Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2016 6:55:14 PM EDT
I just bought my first AR and wanted to mount a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot I got for my Ruger 10/22 on it until I can afford something better. To easily swap between them I thought of getting a fairly inexpensive QD mount and settled on UTG as the best available brand on Amazon. I got the one with a 0.59" hight and while the mount seems well made (for $20 at least) the dot is in the middle of my AR's MBUS front sight post! Thinking I got the wrong mount height I then got another riser with a 0.83" height and this one puts the dot at the bottom of my FSP?! What is up? Do I just need to adjust the red dot's zero? What is the right height for co-witnessing with MBUS? I am very confused.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]

This is what I used for a lower 1/3 cowitness with my trs-25. Sounds as if you need to line the dot up with your sights initially, and then head to the range to finish sight in. I had no issues with that set up. For what it is, (a $10 mount) it is surprisingly decent.

Eta: Noticed the # on the package in your link is not the same as on mine, and reread op. You need a 1.00" riser and all will be good.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
UTG's "medium" riser is .83" and produces an absolute cowitness with the TRS-25 and similar red dots.  UTG's "high" riser is 1.00" and gives a lower 1/3 cowitness.

Note:  These risers work, but the threads are made of soft metal and can easily strip out.  They will also stretch making it difficult to maintain consistent torque.  They work for occasional removal and replacement but not for frequent removal or swapping with other optics or between weapons.  If you plan to do much of that you need mounts with hardened steel crossbolts and hardened steel threaded inserts in the aluminum.

If you are going to move the optic frequently, you want the Alamo Four Star mount.  They make two  heights.  Just  for TRS-25 and other similar red dots.  You want the high version for lower 1/3, Model DLOC TRS25.  Not cheap at about $75-$80 but it will hold up to repeated removal and reinstallation.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Tigerwelder: Is this what I need?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Or this?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want lower 1/3 cowitness you want the 1" high.

If you want absolute, get the .83" medium.

I have both. Do you want your dot sitting right on the top of your front sight  and in the middle of your field of view or do you want to see more of your field of view above the front sight?

With a folding front sight that is normally down the .83" absolute height is popular.  If your front sight is fixed most people want the lower 1/3.  That is the 1" mount.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I second the recommendation of the Alamo Four Star mount. I use the absolute co-witness height one and it is VERY sturdy on my AR. I had some doubts on spending $80 on a mount for a $65 optic, but it can also he used with similar sized optics for upgrading purposes down the round. Great mount, solid construction.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#7]
So I got a good deal on a TRS with the riser mount included straight from Bushnell. Problem is with Magpul back-ups I can't see the front sight, or at least the very tip is maybe protruding. It's for a 22 AR so I'm just going to take the mbus off and only use the red dot, but kind of a letdown. Wouldn't they test that out before packaging that mount with the optic?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I got a good deal on a TRS with the riser mount included straight from Bushnell. Problem is with Magpul back-ups I can't see the front sight, or at least the very tip is maybe protruding. It's for a 22 AR so I'm just going to take the mbus off and only use the red dot, but kind of a letdown. Wouldn't they test that out before packaging that mount with the optic?
View Quote

The problem is probably that you got one of the TRS with the emitter at the 6 O'Clock position.  When Bushnell first came out with the hi-rise, the emitter was in the 4 to 5 O'Clock position, then for some reason they started making the red dot with the emitter at 6 O'Clock, which blocks the front sight.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just bought my first AR and wanted to mount a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot I got for my Ruger 10/22 on it until I can afford something better. To easily swap between them I thought of getting a fairly inexpensive QD mount and settled on UTG as the best available brand on Amazon. I got the one with a 0.59" hight and while the mount seems well made (for $20 at least) the dot is in the middle of my AR's MBUS front sight post! Thinking I got the wrong mount height I then got another riser with a 0.83" height and this one puts the dot at the bottom of my FSP?! What is up? Do I just need to adjust the red dot's zero? What is the right height for co-witnessing with MBUS? I am very confused.
View Quote

Did you zero the red dot at all?  When you zero it, the dot should basically sit on the front sight tip or very close to it.  It isn't automatically going to be in the proper position just because you installed a riser.  You will also have to rezero when switching between the AR and the 10/22, as both rifles will most likely shoot differently.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did you zero the red dot at all?  When you zero it, the dot should basically sit on the front sight tip or very close to it.  It isn't automatically going to be in the proper position just because you installed a riser.  You will also have to rezero when switching between the AR and the 10/22, as both rifles will most likely shoot differently.
View Quote

OK, back from the range. Zeroed the MBUS and now the top of the FSP sits right behind my dot which I previously zeroed on the 10/22 to the same range as I did the AR yesterday. Seems to keep the right height regardless which riser I use. Since I didn't bring the TRS to the range, I don't know if its zeroed or not. Maybe next weekend. Right now I have the 0.59" riser on it.

Follow up question: Do you recommend the Alamo mount generally or only as a cheapy sight mount? Do you think there is another which is better/more durable? Is it good enough to accompany a (pic-mounted) Aimpoint or will I want something else then?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh, I forgot to mention. I want absolute co-witness dot/irons. My irons are folding MBUS front and rear. Dot is to be primary aiming method.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#12]
PPS: Anyone have experience with this Vortex QD mount? Solid reviews. 0.6" height.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oh, I forgot to mention. I want absolute co-witness dot/irons. My irons are folding MBUS front and rear. Dot is to be primary aiming method.
View Quote

I have 2 TRS-25's on 2 rifles with Magpul back ups.  I got the UTG .83" riser for both and they have absolute cowitness.  Pop up the sights with the red dot on and the dot is sitting right on the front post of the sight.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:n
Tigerwelder: Is this what I need?
View Quote

If you want to use UTG, the 1.00" will give you lower 1/3 cowitness.
I believe that the 0.083" riser will give you absolute cowitness.

As far as UTG vs. Alamo? I hear great things about Alamo. I have not used them myself. I used UTG for about 2 years, no issues. Alot of budget minded guys run them. What is your application? Range toy? Hard use?

I have switched to Aimpoint/ADM mounts and I am happy. Also have a few PA mrds in ADM mounts. Much more solid. Imo, sell the trs-25, get a PA rds. The available mounts are much wider. If not an option, run the UTG and save some coin.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As far as UTG vs. Alamo? I hear great things about Alamo. I have not used them myself. I used UTG for about 2 years, no issues. Alot of budget minded guys run them. What is your application? Range toy? Hard use?

I have switched to Aimpoint/ADM mounts and I am happy. Also have a few PA mrds in ADM mounts. Much more solid. Imo, sell the trs-25, get a PA rds. The available mounts are much wider. If not an option, run the UTG and save some coin.
Good luck.
View Quote

I'm putting the TRS on my AR as a stop-gap until I can afford an aimpoint. Got the TRS for my 10/22 to plink around with. I figure if I get the right mount I wouldn't have to buy another when I get around to affording the aimpoint, that's all.

My use is as a range toy which could stand up to hard use if needed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm putting the TRS on my AR as a stop-gap until I can afford an aimpoint. Got the TRS for my 10/22 to plink around with. I figure if I get the right mount I wouldn't have to buy another when I get around to affording the aimpoint, that's all.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

If thats the case then I, personally,  would run the UTG  for now and save for a higher quality optic. If you are eyeing a T- 1/T-2 or H1, I would get an industry mount for the Aimpoint removable base setup. Again, just my opinion and personal preference. Good luck OP.

I see that Alamo has mounts that work for the Trs-25. However,  you will not be able to run an Aimpoint with them in the removed base configuration. That is to say, you will have to use the picitinny mount to use that base for both.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If thats the case then I, personally,  would run the UTG  for now and save for a higher quality optic. If you are eyeing a T- 1/T-2 or H1, I would get an industry mount for the Aimpoint removable base setup. Again, just my opinion and personal preference. Good luck OP.

I see that Alamo has mounts that work for the Trs-25. However,  you will not be able to run an Aimpoint with them in the removed base configuration. That is to say, you will have to use the picitinny mount to use that base for both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

Given the limited duration of your use of the TRS-25, it hardly justifies the cost of the Alamo mount.  It is superb but probably overkill if you do not intend to use a Picatinny based optic in the future.  Just get the .083" UTG "Medium".  That will give you absolute cowitness.  Just don't plan to move it around a lot, though.  Mount it and leave it there until you get your Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just don't plan to move it around a lot, though.  Mount it and leave it there until you get your Aimpoint.
View Quote

My intent.

Why should I choose the industry mount for the Aimpoint vs. a pic-mounted Aimpoint? It stays on better I guess?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#19]
[b]Quoted:[

My intent.

Why should I choose the industry mount for the Aimpoint vs. a pic-mounted Aimpoint? It stays on better I guess?
View All Quotes
[b]Quoted:[
Quoted:
Just don't plan to move it around a lot, though.  Mount it and leave it there until you get your Aimpoint.

My intent.

Not saying you SHOULD.  Just my opinion. You limit yourself on the number of mounts available. Just dont want to see you shell out a hundo $$ for a pic mount and once you get your Aimpoint, want to run a removable base mount, thus another mount, and more cash.
As far as is it stronger? Dunno, just like the 4 screws and base interchangeability myself.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#20]
The new UTG Super Slim riser is much nicer than their older offerings and secures much better to the rail. That's what I'd go with.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The new UTG Super Slim riser is much nicer than their older offerings and secures much better to the rail. That's what I'd go with.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81UB9q35RiL._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

Definite improvement.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#22]
UTG has come a long way in the past few years.  Their slimline handguards for instance are well built, lightweight and easy on the wallet.  

I've got 3 of their mid height risers for absolute co-witness on some ARs with Primary Arms, Holosun, and Bushnell TRS on them and they all work fine.  These have the enlongated thumbwheel on them so on and off is really easy.  Not as fast as a QD though.

I've got one of their low QD mounts on my Mossberg Patrol .308 with a TRS-25 riding on it, and for that same rifle I have a Weaver V3 scope mounted on a set of their QD rings.  The rail is just marked with which one goes where so they go back in the same spot everytime.  

I've been pretty happy with their products and I dont' baby my stuff.  The only time a gun goes into a bag or case is if I'm going to a place to shoot competition where they require it to be so.  My oldest PA and UTG mount have been removed and reinstalled untold number of times with no ill effects.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top