AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2016 11:04:51 PM EDT
1x4 (can compromise with 1x6)
BDC
For 300blk subsonic
FFP
Not crazy ass expensive.

Help me out.

Stumbled upon Nikon Monarch3 which allows me to go to their website and readily dial in and print out new DOPE cards for different loads.  This is a MAJOR winner for me.  Yes, I realize it's still second focal plane but that quick ability puts that scope near the top for my needs.

What else ya got?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I would skip FFP altogether for such a low mag scope on a blackout.

It's not necessary and in my opinion, actually detrimental.

I just can't see ranging at 1,2, or 3 power.

The Monarch you mentioned is a nice scope that will provide a very good image.

FFP will just add to the cost for little to no gain.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#2]
for a 300 blackout shooting subs the reality is you better have alot of dope if your shooting past 100 yds . with a 225 grain hornady match sighted in dead on at 100 yds you will need 16 moa at 200 yds  . I have a leupold mk4 2.5 x 8 on my remington 700 in 300 blackout you could also hold about 4.5 mils with the reticle . for hunting with subs I have a c-more 2 moa dot sighted in at 100 yds on my 8.5 inch 300 blackout pistol , 100 yds would be my limit on shooting a deer and most of my kills have been at 50 yds or less Im about 3.5 inches high at 50 yds . I do have a primary arms 1x6 with the 300 blackout /7.62x39 reticle . it is on an ak and so far I have only shot it super-sonic and the bdc seems correct .
you do not need a ffp scope for a low power variable scope. If you really want the nikon then that is what you should get . I will point out I have a 1.5 x 6 weaver on my 50 beowulf and I am either on 1.5 power for close shots 50 yds or less or on 6x for longer shots I dont ever recall stopping in between .
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Like others have said skip the ffp scopes in that low of magnification. I use a Vortex Viper pst 1-4 on my 8" 300 blk currently. It has a moa dot reticle with exposed turrets, learn your dope and it's a breeze.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Primary Arms 1-6x calibrated for .300 Blackout:  http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-16x24-sfp-scope-with-patented-acss-300bo-762x39-reticle/p/pa1-6x24sfp-acss-300bo/

Agreed with others that FFP is not necessary or even really desirable for such a low power scope.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  

Leaning toward that Nikon monarch 3 as you can use their spot on software for different loads.  If I abandon 300blk to return to 5.56 that scope will still be useful.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The new Sig optics line has a 1-6 (could have been in a 1-4) in a 300 blackout reticle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The new Sig optics line has a 1-6 (could have been in a 1-4) in a 300 blackout reticle.
View Quote

$1,500 is crazy ass expensive man.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You didn't give us a budget to go off of.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP states-"not crazy ass expensive"

Sorry Mr. Buffet, I can't swing in the big leagues.

It is a cool lookin scope and I had hopes till I saw the price tag.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#10]
are you aware of strelok app ?  its a very good ballistic calculator .  I like the pro version just a heads up so you know your not tied to just the nikon spot on .
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
are you aware of strelok app ?  its a very good ballistic calculator .  I like the pro version just a heads up so you know your not tied to just the nikon spot on .
View Quote

Was not aware.  Thank you
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sig scopes are cool looking till you look through them... and realize they are Burris optical quality at over double the price.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, it may help you find some suitable options if you include scopes with a bdc for. 22lr. With subsonic loads, at effective range,  the trajectories of .22lr, and .300 BO are very similar.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sig scopes are cool looking till you look through them... and realize they are Burris optical quality at over double the price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MTAC is pretty fuckin' good, so not sure if serious..... (and XTRII is better)
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been looking at this scope for my 6.8 build.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#16]

That's one hell of a throw lever.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Length is important.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:44:07 AM EDT
[#18]

MTAC is pretty fuckin' good, so not sure if serious..... (and XTRII is better)
View Quote

I currently have a 1-5X and 5-25X XTR II for LE demo. Not blown away by the optical quality of either. Lots of CA, poor focus at edges, curvature of field on the 1-5X at low power. The Sig Tango 6 has even worse CA, also poor focus on edges. So yes, serious.

And sorry the quotes are too screwed up
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it has a huge database of hundreds of reticles from most scope manufacturers.  Get a second focal plane 1-4x type scope with exposed turrets in either MOA or MRAD with matching reticle, put in your subsonic muzzle velocity and bullet BC and a few other less important variables and it will show you the corresponding yardage for each elevation or windage mark (subtension) for that reticle.  It also has a sliding scale for different power settings.  At that power range, you'll only use it at 1x (or lowest) and 4x (or highest).  You are not likely to use intermediate power, and likely will only use the marks at full power.

A Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20mm with the illuminated SPR reticle might be a good choice.  Very compact and light scope. 9.5 ounces.  Not true 1x on the bottom, but is a nice little scope that tracks well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I actually have a MTAC scope on my 5.56 and REALLY like it.

That Leopold does look really good.  Just kinda too spendy.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top