Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, I meant to include that. Mako did lots of ARFCOMMERS wrong. I cannot blame people for passing on MePro due to MAKO. Other companies do sell MePro sights though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One last suggestion, MePro RDS Pro

20% off code GW20

There is a reason that Mako was removed from this site as a sponsor.  I won't buy anything that requires me to have contact with them including Meprolight products anymore.

OP: I sent you a link for a T2 deal.

Yeah, I meant to include that. Mako did lots of ARFCOMMERS wrong. I cannot blame people for passing on MePro due to MAKO. Other companies do sell MePro sights though.

The only problem is that all warranty work still has to go thru Mako which is why I won't buy them now.

If they change importers I will buy them though.  If nothing else buy from Brownell's so that it can be returned.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Any Aimpoint. If your budget is around $500 search for a used comp m4.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
How so?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a like new T2 on the EE, Larue mount, for $600.

Fantastic deal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#5]
T1/T2
PRO
MRO

The MRO has not been out long enough forme to trust it over an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I ran an Aimpoint PRO in a LaRue Mount for some time before retiring. It's a great optic.  Another well kept secret is Primary Arms 3x Prism Scope (ACSS)  When one hears "Primary Arms" they don't usually think of top shelf.  I just wrapped up a very comprehensive torture test of their 3x Prism Scope with the ACSS reticle.  It has so be the ACSS version though as my understanding is that they are building to slightly different specs.  I would have no hesitation at all putting that on my patrol rifle.  The reticle is amazing and affords the user many good options for use.  I would never recommend an import optic for LE use unless I've put it through some testing first.  For what your using it for,  the only bonus I can see from the Aimpoint is the battery life.  But some of the other companies out there are starting to incorporate that feature as well.  I've personally seen that PA 3x (ACSS) sit in 25 foot of cold ocean for an hour,  froze in a block of ice,  put in an oven,  tossed around on concrete like it was nothing,  and run over by my Jeeps 31" tires.  It still worked after all of that.  It blew my mind!  

Another viable option is the Vortex Sparc AR or the Sparc II.  Both are very high quality optics at a working man's price. I have read about how tough the Sparc II is from Recoil Magazines article. I have personally tortured the shit out of the Sparc AR and wouldn't have an issue carrying it for duty.  Lots of choices out there that are a perfectly viable alternative to spending a metric shit ton of money on something that the dept should be issuing in the first place.  However,  shitty bean counters are another story altogether.......
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hello All,

Looking to get a Red Dot Sight for my patrol rifle that I carry on duty. I have narrowed it down to a couple of different optics in the $500 price range, but have no first hand experience with any of them.

Below are the options I am considering:
-Trijicon MRO
-Aimpoint PRO
- Vortex UH-1
-Eotech XPS-2

I have no plans on running a magnifier as I do not intend to shoot past 100 yards on a regular basis. Must be reliable, fast on target, and hold zero!

Thanks all
View Quote

Hold zero?  Eotech shouldn't even be on that list. Not to mention delamination and just prone to breaking more than the others in general.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I run an Aimpoint M4 on my patrol rifle. I bought it off the EE here for $550 with a LaRue mount. I see them on here all the time with the QRP mount for $500 in excellent shape. I had a T1 on this rifle for a while and it was okay but I felt the field of view, battery, switch, and brightness levels of the M4 worked better for me so I sold the T1. The PRO is a good optic but the reticle isn't always consistently round and N cells in general suck. One thing I will say, in my opinion there is no reason to change the QRP mount. The only reason I have a LaRue on my patrol rifle is the sight came with it. If anything the QRP is superior if the optic is going to be removed frequently as it's less likely to distort the rail.

I've also got an EOtech 512 on the way to play with. We don't see extreme cold here but 100f weather in the summer is not unusual and it easily exceeds 120f in the vehicle. Should be pretty easy to test the 512. I work with a guy who runs an XPS and I haven't heard him make any mention of zero retention. My suspicion is if there is shift caused by temperatures in our operating environment it's not noticeable unless the rifle is benched punching paper.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Been using my Aimpoint M2 for years and years.

Can't go wrong with an aimpoint. Put aside some of that 500 for a good LaRue mount too

I have been considering switching to the Trijicon RMR.  I think it will do well as a patrol optic as well.

Dunno about the TRO but coming from trijicon, I doubt you could go wrong.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Can't go wrong with an aimpoint. Put aside some of that 500 for a good LaRue mount too

I have been considering switching to the Trijicon RMR.  I think it will do well as a patrol optic as well.

View Quote

Comp M2s are awesome for the money! I don't understand spending over $250 on a Chinese made red dot when you can buy used Comp M2s all day in that price range.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Comp M2s are awesome for the money! I don't understand spending over $250 on a Chinese made red dot when you can buy used Comp M2s all day in that price range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used M2's are a risk with there being so many that have been "sold" by Uncle Sam floating around.  That is why I won't buy one after being burned previously.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Used M2's are a risk with there being so many that have been "sold" by Uncle Sam floating around.  That is why I won't buy one after being burned previously.
View Quote

I can respect that. Still, getting around $300 I am not buying a Chinese made red dot over a PRO or ACO for a little more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I can respect that. Still, getting around $300 I am not buying a Chinese made red dot over a PRO or ACO for a little more.
View Quote

Just have to hunt down the deals.  I'm at $265 total for a 503GU with a LaRue mount.  The mount can always be re-used for a better optic down the road if need be.  So $200 for the Holosun was just fine for me.  Seems plenty rugged enough even for training and dare I say more

Just realized this was meant to be posted in the Holosun thread.  

My bad.  

I'd still choose the PRO OP for this subject.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What does your rifle policy say? Are those allowed? 

I can tell you that the Aimpoint Pro is okay, but the T1 / T2 is tougher. I have a T1 on my working gun. My partner now has an MRO on her rifle and she likes it. I would hold out for the new model with the covered adjustment turrets if you want an MRO. I like the switches on the T1 better than the MRO, but that is a preference thing. The MRO cover with lens caps should be out soon if it is not already. I would opt for one of those. I have the cover on my T1. 

And for a working gun I would be sure you have a good set of mechanical sights to back up your optic. 
View Quote

That MRO version is over $700.  I'd get a T2 for that price.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#17]
aimpoints are brick shit house optics. saw a PRO online that got burned up in a house fire... the dot stayed on the whole time. Have one and love it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:42:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sorry you mentioned that. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#19]
For the choices listed here, I'll jump on the MRO wagon.  I have recently purchased 3 myself, with one going on my work rifle.  It currently has a Spectre optic on it, however Ive been doing some reevaluating and it would appear that a red dot might make a little more sense for what I normally do.  A magnifier can always stay with the gun, so I dont feel too under scoped.  Ive had a couple bad experiences with older Aimpoints, and the new micro ones are really nice, but really exspensive.  I also prefer the FOV allowed with the MRO.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can purchase an MRO w/factory mount for as low as $420 and an IO cover w/lens caps for another $50 for less than $475 total.
If you want QD, you can get the MRO w/a LaRue mount for $493 and add the IO cover for less than $550 total.

Tomac
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I agree that choosing a proven optic is the better choice.

You're wrong again about Vortex. They have an entire line that is US MADE from US made parts (AMG line). There is at least 1 SMU (SOCOM) that has a Vortex (1-6 Razor HDII) on their rifles.
View Quote

You're right. Vortex offers scopes made here and in Japan. All of their previous RDS are rebranded Chinese offerings.  Thus thread is about RDS under $500, not $2000 variables.

Eotech has great CS too. They fixed everyone of our delaminated optics no questions asked. It just required keeping extra optics and rezeroing every time one went down. Part of the reason we went back to Aimponts. I've seen plenty of aimponts shit the bed over the last 20 years too. Mostly older M2s and Comp Ms. At this point we just replace them with PROs, but Aimpoint CS is great too.

Trijicon has also been great with quick turn around times on broken ACOGs.

I prefer to not have to find out how good CS is. Especially with personally owned over issued gear.

I'm not shittng on Vortex but a SPARC is not comparable to a Razor in anyway and has no business on a working rifle.

OP should just get an Aimpoint PRO for $399 from DSGArms and move on.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You're right. Vortex offers scopes made here and in Japan. All of their previous RDS are rebranded Chinese offerings.  Thus thread is about RDS under $500, not $2000 variables.

Eotech has great CS too. They fixed everyone of our delaminated optics no questions asked. It just required keeping extra optics and rezeroing every time one went down. Part of the reason we went back to Aimponts. I've seen plenty of aimponts shit the bed over the last 20 years too. Mostly older M2s and Comp Ms. At this point we just replace them with PROs, but Aimpoint CS is great too.

I prefer to not have to find out how good CS is. Especially with personally owned over issued gear.

I'm not shittng on Vortex but a SPARC is not comparable to a Razor in anyway and has no business on a working rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're wrong again about Vortex. They have an entire line that is US MADE from US made parts (AMG line). There is at least 1 SMU (SOCOM) that has a Vortex (1-6 Razor HDII) on their rifles.

Just to be completely accurate the Vortex AMG UH-1 is their new holographic RDS that is Made in the USA and it is right at $450 shipped with a 10% off from Optics Planet which includes a QD mount suitable for AR's.  There is 1 part (a board I think) that is made in England for the holographic system but everything else is Made in the USA.

If the OP can wait for it to be released and he doesn't have an astigmatism that makes the holographic dot appear like a star or comma then I see no reason not to go with the UH-1.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Any Aimpoint. If your budget is around $500 search for a used comp m4.
View Quote

This. We have been issuing aimpoints (M2s then T1 for swat, PRO for patrol) for close to 20 years without any issues.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I went with the PRO and liked it so much I now own many.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

All of their previous RDS are rebranded Chinese offerings.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

All of their previous RDS are rebranded Chinese offerings.  

Maybe you should have said that in the first place instead of saying

Quoted:
Every other product they sell is Chinese so I assumed this was as well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some people want to keep things light weight without wanting to spend T1 money?

Though if that is the case I'd buy a Trijicon MRO, it's a solid light weight optic. The MRO with the Battle Arms Development mount was around 7 oz.

Holosun/Primary Arms/Sig Romeo is a bargain for the money though, and they can take a beating. But they aren't worth using for duty.

Though the FBI did Okay the Sig Romeo 4M for Duty use.

No freakin way I'm spending $500 on a rebranded Holosun. If you have issues spending 250-300 on one.. well you might have an issue with the Romeo 4S price lol.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Though if that is the case I'd buy a Trijicon MRO, it's a solid light weight optic. The MRO with the Battle Arms Development mount was around 7 oz.
View Quote

Some people should do more curls!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Some people should do more curls!
View Quote

I lift man, but I'm just saying comparing a micro to a 30mm is like apples to grapefruits.

I think the MRO is at a nice price point for a micro though. All it really needs is a track record.

For duty use though the pro isn't a bad idea. A majority of the time it's going to be on a rack in the squad. Also odds are the rifle/carbine isn't going to be some custom high speed low drag franken gun.

I was just saying why people will spend 200-300 on a micro red dot.

Edit:

Whats stupid to me is the holosun offerings that are actually 30mm. Some of them are almost $300... Now we are comparing apples to apples.

Would be stupid to choose a 30mm Holopoint over an Aimpoint Pro/ACO
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just to be completely accurate the Vortex AMG UH-1 is their new holographic RDS that is Made in the USA and it is right at $450 shipped with a 10% off from Optics Planet which includes a QD mount suitable for AR's.  There is 1 part (a board I think) that is made in England for the holographic system but everything else is Made in the USA.

If the OP can wait for it to be released and he doesn't have an astigmatism that makes the holographic dot appear like a star or comma then I see no reason not to go with the UH-1.
View Quote

Other than it's not proven yet.......  I never like being the test group on a new product.  But that's just me......  

I've got nothing against the optic and I'm hoping it's good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Other than it's not proven yet.......  I never like being the test group on a new product.  But that's just me......  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't disagree with you there but in this specific instance since it is Vortex and the AMG line I would be willing to try it.  If I shot a couple hundred rounds with no issues I would be happy to use it on my HD rifle at that point.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Put your money where you mouth is.    

You've got my curiosity piqued though.  I've never even seen one yet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Put your money where you mouth is.    

You've got my curiosity piqued though.  I've never even seen one yet.
View Quote

I actually had one ordered but cancelled it after finding out that my astigmatism and it won't play well together  It is a little big but I completely trust the current Vortex AMG/Razor line of optics.

There is a MASSIVE difference between the Razor AMG line and even their PST line and an even larger difference compared to their previous RDS.

My 3-18x Gen II Razor is awesome and my 1-6x Gen II Razor will be here tomorrow and I am looking forward to it as well.  I actually sold my TA33 to get the 1-6x Razor.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#33]
My only concern w/Vortex is all the reports of how awesome their warranty CS is when repairing or replacing an optic (a friend who works the counter here at my local small-town PO has seen several Vortex' going back for warranty work).
I would rather no-one knows how good the warranty is on an optic because no-one has had to use it. IMHO the best warranty is the one that's never needed.
FWIW, the Trijicon MRO has a lifetime warranty while Aimpoints have a 10yr commercial or 5yr professional warranty.

Tomac
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My only concern w/Vortex is all the reports of how awesome their warranty CS is when repairing or replacing an optic (a friend who works the counter here at my local small-town PO has seen several Vortex' going back for warranty work).
I would rather no-one knows how good the warranty is on an optic because no-one has had to use it. IMHO the best warranty is the one that's never needed.
FWIW, the Trijicon MRO has a lifetime warranty while Aimpoints have a 10yr commercial or 5yr professional warranty.

Tomac
View Quote

Most of the Vortex warranties are on the lower end Chinese made optics, then the PST's.

I haven't seen any reports of AMG optics needing warranty work and only 3-4 Razor Gen II issues but they were related to things like stiffer power rings than desired.

I would have no issues taking a Gen II Razor or AMG out of the box on an expensive hunt doing nothing more than a fast sight in.

To be fair I would do the same with a Leupold MK8 but I wouldn't trust their made in China scopes either.

You get what you pay for in the optics world.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#35]
MRO.  Weight,size FOV and price are second to none.  It is new, but trijicon has a rep that is as old and good as youll find.  I looked at them all and have owned a bunch.  MRO!  Or if you need some magnification I heard they make a sight that does that too.  Cant think of the name right now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
MRO.  Weight,size FOV and price are second to none.  It is new, but trijicon has a rep that is as old and good as youll find.  I looked at them all and have owned a bunch.  MRO!  Or if you need some magnification I heard they make a sight that does that too.  Cant think of the name right now.
View Quote

Uh, the Leupold Deltapoint Pro is duty grade, lighter and smaller than MRO, now priced widely at $400, has a very wide rectangular field of view comparable, if not wider, and being motion activated, is left on 24/7/365 except for extended vehicle transport and has a battery life measured in years.  There are no exposed knobs switches or such to impede peripheral vision.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Uh, the Leupold Deltapoint Pro is duty grade, lighter and smaller than MRO, now priced widely at $400, has a very wide rectangular field of view comparable, if not wider, and being motion activated, is left on 24/7/365 except for extended vehicle transport and has a battery life measured in years.  There are no exposed knobs switches or such to impede peripheral vision.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/1C4888D9-6DAE-4A06-8E69-CCF59521B0E1_zps7jhttx3e.jpg

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/0CD148EA-5190-4140-A123-9FC5A3CDBCC2_zpsb1xq9ucy.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/1C4888D9-6DAE-4A06-8E69-CCF59521B0E1_zps7jhttx3e.jpg

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/0CD148EA-5190-4140-A123-9FC5A3CDBCC2_zpsb1xq9ucy.jpg

With downsides of motion activation and a open glass concept extremely susceptible to getting dirtier than normal RDS.  It's nice but, with both eyes open, I don;t understand the tube effect complaint of an AP.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Has anyone mentioned the Aimpoint T1 or T2 yet?

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

With downsides of motion activation and a open glass concept extremely susceptible to getting dirtier than normal RDS.  It's nice but, with both eyes open, I don;t understand the tube effect complaint of an AP.
View Quote

Why is motion activation a down side?  I've been using the technology for over three years on my VX-R Firedot scope.  Run it hard in rugged conditions during hunting season.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Why is motion activation a down side?  I've been using the technology for over three years on my VX-R Firedot scope.  Run it hard in rugged conditions during hunting season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've read stories of the technology not working.  Of course all types of technologies fail, but I'd rather be constant on for 5-8 years I guess
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've read stories of the technology not working.  Of course all types of technologies fail, but I'd rather be constant on for 5-8 years I guess
View Quote

"I've read stories . .."

Here's a real story to ponder:

Optics chosen by SOCOM for evaluation to replace EOTech

No reports yet on rankings or preferences to my knowledge.  All are excellent duty grade optics.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess going with an unproven sight in the same price range as quality proven Aimpoint is ok for some. Ill stick with Aimpoint for $500 and under duty RDS.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Holosun/Primary Arms/Sig Romeo is a bargain for the money though, and they can take a beating. But they aren't worth using for duty.

Though the FBI did Okay the Sig Romeo 4M for Duty use.

No freakin way I'm spending $500 on a rebranded Holosun. If you have issues spending 250-300 on one.. well you might have an issue with the Romeo 4S price lol.
View Quote

Like I said, when I get to around the $250 mark I will buy a used Aimpoint over any other RDS, even if it weighs a few ounces more than a Chinese RDS. I have trusted them overseas and saw them beat all to hell and keep ticking day after day in austere environments. To each his own.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

"I've read stories . .."

Here's a real story to ponder:

Optics chosen by SOCOM for evaluation to replace EOTech

No reports yet on rankings or preferences to my knowledge.  All are excellent duty grade optics.
View Quote

Does anybody know what they chose?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#45]
I would suggest the Aimpoint PRO.  I chose it due to my other experience with Aimpoints.  I have had one bouncing around in my car for almost 4 years no problems.  Most attractive part is the battery life, I leave it on the lowest visible setting all the time and with the clear rear cover it is ready to go as quick as you unlock it.  The battery lasts longer than a year but I change them out annually.  I have since suggested our Office outfit our other rifles with them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Wanted to tell everyone that I am thankful for their feedback and valued all the responses!

I made the decision and ordered a Trijicon MRO with American Defense full Co-witness QD. Mount.

I believe I got a fair price on both the MRO and the mount and I think it will be good for my intended application.

It took a lot of research and input from you all, a lot of review watching, and looking through both the MRO and Pro to make the decision.

A side note as far as warranties: Trijicon offers a lifetime warranty on the machined parts/optics but a 5 year warranty on the electronics. Aimpoint is 2 years for professional applications. Although if there is a problem I have no doubt either company would take care of it in the best way weather it is in warranty or out of. I think the size, weight, FOV, and controls/brightness graduations made the MRO stand out over the PRO. Also the magnification and blue tint was negligible to me when looking through the MRO, and I just couldn't justify the price for a H1/2/T1/2 after factoring in the cost of a mount.

Again thank you all for the feedback, and I will be sure to post my thoughts once the MRO arrives for anyone else interested!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Let us know how you like it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Good choice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Let us know how you like it.
View Quote

Hope to have it by Friday, will give my initial impression and the follow up once mounted and when I'm able to put rounds down range!
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top