Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2016 2:02:17 AM EDT
Im looking into 3 Gun optics for my SR15, and now I'm considering this optic for
my rifle.

It's a bit more dough, however it looks promising for the price tag.

What's the hive mind say about it?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:15:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the TMR-D optic on my 14.5" SR-15 mod 2. I actually just wrote a little about it in a thread where johndough asked about pictures of the reticle. I like how it's on the low end weight compared of to other 1-6x's. Supposedly the 7.62 version is supposed to line up fairly well to 77gr rounds. I struggled between the 3 reticles and ended up with the TMR-D
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
TSpork, that was a great post. You got me looking into the TMR reticule
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:34:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TSpork, that was a great post. You got me looking into the TMR reticule
View Quote

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them. Also, those pictures were taken with a battery that had been used quite a bit already, so the reticle isn't as bright as a new one would be
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd save your money and get a VX6.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you elaborate on this? I am tossing around a VX6 or MK6 personally.  I like the VX6 with the exception of the illumination button.  What reticle do you have in your VX6??
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can you elaborate on this? I am tossing around a VX6 or MK6 personally.  I like the VX6 with the exception of the illumination button.  What reticle do you have in your VX6??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's talking about your return of investment there. The MK 6 costs over $2k because it's built to be tough for the military. It even has a 20mm objective with a 34mm tube. The tube was made thicker to withstand abuse, are you really going to put it through that kind of abuse? The VX6 was built for 3 Gun and it's tough enough to take 3 Gun level abuse and it has a 24mm objective lens. A bigger objective will allow more light into the scope so you can see better. The VX6 also costs less than $1000. That being said you should always buy the best scope you can afford and if you really can afford a $2k easily, the best in the market is supposed to be the Kahles 1-6x.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think he's talking about your return of investment there. The MK 6 costs over $2k because it's built to be tough for the military. It even has a 20mm objective with a 34mm tube. The tube was made thicker to withstand abuse, are you really going to put it through that kind of abuse? The VX6 was built for 3 Gun and it's tough enough to take 3 Gun level abuse and it has a 24mm objective lens. A bigger objective will allow more light into the scope so you can see better. The VX6 also costs less than $1000. That being said you should always buy the best scope you can afford and if you really can afford a $2k easily, the best in the market is supposed to be the Kahles 1-6x.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that tube thicker...or is there just more dead space under it allowing for deformation that will not affect inner workings in excess of what the vx6 could tolerate?

Look at the diameter vs. weight of the two, and you tell me ; )

People lose their minds over perception. This is literally all that sells the vcog,lol *mmmm....Igor see big housing. Igor like! Igor no care about erector assembly or lens bedding! "
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is that tube thicker...or is there just more dead space under it allowing for deformation that will not affect inner workings in excess of what the vx6 could tolerate?

People lose their minds over perception. This is literally all that sells the vcog,lol *mmmm....Igor see big housing. Igor like! Igor no care about erector assembly or lens bedding! "
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should have added that this was just my uneducated opinion comparing the two. In all honesty idk.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I should have added that this was just my uneducated opinion comparing the two. In all honesty idk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of Leupolds scopes are pretty darn durable, as a whole. The VX6 is a 3-gunner scope (based on reticle), while the CMR-W was more of a bid at the SCO contract, which ultimately was retracted and "will live to see another day...", along with the VCOG and a couple of other offerings. The MK8 answers the mail with a GREAT! reticle (H27D), but cost and weight and so on make it less than appealing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I love the CMR-W reticle, but wish they made it in SFP and offered it in the VX-6.  I have no use for FFP on a 1-6x optic.  

I'm thinking about a 1-6x myself, and am leaning towards the Mark 6 with the CMR2 reticle.  I have no problem with push button illumination.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#11]
What height scope mount would I need for the CMR-W 5.56?

My SR-15 has a 16" barrel, and a 1 in 7 twist
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mount height should be determined by your cheek weld preference.

The industry standard one-piece flattop mounts all hover around 1.5" +/-.

I personally prefer a slightly lower mount.  But that's me, and it has to be YOUR preference.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I use the Larue lt-104 on most of my scopes, it's at 1.5" and perfect with my sopmod, str stocks. Like already stated, it depends on your preference and what suits you best.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:15:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a 14.5" SR-15. I use an LT-104
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I personally prefer a slightly lower mount.  But that's me, and it has to be YOUR preference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a trend to higher mounts (1.93") because of the more "heads up" orientation that it allows. However, I tend to agree with you. I like to use "memory points" to bring the gun up the same way each time, indexing off of various facial features/stock contact points. It feels "right" to me and is faster FOR ME.

YMMV 100% here.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

IM sent
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top