Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2017 5:48:54 PM EDT
for the longest time i've been wanting a CompM4 for my second rifle, i currently have a PRO on the rifle i use and im happy with it

the battery life and the fact that it uses a AA is nice.

but aside from that im having a hard time justifying the price of the CompM4.

i would like to hear what you guys think.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
comp m4 is a great optic, i've had both. if you can find a good deal on a used one jump. but i can buy pro's for around 280$ used so unless its a smoking deal i just dont see the value. pro will take just as much damage as a m4
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Battery life, more common battery, tried-and-true tough as it's used by the Army.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
It is the toughest optic Aimpoint makes. That's not enough of a reason for me and I doubt it is for you. Though the 1/3N battery of the PRO can be hard as balls to find locally. 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both.  
I would suggest getting the PRO for the cost savings.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
My last issued optic was a M4S. While great and all that already discussed it is huge and heavy.  PRO is slightly lighter and much cheaper. I like the micro sights as they are smaller and lighter.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the PRO, you can buy a hundred batteries before you spend the $500 difference in price. I own both (I actually own a lot more Aimpoints than just those two models) and while I know in my heart that the M4 is a better RDS, I can't tell one bit of difference in actual use. All things considered I feel the Aimpoint PRO is the best buy on the market.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#7]
If you've wanted one for a long time then you should buy one. I wanted one and that's what I did, problem solved.

Cruise the EE, you can find some a lot cheaper than retail. I bought one used on here for about $600 with a bobro mount (and the stock mount). It looked brand new to me.

I cant tell yet whether I like it better than the MRO, almost seems pretty similar given the MRO's large obj and small size. But I do like that it uses common batteries. I have plenty of AA NiMH and I like that I can keep a higher setting on for longer periods with the AA, its "8 year" setting is pretty bright already, but it can go even higher without taking a big hit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I have not owned a PRO but do own an ML2 and ML3 along with the M4 and like the M4 best of all.  If you keep a constant eye on the EE there are deals to be had.  I got a safe queen M4s for $400 shipped.  I some-what regularly see the M4 for low $500 to upper $400, but you have to be quick.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#9]
what I have learned is , If I want something really bad and I compromise I end up with what I bought the first time plus the real item I desired . I have an aimpoint pro and have been nothing but satisfied . I have had no issues finding batteries although I check all the stores when we are out just to see where I can get a spare if I need it . But if I wanted the comp4 I would just bite the bullet and get it out of my system .
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 2 M4s, wouldn't even consider buying the pro as second guessing myself is more costly then buying and crying once
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Probably the best reason is if you want it as a hypothetical SHTF optic. AAs are everywhere. You so much as find a discarded TV remote you probably just got a bunch more battery life. Meanwhile I can't find 1/3Ns locally now.

A few years after a cessation of battery production, I bet you CompM4s and EOTech 5xx HWS are the only major optics still in common use without having your own stockpile due to the ubiquity of the battery type. 123s and 2032s are more common, but they're still not the AA.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Even with the T2 being out now the M4s is still my favorite Aimpoint ..... You can find them in the EE for $450-$600 depending on condition/accessories included
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the PRO, you can buy a hundred batteries before you spend the $500 difference in price. I own both (I actually own a lot more Aimpoints than just those two models) and while I know in my heart that the M4 is a better RDS, I can't tell one bit of difference in actual use. All things considered I feel the Aimpoint PRO is the best buy on the market.
View Quote

Best reason I can find is that you can get rechargeable AAs and a USB powered battery charger and recharge your batteries with a miniature solar panel. Try that with the funky batteries that the PRO uses.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#14]
comp M4 if you are doing a clone build. Otherwise it is pointless. Yes the pro uses weird batteries but 20$ would buy 14 years worth of battery life all why saving weight. I don't think you can change the mounting system on the comp m4.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:22:38 AM EDT
[#15]
M4s for the win.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:56:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
comp M4 if you are doing a clone build. Otherwise it is pointless. Yes the pro uses weird batteries but 20$ would buy 14 years worth of battery life all why saving weight. I don't think you can change the mounting system on the comp m4.
View Quote
You can change the mount on the Comp M4 there are screws in the bottom like an Acog  
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I got an M4 in in the summer of 2008, put a regular Duracell alkaline battery in it and turned it on to setting 11 of 15...and left it on.
Often times when I went to the range, I had to turn it up because it was so bright out, but it was never turned below setting 11.
I just had to replace it a few weeks ago, almost 9 years later...9 years.
The common batteries coupled with the ridiculous run time, make it a no-brainer for me.

Having said that, I just got a couple T1's, a 2 moa and a 4 moa, and I freakin' love those things. They're SO much lighter and compact than the M4.
I've put the T1's on my "go to" guns, but I'll always have the M4 on a rifle. As someone mentioned earlier, if the S ever does HTF, AA's will be much easier to find than the CR2032's or the CR1/3N, DL1/3N.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I have two compM4's.
I compare them to no other.
You decide.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#19]
This is relevant to my interests. I am sending back my EOTech 512 and need something to replace it with. I have an ML3 on my 10.5" SBR and by far it's my favorite optic. I have wondered about the durability of the Pro, but I imagine it's tougher than I think.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got an M4 in in the summer of 2008, put a regular Duracell alkaline battery in it and turned it on to setting 11 of 15...and left it on.
Often times when I went to the range, I had to turn it up because it was so bright out, but it was never turned below setting 11.
The common batteries coupled with the ridiculous run time, make it a no-brainer for me.

Having said that, I just got a couple T1's, a 2 moa and a 4 moa, and I freakin' love those things. They're SO much lighter and compact than the M4.
I've put the T1's on my "go to" guns, but I'll always have the M4 on a rifle. As someone mentioned earlier, if the S ever does HTF, AA's will be much easier to find than the CR2032's or the CR1/3N, DL1/3N.
View Quote

Excatly! With a lithium I bet another 1-3 years would be possible .... No other optic out there can get close to that .... More than doubling the battery life of a T1 with a lithium battery
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Does the Pro have the same updated switch as the M4Comp?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This ^^
I love my T1 and H1 Aimpoint.Very light and compact with 5 year battery life. Get yourself a T1 or H1 and be done with it. Look on the EE or GB for deals .
Here is an H1 on GB for less than $550

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/622083826
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Comp M4 is the best RDS available.
Got 2 of them, they will be the last sights I'd ever sell, even with the TA11C considered.
Everyone always says to get a T1 or similar, I've got 2 of them as well.
But I shoot better, quicker, with the M4 on everything but a pistol or the Krinkov.
Consider your option carefully, it's your money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Probably the best reason is if you want it as a hypothetical SHTF optic. AAs are everywhere. You so much as find a discarded TV remote you probably just got a bunch more battery life. Meanwhile I can't find 1/3Ns locally now.

A few years after a cessation of battery production, I bet you CompM4s and EOTech 5xx HWS are the only major optics still in common use without having your own stockpile due to the ubiquity of the battery type. 123s and 2032s are more common, but they're still not the AA.
View Quote

Nah, at the first sign of trouble people neck beard AAs. I can find 2032s on the shelf at any drug store and when things get ugly nobody hordes them. When batteries stop being produced I'll be smashing open useless car remote starters and Apple TV remotes and keeping my H2 and Accupower fed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Why not a T1 micro? I haven't used a full sized aimpoint in a decade. EOTech or Micro only.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Excatly! With a lithium I bet another 1-3 years would be possible .... No other optic out there can get close to that .... More than doubling the battery life of a T1 with a lithium battery
View Quote

I'll let you know in a decade or so, hopefully...I just replaced the Duracell alkaline with a Duracell lithium.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This ^^
I love my T1 and H1 Aimpoint.Very light and compact with 5 year battery life. Get yourself a T1 or H1 and be done with it. Look on the EE or GB for deals .
Here is an H1 on GB for less than $550

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/622083826
View Quote

I got both of my T1's off of the EE. Both were used, in great shape, and both came with Larue LT751 mounts...I paid $550 for one and $495 for the other. Deals come around, you just have to check religiously and not hesitate when you see what you want.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#28]
There is actually one in the EE for $450 it only has cosmetic issues from what I can tell. For that price it's worth the cost.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#29]
My last issued optic was a M4S. While great and all that already discussed it is huge and heavy
View Quote

Yep, big heavy pig.....
I feel it on my pinned 14.5.  But I also LIKE that it's so big.  I'm normally an Eotech person but well....yeah....
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#30]
My M4's (12.1oz) weigh about the same as my EOexps (11.1oz).
Aimpoint Pro (no battery) is 7.8oz
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Either buy the pro or the M4s. The M4s would be my choice the low battery makes the difference. The pro is a proven optic as much as the comp.

If the battery location doesn't matter to you the pro is perfect otherwise the M4s.

My choice would be neither though I am in love with the LCO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:17:30 AM EDT
[#32]
The M4s and the T2 are the two best optics they make.  

I have a lot of time behind both, I own a T2.  But there is no doubt that the M4/M4s is the better of the two.  

I got a PRO when they first came out and it's still going.  It's been in continuous use most of that time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:04:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have a lot of time behind both, I own a T2.  But there is no doubt that the M4/M4s is the better of the two.  

I got a PRO when they first came out and it's still going.  It's been in continuous use most of that time.
View Quote
Could you tell us a bit more about why you think the M4 is better?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:50:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I am thinking about an M4S for one of my rifles...

I wish they still made the ML2/3 series, my favorite Aimpoints.  I have read the PRO is the same, but I am stubborn and not agreeing.  Unless someone can convience me.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Could you tell us a bit more about why you think the M4 is better?
View Quote

The M4 & M4S correct potential problems in the other M-series Aimpoints:
Switch is indirectly coupled to the brightness control knob to prevent impacts to the knob from breaking the switch and rendering the optic DOA.
Mount is integral so impacts to the optic can't rotate the optic as it might when using 30mm rings.
Better protection for the W/E caps.

There are reasons the PRO costs so much less than the M4/M4S, you can't get something for nothing.
Plus, the M4 & M4S can use *any* AA-size battery regardless of voltage due to an internal voltage regulator.
That's not to say the PRO isn't a good optic, but if I was to go back to a 30mm Aimpoint, it would be an M4 or M4S.

Tomac
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The M4 & M4S correct potential problems in the other M-series Aimpoints:
Switch is indirectly coupled to the brightness control knob to prevent impacts to the knob from breaking the switch and rendering the optic DOA.
Mount is integral so impacts to the optic can't rotate the optic as it might when using 30mm rings.
Better protection for the W/E caps.

There are reasons the PRO costs so much less than the M4/M4S, you can't get something for nothing.
Plus, the M4 & M4S can use *any* AA-size battery regardless of voltage due to an internal voltage regulator.
That's not to say the PRO isn't a good optic, but if I was to go back to a 30mm Aimpoint, it would be an M4 or M4S.

Tomac
View Quote

That's what I was lookin' for thanks...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why not a T1 micro? I haven't used a full sized aimpoint in a decade. EOTech or Micro only.
View Quote

T-1 is pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I love my Comp M4s!  Incredibly durable, and has never offset in zero to date.  The choice is really yours.  You won't be upset either way, just out a few bucks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#39]
The M4's are far more rugged than a PRO
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

No doubt?  What can you think of doing that will break your T2 that is 1/3 the weight of an M4s?

I love the micro optics and have five.  There is currently a T2/LT660 on the EE for $600
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#41]
This is now a Comp M4/T1 picture thread...?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No doubt?  What can you think of doing that will break your T2 that is 1/3 the weight of an M4s?

I love the micro optics and have five.  There is currently a T2/LT660 on the EE for $600
View Quote

The people at Aimpoint told me that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Carried a CompM4 but I have a PRO on my personal rifle and it is great and I got it at a decent price.  Both are great sights.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do consider the comp4 series the most robust, butI've seen micros blown up and still work.  Robustness box is checked on both.  It's really a weight, cost, and size decision.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top