Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

JM-1 is the heat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, thanks for the advice guys.  I think I'm going to give the Razor a shot to start off.  If it's not to my liking weight wise, I'll probably flip it and give something else a go.  

Any preferences on the Razor reticles?  I'm leaning heavily towards the VMR-2 MRAD or MOA.  I'd like to decide though, probably order as soon as my TA31RCO sells.  

JM-1 is the heat.

+1
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks great, enjoy your new optic!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks really nice
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#4]
What reticle did you go with?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What reticle did you go with?
View Quote

VMR-2 MOA.  I don't have any specific plans for much long range shooting, but I'd rather have the windage holds just in case.  It's also a plus that with M193 out of my 14.5" barrel, the drops on the reticle correspond pretty well to the ballistics for this specific rifle when it's zeroed at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice, I have the mil version and my drops are close too. You can get the vortex new flip cover and have a drop chart made that fits in the flip cap. There a hard plastic that almost unbreakable and they fit in tight so they can't fall out. Between that and the great reticle it makes for a very capable system of reaching out should you need to.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes.   The color was not a deep green color when it's turned up.  The color was more pale greenish.   If you were aiming at whiteish - greenish targets, I could see the firedot blending in.   Against black and dark targets, you can see it very clearly.

Did you use the battery Leupold supplied or your own?   I used my own.  Perhaps, their batteries were in the box too long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Yours is daylight bright? I could barely see mine at noon. My buddy's is the same way.
I called Leupold CS and they didn't know anything so I just sent it in to have them look at it.

Yes.   The color was not a deep green color when it's turned up.  The color was more pale greenish.   If you were aiming at whiteish - greenish targets, I could see the firedot blending in.   Against black and dark targets, you can see it very clearly.

Did you use the battery Leupold supplied or your own?   I used my own.  Perhaps, their batteries were in the box too long.

So, a little follow-up about this...
I ended up sending in my VX6 to Leupold to see what they say about the daylight illumination.  After taking a look at it, they determined that my optic was fine.  However, they then stated that if I wanted a daylight bright illuminated reticle, I would need to get it in Red instead of Green. Of course, I was surprised to hear about that option since you can't actually buy that configuration.  So, I then asked if that meant that they would just swap in the older MultiGun SPR reticle instead of using the FireDot BDC.  They said no and that they would just swap out the illumination to the brighter red, while retaining the FireDot BDC.
I told them to go ahead and do it.  Turnaround time is 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I ended up sending in my VX6 to Leupold to see what they say about the daylight illumination.  After taking a look at it, they determined that my optic was fine.  However, they then stated that if I wanted a daylight bright illuminated reticle, I would need to get it in Red instead of Green. Of course, I was surprised to hear about that option since you can't actually buy that configuration.  So, I then asked if that meant that they would just swap in the older MultiGun SPR reticle instead of using the FireDot BDC.  They said no and that they would just swap out the illumination to the brighter red, while retaining the FireDot BDC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted: Yours is daylight bright? I could barely see mine at noon. My buddy's is the same way.
I called Leupold CS and they didn't know anything so I just sent it in to have them look at it.

I looked at the red multigun in a store and it was not that bright.  I had them switch out batteries and it didn't improve anything.  I don't know if it had faulty illumination or if the choice of reticle plays a part.  Others have reported the red duplex firedot as being reddot bright.
I'm interested in the outcome of your vx6.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How much did that cost?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's weird. I have a Mark AR 1.5-4 and the green firedot on that is easily daylight bright. Nearly on par with my steiner military's illumination.

I dunno what's going on at leupold
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How much did that cost?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much did that cost?

No cost to me. So, a month from now, we'll see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Well now.. a pleasant surprise awaited me when I got home. Leupold returned my VX6 to me with the reticle now swapped to red!  I guess their 4 weeks turned out to be just 4 hours, which is definitely a nice surprise.

On first glance, it looks to be about the same brightness as before except the red does stand out more than the green. It's not as bright as the Razor or the Steiner P4xi but more doable than before.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]
It is odd that the Vx-6 is not as bright as the vx-r.  My vx-r is daylight bright and then some.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#14]
not even as bright my mar AR.
Whats up with that
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yours is daylight bright? I could barely see mine at noon. My buddy's is the same way.

It's been a great run.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Leupold Firedot BDC 1-6 is very nice.   True 1x.    Day light visible firedot.   Light.   and on sale at various places. like Euro-Optics

Yours is daylight bright? I could barely see mine at noon. My buddy's is the same way.

Quoted:
Noooooooooooo

It's been a great run.  

May I ask why you stopped?

You were my favorite youtube reviewer!
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Sure. The production costs, in terms of time involved and especially personnel involved, greatly outpaced the revenue coming from YouTube. It just didn't make any sense to do them anymore, given the long term outlook.
Thanks for watching, appreciate the note!
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It is odd that the Vx-6 is not as bright as the vx-r.  My vx-r is daylight bright and then some.  
View Quote

IIRC, The "Firedot" uses a different method of illumination.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The VX-6 Superset is photoing images of above has the "Firedot BDC" reticle.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right. The illumination is so dismal, I wasn't even paying attention to his earlier post. Smaddox's post stands.

Ouch, that is dismal.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I got mine in the mail this week.  It has not been full sunlight to test it yet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I meant to post these earlier but forgot. Vortex Razor vs VX6.
The VX6 red is a shade darker than the Vortex but still doable. Both are a little brighter in person as the cell phone can't really capture it in full detail.

Vortex Razor 1-6x:

Leupold VX6 1-6x FireDot BDC (Red):
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#22]
SuperSet, how flat is the 1x image on the Leupold compared to the Vortex?  My impression just from playing with a VX-6 in the store was that there was a lot more fisheye than other nice LPVOs I've looked through, especially when panning with it.  I know some fisheye is basically unavoidable when panning but it was much more disconcerting on the VX-6 than some others.

Also, in your experience, is that effect typically more pronounced on a 1-6x than a 1-4x?  I thought the Kahles, which is supposedly the best 1-6x on the market, was not as flat at 1x as my Meopta ZD Tactical 1-4x, which is a very nice scope but wouldn't typically be considered quite in the Kahles class I don't think.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the VX6 image is very flat and right up there with the Razor. The eyebox is definitely generous enough to make it relatively easy to shoot at 1X.  Maybe, maybe there's a smidgeon of fisheye at the edges but I have the diopter adjusted pretty well to negate that. The color and contrast out of the Razor is definitely better though.

I'm going to be shooting the VX6 for a bit and seeing how it compares with the Razor. I think it should be doable with the duller illumination.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Cool, thanks.  May not have had the diopter adjusted correctly then.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Superset, are the stadia lines of the VX6 reticle that much thicker than that of the Razor?

Pics make them look quite thick.

I wonder if they are too thick for some precision work in a pinch, if I wanted to go shoot groups at 300 just for instance.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Superset, are the stadia lines of the VX6 reticle that much thicker than that of the Razor?

Pics make them look quite thick.

I wonder if they are too thick for some precision work in a pinch, if I wanted to go shoot groups at 300 just for instance.

View Quote

They are thick.  I don't mind this because it is a 1-6.  I would not have it in a long range or precision scope. ymmv.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, I ended up picking up a Razor 1-6x.  The weight didn't end up being all that bad, surprisingly enough.  I think the majority of the weight in the Razor seems to be towards the ocular lens while all the weight in the VCOG was towards the objective end.  Seems to make for a much better balancing rifle.  

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8397/28565583663_72a734d376_b.jpg
View Quote

Looks like you went the Geissele Super Precision SOPMOD route for a mount. Any consideration to something like the Aero Precision mount to try to save a bit on on weight for the mount? I've had an AP mount I've been very happy with but have never owned a Geissele mount. Starting from fresh for my Razor.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top