BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Question for those using the Aero Precision Extended mount: Is there sufficient room under the P4Xi's ocular to mount MBUS? Thx!...

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I would let this play out. This might be as simple as the ocular lens being out of focus. I had a similar incident during a DMR course where my ocular lens Butler Creek lens cap rotates all the way around and I couldn't see a thing. Removed the cap refocused to the incredible crisp clear view of Schott glass and no issues.
My Steiner now wears Tenebraex lens covers.
Model # UAC015-FCR with adapter ring for Ocular lens
Model # 27MMU0-FCR with adapter for objective lens.
Purchased from MILE HIGH SHOOTING 303-255-9999
milehighshooting.com
Great knowledge and customer service.
View Quote

I should've PM'd you or called Mile High but I ordered these same ones after seeing your suggestion and these do not fit my Steiner P4Xi :(.  Were you referring to a different Steiner scope?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the military 1-4 Steiner, but it is the same dimensions.   The ocular lens adapter for the tenebraex was a really tight fit. They are super helpful at mile high give them a call.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the military 1-4 Steiner, but it is the same dimensions.   The ocular lens adapter for the tenebraex was a really tight fit. They are super helpful at mile high give them a call.
View Quote

Hmm, it definitely doesn't fit the P4Xi; very loose on both ocular and objective lens'.  I called Mile High and the guy on the phone said they don't have anything to fit the P4Xi. Bummer...
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I apologize. Sorry all. I will fix my post to be more specific.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I apologize. Sorry all. I will fix my post to be more specific.
View Quote

Ah no worries, more due diligence was needed on my part; I should've asked you or called Mile High before buying. I was pumped to have better fitting scope covers
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
So far I'm quite happy with mine!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Finally got mine in today from botach.  The throw lever wasnt installed. I lined the trow lever up to the 2x setting that looked like the best place to keep the lever from rotating underneath the scope. Those that have it mounted does that sound right?  My turrets seem ok if I hadnt read on here they were mushy. I probably never even noticed anything. If they are mushy is by just a tad or at least on mine. Overall I like it just need to decide on a mount. Sorta shying away from aero seems those are a bitch to get level. Thinking maybe swfa or primary arms.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I  went with the Vortex defender lens caps, if i find the receipt i'll post the part#s,
if not just measure the scope and look on their site. They are very nice covers.
Ah no worries, more due diligence was needed on my part; I should've asked you or called Mile High before buying. I was pumped to have better fitting scope covers
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's the part#s from B&H camera,VODFC024+VOE10, they were well under 50.00 for the pair + B @ H ships fast and is GTG.
I  went with the Vortex defender lens caps, if i find the receipt i'll post the part#s,
if not just measure the scope and look on their site. They are very nice covers.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the information, I'll try these out!
FYI model information:
Ocular
B&H #VOE10
MFG #E-10
Objective
B&H #VODFCO24
MFG #O-24
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Finally got mine in today from botach.  The throw lever wasnt installed. I lined the trow lever up to the 2x setting that looked like the best place to keep the lever from rotating underneath the scope. Those that have it mounted does that sound right?  My turrets seem ok if I hadnt read on here they were mushy. I probably never even noticed anything. If they are mushy is by just a tad or at least on mine. Overall I like it just need to decide on a mount. Sorta shying away from aero seems those are a bitch to get level. Thinking maybe swfa or primary arms.
View Quote

I set my throw lever to the 2.5x setting. Rotates from the 10 O'clock to 4 O'clock positions. Others may prefer something else, but for me it seems functional.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#13]
DSG Arms has the PX4 with throw lever and ADM Recon mount for $599. Like getting the mount for $140 if you purchased the scope and lever for $459 from Botach.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
DSG Arms has the PX4 with throw lever and ADM Recon mount for $599. Like getting the mount for $140 if you purchased the scope and lever for $459 from Botach.
View Quote

I came to post this, not a bad deal if you plan to use an ADM mount.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Question for those using the Aero Precision Extended mount: Is there sufficient room under the P4Xi's ocular to mount MBUS? Thx!...
Tomac
View Quote

To answer my own question, yes there is (barely). First impressions are very positive, can't wait to hit the range and try it out!

Tomac

ETA: Regarding mushy W/E adjustments, mine are mushy in one direction only.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I also installed the Vortex Defender flip caps

Eyepiece:  Defender Flip Cap Eyepiece (40-46 mm)   ....    Part # E-10
Objective: Vortex Optics Defender Flip-Up Rifle Scope Cover Objective (28-31mm)   ....    Part # O-24

I used the Ultralight 30mm SPR Scope Mount for my P4XI.  This is a great mount (IMO).

For the money ... This has been my favorite optic to date.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Made it through to the range this afternoon. Range conditions weren't ideal (24F, bright/sunny, everything covered in ice or up to 6" of snow). Benches were all taken, had to use an improvised standing rest to sight-in the Steiner.

Sight-in was quick & easy, noticed the slight mushiness of the windage/elevation adjustments but it wasn't detrimental. Final 5-shot sight-in group at 4x using 55gr Wolf Gold at 50yds measured .75"x1".
Since this AR was never meant to be a precision instrument, I'm very happy w/the results. I'll double-check the zero & group size at longer ranges when the weather improves.

The Steiner was a joy to use after I adjusted the diopter for my astigmatism. Nearly as fast at 1x on close-in targets as an RDS (I expect this to improve w/use), much more accurate than an RDS for me, especially at 100yds (farthest I shot today). Cheek weld & head position are of course more critical than w/an RDS, but I never had problems finding the reticle quickly (and this w/o illumination, not needed in bright sunlight against a snow-covered background). As a test, the reticle was still bright at the highest setting despite the snow/sunlight.

So far I have no real complaints about the Steiner and the negatives of the weight & required cheek weld & head position are far outweighed by the increase in accuracy at all ranges tested (YMMV).

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Made it through to the range this afternoon. Range conditions weren't ideal (24F, bright/sunny, everything covered in ice or up to 6" of snow). Benches were all taken, had to use an improvised standing rest to sight-in the Steiner.

Sight-in was quick & easy, noticed the slight mushiness of the windage/elevation adjustments but it wasn't detrimental. Final 5-shot sight-in group at 4x using 55gr Wolf Gold at 50yds measured .75"x1".
Since this AR was never meant to be a precision instrument, I'm very happy w/the results. I'll double-check the zero & group size at longer ranges when the weather improves.

The Steiner was a joy to use after I adjusted the diopter for my astigmatism. Nearly as fast at 1x on close-in targets as an RDS (I expect this to improve w/use), much more accurate than an RDS for me, especially at 100yds (farthest I shot today). Cheek weld & head position are of course more critical than w/an RDS, but I never had problems finding the reticle quickly (and this w/o illumination, not needed in bright sunlight against a snow-covered background). As a test, the reticle was still bright at the highest setting despite the snow/sunlight.

So far I have no real complaints about the Steiner and the negatives of the weight & required cheek weld & head position are far outweighed by the increase in accuracy at all ranges tested (YMMV).

Tomac
View Quote

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feed back. Sunny and snow covered is the perfect conditions I look for to determine of a Optic is truly daylight bright, and based on what you experienced, it is.

I am still on the fence for the newer Burris Model 201002 model with the 5 x, but Its heavier then the Steiner and I'm struggling with the extra cost.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#19]
How does this compare to the Strike Eagle (disregarding the 5-6x)?  I like the SE but at 1x there's definitely magnification (some expected) and edges aren't as clear as other glass.  Also, I can get a VX-6 1-6x MG firedot for around $800 new would that be a much better upgrade from the P4Xi?
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How does this compare to the Strike Eagle (disregarding the 5-6x)?  I like the SE but at 1x there's definitely magnification (some expected) and edges aren't as clear as other glass.  Also, I can get a VX-6 1-24 MG firedot for around $800 new would that be a much better upgrade from the P4Xi?
View Quote

My only experience with the Strike Eagle was looking through it at the store a few times when I was looking to add a variable scope. One day,  I happened to see the P4Xi. To me the clarity between the SE and P4Xi was a night/day difference, especially around the edges. The visibility of the P4Xi center dot was another factor why I held out and found a good price for the P4Xi. I was willing to trade the additional power of the SE to get the optical clarity of the Steiner. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My only experience with the Strike Eagle was looking through it at the store a few times when I was looking to add a variable scope. One day,  I happened to see the PX4i. To me the clarity between the SE and PX4i was a night/day difference, especially around the edges. The visibility of the PX4i's center dot was another factor why I held out and found a good price for the PX4i. I was willing to trade the additional power of the SE to get the optical clarity of the Steiner. Anyone else have a similar experience?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does this compare to the Strike Eagle (disregarding the 5-6x)?  I like the SE but at 1x there's definitely magnification (some expected) and edges aren't as clear as other glass.  Also, I can get a VX-6 1-24 MG firedot for around $800 new would that be a much better upgrade from the P4Xi?

My only experience with the Strike Eagle was looking through it at the store a few times when I was looking to add a variable scope. One day,  I happened to see the PX4i. To me the clarity between the SE and PX4i was a night/day difference, especially around the edges. The visibility of the PX4i's center dot was another factor why I held out and found a good price for the PX4i. I was willing to trade the additional power of the SE to get the optical clarity of the Steiner. Anyone else have a similar experience?

A 4X with superior optical quality will outperform an inferior 6X any day of the week.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A 4X with superior optical quality will outperform an inferior 6X any day of the week.
View Quote

So much this.

A buddy has a 1-6 SE, becasue he HAD to have 6x for 300.00.  He saw my p4xi this past weekend and couldnt believe I paid 450. I hate the strike eagle. brown, blurry glass and a fat reticle. No. Not for 2x. Not now, not ever.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does this compare to the Strike Eagle (disregarding the 5-6x)?  I like the SE but at 1x there's definitely magnification (some expected) and edges aren't as clear as other glass.  Also, I can get a VX-6 1-6x MG firedot for around $800 new would that be a much better upgrade from the P4Xi?

Thanks for feedback, guys! I'm on the fence between the P4Xi and VX-6, just not sure if I want to drop the extra few bills on the Leupold.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone got a line on a After Christmas or New Year sale on the the P4xi with throw lever???

I'm thinking I'm going to Fo....
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anyone got a line on a After Christmas or New Year sale on the the P4xi with throw lever???

I'm thinking I'm going to Fo....
View Quote
botach still has it for $459.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#26]
How does the P4Xi 1-4 stack up against the Trijicon Accupower 1x4?  These are my two options.  Anyone have first hand experience with both that can chime in?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:17:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How does the P4Xi 1-4 stack up against the Trijicon Accupower 1x4?  These are my two options.  Anyone have first hand experience with both that can chime in?
View Quote

They have been compared quite a bit.  The biggest differences are the P4Xi is daylight bright, a more simple reticle, and $200 or so cheaper.  The AccuPower turrets have a cleaner, less mushy click to them and a built in ocular adjustment handle.  

Both have clean glass and great names along with strong customer service.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They have been compared quite a bit.  The biggest differences are the P4Xi is daylight bright, a more simple reticle, and $200 or so cheaper.  The AccuPower turrets have a cleaner, less mushy click to them and a built in ocular adjustment handle.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a tr24. I was strongly considering an accupower for my next 1-4. I like the reticle better. If it was daylight bright, I'd have gotten it. It isn't. I got the steiner, saved a couple hundered bucks, and I like it a lot. If you want a fast 1x daylight bright reticle, get the steiner.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Sounds like the Steiner is the winner.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I just pulled the trigger on the DSG deal they have going.  It'll be going on my DDM4V11 for now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well I just pulled the trigger on the DSG deal they have going.  It'll be going on my DDM4V11 for now.
View Quote

Pictures when mounted please
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Pictures when mounted please
View Quote

Yes sir!
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I bought one for use in 3-gun on my pistol caliber carbine.  Brightest dot I've seen on a 1-4x variable and it's only $500 with a 12% off code from optics planet. Which I have this week.  Shoot me an email I've you need one.
View Quote

Come with the throw lever?
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Just got mine in today from DSG.  Super fast shipping from TX to PA.  It's an overcast day here in PA so can't comment on daylight brightness but it looks super bright on highest settings.  Glass looks clear with very little edge distortion.  Definitely not a true 1x but a lot better then most 1x scopes, I can look through with both eyes open without any straining.  Turrets don't seem mushy to me.  My only complaint is the illumination knob......indicator mark doesn't line up exactly with setting and the turns are a little soft, not very positive.  Otherwise, this is an upgrade from the SE I had on my DD.  Some pics mounted:

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just got mine in today from DSG.  Super fast shipping from TX to PA.  It's an overcast day here in PA so can't comment on daylight brightness but it looks super bright on highest settings.  Glass looks clear with very little edge distortion.  Definitely not a true 1x but a lot better then most 1x scopes, I can look through with both eyes open without any straining.  Turrets don't seem mushy to me.  My only complaint is the illumination knob......indicator mark doesn't line up exactly with setting and the turns are a little soft, not very positive.  Otherwise, this is an upgrade from the SE I had on my DD.  Some pics mounted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/theHULK9281/3EDDABB3-6372-4261-BA02-0D0EAB1DEF3C_zpsfz49c8un.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/theHULK9281/D66FE0A4-5F6F-4479-85DB-B72D010F34EE_zps4nxxfxgz.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/theHULK9281/749C7BE7-F8B6-42B4-8021-A2640AE0639F_zpsdgebjrmu.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/theHULK9281/BCD616EA-5FFC-46A0-9663-AF54679ABF15_zpsthzeqnge.jpg
View Quote

You have an awesome rifle pair.  I think a BCM recce is my next go to
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You have an awesome rifle pair.  I think a BCM recce is my next go to
View Quote

I absolutely love the BCM, the quality is top notch.  Paired with the T2/Scalarworks mount it's an extremely lightweight setup.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:01:00 AM EDT
[#39]
For those who don't have a throw lever , I'm using the switchview universal model and it works well. I haven't had it slip yet, and it's around 25 dollars.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#40]
My 2nd P4Xi arrived from DSG Arms yesterday and it's identical to my first except the bell is significantly stiffer to rotate when changing magnification (throw lever is definitely a must-have). First is a little stiff but not bad, second is very stiff, I'm hoping it loosens up over time.

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My 2nd P4Xi arrived from DSG Arms yesterday and it's identical to my first except the bell is significantly stiffer to rotate when changing magnification (throw lever is definitely a must-have). First is a little stiff but not bad, second is very stiff, I'm hoping it loosens up over time.

Tomac
View Quote

Does your illumination knob have any issues like I stated above?  Soft, not very positive clicks and settings don't line up exactly with indicator mark.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does your illumination knob have any issues like I stated above?  Soft, not very positive clicks and settings don't line up exactly with indicator mark.
View Quote

Clicks on both of mine are positive enough, but not as much as I'd prefer (no big deal to me). On one the settings line up exactly, and on the other they don't (again, not a big deal to me but YMMV).
I'll gladly take these minor issues to get this 1x & optic quality/clarity at this price point.

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Clicks on both of mine are positive enough, but not as much as I'd prefer (no big deal to me). On one the settings line up exactly, and on the other they don't (again, not a big deal to me but YMMV).
I'll gladly take these minor issues to get this 1x & optic quality/clarity at this price point.

Tomac
View Quote

Thanks for feedback.  And I definitely agree great optic for the price point.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Tomac
View Quote

You're just like me.  When you find something you like you can't just have one
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always have two 'go-to' AR's that are identically configured. After testing my first P4Xi, I had to pick up a second for the duplicate rifle.
Of course, it doesn't help that I foolishly made a $50 bet w/my wife some years ago that the Aimpoint CompM4 was 'my perfect optic' and that I'd never change optics again (she's currently $700 richer, that's how many times I've experimented w/different optics since the original bet). The upside is that she never complains when I get a new optic!

Speaking of foolish, I just got back from a rough sight-in of my second P4Xi. Why foolish? 7 degrees F w/everything covered in ice/snow (expected to be -14F later this week).
Can't wait for the weather to improve so I can finalize the sight-ins and see what this setup can do out to 500yds!

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Me three.   Just got my second one and mounted in an ADM mount.

Upon firing it up, my red dot looks like three little red dots in a horizontal line. My first one is perfect, this one looks pretty bad. 

I am trying to take some pictures, but none of them are coming out. For comparison, the first one is a perfect round dot  at most all brightnesses (cranked all the way up gets washed out, but don't envision ever using it on its brightest setting).

this looks like three dots touching one another in a horizontal line and upon turning up brightness, it looks worse.

Anyone else have any issues with the dot?
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Me three.   Just got my second one and mounted in an ADM mount.
 Upon firing it up, my red dot looks like three little red dots in a horizontal line. My first one is perfect, this one looks pretty bad. 
I am trying to take some pictures, but none of them are coming out. For comparison, the first one is a perfect round dot  at most all brightnesses (cranked all the way up gets washed out, but don't envision ever using it on its brightest setting).
this looks like three dots touching one another in a horizontal line and upon turning up brightness, it looks worse.
Anyone else have any issues with the dot?
View Quote

Sorry to hear that, both of mine are gtg.

Tomac
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#48]
I have the military version of this optic. Not sure how they compare optically as the military version seems the be a bit longer.

In any case I was shooting next to a 1-6 Razor yesterday morning. 0900 with the sun just behind the steel targets, flare was extreme. The razor was basically unusable and was very difficult to pick out the targets. The Steiner handled it beautifully. Going between the two scopes was like night and day. No im not talking about the strike eagle, this was the gen 2 razor.

I had owned a Razor briefly and while it was a good optic, I like the Steiner more. At 1x the Razor wins hands down, however at higher mag I preferred the Steiner. 4x vs 4x the Steiner could resolve more detail and had a better overall image. 4x vs 6x the Razor could provide slightly more detail due to the higher mag but at the sacrifice of FOV.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I always have two 'go-to' AR's that are identically configured. After testing my first P4Xi, I had to pick up a second for the duplicate rifle.
Of course, it doesn't help that I foolishly made a $50 bet w/my wife some years ago that the Aimpoint CompM4 was 'my perfect optic' and that I'd never change optics again (she's currently $700 richer, that's how many times I've experimented w/different optics since the original bet). The upside is that she never complains when I get a new optic!

Speaking of foolish, I just got back from a rough sight-in of my second P4Xi. Why foolish? 7 degrees F w/everything covered in ice/snow (expected to be -14F later this week).
Can't wait for the weather to improve so I can finalize the sight-ins and see what this setup can do out to 500yds!

Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

You're an optic hoarder like me
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:24:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You're an optic hoarder like me
View Quote

Me too.

I go through them like underwear sometimes, and I like to do the same thing with keeping two of my ARs Duplicated.
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top