Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2016 8:59:46 PM EDT
Looking for peoples opinion of them, Looking to get a couple of them.
One for a ar15 an one for a Tavor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
i have one on my x95 now. i like it because with a red dot all i see is a blur. its nice and clear. with the spacer it right at the right level when one shoulders the x95.the negative is that one can't co witness with it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#2]
i have had one since they came out with them and really like it. and i bought it for a similar reason as the previous poster, i have a bad astigmatism and cant use red dots. they seem to be built like a tank and since it has a lifetime no fault warranty i figured why not try one. glass is pretty good but not aimpoint good but at least its a perfectly round dot with circles around it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Another victim of Astigmatism, checking in...

I have one on a 9mm SBR, and it fits the gun perfectly. I'm not crazy about having 2 circles surrounding the dot, but I've gotten used to it. I really like mine; got it last year after black Friday, when PSA had them on sale for $150.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one on an SBR'd MPX.  What I like about having a 1x scope as opposed to a RDS is that I can focus it to use without my glasses, or with. I also like having something that doesn't absolutely  require  batteries. Of course it's not a true 1x. You'll noticethe slight magnification especially when you are moving.

That said, I'm thinking about an MRO for my current build.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#5]
You guys that have them ... do you have the new AR with the buttons or the older one with the dial switch?
Just curious which one guys like better.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You guys that have them ... do you have the new AR with the buttons or the older one with the dial switch?
View Quote

Mine has the dial and it sucks like most every other dial.
The only dial I like in on a Burris MTAC I've had for about 4 or 5 years, because every other click is off. I really like that feature.
It's very easy to return to your last setting.

My wife just bought a Vortex Strikefire II. It has buttons, but I'm not sure if the Spitfire has the same layout/controls or not though.

I've not messed with it much (it's not even mounted yet), but my first impression about the buttons is that you can't tell if it's on or not without looking thru it.
At least with the dial, you can see that you need to turn it off.
If it had an auto off with motion sense, I'd love it.
The turn on/off long press is way too long though.
IMO it should be about 0.5S, but it feels like 2 or 3 seconds.
It remembers the last settings, which is nice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

i have the dial. i never use it unless its needed which is rarely.  that is the goodness of a etched recticle. it does not need batteries and its always there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 of them, dial versions. One on a 9mm AR and one a PSA mid-length rifle. Both have been GTG.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Any deals on them at $150-$175? $230-$250 is a little steep.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two of them. Maybe the best non magnified optic I've ever had.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Another victim of Astigmatism, checking in...

I have one on a 9mm SBR, and it fits the gun perfectly. I'm not crazy about having 2 circles surrounding the dot, but I've gotten used to it. I really like mine; got it last year after black Friday, when PSA had them on sale for $150.
View Quote

I bought one of the PSA specials too.   I actually like the darn thing.   I have other red dots that look blurry and the center dot on the Vortex reticle is clear as day.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The only thing I picked up on black Friday last year. PSA had the 1st gen 1x on sale for $149 so I got one.

I like that the new one takes a AAA battery but I don't like the buttons, I prefer the dials on my model
Most of the time I don't even turn it on. I like that the reticle is simple rings with a dot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#13]
mines the old school one with the dial
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Really close to pulling the trigger on one of these.  Can't help but think I might be making a mistake instead of waiting, saving, and going with a 1-4 like the new Steiner.

I have hands on with an Elcan 1/4.  Does this behave similarly to the Elcan when put in 1x?  Or am I out of my mind with expectations when comparing this to an Elcan?
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:36:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Really close to pulling the trigger on one of these.  Can't help but think I might be making a mistake instead of waiting, saving, and going with a 1-4 like the new Steiner.

I have hands on with an Elcan 1/4.  Does this behave similarly to the Elcan when put in 1x?  Or am I out of my mind with expectations when comparing this to an Elcan?
View Quote

The Elcans are prism optics and have a tougher housing. These won't be as strong.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:57:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought one on sale and really like it for $150.  I prefer my Aimpont Pro for HD because of the battery life I can leave it turned on.  However, the etched reticle means you can use it when batteries are dead.  i dont think you can use a magnifier, but not 100% on that.  The glass is really bright and clear.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I'm probably the only person that is not a fan. I know it is a budget type sight.

Had a ridiculous optic shift to where I could barely align my MBUS rear. had it completely shifted and was close, but still not enough to have proper alignment. It was a glass issue also, everything was straight.

Also the glass was pretty bad, imo.

I would spend the money on an AimPoint Pro 10/10 times before getting another spitfire. That being said I would like to try some of Vortex's other red dot offerings.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a first gen Sparc and two first gen Strikefires as well. They all work well for me
but I shoot as a hobby
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think I'm probably the only person that is not a fan. I know it is a budget type sight.

Had a ridiculous optic shift to where I could barely align my MBUS rear. had it completely shifted and was close, but still not enough to have proper alignment. It was a glass issue also, everything was straight.

Also the glass was pretty bad, imo.

I would spend the money on an AimPoint Pro 10/10 times before getting another spitfire. That being said I would like to try some of Vortex's other red dot offerings.
View Quote

Aimpoint Pro is a red dot. This is not. For people with astigmatism it is apples and oranges. BUIS is not needed with this reticle. I have both and they are both great, but completely different animals.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't know what was up with my spitfire, but it didn't work well for me with both eyes open. It was like looking through a 1.5 power scope with both open. Kind of disorienting and hard to get a quick sight picture. A cool scope, but just didn't work for me. I decided to return it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 5...love them.

Added: I have 3 of the older ones and 2 of the newer ones. I like the fact that the new ones take a more common battery, but I like the fact that you have 2 different mount heights with the older ones. Also like the tethered caps on the older ones. I rarely turn them on too.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a 1st gen on a 300BLK pistol.  Works well for me for it's intended purpose.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know what was up with my spitfire, but it didn't work well for me with both eyes open. It was like looking through a 1.5 power scope with both open. Kind of disorienting and hard to get a quick sight picture. A cool scope, but just didn't work for me. I decided to return it.
View Quote

Gave it a shot as well and just couldn't really get a grasp of it.  Back to the squiggly dot for me
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Gave it a shot as well and just couldn't really get a grasp of it.  Back to the squiggly dot for me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DI'd you guys try adjusting the focus on the eyepiece? I have to get mine just right.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

DI'd you guys try adjusting the focus on the eyepiece? I have to get mine just right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gave it a shot messing with that too.  I'm right eye dominant but left handed.  I wanted to shoot right handed for the benefits of the right eye.  My right eye has bad astigmatism, while my left has just a touch of it.  I can get by OK with my left eye and I can shoot just fine with a red dot.  I'm thinking that I stick to left handed shooting with my left eye out of my red dots as opposed to trying to go righty with the spitfire.  

Even with my right eye I could probably send 3-4 rounds downrange within a 12'' pie at 100 yards as opposed to trying to find the eyebox on this optic.  

Is not a bad optic, just not for me after being spoiled with red dots.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent several hours fooling with it, maybe I never got it perfect, but I got tired of screwing with it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Just FYI. PSA has them on sale for 169$
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I have three of the earlier dial models...one of which I installed on a Mossberg 930 SPX. I love the idea of the etched reticles and rarely illuminate any of the three for their application, There's just something about the concentric ring reticle that draws my eye for quick target acquisition. The Spitfire 3X post version reticle just  didn't work for me. My Spitfires  have also proven to be tough and durable...even under the more severe shotgun recoil use. Unfortunately in a constant "on" setting...their battery life leaves much to be desired and compared to my Aimpoints... they downright suck in that department.

For the money though....the Spitfire 1X is one heck of an unmagnified optic and like all of my Vortex optics...extremely hard to beat. I would rate my three consistently at 9/10.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I have three of the earlier dial models...one of which I installed on a Mossberg 930 SPX I love the idea of the etched reticles and rarely illuminate any of the three for their application, There's just something about the concentric ring reticle that draws my eye for quick target acquisition. The Spitfire 3X post version reticle just  didn't work for me. My Spitfires  have also proven to be tough and durable...even under the more severe shotgun recoil use. Unfortunately in a constant "on" setting...their battery life leaves much to be desired and compared to my Aimpoints... they downright suck in that department.

For the money though....the Spitfire 1X is one heck of an unmagnified optic and like all of my Vortex optics...extremely hard to beat. I would rate my three consistently at 9/10.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top