Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/9/2017 11:10:31 PM EDT
Looking to purchase a scope and a scope mount in the near future. The scope is either going to be a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x 24mm or Primary Arms 1-6x 24mm.

What scope mount should I purchase? I like the Aero Ultralight but am stuck between the 3 options avail. I understand the differences but don't understand what the results will be for this particular scope. I'm pretty sure I want the extended or SPR as I like the idea of having extra real estate in front of the scope. I plan on mounting my red dot at a 45 in front. I am already limited as I went for a lighter hand guard. Any help?

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I wasn't sure which I needed, so I took the extended.  I picked up the PA 1-6x which should get here Saturday so I'll let you know if it works for me.  Seems like the SPR is for a larger scope.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Having used all of them since they came out with a variety of optics, I only use the SPR now. For a 1-6, SPR for sure.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having used all of them since they came out with a variety of optics, I only use the SPR now. For a 1-6, SPR for sure.
View Quote

For what reason?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the SPR mount for my PA 1-6
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#5]
SPR
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For what reason?
View Quote

Eye relief.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#7]
You should decide which one you need based on how much eye relief the scope has and how you shoulder/shoot the gun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Now y'all got me spooked.  Hopefully the extended will work for me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Now y'all got me spooked.  Hopefully the extended will work for me.
View Quote

That PA 1-6x has quite a bit of eye relief (4"-4.5"), so depending on how you shoot, it may or may not work well for you.  Do you shoot "nose to charging handle" or do you typically have the stock scooted out a few (or more) notches (with your head resting farther away from the CH)?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That PA 1-6x has quite a bit of eye relief (4"-4.5"), so depending on how you shoot, it may or may not work well for you.  Do you shoot "nose to charging handle" or do you typically have the stock scooted out a few (or more) notches (with your head resting farther away from the CH)?
View Quote

Generally a few notches back, but with this new setup I can't tell ya, it's my first variable and going on a new rifle.  Previously I was using a Sig 3x prism that came on an M400.  In addition I've used irons and ACOG on an M16A4 with its fixed stock.  Not sure yet where I'll need the variable mounted which is why I went with the extended, seemed like a safe middle ground.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Generally a few notches back, but with this new setup I can't tell ya, it's my first variable and going on a new rifle.  Previously I was using a Sig 3x prism that came on an M400.  In addition I've used irons and ACOG on an M16A4 with its fixed stock.  Not sure yet where I'll need the variable mounted which is why I went with the extended, seemed like a safe middle ground.
View Quote

You'll probably be alright then.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I would go with SPR
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use the SPR mount for my PA 1-6
View Quote

I should have bought the SPR instead of the extended for my PA 1-6X! 

I have to run the stock further out than I like just to get eye relief, but it's not a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I just went through the same thing.  I was looking hard at the Strike Eagle, PA 1x6 & 1x8, but settled on the Leupold VXR-Patrol.  I purchased the Aero SPR mount and it works perfectly for me.  The SPR gave me the eye relief I needed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I went with the Extended for my 4-18 Bushnell and wish I would've went with the SPR because I'm not able to get the scope far enough forward to put my head quite where I want it. It works like it is but it's not ideal for me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Does the scope need to be centered between the two rings, or can it get pushed forward some, as long as it's not over-tightened?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does the scope need to be centered between the two rings, or can it get pushed forward some, as long as it's not over-tightened?
View Quote

The scope does not need to be centered.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#18]
For Trijicon 1-8 which  Aero mount would be best SPR or Extended? Will a MBUS pro be able to be still mounted? I have Matrix/MAS Side Charge Upper that I want to mount this too. I think the rear sight mount a little bit froward than regular upper.

Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I used SPR on my Recce
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#20]
timely thread given the PA 1-6x is on sale
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
timely thread given the PA 1-6x is on sale
View Quote

Just picked up two yesterday for the wife's and my 3-Gun rifles. Wish I had found this thread before ordering, I went with the extended mount too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#22]
i would use the extended. The SPR is going to be difficult to get your eye relief with. looks like it will place the scope too far forward. i mount my scopes even with the rear of the receiver. The SPR seems like the mount is going to hinder that. also looking again at the pic the mount will surely interfere with you rear sight.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#23]
SPR

You want that extended to the max, as you don't want to bridge your upper reciever and handguard when mounting the scope, although a one piece mount will minimize the negatives caused by doing this.  However, on an AR, you're going to have issues getting the scope far enough forward for proper eye relief with anything other than the SPR.  What's more, I think it's probably better for balance when the scope is actually mounted farther back, but I suppose rifle balance is all about personal preference.  I prefer to keep as much weight away from the front end as possible, as this makes the rifle feel more nimble when doing quick transition shooting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#24]
If you go with the SPR you have the ability to move it forward as far as possible. If it turns out you don't need that much the mount can just sit farther back on the upper.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Prefer the SPR between all three. I was between extended and SPR, as well.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top