Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2016 5:09:21 PM EDT
I just picked up a $450 PSA build kit and an Anderson lower locally for $45. I'm thinking about an approptiate optic for this cheap AR. I already have a dedicated home defense AR with a red dot. This AR will mostly be for plinking on the range 50-200 yards max and kind of a keep it simple beater.

3x Prism

1-6x Scope

I'm leaning towards the prism. It seems that design would be more durable and simple. I'm not sure about how forgiving the eye relief or eye box is though. Recommendations?

I also have astigmatism which affects me when using red dots, I'm not sure what the effect would be with either of those.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used a couple of low power optics but not the 3X prism but I have looked at them in the store.  I have been wanting to try the 1-6 low power variable scope so I bought a Vortex Strike Eagle on sale.  I used a Vortex CM-202 mount which puts the reticle at lower 1/3 co-witness so this scope/mount works with fixed front iron sights.  

I've shot this scope out to 300 yards and so far I like the 1-6.  The 1-6 SE has about as much bulk as some 3-9 optics but the SE works pretty good in CQB.  Not quite as fast as a red dot but still usable.  The 1-6 optics are not precision scopes but for shooting steel plate and humanoid targets it does pretty good.  I had no trouble hitting a 6" round steel target every time at 200 yards with 55 grain FMJ reloads.

I think the 1-6 scope is more versatile than a 3X prism but might not be quite as rugged.  I bought the SE over the PA 1-6 because I have been satisfied with other Vortex products and I like Vortex warranty.

I'm still using a red dot on my CQB AR-15 but I wanted to try a 1-6 because my eyesight is not as good as it used to be.  I like the etched reticle on the SE and really only use the illumination at night or in very shaded low light  areas.  The SE has enough magnification to identify most targets out to several hundred yards and might be lacking in a straight 3X prism.  I like the extra magnification so I know for sure I'm shooting at a coyote and not a neighbors dog.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just picked up a $450 PSA build kit and an Anderson lower locally for $45. I'm thinking about an approptiate optic for this cheap AR. I already have a dedicated home defense AR with a red dot. This AR will mostly be for plinking on the range 50-200 yards max and kind of a keep it simple beater.

3x Prism

1-6x Scope

I'm leaning towards the prism. It seems that design would be more durable and simple. I'm not sure about how forgiving the eye relief or eye box is though. Recommendations?

I also have astigmatism which affects me when using red dots, I'm not sure what the effect would be with either of those.
View Quote

I think the 3x would be the winner there, I believe its a bit cheaper and you don't have to buy a mount separate. Plus you call it a beater gun (dunno if that means beaten up treatment too) and those have been tested to be a bit more durable than what I would expect the 1-6 to be.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/product/null/p-223-3x32-matte-bdc-carbine.htm

i got this one,  I like it alot.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/product/null/p-223-3x32-matte-bdc-carbine.htm

i got this one,  I like it alot.
View Quote

Came here to post this. I am a big fan of the Nikon P 223 3x scope. For the money you will be very hard pressed to get better glass for your stated purpose than the P223. Here is a reponse from another similar thread so I don' have to retype it.

My experience is with the Nikon P 223 scope. For the money they are an excellent scope. They have very clear glass for a $150 (Amazon) price tag. The fixed 3 power I use on a rifle with a Black Hole Weaponry barrel in a Noveske upper. This combination is very easy to hit targets with to any reasonable distance for the 5.56 cartridge.

The scope has zero resettable turrets.
Nice bright glass.
Great price.
Mine has "shot the square" 3 different times with rock solid repeatability every time.
Am I going to be shooting head shots at 600yds with this set up? Well.....uh no. But I can shoot this gun very well since I have a lot of trigger time with it. You will not be underglassed with this scope for most any general use you will likely need or want to put the gun to.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I hated the 3x prism. It's the worst of both worlds. Too much magnification indoors and not enough at distance. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. My PA 1-6 is amazing. You couldn't pay me to trade it back for the 3x prism.  The reticle is second to none. It's amazing at 1x and at 6x, for budget glass, works great. The 1-6 is replacing all of my red dots except for the one on my 10.5 AR
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#6]
love my PA 1-6, if all you plan is 300 yards the ACSS 1-6 is a waist of a good reticle
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
love my PA 1-6, if all you plan is 300 yards the ACSS 1-6 is a waist of a good reticle
View Quote

Disagree. It's awesome at 1x too. :)
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Alright, you guys have me leaning towards the primary arms 1-6x. I have used PA, vortex, and nikon optics and have had great experiences with all of them for the money. I like the versatility of the 1-6x and I like the reticle on the PA slightly better than the vortex.

How clear is the PA 1-6x in low light?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#9]
it doesn't gather light imo, but its no worse than a bare eye .
It works well at night , however the illumination washes on bright days if that matters to you.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not talking magnification, I mean you wont use 80% of the reticle .........the ACSS is only reason to get a PA 1-6.

it doesn't gather light
it is heavy
it is long
it doesn't have the best ER or box, especially on 6x

but that reticle makes it all that worth it, if you only shoot out to 300 you only might use the top of the tree...... none of the wind holds
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

not talking magnification, I mean you wont use 80% of the reticle .........the ACSS is only reason to get a PA 1-6.

it doesn't gather light
it is heavy
it is long

but that reticle makes it all that worth it, if you only shoot out to 300 you only might use the top of the tree...... none of the wind holds
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it doesn't gather light
it is heavy
it is long

What optic would you recommend?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it doesn't gather light
it is heavy
it is long

Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4......light, short, a mile of eye relief , light gathering is good, illumination on the green firedot is nuclear and on the last two brightness settings will bloom indoors and overcast days....but you could see it looking into the sun
50 yard zero is poa/poi out to 225 just like a red dot.
for closer in quick shooting, If you run it with a front lens cover shut, both eyes, it mitigates the .5 of magnification issue and acts like any of the alleged true 1x scopes ....it even removes a large percentage of the tube effect because the shut cap blacks out the the entire picture so there is nothing for your eye to reference telling your brain your looking down a tube  
n
not trying to tell you not to go with the PA I just am being honest I have a few 1000 out of one and shoot it out 700 yards once every couple months .....it will range and get rounds on target as fast as any scope out there ......but the magic is in the reticle not the scope if that makes since
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4......light, short, a mile of eye relief , light gathering is good, illumination on the green firedot is nuclear and on the last two brightness settings will bloom indoors and overcast days....but you could see it looking into the sun
for closer in quick shooting, If you run it with a front lens cover shut, both eyes, it mitigates the .5 of magnification issue and acts like any of the alleged true 1x scopes ....it even removes a large percentage of the tube effect because the shut cap blacks out the the entire picture so there is nothing for your eye to reference telling your brain your looking down a tube  
n
not trying to tell you not to go with the PA I just am being honest I have a few 1000 out of one and shoot it out 700 yards once every couple months .....it will range and get rounds on target as fast as any scope out there ......but the magic is in the reticle not the scope if that makes since
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it doesn't gather light
it is heavy
it is long

n

He says he will be shooting 50-200. No other 1-6 is beating the ACSS up close IMO.  And who wants to use the front cover to compensate for the extra .5 magnification?

OP get an Aero ultra light mount to save weight. It's not that heavy. Besides, you doing 20 mike marches with it? ;)

OP I'd check the YouTube vids to help make up your mind.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:31:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Primary Arms 1-6X

Put it on 1X for close up work and 6X for range work. No goofy flip magnifier and red dot. It also works with my astigmatism.

My eotech money bought a couple of Primary Arms 1-6X scopes for my ARs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Alright I'm sold. 1-6x ACSS. Even though the range I shoot at only goes to 200 yards it will be nice to have the capability to go farther. The leupold is nice but I didn't want to spend that much on an optic for a $500 AR.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He says he will be shooting 50-200. No other 1-6 is beating the ACSS up close IMO.
View Quote

no other 1-6.......lol, yeah you better listen to this guy.

the ACSS is all about ranging and distance shots that happens to be made to be workable at closer range and on a sunny day forget speed up close because the wash.....fact  ... its all good to each there own but your opinion about ACSS and close range shooting.......well you should broaden your experience before you develop a wide reaching statement like that

as far as "Good glass" on a beater gun......its not a beater gun and a gun that is subject to beating better get the better tougher optic.....

the PA will do the job for you.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a 5X and the 1-8 versions. On the 5X, if you use a back up rear sight, you will have to put your nose almost on the charging handle to get a good view in the scope. The eye relief on the 1-8 is great.
I think the 1-6 is the better option. Just don't forget to figure in mount prices in your decision.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top