Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2016 3:51:59 PM EDT
I'm shopping for folding iron sights and the Troy HK style front sights seem to dominate the marketplace. I have never used them.

My question is: Why? Is there an advantage to using them vs the M4 type.

I'm also not stuck on Troy, just they seem to be the most prevalent available. I do want them in FDE and to be made of metal, but I'm open to other suggestions too. They'll be going on a 10.5" pistol build that will get a RDS later on.

Thanks.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My question is: Why? Is there an advantage to using them vs the M4 type.

View Quote

don't know if this is even a advantage more then putting some  different looking sights  on a AR for a different sight picture.  but, from shooting my HK clone rifles, the round front sight protector,  kinda "fits"  into the rear peep sight.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/Visierlinie.jpg

now, if you like that kind of sight picture, over  the AR sight picture. then,  I guess it would be a  "advantage" to you
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:29:46 AM EDT
[#2]
on HK sights, the front post is always dead center of the front ring.
line up the front ring in the rear peep and center of the ring is POI.
it's a very fast sight picture.
like any peep, you don't see the peep, you just center the ring in the brightest part of what you see through the peep.

on an AR, elevation is adjusted by moving the front post up/down, so the scenario above is not true.
I find it counter productive myself, as I always want to center the 'ring' in the peep.
obviously not an issue for everyone.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

like any peep, you don't see the peep, you just center the ring in the brightest part of what you see through the peep.

on an AR, elevation is adjusted by moving the front post up/down, so the scenario above is not true.

I find it counter productive myself, as I always want to center the 'ring' in the peep.

View Quote

That has been my experience as well. HK style hooded front sights are incompatible with the AR-style elevation adjustments. I sold all of mine off and stick with M4 style sights for M4 style rifles.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. That's very helpful info.

I decided on using an M4 type front sight for the reasons listed.

So I guess they're just about the aesthetics and don't offer any advantage at all for an AR. But I have to admit, they do LOOK cool though.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

The HK-style sights I have (Troy) are adjustable for elevation.  Only difference between them and a standard M4 style sight is the style of the hood, which I find helps me get aligned faster.  And also looks sexy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The HK style creates a circle inside a circle and is quick and intuitive. I prefer it for short range combat style shooting.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The HK-style sights I have (Troy) are adjustable for elevation.  Only difference between them and a standard M4 style sight is the style of the hood, which I find helps me get aligned faster.  And also looks sexy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the problem. The elevation is adjusted by moving the front sight post, so the center of the circle is no longer the point of impact which is counter intuitive since your eye wants to center the circle of the hood in the circle of the rear peep. HK style sights work well when the elevation adjustments are made on the rear sight, so the top of the front post is always centered in the circle.

Obviously, none of this really matters blasting at close range.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's the problem. The elevation is adjusted by moving the front sight post, so the center of the circle is no longer the point of impact which is counter intuitive since your eye wants to center the circle of the hood in the circle of the rear peep. HK style sights work well when the elevation adjustments are made on the rear sight, so the top of the front post is always centered in the circle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand what you are saying and it's why I didn't buy a set of HK style Troy Micro sights for my Beretta ARX-100 when I was looking at them about a year ago.

I don't know why people don't understand this and from what I have seen most guys don't even seem to realize that there is a problem.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

All of this. I have an HK style Troy front sight on one gun and I hate the post not being centered in the ring. The only reason it hasn't been changed out is it's on a gun that doesn't see much use.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh, that makes sense, but I see it as a limitation, not a problem.  The circle on circle makes sure I have the sights properly aligned - whether or not the post is in the center of the circle seems to be irrelevant, no?  On the standard M4 sight I get the post centered, but there's no point of reference for "centered" other than just eyeballing it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Huh, that makes sense, but I see it as a limitation, not a problem.  The circle on circle makes sure I have the sights properly aligned - whether or not the post is in the center of the circle seems to be irrelevant, no?  On the standard M4 sight I get the post centered, but there's no point of reference for "centered" other than just eyeballing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not using the top of the front post as your aiming point centered in the rear peep means you would have no way to adjust your elevation and zero the sights.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not using the top of the front post as your aiming point centered in the rear peep means you would have no way to adjust your elevation and zero the sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By keeping the sights aligned and adjusting the height of the post, your point of aim shifts up or down as the post moves up or down.  Voila, sight zeroed.  And of course you can center the post in the rear peep instead of the using the hood as a sight alignment tool if you want to, it just means purposefully not aligning the rear peep and the front hood.

I agree they're more properly used with a drum-style rear and fixed front, but it's not like the Troy ones don't work as advertised.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

By keeping the sights aligned and adjusting the height of the post, your point of aim shifts up or down as the post moves up or down.  Voila, sight zeroed.  And of course you can center the post in the rear peep instead of the using the hood as a sight alignment tool if you want to, it just means purposefully not aligning the rear peep and the front hood.

I agree they're more properly used with a drum-style rear and fixed front, but it's not like the Troy ones don't work as advertised.
View Quote

But then the target isn't centered in the aligned circles. Either way, it leads to eye confusion for no tangible benefit IME.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
News flash:

Using the small peep on an AR or HK style drum suppresses parralax error meaning that an exact center alignment is not as an important consideration in your sight picture.

Ergo the ring in ring HK style sights are but a personal preference. Since a small aperture by its nature reduces alignment error, merely placing your front sight in the rough center of your visual field results in excellent alignment without the need for the hk ring.

It looks nice, but is yet another myth when we should be ignoring front and rear alignment altogether and instead concentrate on perfect front sight and target alignment instead.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top