Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2016 12:18:00 AM EDT
So my main style of shooting is off the bench, shooting for groups.

Considering getting an optic. My eyes are only getting worse.

So realistically the max range I'd ever probably shoot would be 200 yards. Main goal would still be accuracy, but I like shooting offhand from time to time.

On the balance I am thinking about something like the PA 1-6x24 or Vortex Strike Eagle. Seems like enough magnification to shoot for accuracy out to 200 yards... and I figure if I dial it back to 1x I can use it more or less like a red dot if I ever were to go to Front Sight?

At first I was thinking something like a Vortex Daimondback 40 or 50 objective but that seems like overkill for my needs.

So am I correct in assuming that with one of these at 1x I've got a poor mans red dot and at 4-5x I've got reasonable magnification for shooting groups at 1-200 yards?

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure 6x is enough to hit your target @ 200y, but I'm not sure it's enough magnification for groups at that distance.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
If my main type of shooting was shooting for groups off the bench, I'd want more magnification.  But are you saying you'd want to take a carbine class with it?  Is that what you meant by going to front sight?  You can't use the irons with a traditional scope inbetween them though.  If that's what you mean.  Not like a red dot.

I think you need both.  RDS and maybe something that goes up to 9 or 10 power for shooting for groups.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
With my poor eye sight, my experience has been to want more scope than my 2-7x allows for when shooting for groups at 175 yds.

I would want more magnification based on my experience.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Strictly shooting for groups at bench calls for a specialized scope of very high magnification - a fixed power scope of at least 18x, preferably 24x or even 36x or 45x!  Thats what benchrest shooters use.   Those scopes also have very fine 1/8 MOA turrets and crosshairs.  They are useless for anything else, however.

The entry level for decent target scopes would be something like a Weaver T-24 or T-36.

More practical would be a 6-24x50 with target turrets and reticle.

If you want to also shoot "off hand" as you say, target scopes will not work as field of view will be terrible.

You may do best with a classic 3-9x40mm scope or equivalent.   If you are not going to shoot beyond 200 yards, you do not need exposed turrets or fancy reticles for bullet drop.  Something like the 3-9x40 Diamondback or Leupold's VX-1 would serve you well.  The Leupold has comparable glass and more durable build quality.  About $199.

Get 45 degree offset iron sights or offset red dot for in close.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:36:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all for your input.

I'll give it some thought. I guess in terms of "shooting for groups" I am not looking to be Molon.

I just use the most economical off the shelf pseudo match ammo, like Hornady steel match, Outback, etc. I shoot maybe 250 rounds a month.

I got some thinking to do... maybe next time I see folks with scopes at the range I'll ask to take a peep.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I think anything over 14X gets annoying.  Any tiny little movement is so magnified at higher mags.  I think those guys are typically using a sled or something when they go real high in magnification.  If you're just using bags or caldwell rests, too much magnification is not ideal.  IMHO.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top