Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2016 7:03:00 PM EDT
Just saw that AIM has a good deal on the MRO and I'm tempted.

Now that they've been out for a good while - what's the consensus? I know lots showed up on the EE just after release and that fact made me put off purchasing.

What's the good? What's the not so good?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Now that they've been out for a good while - what's the consensus? I know lots showed up on the EE just after release and that fact made me put off purchasing.

View Quote

Do a search...theres a huge thread on it already.  Most on this site like it a lot
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the MRO better than the Aimpoint micro.
Ive got 3 MRO's now, no problems from any of them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Find somewhere with a good return policy and look through it in person. I bought it and a T2, kept the T2.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
If T2's weren't so much money, I'd think the MRO would struggle. That being said, I really enjoyed the MRO I owned. Great FoV, lightweight, plenty bright, good aftermarket mount support already. There is a slight amount of magnification, it's not really a big deal unless you expect perfection. I had no weird glare that some early models reportedly had.

I wouldn't be surprised if I picked up another one in the future.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Primary Arms has the MRO with ADM mount in your choice of height for $493 as their regular price. That's a better deal if you plan on swapping the factory mount for a QD mount.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Following a link from here, I recently got an MRO at a price I couldn't pass up.  https://www.armsunlimited.com/Trijicon-MRO-2-MOA-Mini-Rifle-Optic-Red-Dot-Sight-p/2200005.htm
Must have been a limited time sale though, as the price there is now >$100 higher.  Anyway, I'm curious...is it "normal" for the MRO to come with no retail packaging?  there was just a small zipper bag of Trijicon literature, manual, sticker, and the naked optic was in the cardboard shipping box with some crumpled packing paper for padding.  The full co-witness mount was in retail packaging.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do a search...theres a huge thread on it already.  Most on this site like it a lot
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do. I like it enough I'll buy one before I buy another Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Tried an MRO, didn't encounter any of the glare/magnification/etc issues reported by others. Loved the light weight & wide FOV through the optic.
I now have MRO's on all my AR's, the wife's AR's and the son's AR. They love them. Everyone who's tried one of mine has been impressed to the point that three of them bought MRO's for their AR's.
To date, not a single complaint or problem of any kind from anyone I know.
IMHO the MRO is currently the 'best buy' of RDS'.

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I really REALLY wanted to like it but the magnification/distortion/fish-eye/whatever was just too bad.  I thought it was one of those things that you only noticed if you were looking for it but after shooting for a while my eyes would be really strained and I would have blurry vision for a few seconds when I would stop looking through the optic after a while.

I love the size, bell shape, FOV,  windage and elevation adjustments, and all the design characteristics, I just wish the glass was better.  I wasn't a huge fan of the T1 due to the small viewing area and blue tint, the 30mm Aimpoints didn't have this problem and I hoped the MRO would fit between the full-size and micro aim points.  Comparing the MRO to the T2 is was no contest, the T2 is like looking through air.  I wish I could get the Aimpoint glass in the MRO body.

Something else interesting. The dot on the Aimpoint is much smaller than the MRO even though they are both supposed to be 2moa. My 3.25moa RMR and the MRO seem to have identically sized dots.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Following a link from here, I recently got an MRO at a price I couldn't pass up.  https://www.armsunlimited.com/Trijicon-MRO-2-MOA-Mini-Rifle-Optic-Red-Dot-Sight-p/2200005.htm
Must have been a limited time sale though, as the price there is now >$100 higher.  Anyway, I'm curious...is it "normal" for the MRO to come with no retail packaging?  there was just a small zipper bag of Trijicon literature, manual, sticker, and the naked optic was in the cardboard shipping box with some crumpled packing paper for padding.  The full co-witness mount was in retail packaging.
View Quote

The one I ordered from Optics Planet came in the Trijicon hard case.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Did a search, and apparently I'm not alone.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/696178__ARCHIVED_THREAD____New_Trijicon_MRO_came_without_case__botach_com.html&page=1

Like I said, the price (with mount) was too good to pass up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did a search, and apparently I'm not alone.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/696178__ARCHIVED_THREAD____New_Trijicon_MRO_came_without_case__botach_com.html&page=1

Like I said, the price (with mount) was too good to pass up.
View Quote

Mine was the same.  I was a little pissed but I got over it.  The MRO has been great, so glad I sent back my eotech and got it.

To the OP: If you're around Tacoma and want to get some range time with the MRO feel free to hit me up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got the mro with short mount in from amazon this morning.  Looks great atop my marlin 1895.  Seems dot is on par with what my aimpoint pro looks like.  Im happy.  Paid 483 with mount to my door
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#14]
For the money the MRO seems to be a damn good optic.  I still miss my EoTech, especially the reticle, but I digress.  I just put a good 1,500 rounds through my rifle over the last week.  The MRO was fast, accurate, and took a good beating.  I lost count of how many times I bounced it off of concrete and block.  Zero stayed on point the whole time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Optics Planet price matches as well, I paid under $400 for my MRO from them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Own Eotech, Aimpoint, and MRO.

I like the concept of Eotech the best - they just lack good execution.

Aimpoints are great and flawless.  The T2 is expensive.

MRO is my choice now.  Have 2 and will be getting a third soon.  No issues at all so far.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Tried one, magnification was causing double vision of the target with both eyes open. Only when put to the perfect distance from my eye(very close) did the double vision issue disappear.   It's similar to having eye box issues with a scope.  No reason to deal with that in a rds imho.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:26:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Tried one out on my MPX, and fell in love. I always struggled with the aimpoint Micro line because of the small tube, and the MRO is better in that regard. I can tell a very small amount of distortion/magnification looking through it sometimes, but it hasn't been an issue for me.

Liked it so much I swapped it over to my ar, and am about to pick up another one to put back on the MPX.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:57:11 AM EDT
[#20]
After hearing all the rumors I had to try one.  Shot it back to back against my T1 and it works quite well.  I ran both out on the end of the upper.

Same glare issues if any for both.

Just a tiny bit more blue tint than the Aimpoint.

I see no magnification/distortions with my eyes in either optic when focused on a target

There  is a slight double image with both but I only see it out at 100yrds or more. Again with my eyes and I saw this in the T1 before.  Nothing in close.

What I do notice a more pronounced "magnifying effect"/ distortion at the edge of the lens with the MRO as it  transitions to the next target.  It goes away as that target moves into the center of the sight.  I then looked for it and saw it in the T1 too.  I don't think I really noticed it before but it's there at the edge with the Aimpoint too.  Again this is with my eyes....  I guess this could be more produced on the MRO because of the larger front lens.... ??  

But overall it works very well and especially for the price.  I would also suggest looking through one on a rifle before you buy it if you can

T
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Weirdest part to me is how Trijicon ended up with 2 optics in a row, VCOG and MRO,  that folks love and folks hate with little middle ground in between.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
After hearing all the rumors I had to try one.  Shot it back to back against my T1 and it works quite well. I ran both out on the end of the upper.

I see no magnification/distortions with my eyes in either optic when focused on a target

There  is a slight double image with both but I only see it out at 100yrds or more. Again with my eyes and I saw this in the T1 before.  Nothing in close.

What I do notice a more pronounced "magnifying effect"/ distortion at the edge of the lens with the MRO as it  transitions to the next target.  It goes away as that target moves into the center of the sight.  I then looked for it and saw it in the T1 too.  I don't think I really noticed it before but it's there at the edge with the Aimpoint too.  Again this is with my eyes....  I guess this could be more produced on the MRO because of the larger front lens.... ??  

But overall it works very well and especially for the price.  I would also suggest looking through one on a rifle before you buy it if you can

T
View Quote

Trying mounting the MRO as far back as your BUIS will allow then test again. I discovered that for me, having the MRO as far back as possible made a big difference.

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Trying mounting the MRO as far back as your BUIS will allow then test again. I discovered that for me, having the MRO as far back as possible made a big difference.

Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After hearing all the rumors I had to try one.  Shot it back to back against my T1 and it works quite well. I ran both out on the end of the upper.

T

Tomac

Thanks.  I had read this somewhere else too.  I will try it.  I just wanted to test it with the T1 in the same position....kinda apples and apples.

T
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Putting aside issues like color, magnification, etc. which seem to be somewhat personal preference, what's the consensus on reliability? Would people trust the MRO the same as an Aimpoint, or have their been reported failures? It's priced halfway between a used Aimpoint M2 and a new T1, which makes it somewhat appealing if it's equally reliable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Putting aside issues like color, magnification, etc. which seem to be somewhat personal preference, what's the consensus on reliability? Would people trust the MRO the same as an Aimpoint, or have their been reported failures? It's priced halfway between a used Aimpoint M2 and a new T1, which makes it somewhat appealing if it's equally reliable.
View Quote

Based upon my own personal experience w/them, Trijicon's reputation and torture-test videos like dropping an MRO-equipped rifle directly on the MRO several times from chest height onto packed dirt/gravel w/o damage or loss of zero, yes.
To date I am unaware of any reason to *not* trust the MRO w/my life (YMMV).

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I took advantage of this deal as well. My first MRO I bought from Botach came with case and all the trappings. This one from Arms unlimited, if you read the fine print, only came with bulk packaging, thats why no box. Just a loose optic with the literature packet. That being said, I love the MRO, I much prefer it over Aimpoints or EOTechs, both of which I have owned in the past. One of my MROs is mounted on my SOCOM 16 M1A. No loss of zero under that recoil, even when the mount and optic heated up. MRO is good to go! (heh, I'm a poet!)
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I took advantage of this deal as well. My first MRO I bought from Botach came with case and all the trappings. This one from Arms unlimited, if you read the fine print, only came with bulk packaging, thats why no box. Just a loose optic with the literature packet. That being said, I love the MRO, I much prefer it over Aimpoints or EOTechs, both of which I have owned in the past. One of my MROs is mounted on my SOCOM 16 M1A. No loss of zero under that recoil, even when the mount and optic heated up. MRO is good to go! (heh, I'm a poet!)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. I've ordered 3 MRO's from AU and all came w/the plastic case (of course, that was some months ago).
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Interesting. I've ordered 3 MRO's from AU and all came w/the plastic case (of course, that was some months ago).
Tomac
View Quote

It was a very recent ad with a link in the EE. An MRO new for $373. Can't beat that with a stick!
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the 30mm glass in the front of the MRO. Like the size and weight. I just plain old like it....

However I'm over the single dot. It's just not the best for fast CQB work.   Some people find the circle dot to busy. I'd suggest that maybe that's just looking through it. I think actually practicing with it and maybe doing some timed stress drills would make you not fixate on how distracting you think it is. Or maybe not. Just a thought. Everyone is different.

If Aimpoimt or Trijicon did a T2 or MRO with a circle dot I'd be all over it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top