Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2016 8:40:41 PM EDT
I'm thinking of putting some kind of 1 to 4x or 1 to 6x optic on my 20 inch AR.  I've been looking at the Burris PEPR 30mm mount.  Not going to spend the money for LaRue.  What is the best bang for buck under $100?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Something like this

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/103907/vortex-optics-30mm-tactical-picatinny-style-ring-matte
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Aero.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
BOBRO
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#4]
nm miss read the title. Areo mount is what I am using.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#6]
For ME, and bang for the buck, not necessarily favorites, just mounts I've used or spent a lot of time with:

Budget Fixed
Primary Arms Basic Mount

Favorite Bang for the Buck
Aero - Seriously great mount, Granite Ridge still has them on sale

Budget QD
Burris PEPR

Bang for the Buck QD
American Defense Scount Mount
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bobro for QD

Aero ultralight for fixed.

I love the light weight of the Aero. It's about 1/4lb lighter than QD mount.
View Quote

Bobro can rock back and forth even when tight. Go with larue. Zero issues
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For ME, and bang for the buck, not necessarily favorites, just mounts I've used or spent a lot of time with:

Budget Fixed
Primary Arms Basic Mount

Budget QD
Burris PEPR

Bang for the Buck QD
View Quote

Thanks for the options.  What do you think of aero extended vs. Spr?  Also, what kind of cowitness do you get with the irons?  I'm looking for lower 1/3.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for the options.  What do you think of aero extended vs. Spr?  Also, what kind of cowitness do you get with the irons?  I'm looking for lower 1/3.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Budget Fixed
Primary Arms Basic Mount

Budget QD
Burris PEPR

Bang for the Buck QD

Well there are three lengths of the Aero mount; standard, extended, and SPR. Honestly it depends on the eye relief of your optic and whether or not you want nose to charging handle or a longer length of pull. The middle option (extended) has worked well for me.

As far as co-witness, sorry, but even though scopes may say 1-4/6x the 1x doesn't allow for co-witnessing. You can only co-witness Red Dot Sights.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well there are three lengths of the Aero mount; standard, extended, and SPR. Honestly it depends on the eye relief of your optic and whether or not you want nose to charging handle or a longer length of pull. The middle option (extended) has worked well for me.

As far as co-witness, sorry, but even though scopes may say 1-4/6x the 1x doesn't allow for co-witnessing. You can only co-witness Red Dot Sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Budget Fixed
Primary Arms Basic Mount

Budget QD
Burris PEPR

Bang for the Buck QD

I'm looking for close to nose to charging handle and most likely one of those scopes like a vortex strike eagle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Weaver SPR mount. Flippin' GREAT, and cheaper than most. Steel, slim, light weight but tough. CHEAP!!!!!  (about 80 bucks at PSA)

EDIT:   made in USA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bobro for QD

This is my experience. I use Larue and ADM now. I would also consider MI and GDI.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is my experience. I use Larue and ADM now. I would also consider MI and GDI.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bobro for QD

I have wanted to try the MI QD mounts as well.  They look to be well made and are decently priced.

I have mostly ADM QD mounts and Aero non QD mounts.  I think the Larue mounts are nice but they are so expensive compared to a ADM.  You can get new ADM Recon mount for around $145-$155 on sale often and you can buy a used one in the EE for around $125-$140.  The used Larue mounts in the EE go for $180.  I do not like the way the Bobro mounts look at all.  I have never tried one, they may be very nice for all I know.  If you don't need a QD mount, the Aero is the best option IMO.  Not even sure why I have QD mounts, I guess it's for the cool factor or just as a convenience.  I have never been in a situation where I needed to remove my scope in a hurry because it was life or death.  The Aero mounts are easy to remove and put back on with the little Torx wrench.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#17]
For the mounts, go with the standard or extended eye relief?    This is for a 3-9x.

I'm looking at a QD ADM or BoBro.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This, they can be had in the low $70 range.
View All Quotes

So cheap. Salad days, fellas.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

So cheap. Salad days, fellas.
View All Quotes
That applies to guns and ammo, not scope mounts.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#21]
If it doesn't have to be qd then check out the freedom reaper by dnz.  I like mine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#23]
The Leupold one piece mounts are around that price range.  I've gotten along well with mine.  They're fairly lightweight, too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Warne X-Skel: $110.00. A very sold and repeatable mount that has found favor among many Multigun shooters. Now, having said that, I have an Aero SPR mount inbound from Primary Arms that hit me in the pocket for less than $85.00 shipped.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I hate leaving a good optic on a rifle and transporting it in just a padded bag. So QD for me, and for QD it's LaRue every time. I keep an eye out on the EE and have gotten LT104 mounts for $110 - 140. Never more. You gotta be vigilante but you can get them. Last one I got a couple weeks ago was $130. Asking was $170. Also have a couple of ADM mounts I got right at $100. Good mounts but I prefer the LaRue.

For real high dollar optics on my LR rifles I like Spuhr. Very costly mounts, but the rifle rides in a custom hard case so they are well protected.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:27:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Leupold one piece mounts are around that price range.  I've gotten along well with mine.  They're fairly lightweight, too.
View Quote

That would be the Leupold Mark 2 IMS.  I recommend it for a fixed sight along with the Aero Precision.

The PEPR has fans and enemies.  It may or may not return to zero.  It is big and bulky.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't need QD mounts, so that will narrow it down.  I think I'm pretty much sold on the Aero at this point.  I just need to figure out whether I want extended or SPR.  Any good rules of thumb there without knowing the exact optic to be mounted?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Aero
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Aero unles you got Larue money.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Leupold or Aero.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't need QD mounts, so that will narrow it down.  I think I'm pretty much sold on the Aero at this point.  I just need to figure out whether I want extended or SPR.  Any good rules of thumb there without knowing the exact optic to be mounted?
View Quote

Here's my personal rule of thumb, which has worked okay so far:

If the eye relief is closer to 3", then I go with extended.  If the eye relief is closer to 4", then I go with SPR.  If the eye relief was right in the middle, I'd probably go with SPR.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#33]
A great AR scope mount that doesn't get a lot of attention is the Warne X-SKEL Mount.  I like the others mentioned, but I really like the Warne.  It's about $110, and I think it will last you a lifetime.  You can always upgrade a scope and use this mount.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Stick man, so what ur saying is all those qd mounts rtz better then 99.9% of  AR equipment, ammo, and shooters use.  Pretty sure it would take a precision bolt gun in a br rest to shoot the difference.  Most of these qd mounts are on rack grade to nice barreled ARs with 1-6/red dot optics shooting m855- to fgmm, some have handloads and larger mag scopes, but it seems all (except burris) will rtz better then the host weapon could shoot the difference.  Just some food for thought.  I didn't read the article but I'm sure it required a vise and fancy lasers to measure difference, which is pointless outside of interwoven forums and water cooler.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Check out the EE.  Just picked up a Badger unimount for around 40% of the retail price.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#38]
i also like the Warne skeletonized, amazon has them for $86 right now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bobro for QD

I had to use blue loctite where the rings fit together on the frame of my ADM to remove wobble.

Took me a long time to find it, or rather to identify the source.  It was a very small amount of movement but it was there.

Warne mounts are less expensive and by design they are less prone to this kind of issue.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I had to use blue loctite where the rings fit together on the frame of my ADM to remove wobble.

Took me a long time to find it, or rather to identify the source.  It was a very small amount of movement but it was there.

Warne mounts are less expensive and by design they are less prone to this kind of issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bobro for QD

Bottom ring screws were torqued first?

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can order Larue mounts without the QD option and save some cash.  It is $160 without the levers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of putting some kind of 1 to 4x or 1 to 6x optic on my 20 inch AR.  I've been looking at the Burris PEPR 30mm mount.  Not going to spend the money for LaRue.  What is the best bang for buck under $100?
View Quote

I picked up a Crossfire 2 from PA when they were throwing in the Burris PEPR. It is a very nice mount.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#44]
used adm from the EE.

You should look there.

Txl
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Honestly if I were you I would just get the Larue and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#46]
For me, anything less than LaRue or Geissele, I would just get a PA Deluxe mount. I've had one on my 6.8 hunting rifle for 2 years. Dropped it pretty good by accident and it held zero fine.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bobro for QD

Regardless, one should always use blue Loctite or similar thread locker on all scope ring screws.  Most now come from tgecfsctkry with semi-solid tan colored locker on the screw threads.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:51:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
For me, anything less than LaRue or Geissele, I would just get a PA Deluxe mount. I've had one on my 6.8 hunting rifle for 2 years. Dropped it pretty good by accident and it held zero fine.
View Quote

Lots of good one piece mounts in between those extremes.  I say that as a happy user of several Larue mounts, but also different ones, too, including ADM, Leupold, Warne, Weaver, Burris, and others.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top