Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2016 9:40:32 PM EDT
As the title states, looking for a lighter weight alternative to the 1-6x Razor.  I'm thinking of ditching my 4x ACOG and getting back into the LPV game.  If it's a little more expensive, no big deal.  Mainly concerned about the features being similar, very generous eyebox (this is high priority), clear glass, true daylight bright illumination, "built like a tank" construction, preferably a BDC type reticle, etc.

The rifle that this will be going on previously sported a Trijicon VCOG (this was also prior to the addition of a CQBL-1 LAM) and it was a damn pig (the Razor weighs more than the VCOG does, sadly).  

So is there anything out there?  I've heard good stuff about the Kahles K16i, but I'm trying to keep it pretty well under a $2k.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Short Dot or an ACOG.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Leupold VX-6 with Firedot SPR reticle?
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I was about to say the same thing, I would have bought one already if they had the tmr reticle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

How are they durability wise?  Glass quality?  Illumination brightness?  I've looked at them somewhat, but I'm not too familiar with the VX-6 line.

It'd be really nice if you've used both the Razor and the VX-6 so I can get a true comparison.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Seeing good things about the Steiner 1-5x LPV as well, any opinions on how it compares to the Vortex?
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Eurooptic has the Kahles k16i on sale for $1750 now. Great price.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Also want to check out the Leupold Mk6, if you want FFP.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also want to check out the Leupold Mk6, if you want FFP.
View Quote

Not really concerned about FFP.  I never use anything but min and max magnification with my LPVs, so I have no need for ranging at intermediate power levels.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Eurooptic has the Kahles k16i on sale for $1750 now. Great price.
View Quote

Damn, I'll have to check that out.

ETA:  How is the eyebox between the K16i and the Razor.  When I handled the Razor, it was one of the main features that I picked up on, the eyebox is super forgiving (tight eyeboxes were one of my main gripes with the LPVs I've used in the past).  Are they comparable or is one better than the other?
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#10]
They're very close with the edge going to the Kahles. The Vortex would be 90 and the Kahles and Swarovski would be 100.
The exception is that I thought the Vortex Razor illumination was brighter than the Kahles K16i SM1. I don't know how the G4B reticle illumination compares. The Swarovski Z6i illumination is the brightest of them all.
Also, you should take into account the warranty and repair work. When I had to get my Z6i worked on, it had to go back to Austria, which took weeks.
Vortex CS sets the standard for everyone else, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:19:48 AM EDT
[#11]
This may help

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#12]
The Leupold Firedot BDC 1-6 is very nice.   True 1x.    Day light visible firedot.   Light.   and on sale at various places. like Euro-Optics

Two cautions though.   The reticule lines are thick which is great for visibility run-n-gunning and standing.    The BDC lines up well with M193 and 16inch barrel with a wind of 2.5 MPH, using Strelock.  

The scope feels robust and if you are a set 'em and forget 'em turret user, it would work out well for you.  

At the sale price, I think the scope is properly priced compared to others.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This may help

http://youtu.be/JHzvI6zu7Mo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This may help

http://youtu.be/JHzvI6zu7Mo

From Supersets video description:

Lastly, my plans are for this to be my final review video. So, no other plans for the channel. Many thanks for watching and wishing everyone the best. See you guys on the range!

Noooooooooooo
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Leupold Firedot BDC 1-6 is very nice.   True 1x.    Day light visible firedot.   Light.   and on sale at various places. like Euro-Optics
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yours is daylight bright? I could barely see mine at noon. My buddy's is the same way.
I called Leupold CS and they didn't know anything so I just sent it in to have them look at it.

Quoted:
Noooooooooooo

It's been a great run.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted: Yours is daylight bright? I could barely see mine at noon. My buddy's is the same way.
I called Leupold CS and they didn't know anything so I just sent it in to have them look at it.
View Quote

Yes.   The color was not a deep green color when it's turned up.  The color was more pale greenish.   If you were aiming at whiteish - greenish targets, I could see the firedot blending in.   Against black and dark targets, you can see it very clearly.

Did you use the battery Leupold supplied or your own?   I used my own.  Perhaps, their batteries were in the box too long.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Kahles K6i
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Seeing good things about the Steiner 1-5x LPV as well, any opinions on how it compares to the Vortex?
View Quote

I own both.  Very very comparable.

Illumination is brighter on the razor but the Steiner has NV settings on the low end which is nice.

Glass, slight edge to vortex.    

Weight , big edge to Steiner.

Turrets, huge edge to vortex.

Durability?  I don't know they have both survived a lot of 3-gun with perfect zero retention.  I can't afford to torture test 1k optics.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yours is daylight bright? I could barely see mine at noon. My buddy's is the same way.

It's been a great run.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Noooooooooooo

It's been a great run.  

Enjoyed all your reviews, some of the best out there, hopefully you'll be back.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd absolutely jump on that Kahles deal
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's been a great run.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Noooooooooooo

It's been a great run.  

Snap! Your reviews will be missed, but thanks for everything that you have done!
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Short Dot . . .

View Quote

The Short Dot LE is one of the finest LPV scopes currently available, but unfortunately, lightweight it is not.

Weighing In

Trijicon TR24 with LaRue SPR-E mount:

1 pound, 6 ounces

Aimpoint M4S combined with Aimpoint 3X magnifier, both in LaRue mounts:

1 pound 6.8 ounces

NightForce 1- 4 x 24 NXS with LaRue SPR-S mount:

1 pound, 7.5 ounces

Schmidt & Bender Short Dot LE with a LaRue SPR-E mount:

1 pound, 11.1 ounces

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, thanks for the advice guys.  I think I'm going to give the Razor a shot to start off.  If it's not to my liking weight wise, I'll probably flip it and give something else a go.  

Any preferences on the Razor reticles?  I'm leaning heavily towards the VMR-2 MRAD or MOA.  I'd like to decide though, probably order as soon as my TA31RCO sells.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, thanks for the advice guys.  I think I'm going to give the Razor a shot to start off.  If it's not to my liking weight wise, I'll probably flip it and give something else a go.  

Any preferences on the Razor reticles?  I'm leaning heavily towards the VMR-2 MRAD or MOA.  I'd like to decide though, probably order as soon as my TA31RCO sells.  
View Quote

I still need more range trips with my razor 1-6x but I feel like it's slightly better balanced and about the same weight as my eotech g33 combo on my block ii.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Personally, I keep coming back to the simple JM1 BDC due to its ease of remembering the drops at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards for my ammo.  I tend to only shoot 55grs nowadays.
But, If you want to shoot further out or use the scope for something other than 223, I think the MRADs the better option.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

JM-1 is the heat.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Personally, I keep coming back to the simple JM1 BDC due to its ease of remembering the drops at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards for my ammo.  I tend to only shoot 55grs nowadays.
But, If you want to shoot further out or use the scope for something other than 223, I think the MRADs the better option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Playing around in Strelok, it seems the JM-1 would be a lot more simplistic.......I'll mainly be shooting M193 through the gun this will sit on anyway.

Decisions, decisions.....
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The JM reticle.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Why would you get the razor to then probably flip it? Is it a price issue against the others by not going with a Kahles offering? I never see these for sale on the EE meaning buyer is satisfied.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#29]
The razor has nothing going for it over the Kahles, apart from price.  And with Eurooptics Kahles sale, even that is negated. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why would you get the razor to then probably flip it? Is it a price issue against the others by not going with a Kahles offering? I never see these for sale on the EE meaning buyer is satisfied.
View Quote

Well, I won't necessarily flip it.  My only concern is weight.  So as long as it doesn't both me too badly, I'll be keeping the Razor.  

It's also an issue of price with the Kahles.  I don't really know how long Euro Optic will have it on sale and I probably won't have the remainder of the cash needed for another month or so.  Also, I'm getting a decent .mil discount on the Razor, so they aren't as close in price.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The razor has nothing going for it over the Kahles, apart from price.  And with Eurooptics Kahles sale, even that is negated. Buy once, cry once.
View Quote

lol

I understand and fully embrace the "buy once, cry once" philosophy, but were not comparing an NcStar RDS to an Aimpoint here.  Both the Vortex and Kahles are quality scopes that will function as advertised.  

I still haven't bought one yet, so I guess we'll see which direction I go, but I won't be all that concerned if I decide on the Vortex.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

lol

I understand and fully embrace the "buy once, cry once" philosophy, but were not comparing an NcStar RDS to an Aimpoint here.  Both the Vortex and Kahles are quality scopes that will function as advertised.  

I still haven't bought one yet, so I guess we'll see which direction I go, but I won't be all that concerned if I decide on the Vortex.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Lets see.

weight-kahles
glass-kahles
field of view-kahles
reticle options-kahles
integrated cat tail-kahles
daylight bright-both
price-vortex a few hundred cheaper.  

Had both, sold the vortex.  You asked, man.  Just trying to help. Do what you like, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would call them equal scopes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#33]
The trijicon TR25 is what I would say. Glass is outstanding plenty of eye relief, and it's very light compared to the VCOG or Razor. I have two TR24's, one with the green triangle and one with the german crosshairs and green dot. The german is great for 3 gun but the dot is small so it's not super bright at night, however the triangle is bright at night super fast up close and I've made hits on 4 inch plates at 200 yds with it. On the TR25 I believe the triangle is under 3MOA in size. The accupoints are also very durable, I'm thinking about trading in my german crosshair one in for a tr25 with green triangle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#34]
The trijicon TR25 is what I would say. Glass is outstanding plenty of eye relief, and it's very light compared to the VCOG or Razor. I have two TR24's, one with the green triangle and one with the german crosshairs and green dot. The german is great for 3 gun but the dot is small so it's not super bright at night, however the triangle is bright at night super fast up close and I've made hits on 4 inch plates at 200 yds with it. On the TR25 I believe the triangle is under 3MOA in size. The accupoints are also very durable, I'm thinking about trading in my german crosshair one in for a tr25 with green triangle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Lets see.

weight-kahles
glass-kahles
field of view-kahles
reticle options-kahles
daylight bright-both

Had both, sold the vortex.  You asked, man.  Just trying to help. Do what you like, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would call them equal scopes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Lets see.

weight-kahles
glass-kahles
field of view-kahles
reticle options-kahles
daylight bright-both

Sorry if I came off a little snarky, not how I intended that to appear.  I definitely see your points and I'm seriously mulling it over, won't have the funds for another day or two, so I have a little time to think it over.  Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sorry if I came off a little snarky, not how I intended that to appear.  I definitely see your points and I'm seriously mulling it over, won't have the funds for another day or two, so I have a little time to think it over.  Thanks for the advice!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Lets see.

weight-kahles
glass-kahles
field of view-kahles
reticle options-kahles
daylight bright-both

No, your point is valid.  You won't be "crying once" if you end up with the razor.  As you said, just an old adage we throw around.  I stand by my words that the Kahles is superior, though.  Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I disagree. The Razor fits all the criteria the OP has outlined.

OP have you actually looked thru a Razor 1x6 ? You will be impressed.
The field of view and clarity is amazing.
I use mine for 3 Gun and on 1x the illuminated reticle is an excellent red dot with both eyes open. I have no need for irons.
Even in full daylight you can see the red dot.  

I suggest you go to a sporting goods store or gun shop that has these in stock and look thru them and compare.  
You'll be pleased with the Razor, it's only trade off is the weight but you asked for bomb proof and that's the cost.    
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I went with this

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I went with this

http://i.imgur.com/zkLo9wd.jpg
View Quote

Outstanding
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I went with this

View Quote

Wise man.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like a great choice.

Interested to know if you looked at:
Nightforce
Steiner
Meopta
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wise man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went with this

Wise man.

FWIW! The vortex glass is every bit as good as the Kahles to my eyes. I have a friend who shoots 3gun on a JP rifle and he uses the Razor because he doesn't mind the added weight.

EDIT: I spoke to a Nightforce CS rep about my ATACR a few months ago and he said NF has gotten numerous requests for a 1-6 and 1-8 optic with true 1x on the bottom end.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#43]
My experience apparently doesn't match up with anyone else's, but I really wasn't impressed with the Kahles and sold it after less than a week.  Don't get me wrong, it's a nice scope, just didn't think the hype and price are anywhere near to the actual product that I had in my hands.

My main complaint was that I couldn't get a consistently flat image across the magnification range - I'd play with the focus to get it looking good at 1x, but as soon as I'd change to 6x or something in between, I'd have to do it all over again.  The glass was pretty good, but I put it side by side with a Leupold VX-2 and the Leupold had a much brighter image and at least as much clarity.  I called in my father-in-law to evaluate because he's had a variety of really nice, high-end European optics over the years.  Without prompting, I had him compare the Leupold and the Kahles side-by-side and he said he thought the Leupold was brighter and at least as clear.  I asked him how much he thought the Kahles cost, and he guessed $300.  To be fair, the illuminated  reticle (SM1) is fantastic and probably unequaled by any other scope on the market, the mechanical functions were like butter - except the cattail, which was much too small to be useful in my opinion - and the finish was fantastic.

Replaced it with a Meopta ZD Tactical 1-4x that cost half as much - I lost 2x zoom and don't like the reticle as much for precision work, but I think the Meopta is optically superior, the illumination is even brighter than the Kahles, and the reticle is probably superior for my purposes (3 Gun).

My two cents.  Clearly I'm the odd man out on this one since I have yet to read a poor word about the scope from anyone else - which is why I bought it in the first place - but without a doubt, one of the more disappointing purchases I've ever made.  At least I managed to get my money back on it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

FWIW! The vortex glass is every bit as good as the Kahles to my eyes. I have a friend who shoots 3gun on a JP rifle and he uses the Razor because he doesn't mind the added weight.

EDIT: I spoke to a Nightforce CS rep about my ATACR a few months ago and he said NF has gotten numerous requests for a 1-6 and 1-8 optic with true 1x on the bottom end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went with this

Wise man.

There are a TON of guys using the Vortex that could easily afford the Kahles.

Wish Nightforce would get in the daylight-bright LPVO game - I'm surprised they haven't yet.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

pretty much what op called for
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, I ended up picking up a Razor 1-6x.  The weight didn't end up being all that bad, surprisingly enough.  I think the majority of the weight in the Razor seems to be towards the ocular lens while all the weight in the VCOG was towards the objective end.  Seems to make for a much better balancing rifle.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#47]
That is really nice Jeff.  How much does it weigh now?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

When it had the TA31 on there, the rifle weighed 8lbs 4.2oz unloaded.  It now weighs 9lbs 5.4oz unloaded.  So gained about 17oz. with the new scope.

Still under 10lbs, so I'm happy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

When it had the TA31 on there, the rifle weighed 8lbs 4.2oz unloaded.  It now weighs 9lbs 5.4oz unloaded.  So gained about 17oz. with the new scope.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that scope black or is that a camera trick?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, it's the standard Vortex Razor tan/FDE/brown color.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top