Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2016 12:04:19 AM EDT
Today I looked trough a trijicon red dot and it was super sunbursted, does this mean I have astigmatism?  My wife looked through the sight and said the dot was very uneven but no sunburtsting.  Does this mean that I can not use any red dots or just have to use nicer ones like an aimpoint, would an eotech be better for this problem?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Possibly or the power was just turned up higher than it needed to be for the light conditions.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:11:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Possibly or the power was just turned up higher than it needed to be for the light conditions.
View Quote

It helped with mine to move the sight farther forward. had to play with it due to my astigmatism.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Like he said, turn the power down to the lowest level you can use at the time. You do not have to spend $500 to have a good working reflex sight, and don't buy EOTech at this time. All reflex sights work the same way - the dot does not have to be centered to be on the target (after you sight it in, of course). I've never seen any difference in dot quality from the $50 to the $500 dot sight. If you can afford it, the Trijicon would be a lifetime sight that you can count on, but you really don't have to spend that kind of money to have a working sight.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice guys I had the sight turned way up.  I was not at all impressed with this specific Trijicon MRO, the dot was not a dot for anyone that looked at it, it was more like an uneven blob and not a crisp circle.  Maybe this was just a bad one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Like he said, turn the power down to the lowest level you can use at the time. You do not have to spend $500 to have a good working reflex sight, and don't buy EOTech at this time. All reflex sights work the same way - the dot does not have to be centered to be on the target (after you sight it in, of course). I've never seen any difference in dot quality from the $50 to the $500 dot sight. If you can afford it, the Trijicon would be a lifetime sight that you can count on, but you really don't have to spend that kind of money to have a working sight.
View Quote

I'd have to disagree on this one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:21:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't speak to what he's seen, but I've sure seen the difference.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:31:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice guys I had the sight turned way up.  I was not at all impressed with this specific Trijicon MRO, the dot was not a dot for anyone that looked at it, it was more like an uneven blob and not a crisp circle.  Maybe this was just a bad one.
View Quote

The part in red most likely happened because of the part in blue.  Turn the intensity level down.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Take a picture of the reticle, or view the reticle from your phones camera, you will be surprised to see what the reticle actually looks like.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Take a picture of the reticle, or view the reticle from your phones camera, you will be surprised to see what the reticle actually looks like.
View Quote

This.

Also...

Turn the brightness down if you have it cranked up.  High brightness on any red dot will make it starburst.

Aso, astigmatism isn't binary.  Its not a "You have it or you don't" type thing.  One person might have a very "slight" astigmatism,  another guy might have a really "bad" astigmatism.  Also, some people who wear glasses or contacts see a bad red dot and think they have an astigmatism because they read about it online when really...its not an astigmatism at all (or its just a slight astigmatism) and their eye prescription is just off.  That happened to me.  My Aimpoint T-1 looked terrible and I figured I had an astigmatism because of what I'd read.  I went to the eye doctor and he said I have a very slight astigmatism but my contact prescription was off.  He corrected the contact prescription (but not the astigmatism) and the dot looked much better.

Some other hints....

Make sure you focus on the target and not the dot.

If your doing slow-fire, and as you take each shot, that dot is getting worse and worse...make sure you oxygenate your blood.  Breathe in DEEP through your nose a few times and exhale slow.  Also, remember to blink.  That will help to crisp up that dot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Get PRK.

This is the answer to 10% of all the questions in this forum. It will increase your ability to shoot more than any other optical enhancement or gizmo. Don't buy glasses, contacts, or pick special scopes. Fix the freaking problem and move forward.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Or you have an astigmatism.

Put your dot in a mount that is set for absolute cowitness. Look through the rear sight at the dot. If it clears up its your eyes. Using the rear sight this way will clear up the bloom of the dot.

View Quote

Try this for sure.  Red dots look like sunbursts to me, but when I look through the rear iron sight, the dot become very clear.  If that doesn't happen, then there is likely something wrong with the red-dot
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.

I have several budget red dots from several different companies.  While all are suitable for casual shooting at the range, none are reliable enough to count on in a life and death situation.   They may get the job done until you can save up to get a duty grade dot.   It is worth the saving to end up with one red dot to put on your home defense weapon that is duty grade and has years of battery life without having to activate it under stress. Use the others at the range or for non-critical shooting.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top