BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
My order is arriving today.  I'll try to take some pictures through NODs at the lower settings.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Agreed.  The photo, if close to what the naked eye sees, clearly shows the brightness to be up at a ridiculous level, compared to the level I'd select.
View Quote
Based on the limited reports we've seen so far I wonder if maybe the UH-1 washes-out more readily than others?  So, when taken outdoors you have to turn it up significantly to see the reticle.  Transition to lower light and now it's way too high.

If that's what's happening: That's no good, either.  Imagine having to execute a dynamic entry from bright daylight (think "sandbox") to a dimly-lit interior.  Or the other way around.

And before anybody says "What are you, some kinda operator or somethin'?"  No, I most definitely am not .  But, just what market is this optic aimed at?  Certainly not Joe Firearms Hobbyist (which is what I am--more or less).
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

"Feel better about it?"  Why would it make me "feel better about it?"

But, if that photo is an accurate rendition of how high you had that thing turned up, then, in my opinion, you had it turned up way beyond a reasonable level for the lighting conditions.  Do you recall what setting that was?  Based on member onebigbagostupid's comments it looks to have been at least 13.

Interesting that onebigbagostupid's comments didn't mention multiple "ghost" reticles at all.
View Quote
I think that the ghost reitcle thing is just a side effect of bloom, in indoor well lit, indoor poorly lit, and indoor no light at 13-15 I am able to make out faint elements of the reticle within the bloom. At 11- the reticle was still clear in overcast 5pm(70% cloud cover) and had virtually no bloom in well lit, poorly lit, and no light indoor conditions.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If that's what's happening: That's no good, either.  Imagine having to execute a dynamic entry from bright daylight (think "sandbox") to a dimly-lit interior.  Or the other way around..
View Quote
So I've on'y been able to test in overcast(5pm, 70% cloud cover so far) and even at 15 I could go from bright light to 0 light and still be able to use the light effectively, while there is significant bloom at this brightness setting, I still have no issue with utilizing the optic as the reticle still remains prominent and crips. Additionally, once I implemented a weapon light, which i imagine would be implemented in that scenario, that bloom evaporates.

While my only eotech experience was .mil and that's a few years back, I don't remember any of their optics getting this bright in their settings, i remember those optics at their brightest being at what would be 11 or 12 on the UH-1.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#5]
To get a better picture (of the reticle), the camera should be focused on something far away. Because it's a hologram, the reticle image is about 100 yards away. One of the nice things about holographic sights is the dot size. Unlike other technologies, dot size remains small even under magnification. A small center dot is preferred to offer the best possible POA. Increasing the brightness higher than necessary causes blooming in any sight. The blooming changes the effective dot size. In other words, if you purchased a $500 sight for the 1MOA center dot and turn it up too bright, the center dot will be much larger due to your eyes response.

What I like about the UH-1 is that it shows multiple reticles when the sight is too bright. Unlike the Eotech, you have a way to know if the dot size is accurate for the best possible POA. Therefore, you have a way to know if you are using your equipment properly. I should point out, the main reticle is much much brighter than the ghosts. The gohsts are probably less than 5% of the main reticle. Actually, when I make my Eotech brighter than it needs to be, it glows like a lamp! There is stray light coming out all over. Very distracting!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I should point out, the main reticle is much much brighter than the ghosts. The gohsts are probably less than 5% of the main reticle. Actually, when I make my Eotech brighter than it needs to be, it glows like a lamp! There is stray light coming out all over. Very distracting!
View Quote
This echos my findings as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone else see dust/debris inside theirs?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does anyone else see dust/debris inside theirs?
View Quote
There has been some particulate that I haven't been able to clean out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
It's hard to see any debris in mine. If I hold it at an angle, I can see a few specks of something? When I'm looking through the sight, at a target, I don't see it at all. With my 3x behind it, I still don't see it. More of an issue for a collector than user I think. I'm taking it to the range to see how it works.

I'll keep it if it - zeros easily, holds zero, and comes on and off the rail repeatably. When the brightness is set properly this reticle is super crisp. When I focus on the target with both eyes open, the "hood" disappears and I get a full field of view that seems nearly parallax free at 50 or so yards.

I checked my trijicon MRO with higher than needed brightness, it looks like spaghetti dinner in there!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Used it in the field this morning. Washed it in soap and water. Then snapped a few pictures of reticle with deifferent brightnesses. Ghosting is not an issue for me.

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Used it in the field this morning. Washed it in soap and water. Then snapped a few pictures of reticle with deifferent brightnesses. Ghosting is not an issue for me.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/Frycoll2525/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>
View Quote
seems perfectly fine to me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#12]
There is slight ghosting when looking for it, but it is so dim compared to the reticle that I don't even notice it if I'm looking at a target.  Setting 10 worked great for bright outdoors and in a dark room.

Thankfully, I was worried over something that is very minor to my eye.

I should be able to get night vision pics tonight.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o539/Frycoll2525/Enlight3_zps6hlxo61a.jpg
View Quote
Are any of those pics through a magnifier? I Only see that crisp of a reticle through a magnifier.

How did it zero and hold zero?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Question :

Does eotech use polycarbonate for their lenses as well? I know these are treated to be durable so I'd only use a lens pen and microfiber to clean, but I hope the coatings hold up. Polycarbonate scratches really easily when it's bare.

I can't find a good source on what eotech uses.

Edit : eotech  manual says glass front laminated rear
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's hard to see any debris in mine. If I hold it at an angle, I can see a few specks of something? When I'm looking through the sight, at a target, I don't see it at all. With my 3x behind it, I still don't see it. More of an issue for a collector than user I think. I'm taking it to the range to see how it works.

I'll keep it if it - zeros easily, holds zero, and comes on and off the rail repeatably. When the brightness is set properly this reticle is super crisp. When I focus on the target with both eyes open, the "hood" disappears and I get a full field of view that seems nearly parallax free at 50 or so yards.

I checked my trijicon MRO with higher than needed brightness, it looks like spaghetti dinner in there!
View Quote
I think it is what it is. Every time I look through it more specks appear inside the lenses. So it has to be stuff already in the cavity. Doesn't affect use as your focal point  is a target and not the lens. I'm just anal about optics that way. Camera lensss, home theater projector lenses, ect.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#16]
None of the pictures used a magnifier. A magnified scope is the ultimate test for this type of optic. I've had Eotech sights that blurred under magnification.

If the reticle is far away - like 100 yards, the magnifier can be used to measure total parallax. In other words, if the entire field of view is captured by the lens and the image is sharp, parallax is almost zero. If the image is blurred, it suggests parallax.

I need glasses to see a crisp image, through a holographic sight, because I can't see far away well. I didn't shoot in the field today,  I went to the range. It was easy to zero. And held zero as well as my shaky trigger figer allowed.

My rail is transmitting a lot of heat to the sight. The sight was actually warm when I finished. Need to find a new rail......
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Eotech uses glass. The Vortex uses polycarbonate with a special scratch resistant coating. I'd use care when cleaning any polycarbonate. Soap and water work best. Pat dry, don't rub. Nice thing about polycarbonate is that it won't shatter - ever.....
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Eotech uses glass. The Vortex uses polycarbonate with a special scratch resistant coating. I'd use care when cleaning any polycarbonate. Soap and water work best. Pat dry, don't rub. Nice thing about polycarbonate is that it won't shatter - ever.....
View Quote
I generally hate plastic or polycarbonate for any lenses. I've scratched scratch resistant expensive poly sunglasses on the first wipe. Polycarbonate also has lower light transmission and way more distortion and chromatic abberation, but that won't be an issue for a flat lens like this.  

That being said vortex seems to have used a very tough scratch resistant coating. Neither a lens pen or microfiber left any kind of mark. My only concern is how well coatings of any kind hold up with time and hard use. So far so good though on that front.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree. They took a risk introducing this type of window. I bet we see them switch to a glass or a glass like replacement. The windows don't really do anything. And I bet they can replace the "hood" easily if it gets too scratched.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One of the interesting things about our design is that the windows have nothing to do with the hologram. You could completely bust them out and still use the sight. They really are only there to waterproof the internals.
View Quote
What was the reasoning for polycarbonate lenses and how durable are the scratch resistant coatings?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Well I got mine in today and threw it on my MPX to see how it was going to look, was afraid it was going to be too big, but I like the look of it on the MPX. Haven't took to the range yet, but so far I love it.

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well I got mine in today and threw it on my MPX to see how it was going to look, was afraid it was going to be too big, but I like the look of it on the MPX. Haven't took to the range yet, but so far I love it.

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/siraltitude71/Mobile%20Uploads/_20170624_214612_zps8lylzzwb.jpg
View Quote
That looks great!  Let's see more pics on rifles!

My big plan for this sight is to put it on my Tavor (not its permanent residence, but for just this deal) and use it for a helecopter hog hunt in Texas!  The MRO normally occupies my Tavor, and it is great, but the Eotech reticle is preferred for the helecopter hog hunts for quick aquisition at the distances they typically shoot.  The compact maneuverability of the Tavor, combined with the UH-1 reticle, should be just the ticket! If I like it enough, I'll probably get another and stick it on an AR to serve as a back-up on the Heli-hunt.

I'd love to see a pic of one on a Tavor.  When I get mine, which might be a good while from Optics Planet, I'll get it on there and will post a pic.  Don't hold your breath, though.  Lots of people are in line in front of me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Has anybody's noticed the reticle seeming "grainy" or pixelated? I've noticed it on different brightness settings. I'll try and get pics later today.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Has anybody's noticed the reticle seeming "grainy" or pixelated? I've noticed it on different brightness settings. I'll try and get pics later today.
View Quote
I've never owned an Eotech nor do I own the Vortex but I did own the original Bushnell Gen 1 holo at one point. The reticle did appear grainy and pixelated as well. I believe it's really just something unique to holographic sights someone else more experienced can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's normal for holographic sights. Focus on the target and it will not look as grainy. It will also vary depending on the lighting your in and the brightness setting.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's a Holo sight, eotechs do the same thing for me
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've never owned an Eotech nor do I own the Vortex but I did own the original Bushnell Gen 1 holo at one point. The reticle did appear grainy and pixelated as well. I believe it's really just something unique to holographic sights someone else more experienced can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 
View Quote
Always use the sight on the lowest brightness setting possible. That will help it be as clear as possible.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
The light from a laser is grainy as it bounces from a surface. Shine one On something and see if it's not the same texture.

Grainy laser
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That looks great!  Let's see more pics on rifles!

My big plan for this sight is to put it on my Tavor (not its permanent residence, but for just this deal) and use it for a helecopter hog hunt in Texas!  The MRO normally occupies my Tavor, and it is great, but the Eotech reticle is preferred for the helecopter hog hunts for quick aquisition at the distances they typically shoot.  The compact maneuverability of the Tavor, combined with the UH-1 reticle, should be just the ticket! If I like it enough, I'll probably get another and stick it on an AR to serve as a back-up on the Heli-hunt.

I'd love to see a pic of one on a Tavor.  When I get mine, which might be a good while from Optics Planet, I'll get it on there and will post a pic.  Don't hold your breath, though.  Lots of people are in line in front of me.
View Quote
MY photography skills are lacking.

60W lightbulb on setting 10.

NV on setting 1. (The reticle is crisp, the blur is from my camera.)

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The light from a laser is grainy as it bounces from a surface. Shine one On something and see if it's not the same texture.

Grainy laser
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grainy laser
I suspect the way holographic sights work is by shining a laser at a small glass prism that has the reticle shape etched into it. Because the etched surface is not optically smooth and the laser photons are collimated (all moving parallel to each other), you get a lot of diffuse reflection patterns which interfere - think of it like dropping a bag full of BB's into a tub of water; the "grainy-ness" you describe is the interference pattern made by all the waves. 

The pattern speckle looks like it's moving because the photons are parallel but not exactly lined up so the patterns move around and there is some aliasing/downsampling by our nervous system because we can only process ~30 fps visually.

If you focus on the target then you're not focusing on the reticle detail, hence the speckle disappears/is drastically reduced.

(I had an eotech xps3-2 that I really tried to like but the speckle and my astigmatism eventually moved my to an aimpoint micro. BUT, I'm a Vortex fanboy and would like to get a chance to fondle one of these.)
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:30:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95412/P1020793-238990.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95412/P1020794-238991.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95412/P1020802-238994.jpg
View Quote
I'm sorry but that looks like garbage to me. My $200 Holosun 503c is probably the crispest reticle I've seen.

I do like the sight picture though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:34:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Turn up any other red dot to an inappropriately high brightness setting and it becomes unusable as well. What do you expect?
View Quote
Simply incorrect.

Annoying yes. Unusable?  No.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:20:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Extremely common with holo's.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm sorry but that looks like garbage to me. My $200 Holosun 503c is probably the crispest reticle I've seen.
View Quote
As I wrote, earlier: My guess is what's happening is people are trying to take pictures of the reticle against comparatively dim/dark backgrounds.  With point-and-shoot type cameras that generally do light averaging to set exposure, anything much brighter than the average will be "blown out."  In order to do what they're trying to do, fixed exposure settings are required.

(Re: Holosun.  Never thought I'd find myself doing this, but, yesterday I ordered an HS503GU and ADM QD mount to tide me over until somebody comes up with an optic I can like.  Or at least find tolerable.)
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#37]
For those of you who have gotten theirs   , How does the UH-! line up for Co-Witnessing ?  Absolute or lower 1/3rd ?  Especially with a standard A2 front sight

Thank you
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For those of you who have gotten theirs   , How does the UH-! line up for Co-Witnessing ?  Absolute or lower 1/3rd ?  Especially with a standard A2 front sight

Thank you
View Quote
Lower 1/3.  In answer to the next inevitable question: No: The mount is integral.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you serious? He's taking a photo against a dark background, the reticle is going to be blown out regardless of which sight you use. Others have stated that the reticle is fairly crisp, so these pictures are likely not representative of the actual sight picture.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Are you serious? He's taking a photo against a dark background, the reticle is going to be blown out regardless of which sight you use. Others have stated that the reticle is fairly crisp, so these pictures are likely not representative of the actual sight picture.
View Quote
This reticle is on par if not slightly more crisp than other similarly priced holo sights that I've used.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95412/P1020793-238990.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95412/P1020794-238991.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95412/P1020802-238994.jpg

It's due to my hand slightly shaking, nothing more.  

The reticle is as sharp as an eotech.  I haven't had time to go to the range, but so far I'm very pleased with it.

My only disappointment was that it didn't come with a charging cable.  I have all apple devices so I don't have any of the smaller USB cords.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#42]
If you use rechargeables how do you know if they are charged/charging?
Does the reticle blink/ flash?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I received mine and fired it up. The reti le isnt going to play well with my astigmatism.

Too bad. I really wanted to like it. Put it on the EE.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I received mine and fired it up. The reti le isnt going to play well with my astigmatism.

Too bad. I really wanted to like it. Put it on the EE.
View Quote
Why not just return it?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There are definitely trade offs between glass and poly-carbonate. The advantage with polycarb is that it is shatter resistant, but it will scratch more easily than glass. We did put a very scratch resistant coating on the lenses though, so that should help mitigate that.

There are other glasses that are very durable, such as sapphire, and others, but they are very expensive and would have added significant cost. It's something that we are considering for the future though.
View Quote
The only advantage polycarbonate has over glass is the impact/ breaking.  Polycarbonate even with a coating scratches very easily, it will yellow/ haze  even with high UV inhibitors but these should have limited exposure to sunlight and it will never be as clear as glass or acrylic.  I work in the polymer industry (polycarbonates and other plastics).  

As with any lower cost optic, it's always the lens that makes it low cost.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why not just return it?
View Quote
I plan to if it doesnt sell by midweek.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quick very basic straight-to-the-point review (and forgive me since this is my first one).

The optic is built solid, mounts perfectly, and the field-of-view is amazing.

The reticle is crisp and clear when you have it in the "perfect" brightness setting.  However, as some people have mentioned, if you transition to lower light, even outside like aiming somewhere in the shade or a darker background, the setting now becomes too high and you have ghost (and blooming depending on the brightness setting).  Can I tell which is the "real" reticle, yes.  However, it is at least to me, very distracting and annoying. 

To those that say there is debris/dust in them.  Yes, mine has just a tad and even what appears to be a quarter of someone's eyelash (not joking).  However, the debris appears to have no impact on the optic itself and I do not find it bothersome, especially when looking through the optic.  I'm only stating this for those that are concerned about it.

I have perfect 20/20 vision and I had EOTech's, Micro's, and other Aimpoints but they never ghosted, bloomed/had multiple reticles.  To be honest, I thought members were exaggerating about it and wasn't bothered by early reports.  However, the sight is very unforgiving when transitioning backgrounds. Overall it is a great clear reticle but I feel that the constant up or down in settings to get rid of the ghost (or blooming) has been annoying thus far.

The optic looks great on my rifle and I'm forcing myself to love it but I just.....can't.

P.S. for those that are interested.  My background is 13 years in the military with some time in Iraq.  I consider myself a very hobby oriented shooter that loves his firearms and gear.  I am not an operator or highspeed.....just a normal guy. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I wonder if any of the blooming issues are caused by using polycarbonate windows or any of the coatings. As to the debris, no it doesn't affect function but these should be assembled in clean rooms to avoid contamination. Mine keeps getting more specks on the inside of the windows. That can only mean there is more debris sealed inside and moving around. Again doesn't affect function but not great quality control either. I also do worry about the durability of using polycarbonate with scratch resistant coatings. Will they eventually degrade and look less transparent.
Page / 20
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top