User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 25
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This Steiner optic looks very nice.  I wish there was a way to torture test these things...or at least those willing to do so
View Quote

Steiner is one of the last companies I'd worry about durability with.  Overall, they're gear is extremely robust.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I pulled the trigger on this one this morning. I was going to do the optic trade in at Bass Pro and get the free rings but when I started looking at my gun it appeared I would need an offset mount anyways. I ordered it through DSGArms and with their LEO program, I ended up getting the 5202 with the throw lever for an even better price.
View Quote

Mine should ship today and arrive Thursday ($521 shipped from scopelist.com).  I didn't get a throw lever but I may add one after I handle it.

Just got the mount in from the EE (SPR-E VFZ).  Will sit on my 14.7 LMT LW carbine.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious how one of these would stack up on a SCAR 17s for shorter range work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm curious how one of these would stack up on a SCAR 17s for shorter range work.
View Quote

On a 16" barrel you can probably tweak the zero with strelok and make it work for the standard 147-168 gr loads. With strelok and a bit of effort most .308 loads can line up decently enough with 5.56 reticles for shooting man sized targets.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine came today.

When I first opened it up and took it out of the box I checked both the windage and elevation turrets and the illumination turret.

I didn't get that mushy feeling with them and the clicks were nice and positive, but I will say the clicks are very light and easy so having the turrets covered is definitely a plus.

This thing is definitely daylight bright, in a pic I put below it is only on setting 7 or 8 I think it was. Setting 11 is nuclear bright and should be plenty enough in bright sunlight.

There is a little bit of magnification at the 1X setting but it only seems to be with objects that are from about say 5 yards and in. To me after that it pretty much seems non-existent.

I also want to say that the eye box is very very forgiving and it is pretty darn close to a vortex razor 1 – 6 I owned in the past.

I don't see any blurring on the edges either in all magnification settings. Of course everyone's eyes may be different. For the record I do wear prescription glasses.

The knurled magnification ring does seem a little stiff but really smooth and the groves on it are quite exaggerated. It almost seems like you don't even need a throw lever with this one. Not so sure about that yet as I have not tried it out on the range though.

So far my first impression of this thing is that it is definitely a keeper and it is better than anything I have ever tried before in this price range and comes pretty damn close to others that are way above this price range as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways below are my crappy pics of it when I first got it in today, after I mounted it and last but not least a pic of the dot looking from inside to a bright sunny day on the outside which was around 330 in the afternoon here with the sun shining from East to West in front of my place.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
<snip>
View Quote

Good feedback.

Weird - In your picture the dot looks red and in SuperSet's pic it looks amber.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good feedback.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Good feedback.

It's definitely red when I look through it.

Digital cameras can be kind of funky that way sometimes.

Mine definitely isn't the greatest. Especially when snapping shots inside it can be kind of PITA. I noticed under artificial lights most digital  cameras that I have owned really suck as far as showing true colors.

Of course I'm not the greatest photographer either and I'm sure there are all kinds of settings on this camera that I will never even know exist

Unless outside in bright daylight,  if I'm snapping a shot for an EE ad I have to use all kinds of light from every angle in order to get a decent picture with this thing.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
That thing looks really sharp
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Dadgum if that doesn't look like a winner.  Thanks for the pics.  Whose got the best price with the throw lever included?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dadgum if that doesn't look like a winner.  Thanks for the pics.  Whose got the best price with the throw lever included?
View Quote

During my search, unless you get a police or military discount it seems that the prices are pretty much the same everywhere you go.

Of course the mistake I made was that I didn't look at the item Item #5202 when I bought mine. My Item # was 5201.

They are both the same price with or without the throw lever.

I think DSG has the one that comes with the throw lever in stock right now.

The going price seems to be $579 pretty much everywhere I looked.

I think as long as you make sure it's the item 5202 it will come with the throw lever.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

During my search, unless you get a police or military discount it seems that the prices are pretty much the same everywhere you go.

Of course the mistake I made was that I didn't look at the item Item #5202 when I bought mine. My Item # was 5201.

I think as long as you make sure it's the item 5202 it will come with the throw lever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed, I saw the ones at DSG.  Im in Texas so I'd pay tax, but the others seem to be the same price without the lever.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Indeed, I saw the ones at DSG.  Im in Texas so I'd pay tax, but the others seem to be the same price without the lever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you on the taxes!

Keep in mind though it might be worth it because to add the throw lever later on down the road is going to cost  $69 to $72 just for the throw lever that fits it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#13]
FYI - Ordered mine from Scopelist.com for $521.99 shipped using the "make an offer" option.  I got 5201 with no throw lever.

They had some good feedback on ARF and seem to be tied to Eurooptic (same address).  

No affiliation with vendor.  DSG is gtg also.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#14]
How viable for 300blk subsonic?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the review GMAN.

For you, Superset and others that have picked up this optic,

How usable is the reticle without illumination?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How viable for 300blk subsonic?
View Quote

I would think as long as you had your load data or some really good estimates, Strelok (or other ballistics software) would let you know where the holdovers were for the subsonic rounds.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's definitely more than good enough to use without the illumination.

The reticle crosshairs are plenty thick enough but at the same time not too thick if that makes sense?

I had a Leupold VXR 1.5-4x and that reticle seemed much more obstructive at range than this one does.

As a matter of fact when I first took it out of the box today I was playing around with it looking through it for quite some time before I realized I needed to turn on the illumination to make sure it worked and to see how bright it actually is.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The reticle crosshairs are plenty thick enough but at the same time not too thick if that makes sense?

I had a Leupold VXR 1.5-4x and that reticle seemed much more obstructive at range than this one does.

As a matter of fact when I first took it out of the box today I was playing around with it looking through it for quite some time before I realized I needed to turn on the illumination to make sure it worked and to see how bright it actually is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha thank you. And makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#19]
My thoughts are that you can shoot without illumination but since it's a thinner crosshair reticle, your target should be in daylight with enough contrast, so it can be more easily separated from the reticle.  Which is why I think having a daylight bright reticle is important for fast shooting since you can always see reticle movement, especially during recoil.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn you guys, This thread has me contemplating selling my steiner military 1-4 in order to pick up the px4. I'd save around 5ish ounces
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Damn you guys, This thread has me contemplating selling my steiner military 1-4 in order to pick up the px4. I'd save around 5ish ounces
View Quote

I almost bought that in the EE ... I watched it for days.  I was amazed at how low it got.

The size and weight kept me away.  I was relieved when you bought it
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My thoughts are that you can shoot without illumination but since it's a thinner crosshair reticle, your target should be in daylight with have enough contrast, so it can be more easily separated from the reticle.  Which is why I think having a daylight bright reticle is important for fast shooting since you can always see reticle movement, especially during recoil.
View Quote

is your reticle amber or red?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My thoughts are that you can shoot without illumination but since it's a thinner crosshair reticle, your target should be in daylight with have enough contrast, so it can be more easily separated from the reticle.  Which is why I think having a daylight bright reticle is important for fast shooting since you can always see reticle movement, especially during recoil.

To my eyes, it's red/amber-ish. About the same color as my Vortex Razor 1-6x and different than my EOTech or AimPoint.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I can't wait. Just got a tracking number from DSG. Mine will be here on Friday. Unfortunately I'm recovering from Rotator Cuff surgery and won't be able to shoot it for quite some time. At least I'll be able to mount it and look out the window for a couple of months.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Went ahead and ordered from DSG.  No tracking yet!  Thanks for all the info in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys are making this tempting...

Someone give a bad review please
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#28]
FWIW, if you search the scope model #on Ebay, a place has them for 579.00 with the throw lever & free shipping.
I ordered from them Monday and it was delivered today.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
FWIW, if you search the scope model #on Ebay, a place has them for 579.00 with the throw lever & free shipping.
I ordered from them Monday and it was delivered today.
View Quote

Pics man!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I almost bought that in the EE ... I watched it for days.  I was amazed at how low it got.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get use to the size and weight. The glass is excellent and I love how the eye relief is so consistent from 1-4x. It sits on a recce currently, but I'm gonna chop the barrel to 14in and pin a BE meyers saker mount if I ever get off my ass and call adco, make it a mini-recce.

Plus I got a smokin deal
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#31]
If you have a sportsmanguide buyers club membership you can get it for $484.97 Shipped today with the double discount coupon code "SK1320"

I may snag one at that price

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/steiner-p4xi-1-4x24mm-rifle-scope?a=1953337
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Question for those who have received their PX4i.  Are you 2 "NV" settings visible to your naked eye?  In a lit room, mine are.

I can tell you this thing is nuclear bright.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Question for those who have received their PX4i.  Are you 2 "NV" settings visible to your naked eye?  In a lit room, mine are.

I can tell you this thing is nuclear bright.
View Quote

Foo

IM sent.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Im curious about the edge to edge clarity and true 1X capability because the pics in this thread show clear curvature of field, lack of focus at the edges and a lack of 1X. Can someone show a pic displaying a flat 1X FOV with edge to edge sharpness? Really not happy with 1-5X Burris XTR II. Soft focus at edges, curvature of field (though less than Meopta) as bright as Meopta in reticle. Though the Burris does let you go with target or capped turrets and go to zero.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I’ve got an Aero 1” mount, they are 3 ounces, I bet I could stand on one without breaking it. I also own the pig scope from Leupold and the muzzleloader scope from Vortex, both are around 8 ounces with 1” tube. Bending either will require a lot of abuse which will not happen with my gear, not at the range, not at 3 gun, not in a SD situation and not even in a SHTF scenario.

I’m in the carbon fiber tubing industry. I bet I could develop a 1-4 scope below 6 ounces. Maybe I’ll look into it… those 14 - 17 ounce 1 - 4/5/6 scopes are really out of place. Many of them are being used at 3 gun and most 3 gun pros try to save weight where they can. Spending $500 on small Titanium parts from V7 and spending $3000 on that Bender & Schmidt 1-8 fat ass scope at 23 ounces don’t really match that well. I bought the Kahles 1-6 at 16.9 ounces instead, still too heavy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thin tubes are lighter weight but more easily bent / dented when dropped.  I recall a thread where a TR24 (trijicon accupoint) tube was bent after the rifle rear sling swivel let go and it the rifle hit the dirt ... A 3 foot fall.

I’ve got an Aero 1” mount, they are 3 ounces, I bet I could stand on one without breaking it. I also own the pig scope from Leupold and the muzzleloader scope from Vortex, both are around 8 ounces with 1” tube. Bending either will require a lot of abuse which will not happen with my gear, not at the range, not at 3 gun, not in a SD situation and not even in a SHTF scenario.

I’m in the carbon fiber tubing industry. I bet I could develop a 1-4 scope below 6 ounces. Maybe I’ll look into it… those 14 - 17 ounce 1 - 4/5/6 scopes are really out of place. Many of them are being used at 3 gun and most 3 gun pros try to save weight where they can. Spending $500 on small Titanium parts from V7 and spending $3000 on that Bender & Schmidt 1-8 fat ass scope at 23 ounces don’t really match that well. I bought the Kahles 1-6 at 16.9 ounces instead, still too heavy.

Good luck with your plastic lensed shit-box, sir. I pity your frustration in life should you put your time and money where your big, uneducated mouth is. Good lens systems are made of glass. The best glass is dense and heavy. Apochromatic lens systems use more glass than achromatic. I don't want your chromatic-abberating, spherically distorted, low light transmitting, toy 8 ounce 1-6x scope and neither does anyone else. The sad truth it that when we look at variable optics... they have fixed weight requirements. Lightweight scopes are light because they are junk.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just FYI.. The reticle is now available in Strelok Pro.
View Quote

I emailed Boris and he loaded all the LPv steiner reticle so into strelok+ for me.  Go update and they are there.

Standup dude.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#37]
The PX4 looks great!

I really like my T5Xi.

Keep in mind this is me holding up the back of the rifle and holding my phone up to take a picture.  Clarity is much better than this picture indicates.  It is hard to take pictures through a scope.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:16:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I received mine and took it into the woods to test out before mounting.

Pros:
I could adjust the diopter to an excellent 1x image that my eyes agreed on.
The illumination is great.  Small dot comparable to an aimpoint 2moa, sharper dot than aimpoint.   I could see the dot while pointing towards the sun with blue sky on setting 7 of 11.
It is short and I like the illumination adjustment knob settup
Fairly bright image at dusk (less than zeiss conquest)
I like the tapered crosshairs

Cons:
I could adjust the diopter for a clear view at 1x or 4x, but it is not the same setting (quarter turn difference)
4x is not all that clear to me.  Not dark, but not sharp (I think acogs are clear)

Conclusion:
I'm sending it back and not even mounting it.
4x was not clear enough for me and having to adjust the diopter when changing magnification was aggravating.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:23:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The PX4 looks great!

I really like my T5Xi.

http://i.imgur.com/9TPAM0A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ldHPkxo.jpg
View Quote

My son would appreciate the train tracks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:02:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Cons:
I could adjust the diopter for a clear view at 1x or 4x, but it is not the same setting (quarter turn difference)
4x is not all that clear to me.  Not dark, but not sharp (I think acogs are clear)

Conclusion:
4x was not clear enough for me and having to adjust the diopter when changing magnification was aggravating.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get it working for you.
I adjust my diopters the same way as Leupold suggests. Spin up to max magnification, point at the sky and adjust till clear. Then look away and look again quickly to ensure that it's still clear. Then I spin it back down to 1X to ensure that I like the FOV. If not, I adjust the diopter again, look away and spin back up to max to fine tune.
Technically, it's more important that it's clearer at 4X since you're target focused on 1X anyways.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I have not mounted mine yet but spent some time playing with it last night / this am. Most of my shooting is fast / up close (0-50) at a local 2 gun match at which I use an Aimpoint M3.  This is my first magnification as I wanted to get into some more medium distance / precision shooting. I also have a slight astigmatism and while I love Aimpoints and do well for what they are for - I've also looked forward to having a sharp reticle.

All that to give you some background that I'm a newbie when it comes to scopes and my opinion shouldn't carry as the same weight as some of the more experienced scope users posting in this thread.  

Pros:
- I can tell from handling this scope I could easily shoot this as a red dot.  The image is so big, wide and flat, that even indoors at close objects I found it be up to the task.  For the record, I'm very sensitive to fisheye/magnification in red dots. While there is some with P4Xi (since there is no true 1x LPV), it's not noticeable / a distraction to me like it is in some red dots like the SRS or MRO.
- Definitely daylight bright ... I'll come back to this
- Capped turrets.  And they seemed "clicky" with not much mush.  Since they are capped ... not a big deal.  Zero at 200, set it and forget it.
- Overall the unit seems to be really high quality and well made
- Steiner warranty.  I'll take their word at how tough it is (shockproof, fog proof, submersible/waterproof) but it's good to know the warranty is there and purported toughness of the scope.
- Price ($521 shipped).  

Cons:
- Zoom ring is very stiff, although smooth (this can be corrected with a zoom lever)
- The illumination knob is not clicky and not positive - but mushy.  It's worse than the adjustment knobs (which are passable).  This is the only real negative IMO.  The further you get from the center "off", the less the illumination knob and the hash mark line up.  Changing illumination levels quicku would be cumbersome and take extra time - and likely assisted by visually checking the knob as you turn.  Compared to my Aimpoint M3 knob - it kinda sucks.  It may not be a big issue if you don't need to adjust the illumination often.  I hope its something Steiner could adjust perhaps?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#42]
The NV settings on my T5Xi are not visible to the naked eye.  Not the bottom 3 or 4 anyway.

Turrets and illumination adjustment on my T5Xi are inferior to my Vortex razor.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The PX4 looks great!

I really like my T5Xi.

http://i.imgur.com/9TPAM0A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ldHPkxo.jpg

My boys are nuts about trains.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I adjust my diopters the same way as Leupold suggests. Spin up to max magnification, point at the sky and adjust till clear. Then look away and look again quickly to ensure that it's still clear. Then I spin it back down to 1X to ensure that I like the FOV. If not, I adjust the diopter again, look away and spin back up to max to fine tune.
Technically, it's more important that it's clearer at 4X since you're target focused on 1X anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cons:

Conclusion:

I changed my mind about sending it back.  I am going to use it and test it more on my ar.  I think I can work off of the best 1x diopter setting when shooting at 4x.  It may not work out on the ar, but it would be useful on a bolt action guide gun where the class of people I deal with do not like to see semi-autos.  I need to get it mounted up right, the taped up bubble wrap on the red rider is pretty good though.
My lowest illumination setting is visible to naked eye.
Setting 7 is aimpoint usable bright in full sun against a white background at 100 yards and 10 yards.
I do not know how others illuminate, but you can see a laser like beam shining down to where the dot is on highest settings in a dark room.  Not an issue at all, but neat and would like to know the mechanics of what is projecting the dot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I changed my mind about sending it back.  I am going to use it and test it more on my ar.  I think I can work off of the best 1x diopter setting when shooting at 4x.  It may not work out on the ar, but it would be useful on a bolt action guide gun where the class of people I deal with do not like to see semi-autos.  I need to get it mounted up right, the taped up bubble wrap on the red rider is pretty good though.
Setting 7 is aimpoint usable bright in full sun against a white background at 100 yards and 10 yards.
I do not know how others illuminate, but you can see a laser like beam shining down to where the dot is on highest settings in a dark room.  Not an issue at all, but neat and would like to know the mechanics of what is projecting the dot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cons:

Conclusion:

Mine is just like yours re above.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#46]
just got mine in from DSG.  I think it will be welcome addition to the lineup.  I did not receive the throw lever that was supposed to be included in the package, though.  Been calling them, but stuck on hold listening to music for 20m so I finally hung up.  
My first two brightness settings are not visible to the naked eye.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Did you order item 5202 for $579?  If yes, it should be in the white box in its own separate plastic bag,along with the manual and extra battery.  Otherwise, it's a packaging mess up from Steiner as those boxes are sealed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Did you order item 5202 for $579?  If yes, it should be in the white box in its own separate plastic bag,along with the manual and extra battery.  Otherwise, it's a packaging mess up from Steiner as those boxes are sealed.
View Quote

Steiner inspection tape was cut. Extra battery was in the little bag by itself. Installed battery was dead as a door nail. No throw lever to be found. I suspect I may have gotten a shelf demo....? If anyone would answer the phone I'm sure it would be an easy fix
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Steiner inspection tape was cut. Extra battery was in the little bag by itself. Installed battery was dead as a door nail. No throw lever to be found. I suspect I may have gotten a shelf demo....? If anyone would answer the phone I'm sure it would be an easy fix
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the only one that the DSG sells is the 5202 model.

At least when I checked their site that was the only one they had.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Yeah, it's the 5202. The box even says "free throw lever inside!"
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top