Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2016 10:50:48 PM EDT
LaRue still the best for scope mounts?  Is there any other - return to zero type scope mount that's cheaper than the LaRue?  Just not fancying spending $200 for a scope mount.  $100 would be great.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer bobro and adm over larue, mainly due to how they adjust.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Bobro is the only one of the big three I won't use. I'm happy with my Larue mounts. You can go cheaper with some of the fixed mounts if you need to save some money.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Your best bet is keeping your eye on the used optic market in the equipment exchange

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Reports here on Bobro slipping in the rail slots no matter how adjusted.

I have several Larue SPR mounts and several ADM mounts.  Both rock solid, do not move, hold zero and have great return to zero.  I prefer Larue double lever mounts for medium to heavy scopes and ADM single lever mounts for small, light scopes and red dots.

The standard Larue LT-104 mount is my favorite for most scope applications on an AR15.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:04:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I use ADM on all my rifles. Very happy with them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:08:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Another ADM fan here.. I've been using their mounts since they were new to the market and never had issues
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another ADM fan here.. I've been using their mounts since they were new to the market and never had issues
View Quote

Another larue fan here

I have larue mounts on all of my guns, but only because I like the way they look over the ADM mounts.  I really don't think there is a right answer between those two.  ADM mounts are on the EE fairly regularly for 140-ish, and lt104's for 170 ish. Personally if it's a rifle you like, I would splurge a bit more and get a mount that will last and be hassle free. 40 bucks over budget is money well spent when you won't have to buy another mount. Optics are vital to your rifle being effective-give them a good home
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I have evolved to using a fixed mount, and angled iron sights.  In other words, leave the scope alone, and simply rotate the rifle.  Cheaper, stronger, and faster.

The Warne Tactical or Badger mounts are my favorite because they offer lower scope height (less than 1.5") options, which is a better cheek weld for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#9]
LaRue, still.

Unless you go 3x the price, then maybe SPUHR mounts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]
the mount n rings is not the place to skimp get the Larue and you'll be fine....
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have evolved to using a fixed mount, and angled iron sights.  In other words, leave the scope alone, and simply rotate the rifle.  Cheaper, stronger, and faster.

The Warne Tactical or Badger mounts are my favorite because they offer lower scope height (less than 1.5") options, which is a better cheek weld for me.
View Quote
Which is all good and fine if you have cheap optics or real good hard cases for your rifles. Personally I'm not leaving a $1800 scope on a rifle to get knocked around in a $80 soft sided rifle bag. Quick release LaRue for me. Never had a problem returning to zero within a click.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Which is all good and fine if you have cheap optics or real good hard cases for your rifles. Personally I'm not leaving a $1800 scope on a rifle to get knocked around in a $80 soft sided rifle bag. Quick release LaRue for me. Never had a problem returning to zero within a click.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you have an $80 soft case and $1800 optics?  Lol

Just a friendly poke.  I kid, really.

But he has a point.  Fixed mounts are superior for holding zero and strength.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
do yourself a favor...Go with LaRue.  You won't be disappointed!
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#14]
LaRue here, all my optics/scopes have them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#15]
LaRue here also.did try a few others and went right back to home.

Good luck OP
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I have Larue mounts on everything, best there is in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Geisselle Super Precision.

I just change URGs.

The mount comes off easy enough with the wrench in my kit
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I really like GDI but they aren't cheap
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:42:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I have LaRue, ADM and Bobro.
The Bobro does seem to move ever so slightly but now worth changing right now.  
The LaRue and the ADM's are nice but the LaRues just feel that they are better made to me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have LaRue, ADM and Bobro.

The Bobro does seem to move ever so slightly but now worth changing right now.  

The LaRue and the ADM's are nice but the LaRues just feel that they are better made to me.

View Quote
Get your calipers and measure your recoil lug. If it's under .210 Bobro will probably replace it. Both of mine got down to .206 which caused a lot of accuracy issues.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I've gone through all three of the big-name companies and I keep coming back to Larue.

I tried a couple of Nightforce mounts and just kept a warne 65 inch pound torque wrench handy for mounting and dismounting but once again I ended up going back to Larue as it was kind of a pain in the ass to have to keep using the wrench. The nightforce did return right to zero though just like the Larue. I have simply just become spoiled by QD mounts.

I also want to say that Bobro was one of my favorites, but reading quite a bit lately how they move fore and aft on the rail was another reason I returned to Larue. Isolated incidents? I don't know call me paranoid, and it does seem that the Larue mounts are built a little more solid and the BLAC system kind of always bugged me. I often wondered if that spring would ever give up the ghost someday on me. I know Bobo has a great warranty and will honor his product but I hate having to use a warrantee option at all.

I may have to send back one of my vortex PST scopes because I torqued down to 25 inch pounds on the tube and may have pinched or crushed the internals. Once again vortex has one of the best warranties in the business but now I have to remount the scope and mount it again to see if that's what it is and then if that is the problem I'll have to dismount it again send it to vortex and they will either fix it or send me a brand-new one which is awesome, but it kind of bugs me a little bit that 25 inch pounds crushed a scope tube.

The Larue mounts specify 30 inch pounds, and there is no way I'm going to go that far with a vortex tube. I'm thinking 18 inch pounds and that's as far as I'm going to go with those tubes.

So getting back on track I will repeat what others here say that Larue is my #1 go to.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I just change URGs.

View Quote

This, it only takes a slight turn to loosen with the wrench and then finger tight. Same to put on, finger tighten and then slight turn to lock down, never come off. Can' take more then a few seconds to take off or re-mount. I still use ADM and Larue until I get switched over to the geisselle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This, it only takes a slight turn to loosen with the wrench and then finger tight. Same to put on, finger tighten and then slight turn to lock down, never come off. Can' take more then a few seconds to take off or re-mount. I still use ADM and Larue until I get switched over to the geisselle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just change URGs.

The fit and finish to the scope tube was impressive to me.
Not inexpensive. But i got mine on the fund raiser for a member.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:06:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's the little things you've come to like ... custom made-in-house 17-4 Stainless heat-treated 8-40 threaded inserts found anywhere there is a thread on our mounts.  
Levers are billet machined, also out of 17-4 Stainless ... passes salt-fog tests, chosen again, again, and again for everything the Marines use in combat.  Plus for nearly 100% of every make and model of high-dollar US military fielded night vision devices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've gone through all three of the big-name companies and I keep coming back to Larue.

I tried a couple of Nightforce mounts and just kept a warne 65 inch pound torque wrench handy for mounting and dismounting but once again I ended up going back to Larue as it was kind of a pain in the ass to have to keep using the wrench. The nightforce did return right to zero though just like the Larue. I have simply just become spoiled by QD mounts.

I also want to say that Bobro was one of my favorites, but reading quite a bit lately how they move fore and aft on the rail was another reason I returned to Larue. Isolated incidents? I don't know call me paranoid, and it does seem that the Larue mounts are built a little more solid and the BLAC system kind of always bugged me. I often wondered if that spring would ever give up the ghost someday on me. I know Bobo has a great warranty and will honor his product but I hate having to use a warrantee option at all.

I may have to send back one of my vortex PST scopes because I torqued down to 25 inch pounds on the tube and may have pinched or crushed the internals. Once again vortex has one of the best warranties in the business but now I have to remount the scope and mount it again to see if that's what it is and then if that is the problem I'll have to dismount it again send it to vortex and they will either fix it or send me a brand-new one which is awesome, but it kind of bugs me a little bit that 25 inch pounds crushed a scope tube.

The Larue mounts specify 30 inch pounds, and there is no way I'm going to go that far with a vortex tube. I'm thinking 18 inch pounds and that's as far as I'm going to go with those tubes.

So getting back on track I will repeat what others here say that Larue is my #1 go to.

It's the little things you've come to like ... custom made-in-house 17-4 Stainless heat-treated 8-40 threaded inserts found anywhere there is a thread on our mounts.  
Levers are billet machined, also out of 17-4 Stainless ... passes salt-fog tests, chosen again, again, and again for everything the Marines use in combat.  Plus for nearly 100% of every make and model of high-dollar US military fielded night vision devices.

Why yes, yes it is!

Another little thing I love about the Larue mounts are the ring style. 99% of the time I just level the scope, tighten the bottom rings, and then the top and the scope will not spin in the rings while you are tightening the rings down.

I tried an arrow precision mount last year to try and lighten things up a bit and the way those rings are set up I was ready to throw that thing across the street. That came off and guess what mount went back on again?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:24:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is Gospel truth right here

LaRue mounts are all I use
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No expert but totally agree -- There might be some new ideas/challengers that many argue are "just as good" (maybe), I've had problems w/ some other experimental 'stuff' in the past, yet I've NEVER had an issue w/ a time-proven LaRue mount, much less anything Mark & team send out their "precision" shop door.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#29]
I've tried my fair share of mounts and have come back to LT as well. I don't care for ADMs levers. Bobro is nice but the lever is huge and busts your knuckles. I don't need QD but I still prefer the ease over tightening nuts. Also, although not important, I prefer the simplistic style of most LT mounts.

I'm a big fan of the 104 and 660 mounts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Went with the ADM Delta on my SCAR 17.

For my AR's, I'll stick with LaRue.

Both work fine, but my knuckles appreciate the levers on the right side of the ADM mount for the SCAR. Now if we could get the LaRue LT111 with the levers on the right.... *cough* *cough* Mark
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Lt104 is gtg
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#32]
If you are made of money the QD ISMS (Spuhr) should be out soon

Otherwise LaRue and ADM have always worked for me
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If you are made of money the QD ISMS (Spuhr) should be out soon

http://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/spuhrsideshot.jpg

Otherwise LaRue and ADM have always worked for me
View Quote
Very nice! I would like to try one - along with a GDI mount.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I love my LaRue mounts. RTZ has been 100% rock solid every time for me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#36]
I use LaRue on my guns. Friends have ADM's and they are fine for what they are, however, I notice they lack the fine details. The fine details make a product quality in my opinion. I'm getting ready to grab an LT-745 10MOA (would be nice if you guys made this in 0 MOA) for my SCAR 17s. Presently running a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 in an LT-104 and it's destroying my knuckles with the QD levers on the left hand side.

LT-104 will be re-purposed to mount a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 on an AR. Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I use LaRue mounts on every gun with an optic. Doesn't matter if it is a pistol caliber carbine with an Aimpoint or a bolt action 338 Lapua with a Nightforce. LaRue has never let me down. 110% recommend LaRue mounts.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top