Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 4:41:26 PM EDT

I realize lots of folks haven't used ACOGs outside of the 3.5x (TA11) and 4x (TA31/01) but I've always been a fan of the lower powered ACOGs personally.   Finally finished up the review of the TA44 so here you go for your reading/viewing pleasure:

Pros:
-It's an ACOG so it's EXTREMELY durable
-Great glass clarity
-Dual tritium & F/O illumination (can be a con but in most scenarios it's not IMO)
-Lightweight
-Clear picture for folks with astigmatism
-The circle/dot reticle is fast up close
-Wider FOV than other 1.5x prism type optics

Cons:
-ACOGs aren't cheap
-The reticle can obscure small targets at distance (described in the video)
-Mini ACOGs have some mount limitations

Full review:
Trijicon TA44 1.5x Magnification ACOG Optic Review (HD)
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#1]
When you get done with it, ship it to me.
KTHXBAI
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#2]
i like mine and for people with aging eyes, its the hot ticket for getting a clearer image 100+ yards. maybe not so great at 200 but better than my fuzzy uncorrected eye can do.

love the compact size and long ER too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had mine for a few weeks. Love it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I need (ok, want) a small, lightweight optic for one of my SBR's and was leaning towards an Aimpoint T2 but I had a T1 before and wasn't crazy about it (even though I typically love Aimpoints). Between you and Hero, you guys have me seriously considering the TA44? Price sucks but sometimes you got to pay if you want to play.

Eye relief is what concerns me and where you 2 seem to somewhat disagree? Talking to Hero, he feels the eye relief is better than the rated 2.4" but in the video you state the factory spec is pretty spot on? I'm mostly worried about shooting from non-conventional positions where you can't get your head perfectly aligned or within 2.4" of the optic?

I would consider the TA45 but the only thing I like about it is its longer eye relief. I like the reticle, overall size/weight and FOV of the 44 much better.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the other 1.5x ACOG for a while and sold it (TA-26?)  
Not as fast under 50m, at that time i was thinking "house gun" mentality.   Probably niche is 50-200m.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had the orjer 1.5x ACOG for a while amd sold it (TA-26?)  
Not as fast under 50m, at that time i was thinking "house gun" mentality.   Probably niche is 50-200m.
View Quote

This has been my opinion, for any short range shooting past indoor use, it's awesome. If this is something you'd be grabbing for a bump in the night, I'd not use the TA-44. If this is a generic short range rifle for primarily outdoors, these mini-ACOGs are awesome.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Eye relief is what concerns me and where you 2 seem to somewhat disagree? Talking to Hero, he feels the eye relief is better than the rated 2.4" but in the video you state the factory spec is pretty spot on? I'm mostly worried about shooting from non-conventional positions where you can't get your head perfectly aligned or within 2.4" of the optic?
View Quote

Like the TA33 and the TA47 as well, I believe the factory spec'ed eye relief of 2.4" to be on the very conservative side for the TA44. For example, in my pic posted above the rifle is wearing a SOPMOD stock (which is longer than a standard M4 waffle stock). If I fully extend the stock (which is way too long for me), I can still get a sight picture through the TA44. Now, it's probably not what I'd consider optimal. The reticle will be taking up almost all of the field of view through the scope. But, I can get a sight picture. So as long as I can see the dot and can see my target, I can hit it. I get a perfect sight picture with the stock fully collapsed (the way I shoot it). Now, how many inches difference is there between fully collapsed and fully extended? And I can use the scope in that whole range of positions? IMO, that's a lot of eye relief forgiveness, especially for an optic that's not a true 1x red dot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#8]
That's what I toted during my last few years as a LEO.

Had it mounted on my Sig 556 with an ADM mount.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If this is something you'd be grabbing for a bump in the night, I'd not use the TA-44.
View Quote

Why not? Is that .5x really that much of an issue up close?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
it's a little slower, plus a fiber optic is pretty dark at night.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I mean obviously it's useable, but it's  not ideal. At indoor ranges it will be a tad slower for some, and more importantly the reticle will be a mess WRT lighting issues. I love mini-ACOGs, but if one were on my bedside rifle I'd be shooting over it not through it.

For anything short range outside of indoor range shooting, I love the 1.5/2X ACOGs, and find them superior to the RDS.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#12]
They are great optics. I had one a number of years ago and sold it. I'd love to pick another one up. My biggest complaint was reticle washout and it not being an optimal HD optic. Now that my collection is more well rounded I should give it another shot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I mean obviously it's useable, but it's  not ideal.
View Quote

I'd agree.   It's a touch slower but with the circle dot and some practice using the Bindon Aiming Concept I'd guess you could narrow that time gap to where it was negligible.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'd agree.   It's a touch slower but with the circle dot and some practice using the Bindon Aiming Concept I'd guess you could narrow that time gap to where it was negligible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my experience, that's more of a training issue. It requires a bit more familiarization and practice than a red dot, but not much.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In my experience, that's more of a training issue. It requires a bit more familiarization and practice than a red dot, but not much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess, but it doesn't solve the lighting problems inherent to indoor defensive uses fucking with your reticle. I say that as a huge fan of ACOGs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#16]
When I looked thru the ta 44s. The circle dot reticle looked much smaller.
Is your picture zoomed at all?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:50:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a green TA44SG10 when it was first released.  It was okay.  I'd be open to aqcuiring a red one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When I looked thru the ta 44s. The circle dot reticle looked much smaller.
Is your picture zoomed at all?
View Quote

It's a 20-25MOA circle
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#19]
i feel like the eye relief is way more than 2.4. more like 4 max and beyond that you start to lose the edge but you can run it as close as you want to your eye.

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I guess, but it doesn't solve the lighting problems inherent to indoor defensive uses fucking with your reticle. I say that as a huge fan of ACOGs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i'll back ya up there. any acog would be my last choice for inside of a home. especially at night. acog's are a daytime optic in my world.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I mean obviously it's useable, but it's  not ideal. At indoor ranges it will be a tad slower for some, and more importantly the reticle will be a mess WRT lighting issues. I love mini-ACOGs, but if one were on my bedside rifle I'd be shooting over it not through it.

For anything short range outside of indoor range shooting, I love the 1.5/2X ACOGs, and find them superior to the RDS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a big fan of the 1.5x24 AGOC until I used one at a training class where we shot after dark using weapon mounted lights.  The reticle was hard to see because the fiber optic got no illumination while the target was lit up fairly well.  Not impossible to use, but way slower than using a red dot.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was a big fan of the 1.5x24 AGOC until I used one at a training class where we shot after dark using weapon mounted lights.  The reticle was hard to see because the fiber optic got no illumination while the target was lit up fairly well.  Not impossible to use, but way slower than using a red dot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooting after dark should include green eyes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you'd like to buy me a pair...  
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is certainly true at night. I shot a night 2-gun match last month and one of the many things I learned was that I had to have my Aimpoint turned up way too bright. Once it was my turn to shoot a stage and I would lite up a target with my light, the dot that was perfect in the relative darkness disappeared on a white/tan target hit with a light.

At least the TA44 and other ACOGS, the reticle is still visible, light or no light, it simply blacks out, which would be OK on a light colored target being illuminated at night. Just a little slower maybe.

A perfectly adjusted RDS is the best and fastest scope to use. But lighting changes. You may step out from a shadow into sunlight or opposite. You may only have 1/2 a second to take the shot. The fiber optic on the ACOG "should" take care of this with the automatic brightness adjustment, although it will not be perfect for all conditions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat rice and beans for a few months. That's what I did.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:53:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's a 20-25MOA circle
View Quote
The actual reticle size per Trijicon is: Ring - 23.1MOA, Dot 2MOA

Great optic. 1.5 mag not really noticeable at close range. The issue still exists when shooting from a very dark area into a bright area, fiber optic illumination doesn't work, tritium does not have enough power to illuminate the reticle looking into the bright area, and the black reticle is difficult to see. 

I used one extensively for 1 year (several training classes, low light shoots, and twice weekly training sessions). Not sure how much time you spent with the optic in making the video but my opinion is based on long term use of the optic in a multitude of light conditions. The optic was selected in an attempt to find an alternative to Aimpoint due to astigmatism issues. At the end of the year it was clear that the acog was lacking depending on light conditions. As a result, I went back to Aimpoints and trained to overcome the astigmatism issue. Do some research on the topic and one will find many that tried the 1.5x acogs as an alternative to Aimpoint but in the end switched back.

If Trijicon would make an led version of these at a competitive price, they would have a winner.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Great optic. 1.5 mag not really noticeable at close range. The issue still exists when shooting from a very dark area into a bright area, fiber optic illumination doesn't work, tritium does not have enough power to illuminate the reticle looking into the bright area, and the black reticle is difficult to see. 

I used one extensively for 1 year (several training classes, low light shoots, and twice weekly training sessions). Not sure how much time you spent with the optic in making the video but my opinion is based on long term use of the optic in a multitude of light conditions. The optic was selected in an attempt to find an alternative to Aimpoint due to astigmatism issues. At the end of the year it was clear that the acog was lacking depending on light conditions. As a result, I went back to Aimpoints and trained to overcome the astigmatism issue. Do some research on the topic and one will find many that tried the 1.5x acogs as an alternative to Aimpoint but in the end switched back.

If Trijicon would make an led version of these at a competitive price, they would have a winner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a 20-25MOA circle

I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#28]
what is the point of a 1.5x optic? Absense of a true 1x is considered a drawback for LPVs, but a good compromise since you also get 4x or higher in the same package, In the case of this ACOG, might as well get a red dot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
what is the point of a 1.5x optic? Absense of a true 1x is considered a drawback for LPVs, but a good compromise since you also get 4x or higher in the same package, In the case of this ACOG, might as well get a red dot.
View Quote

-Its a fraction of the weight of even the lightest LPV
-Its roughly the size of your thumb
-It doesn't rely on battery illum
-1.5X is awesome for outdoor close range shooting
-Its reticle is crisp for those with astigmatism whereas a red dot would look like a comet

Red dots, ACOGs, LPVs, and traditional scopes all have their roles in which they shine. At the end of the day you can hit shit with all of them, but all have different strengths, usually in the form of varying levels of speed:precision. ACOGs in general are great for military type applications where size/weight/durability is at a premium, and there is a need for quick reasonably accurate shots. The Australian military uses the TA-44 on their rifles, and 1.5X-ish optics have been fielded by a lot of service rifles with integral optics like the AUG and F2000.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Thoughts on ta44 vs ta45? They are both 1.5x.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thoughts on ta44 vs ta45? They are both 1.5x.
View Quote

The 44 has more FOV and less ER. The 45 has less FOV and more ER.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I like this one.

TA44-C-400241: Trijicon 1.5x16S Compact ACOG® Scope Low Height, Dual Illuminated Red Ring & 2 MOA Center Dot Reticle
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I have the 26S (1.5 ACOG on a speciality small mount, I don't think they make them anymore)

All the disadvantages of an ACOG  combined with all the disadvantages of a zero mag.

I went with the Spitfire 1X and like it a lot more.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The 44 has more FOV and less ER. The 45 has less FOV and more ER.
View Quote

Understood
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got the TA45 and love it.  It doesnt make sense until you look throu one why youd pay more than for an aimpoint.  But, Im sold.  Good review on the 44.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#36]
That sight picture is teh titz. Definirly wouldn't mind snagging a 44 to keep my 31 company
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have the 26S (1.5 ACOG on a speciality small mount, I don't think they make them anymore)

All the disadvantages of an ACOG  combined with all the disadvantages of a zero mag.

I went with the Spitfire 1X and like it a lot more.
View Quote
So, uh. I'll give you $600 for it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top