Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2016 1:28:32 AM EDT
Interested in the tru dot, but tempted to wait for elcan hco or the Hartman mh1.  How have the tru dots been holding up?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#1]
this is sort of timely for me. also interested.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
No long term reviews?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I owned several Mepro RDS' before I switched to the Trijicon MRO. For the couple of years that I owned them, the only problems I experienced were:
1) Reticle flickering during recoil, because I didn't have the battery cap fully tightened.
2) Control knob occasionally rotating to the 'off' position from rubbing against my gear during transitions.
HTH...

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#4]

I am a fairly new owner of one.  The only thing I do not like is the maximum brightness of the dot is less than expected.  My Strikefire II is about 50% brighter and what I was expecting.  BTW:  The Meprolite co-witnesses perfectly with my UTG low profile BUIS.  Zero the BUIS and then adjust the red dot to just barely sit on top of the front post.  Or vice-versa would probably work also.  

My dot actually appears as three tiny dots together and not a perfect circular but I think that is due to an astigmatism in my eyes and not the fault of the scope.  Same thing happens with the Strikefire and a friend say the dot looks fine to him.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 3 of them and never had any problems with any of them. Battery lasts about a year depending on the battery brand. The max dot brightness is fine even on very bright days during summer. The flickering dot during recoil means low battery.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I ran one pretty hard for a while. Bought it when they were first imported to the US. I had zero issues.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 3 of them and have had one of them for close to 2 years. This one is on a rifle that I love to shoot. It probably has 3000-4000 rounds on it.

No complaints. I have seen the complaints about reticle brightness but not sure what people expect. In bright sun the reticle is plenty visible on high. This is the case for all 3 units.

One of my units I bought used and has the metal hood. The other 2 have the plastic hood.

The only negative I can say is the mount is not removable so you can't run an aftermarket mount like LaRue.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had one going on a year now.

My impressions thus far..

Pros:
Love the EoTech like viewing window, switched to the RDS when they pooped in their hat last year.
Window is crystal clear with little to no noticeable tinting.
AA battery is easy to change if needed, still haven't had the need though.
Dot seems smaller than the Aim Point 2 moa dot, Meprolight says theirs is 1.8 moa I believe.
Mount works fine though I haven't removed it since mounting it so I don't know how well it returns to zero.
Motion sensor has worked flawless

Cons:
Mount studs stick too far out and catch on gear, not bad but enough to irritate.
The RDS is slightly on the heavy side compared micros or even a PRO in an Larue mount. "feel wise" I've never weighed them side by side.
Feels like there should be one more brightness setting on the high side.    

I wont be getting rid of my Aimpoints but I don't see the RDS going anywhere either, both are brick house solid.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top