Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 20
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Just spoke to OpticsPlant and they informed me "The estimated time of arrival on the product is May 18th."

Any way Vortex Sam can verify this info? Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only thing I can speak to at the moment is that we are still finalizing testing. Results are very, very good and it is almost finished. Barring anything unexpected, we will hopefully be shipping soon after testing is complete. 

I am really hesitant to try and confirm a date with how many moving pieces there are involved, so unfortunately I have to be relatively vague right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just spoke to OpticsPlant and they informed me "The estimated time of arrival on the product is May 18th."

Any way Vortex Sam can verify this info? Thanks!
The only thing I can speak to at the moment is that we are still finalizing testing. Results are very, very good and it is almost finished. Barring anything unexpected, we will hopefully be shipping soon after testing is complete. 

I am really hesitant to try and confirm a date with how many moving pieces there are involved, so unfortunately I have to be relatively vague right now.
Completely understandable.

I never take Optic Planets ETA on items seriously as they tend to just pull a number out of their ass and roll with it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:12:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
What exactly is being tested?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The main one right now is thermal drift. But all sorts of other things, like shock, recoil, waterproofness, battery life, etc. 

We want to make sure this sight is solid. It's performing extremely well so far.
View Quote
Have you tested parasitic battery drain/loss?

That was a big one for the earlier Eotechs, and let's be honest, that's who you're "trying" to "beat", regardless of how you word things. So I presume you are being super careful of hitting any of their pit falls to avoid the "Eotechs did this, too..." type posts and statements that will permeate the web, should you fall into them.

Also...what's the RTZ for your mount. Since it's the only one "available", how's she do...?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The main one right now is thermal drift. But all sorts of other things, like shock, recoil, waterproofness, battery life, etc. 
View Quote
I thought all that was nailed-down by January or so.  Might it be these are production samples you're testing?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Jerry Miculek - Sets STL World Record - SHOT Show 2017
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:41:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We don't have any issues with parasitic drain and the mount returns to zero extremely well. Of course getting good RTZ also assumes that the user does their part in making sure mating surfaces stay clean and that the sight is mounted to the same rail position every time. I know that's probably obvious to you and most people, but it still needs to be said. 
View Quote
Can you further define "extremely well"?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We have a test bench that uses a camera behind the optic with a high mag lens and a collimator on the other end (simulates a target at distance, 100y in this case).

In a nutshell, we can see on the computer screen things you could never see with the naked eye. When we took the sight on and off the pic rail numerous times in front of the camera we couldn't see any change in POA. As an engineer, I'm hesitant to speak in absolutes, like saying there is zero POA shift. So I'll just say we couldn't see any on the test bench.
View Quote
Has live fire testing concluded the same?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Battery life ever disclosed?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I believe it was said probably 2 or 3 pages ago that it was around a couple of months. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I believe it was said probably 2 or 3 pages ago that it was around a couple of months. 
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
I've missed a few pages of this thread but I believe Vortex said 8 months on a battery with the auto off feature.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've missed a few pages of this thread but I believe Vortex said 8 months on a battery with the auto off feature.
View Quote
FTR I was quoting a constant on battery life. 
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

FTR I was quoting a constant on battery life. 
View Quote
Well, the auto off cuts it off after 14 hours. So I'd cut that 8mo in half for constant on.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, the auto off cuts it off after 14 hours. So I'd cut that 8mo in half for constant on.
View Quote
I thought they said you could deactivate that?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:17:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I thought they said you could deactivate that?
View Quote
They did.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Why is the release of this optic being handled so much differently than the strike eagle 1-8?

The SE was teased and within a few months it was out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why is the release of this optic being handled so much differently than the strike eagle 1-8?

The SE was teased and within a few months it was out.
View Quote
This optic is gunning for Eotech's share of the market and my guess is that they want to make damn sure it's good to go before releasing it, for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:19:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This optic is gunning for Eotech's share of the market and my guess is that they want to make damn sure it's good to go before releasing it, for obvious reasons.
View Quote
Yep. It's also new for Vortex. A tube optic is not. They are probably triple checking it, and triple checking their triplechecks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#27]
You're missing my point or I'm not being clear.

Tube or not. The SE 1-8 wasn't even on the radar. They teased the thing and it was available within a few months. I don't recall it being at SHOT.

Why is that same company showing off the UH1 before SHOT and 6 months later they're still testing the thing.

It's not out of the ordinary for a company to try to get the hype train rolling like this in any industry. Just seems odd they really planned the SE release but not the UH1.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't want to talk out of my ass here, but I think that because this a new style of optic for Vortex combined AMG on it has demanded that the product meet a higher standard. The SE 1-8 was a logical progression for the line which made it a much easier optic to design/produce. I have not had reason to be upset with Vortex while waiting for the uh-1 to be finalized, they want it to be a quality optic and I'll wait for that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't want to talk out of my ass here, but I think that because this a new style of optic for Vortex combined AMG on it has demanded that the product meet a higher standard. The SE 1-8 was a logical progression for the line which made it a much easier optic to design/produce. I have not had reason to be upset with Vortex while waiting for the uh-1 to be finalized, they want it to be a quality optic and I'll wait for that.
View Quote
This. I can't speak to the reality of it but I'm sure the SE only required changes in manufacturing. The UH1 is an entirely new system and the previous go to manufacturer that made a similar product released defective products and really screwed the pooch on them so Vortex expects people to highly scrutinize their example. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This. I can't speak to the reality of it but I'm sure the SE only required changes in manufacturing. The UH1 is an entirely new system and the previous go to manufacturer that made a similar product released defective products and really screwed the pooch on them so Vortex expects people to highly scrutinize their example. 
View Quote
Heck, if we're speculating now, who's to say it didn't go to test, then small lot manufacturing and it fell short of expectations?  Now they are scrambling back to redesign / rework or manufacturing process changes.

The point is, no one besides them know the truth.   But it doesn't make sense why it is taking so long unless there were problems found.   I'm sure they want sell them to make money on their investment. At the same time, they don't want to get a bad rap if they release it and it's not ready.

I won't be buying one until they've been on the street for a while.  I don't want to be the beta tester.  Glock got me once and now I'm always skeptical on new product releases.

These are very interesting though. I'm hoping they hit a home run with it.

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Heck, if we're speculating now, who's to say it didn't go to test, then small lot manufacturing and it fell short of expectations?  Now they are scrambling back to redesign / rework or manufacturing process changes.

The point is, no one besides them know the truth.   But it doesn't make sense why it is taking so long unless there were problems found.   I'm sure they want sell them to make money on their investment. At the same time, they don't want to get a bad rap if they release it and it's not ready.

I won't be buying one until they've been on the street for a while.  I don't want to be the beta tester.  Glock got me once and now I'm always skeptical on new product releases.

These are very interesting though. I'm hoping they hit a home run with it.

View Quote
S&B short dot CC 1-8
Nightforce daylight bright lpv
Aimpoint comp m5

There are plenty of optics people have waited longer to get...
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
This was what I was implying several posts back.  It doesn't necessarily Mean Anything.  It's a pretty normal part of the design/engineering/manufacturing cycle.

Many, many moons ago I had a job designing and fabricating wiring harnesses for a small operation.  They'd give me a new product.  I'd manually, wire-by-wire, connection-by-connection, wire it.  Then I'd lift what I'd done out, design a "nail board" for it, build one, put it in the machine.  Of course it wouldn't be quite right.  Adjust the jig, try again.  And that, compared to this product, was brain-dead simplicity.

It does look like they ran into an unexpected snag or two, though.  *shrug*  It happens.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:20:49 AM EDT
[#34]
It would be awesome to get an update from Vortex.  I just pre-ordered from Optics Planet last week and the estimate was 1-7 days; now it shows two months.  I know Optics Planets estimates are not guarantees, but am wondering what reasonable timeframe we are looking at now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It would be awesome to get an update from Vortex.  I just pre-ordered from Optics Planet last week and the estimate was 1-7 days; now it shows two months.
View Quote
Optics Planet's estimates I suspect are based on dice rolls ;)  They emailed me a notification, back a couple months ago, indicating my Jan. 9 order would ship w/in the next couple weeks or something.

Where do you find these estimates?  I just checked my order and the product page.  Found no such thing.  Not that it matters.  I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Optics Planet's estimates I suspect are based on dice rolls ;)  They emailed me a notification, back a couple months ago, indicating my Jan. 9 order would ship w/in the next couple weeks or something.

Where do you find these estimates?  I just checked my order and the product page.  Found no such thing.  Not that it matters.  I'm just curious.
View Quote
Go to the Optics Planet site and pull up a specific item, right under list price and "Add to Cart" button, there is a link which says "Check Product Availability."  Last week when I activated this link, it did whatever voodoo it does to determine the shipping estimate and showed "1-7 days" whereas now it shows "2-4 months."
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Go to the Optics Planet site and pull up a specific item, right under list price and "Add to Cart" button, there is a link which says "Check Product Availability."  Last week when I activated this link, it did whatever voodoo it does to determine the shipping estimate and showed "1-7 days" whereas now it shows "2-4 months."
View Quote
I determined long ago, back when 5x G45 magnifiers were "1 month out" or whatever that it wasn't worth a damn.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Sounds to me like there are issues with this Optic...
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
We know who you are.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We know who you are.
View Quote
I don't.  Who is he?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Supposedly I'm 6th on OpticsPlanet's queue. I'll let y'all know when I get a shipping date.

Ordered it on Christmas.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Supposedly I'm 6th on OpticsPlanet's queue. I'll let y'all know when I get a shipping date.

Ordered it on Christmas.
View Quote
I'm 136 and ordered in late February. They told me mid august, but who knows really when it will ship.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I just ordered last week, so I'm probably WAY down the list.  That's ok, though.  I'll wait.  I got 14% off, and I've got a Sparc AR on the way to play with.  PSA has a Sparc AR and 10 Pmags for 200 bucks. I couldn't pass that up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
x2........ill get the gen 2 a year a from now and continue to run my T2 until then.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

x2........ill get the gen 2 a year a from now and continue to run my T2 until then.
View Quote
Sounds to me like they are going the extra mile to get it right the first time.  I bought a Sparc, granted it is not the same animal, right when they first came out, and it has had zero issues. Some companies do it right.  Besides, their warranty is 2nd to none, if there is a problem.  I just don't see the risk here.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Have to agree with Dan on this one.I always wait till a product is out for a while before I take the plunge but pre-ordered 2 months ago with sport optics.Just feels like there making  the extra effort to get it rite.It does have the prefix Razor AMG.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We know who you are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We know who you are.
And - who exactly am I?  Strange comment.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Idk why ppl are worried about the UH1. It's not like Vortex hasn't already brought several successful red dots to market. Not to mention the fact that they're dominating the precision rifle optic world at the moment. I don't have a dog in this fight as I have all the red dot optics I need but if I were in the market for one I would strongly consider waiting for the UH1.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:39:12 AM EDT
[#50]
How much tint is there?
Page / 20
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top