is. Basically what happened the other day is my desktop drive started failing. Wouldn't be a big deal, except my server computer (in the picture) had died a bit ago and I had been putting off fixing it because I prioritized course equipment purchases.

So, I got the server back up yesterday with enough time to get files over that weren't already on my RAID arrays (which are at 95% capacity....).

This morning was this:

Last year someone talked me into switching to an SSD for my desktop main drive, which in hindsight was a bad idea. It is now swapped out for a hybrid drive. Unfortunately, the old drive bricked before I could get a disk image or settings backup done.

So here is where I am:

Today, I am re-installing all my apps, emails, accounts, etc. As of right now It isn't going too bad.  Microsoft office is still installing, but should be done soon.

By 8pm today, I should have new drives for my RAID arrays. This is where all my work files, videos, pictures, and the main testing files are. These are 10tb each and one backs up the other. They are at 95% capacity. When the main desktop drive started to fail, I ran a health check on them and saw the health was declining and a number of errors were in the logs. As a result- I have shut them down. I don't want to risk the data there so I won't be accessing the information there until I get the new RAID drives set up, which will be 20tb ea (16tb RAID5) and get the old data transferred to them.

Depending on transfer times (shouldn't be too bad with Thunderbolt 2), I may not be back up and running until Friday evening.

I know this is crap for people waiting on this- but I can't risk the work photos (and a large number of old unit photos), videos, website data, etc.

I'll keep this thread updated on the progress here and I want to reassure you all that this report is currently at the top of my task board so as soon as this is done, I'll be back on it and give a time estimate.

Big lesson learned- although I hate office work and IT crap, you definitely can't blow it off. I'll definitely be upgrading my home office infrastructure here later this month.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Looks like your Mac is having some parallax issues too...
View Quote
Yes, yes it is...
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#39]
OT, but I had a computer built for gaming and everything else. Total beast. I run the system on a 240SSD, and the files are all stored on a 2TB 7200rpm Toshiba.

That said...maybe the gods just don't want this to be? I hope that is not the case, but the evidence!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:40:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Just tell us the results, give your Metadata later
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Latest Update-

Computers are back up and running.

I traced the error I found in the Follow-on testing section of the second half of the report. It was due to a copy-paste error from excel. So, to be safe- I completely re-created my mater totals fro the Original test, Follow on tests, and the totals for all tests. It took a bit of time this morning, but the totals are done. I want to make sure that there are no more errors like this and if there are- it will be easier to trace. So I will now go ahead and re-create all the drilled-down breakouts for distance, type, model, etc and have them linked back to the master sheets, instead of copy-pasting them into a new sheet. Once that is done, I'll review the first half of the report to make sure everything is straight and then get on the second half of the report.

I'm taking this approach since I haven't been working on the report for a bit and it gives me the chance to re-immerse myself in it and ensure there are no mistakes.

I'll be working on it more today and throughout the week. I'll continue to update here.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Made good progress today. It was a pain- but there were actually 2 errors. There was on result line that was deleted from the master that was a duplicate sheet that wasn't removed- so the # of data points didn't match. Fixed. The second was a copy/paste error that threw off the standard deviation results, likely- since none of the tables or the report relied on ranking by standard deviation, it didn't change the rankings or overall results. I did, however have to completely reformat the conditional formatting for all the tables due to this. I finished the overall test result tables that include both the original test and follow on tests. Tomorrow morning, I'll start on going through the individual sheets that have the original and follow on separately. It is pretty tedious and I'm likely not doing this in the most efficient Manne- but I'm on it. Hoping to have that done tomorrow so I can get back on the word document report Thursday.

Below is an example of one of the 9 tabs on the sheet I did today, that is calculated from the master data sheet.

Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Happy to report that I'm on schedule. Started at 0230 this morning and corrected all of the image captures from all three of the main spreadsheet breakouts (Original Test, Follow-On Test, and All Tests). Just finished all of it and got it backed up to the server- it is 1454 now and my brain is fried. I'll start replacing corrected pictures in the first section of the report tomorrow and correct the resulting analysis.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Put in 11 1/2 hrs on it today. The report is complete.

The second half is a rough draft- since I typed it. Sending it off to some people for proofreading and legal review.

84 pages. 10,614 words.

I'll update again when I get word back from proofreaders and legal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Put in 11 1/2 hrs on it today. The report is complete.

The second half is a rough draft- since I typed it. Sending it off to some people for proofreading and legal review.

84 pages. 10,614 words.

I'll update again when I get word back from proofreaders and legal.
View Quote
So....
Is there going to be a TLDR version with popup pictures and two syllable max words?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So....
Is there going to be a TLDR version with popup pictures and two syllable max words?
View Quote
The thread I'll post will have one sentence in it- a link to the report in PDF form. Does that count?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I wish I were still in a 400 level statistics class so I could plagiarize the shit out of this.
Wait. No I don't. I hated those classes.

Seriously envy your dedication to this! Is this just because you're curious AF? Wanting to defend your "T1 ban" with data? Sponsored or hoping for sponsorship to compensate for your time?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:55:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wish I were still in a 400 level statistics class so I could plagiarize the shit out of this.
Wait. No I don't. I hated those classes.

Seriously envy your dedication to this! Is this just because you're curious AF? Wanting to defend your "T1 ban" with data? Sponsored or hoping for sponsorship to compensate for your time?
View Quote
The only reason I am doing this is to try to set an example of how we should frame our discussions and base them in data.

I have no need to defend the ban.

I do not accept sponsorships or compensation from manufacturers. (I did accept a small discount for my JP15 a few years back, but they never asked for anything in return)
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top