Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2017 5:40:48 PM EDT
I have a couple 1-4x scopes and find myself only ever using 1x (10-20%) or 4x (80-90%).
Mostly run-n-gun and/or 3 gun applications shooting 20-300yards.
I have plans to get a 1-6x and have been considering a 1-8x. Other than more weight are there any disadvantages to these over a 1-4?
I typically zero at 100Yrds and then figure out where POI is at 25, 50 and 200 yrds at 4x and 25yrds at 1x.
This has worked well so far.

Do you guys/gals ever use the "in between" powers?
If so in what application?
Any suggestions for changing how I use the scopes described above.
Just wondering if I'm missing out on or overlooking something with the LPVs.
If there is a thread covering this topic please link and NUKE this one.

Thanks ARFCOM
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely you are missing some things about low power variables.

First off the objective out (aka the eyebox) changes as you rotate through magnifications.

Objective diameter divided by magnification = obj out. So a 1-6 x 24 at 5x has a exit pupil of 4.8 mm. Not ideal for low light.

The reason you would be concerned with exit pupil is that in low light you want to adjust the maginifation until you reach an exit pupil of around 7mm to permit the best light transmission possible to your night adapted eye.
So at around 3x the image projected into your eye will appear brightest in low light since the diameter of the objective out will match the diameter of your 7-8mm pupil.

Furthermore, with a second focal plane reticle which features a BDC, you can use a tool such as strelok to identify magnifications where your loading best mstches the drop.

For example, my old Razor HD2 was a perfect match at 6x for my 75 grain loading, and at 5x it was a perfect match for my 69 grain loading, and as a extreme example at 3x the optic matches a supersonic 300 blk loading at 3x.

People like to say that they never use the in between magnifications, and that may be true... But that's because they typically dont know how to take advantave of the full magnification range of their variable.

I used to use my cat tail in such a manner that i could position it so that it bottomed the optics rotation out at 3x for example.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Great info, I didn't know most of that.
Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I often use the lower powers for targets in the 50-100 yard range as it allows you to get the benefits of magnification but still have some FOV to allow you to see the next target so you don't have to hunt for it if you were using max magnification.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I often use the lower powers for targets in the 50-100 yard range as it allows you to get the benefits of magnification but still have some FOV to allow you to see the next target so you don't have to hunt for it if you were using max magnification.
View Quote

This. Don't forget that even in 2FP scopes the center of the scope will always be zeroed throughout the magnification range (manufacturers tend to make scopes so that this point is the zero point). I often times use my 1-6x a t only 3x or 2.5x to see something better on the edge of the forest that is about 75 yards from my door. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Good stuff guys.
Thank yall very much!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top