Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2016 11:54:53 PM EDT
Hey all,  I already have a great build for my 16" rifle with an aimpoint pro.  I have experience shooting an ACOG 3x optic and know the value!  But, that was long ago and I can't afford to buy a new one.

I'm looking for an optic that will allow me to shoot out to 800 yards. The new rifle will be outfitted for long range primarily and thus, I want to put a scope on it that will function reliably out to that range.

Would like one that is around $350 to $500. Has variable magnification from 1x to whatever is appropriate for my needs. Perhaps a front focal plane optic??

My need for distance is at odds with the feeling that I do not want to give up the ability to still utilize as a CQB weapon. Having had and shot so much with a compact ACOG I remember the value of the BAC and feel like I at least want an option to be able to use an optic in a limited fashion up close if needed.

Lastly, beyond the ACOG I have practically no experience with magnified optics so I really know very little. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 2:21:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I got my Burris XTR II 1-5x for $575 lightly used. Here's an article I wrote where I used it to shoot dude-sized steel targets out to 843 yards with a 12.5" SBR and 75gr match ammo:

http://gunpositive.com/new-ar-15-build-12-5-centurion-arms-barrel-with-a-burris-xtr-ii-1-5x-scope/

I think it's the best value for 1-nx scopes out there. It's great for CQB and decent for longer distance shooting. At 800 yards I do feel that glass quality in a 1-nx scope becomes important especially for spotting impacts and splash and I don't really think I'd want to get any cheaper than the Burris XTR II for that. On our site if you're curious I also wrote an article on the Leupold Mk6 1-6x, which I feel is the best 1-nx scope for long range, and another article comparing it to other 1-nx scopes.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
For that distance, you'll want quite a bit of upper end power, something that tops out at 14x-18x.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For that distance, you'll want quite a bit of upper end power, something that tops out at 14x-18x.
View Quote

Thanks Nick,  appreciate it. I'm not a distance shooter, never have been, so this is really all new to me. Inside 100 yards my whole career so this is all greek to me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I would take a look at some of the Vortex offerings. Maybe a Viper or a Diamondback HP.

As for CQB worries... I would think about offset irons or BUIs with a high quality QD scope mount.

Its hard to get a lot of magnification out of a scope that also provides 1x... 1-4x and 1-6x are about all you'll see out of most 1x scopes.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#5]
On that budget the 3-10x40mm Weaver Grand Slam Tactical would make sense.  While not a close engagement optic, it is an incredible value for precise shot placement at varying distances from 50 yards on out to at least 600-700 yards.  Japanese optics and construction.  Very clear, sharp and good ability to resolve detail.  MRAD .1 mil per click, accurate and repeatable turrets and mil dot reticle.  Currently $350, I believe.  Often as low as $300.  Highly regarded here.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Vortex HST 4-16x44
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a little out of your price range, but I would recommend looking in to the Bushnell Elite 6500 scopes.  I have one on my hunting rifle, and I love it.

The reason I recommend it is because of the wide range of magnification.  You probably won't find a 1x optic that will effectively reach out to 800 yards, but with Bushnell's wide range of magnification, you can get close.

I have the 2.5 - 16x, but you would probably want the 4.5 - 30x.  

I haven't babied this scope at all.  It was actually ran over by a Polaris Ranger last hunting season, with no issues.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't need an optic w/ a 12x to 16x magnification power on it.  US snipers use a fixed 10x power scope and are expected/able to consistently make shots past 1,000 yds with it.

A scope w/ 6x-8x at the max end magnification will be suitable/sufficient out to 500-800 yds. A scope w/ 10x power at the max end of magnification should be plenty for 600-800yd shots.

If you want to still be able to use it for CQB/self-defense purposes, you will definitely need a scope w/ 1x-2.5x at the bottom end of your magnification range.

Also.... what is the purpose of shooting out to 600-800yds w/ your 5.56?  Target shooting? Hunting? You will not be able to hunt much of anything past 500yds w/ a 5.56 b/c the ballistics fall off dramatically past 500 yds w/ almost all 5.56 bullets/loads.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]

I use a 3.5-10 Mark4  on my 18" that I shoot over 1000yds. 6-8x mag would be enough for 800yds.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Primary Arms 1-8.  There's a $379 version coming soon and a premium offering available now.  You could also go with the Primary Arms 1-6 or the Vortex 1-6 for around $300.  Vortex 2.5-10x32 can be found for around $500 if you look.  

http://www.primaryarms.com/pa1-8x24sfp-acss-556/p/pa1-8x24sfp-acss-5.56/

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-platinum-series-18x24mm-riflescope-with-patented-acss-556-545-308-reticle/p/pa1-8x24ffp-acss/

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#11]
You could always get a 45 degree mount and add a red dot to your rig for up close.

Then get whatever power scope you want.

Just an option.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You could always get a 45 degree mount and add a red dot to your rig for up close.

Just an option.
View Quote

That's what I did, didn't mention it because of OPs stated budget.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You don't need an optic w/ a 12x to 16x magnification power on it.  US snipers use a fixed 10x power scope and are expected/able to consistently make shots past 1,000 yds with it.

A scope w/ 6x-8x at the max end magnification will be suitable/sufficient out to 500-800 yds. A scope w/ 10x power at the max end of magnification should be plenty for 600-800yd shots.

If you want to still be able to use it for CQB/self-defense purposes, you will definitely need a scope w/ 1x-2.5x at the bottom end of your magnification range.

Also.... what is the purpose of shooting out to 600-800yds w/ your 5.56?  Target shooting? Hunting? You will not be able to hunt much of anything past 500yds w/ a 5.56 b/c the ballistics fall off dramatically past 500 yds w/ almost all 5.56 bullets/loads.
View Quote

Making "hits" is entirely different than the shooting many do.  6x worth of scope would be just enough to piss me off.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd get the Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol 30mm Riflescope
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just an option.

Guess it would toss him over that limit pretty quick.

Depends on the quality I suppose. But, could always throw irons on 45 degree offset mounts.

Some $20 mounts on Amazon and a set of lower end flip ups. Would be good for up close.

Then maybe a Primary Arms 4-14x44mm.

Just throwing out options.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Making "hits" is entirely different than the shooting many do.  6x worth of scope would be just enough to piss me off.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why I asked what the OP's shooting needs & purposes were. It sounds like (based on his statements) the OP is unfamiliar w/ distances past 100yds - which is perfectly ok, you got to start somewhere. And, he wants something versatile which could be used for both CQB and medium to long range shooting (300-600+yds).

Based on the OP's budget, needs/desires, and the cartridge being used.... I'd go w/ something like this - Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 w/ BDC reticle. This is a nice, light-weight, versatile budget scope w/ good glass & warranty. It is suitable for medium/long range shooting up to 600 yds....  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HYRGU56/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-diamondback-hp-2-8x32mm-riflescope.html

Unless you're shooting small game like prairie dogs past distances of 100yds.... it is unlikely you'll need more than this.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Primary Arms 1-8.  There's a $379 version coming soon and a premium offering available now.  You could also go with the Primary Arms 1-6 or the Vortex 1-6 for around $300.  Vortex 2.5-10x32 can be found for around $500 if you look.  

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-platinum-series-18x24mm-riflescope-with-patented-acss-556-545-308-reticle/p/pa1-8x24ffp-acss/
View Quote

This looks cool. It says $1,300 one is FFP. Is the $380 version FFP as well...?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Nvmnd. Says 2nd Focal Plane.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#19]
weaver 3x10x40 tactical from midway it usually goes on sale every month or so for 299 . great optic,  japanese glass excellent controls . its not a front focal plane optic and I dont know what use that would be anyway with an optic under 10x . just my opinion but anything you need to range will have you cranked up to 10x anyway . 3x will be low enough for 25 yds if your cqb needs are any closer use your side arm . dont over think it
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#20]
A 3-9 or a 3-10 would be solid choices as well. Here's a 10-12 yr old kid hitting a square gong at 300yds 15 times in a row - the kid is awesome lol. He's using a Primary Arms 1-6x24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYiIbEXpJHs

Just shows how long/far your magnification can go....
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 works for me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is why I asked what the OP's shooting needs & purposes were. It sounds like (based on his statements) the OP is unfamiliar w/ distances past 100yds - which is perfectly ok, you got to start somewhere. And, he wants something versatile which could be used for both CQB and medium to long range shooting (300-600+yds).

Based on the OP's budget, needs/desires, and the cartridge being used.... I'd go w/ something like this - Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 w/ BDC reticle. This is a nice, light-weight, versatile budget scope w/ good glass & warranty. It is suitable for medium/long range shooting up to 600 yds....  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HYRGU56/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Unless you're shooting small game like prairie dogs past distances of 100yds.... it is unlikely you'll need more than this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, great post and a lot of help. You are right on target!
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd suggest checking out the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 FFP MIL/MIL scope, they can be had for around $330 from OpticsPlanet with a 10% off code. I have 2 of them and 1 more on the way for my 6.5 Grendel. They are a newer company but the optics are great for the money, the glass is very clear, I'm very pleased with them so far. Also the warranty is just as good as Vortex's.

My two on my long range AR-15 and my Ruger Precision Rifle:

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, the 1-8x is available now for $380 or so.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SFP
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Great choices being mentioned here.  If the rifle is more general purpose and not a dedicated bench gun or long range true precision build, perhsps the best two choices would be:

Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm with FireDot TMR reticle, or if budget conscious, the non illuminated Midway exclusive Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam Tactical.

I have both scopes.  Each is MRAD with accurate tracking .1 mil per click turrets and matching MRAD reticles.  The Leupold motion activated FireDot can be made daylight bright when needed and battery life is insane.  I'm well over three years on the original battery.

If the rifle is for bench work, it needs a fine reticle and 1/8 MOA per click turrets.  Put the money in the glass, adjustable objective, and tracking.  Avoid illumination, FFP and such.

Weaver T-24 or T-36 or a good 6-24x50 type variable.  I use the latter.  Changing power can help with mirage.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#27]
If you really want to understand long distance shooting, ballistics, and optics you should check out Tiborasaurus Rex's YouTube Channel and his Sniper 101 series.  He's a bit long-winded and technical, but its a good place to start in order to understand the fundamentals if you are unfamiliar with shooting at longer distances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwG-D0HjCBQ&index=1&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

Don't try to digest it all at once. Think of it as an encyclopedia sort of.  Good luck & enjoy shooting your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Trying to revive my thread. So, after much searching, researching and looking through as much glass as I can, I've brought it down to two choices:

1. Viper HS 4-16x44, cost is the issue, is it worth spending the extra money over this one?

2. Crossfire II 4-12x44

Reasons I got to these two: eye relief it turns out is huge for me and these seem to really fit the bill for me. Not so concerned with a lit reticle or other higher end features. Given the limits of the setup I'm putting it on, I think either of these from a power perspective will more than work.

My big Q remains, is it worth spending the extra money for the Viper???
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Trying to revive my thread. So, after much searching, researching and looking through as much glass as I can, I've brought it down to two choices:

1. Viper HS 4-16x44, cost is the issue, is it worth spending the extra money over this one?

2. Crossfire II 4-12x44

Reasons I got to these two: eye relief it turns out is huge for me and these seem to really fit the bill for me. Not so concerned with a lit reticle or other higher end features. Given the limits of the setup I'm putting it on, I think either of these from a power perspective will more than work.

View Quote
YES. The Viper series is a big step up from the Crossfire series.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I recently got a Viper 2.5-10x, and I like the scope alot. The glass and image is clear. More important to me is the very reasonable eyebox. At 2.5 the field of view is very good, and with the good eyebox, you can pick up the reticle immediately for close range use. Even at 10x, the eye position is still very reasonable. I'd recommend the scope.

It is asking alot to have a scope that is ideal for close range out to 800 yards. For an area with close shots in heavy woods, I'd lean towards a 1-6x, since for very close range nothing is faster than 1x. But once you are trying to optimize a set up for mid to longer range, then the 3-10 or 4-14s are a better choice. But the 4-14 will be at a big disadvantage inside of 50 yards.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

SFP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SFP

Variable scopes under 12 to 14x, and especially 10x and under magnification commonly are SFP because the reticles usually work better.  When used at longer range such scopes are turned up to maximum power, anyway.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I have the Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm with FireDot on my 20" SPR/DMR thing, and I really like it so far.  Haven't shot that far with it yet though.  Part of my choice was that I got a deal on it, but part of it was that I was trying to keep some of the weight down with a very heavy Stealth barrel.  I installed it in an Aero mount because it won't be moving, and they are very low weight.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I use a 3.5-10 Mark4  on my 18" that I shoot over 1000yds. 6-8x mag would be enough for 800yds.
View Quote

any one can shoot 1000 yards but do you hit anything other than dirt? 10x seems a bit lacking.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

any one can shoot 1000 yards but do you hit anything other than dirt? 10x seems a bit lacking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The USMC used a 10x scope for decades and only recently moved to 3-12.  The regularly train at well over 1000 meters.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hey all,  I already have a great build for my 16" rifle with an aimpoint pro.  I have experience shooting an ACOG 3x optic and know the value!  But, that was long ago and I can't afford to buy a new one.

I'm looking for an optic that will allow me to shoot out to 800 yards. The new rifle will be outfitted for long range primarily and thus, I want to put a scope on it that will function reliably out to that range.

Would like one that is around $350 to $500. Has variable magnification from 1x to whatever is appropriate for my needs. Perhaps a front focal plane optic??

My need for distance is at odds with the feeling that I do not want to give up the ability to still utilize as a CQB weapon. Having had and shot so much with a compact ACOG I remember the value of the BAC and feel like I at least want an option to be able to use an optic in a limited fashion up close if needed.

Lastly, beyond the ACOG I have practically no experience with magnified optics so I really know very little. Any advice would be much appreciated.
View Quote

You want to be able to hit a man sized target out to 800yds and still be good to go for inside the house and yard at night?

I would look at the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 and put it in a decent mount...you will also need a good white light.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#37]
The Primary Arms 4x14x44 First Focal Plane scope mentioned earlier is a great value.  I have one on a DD 16" and like it a lot. Mine's a mil-dot reticle with mil/mil turrets. For the money, it is way better than I expected. I have mine in a Burris P.E.P.R. mount and it's very solid.

I'm getting too many rifles to put $500+ glass on all of them, so I thought I would try the PA... I'm really glad I did!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Just remember that the quality of the optical glass must increase with magnification, because magnification increases the effect of impurities, grinding and polishing errors or other imperfections of the glass.  You can get a decent image up to the classic 3-9x or 2.5-10x with 40mm objective lens for reasonable sums.  But when you increase magnification and do not correspondingly increase glass quality (and regrettably price) you just get a bigger image, but one that is less sharp, more distorted, and dimmer at higher magnification.

When you add illumination and exposed turrets to the mix and try to maintain the same budget price point, something has to give.  It is usually degraded glass and turrets that don't track well and illumination that is either not daylight bright or has terrible battery life.

Even 1-6x scopes tend to perform poorly in low light, especially the Chinese ones, not only because of the lower quality glass, but also because they have small objective lenses (typically 24mm)..

There is no perfect scope for all purposes.  The most versatile scopes for general purpose use still tend to be non-illuminated 3-9x40 and 2-7x33 type scopes. They can have very good glass at a budget price, do not have extra bells and whistles that compromise more important features and have large enough objective lenses to perform well in low light without being heavy and bulky.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I just purchased a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 Firedot TMR 30mm scope for $499.00 at a 2nd Amendment rally. A Leupold rep had a table set up and they had $100 knocked off every scope.

This would serve you well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Also, for more money, Sightron sells a 1x7 illuminated 30mm tactical scope that gives you one the best all around scopes for an AR-15.

You can dial the scope down to 1x and turn the illumination on for close range combat style engagements. Turn the illumination off and the power up to 7x for precision work.

Useable 24/7 because of the illuminated reticle.

It's going to cost $700 to $800 plus mounting solutions.

I really like Leupold's VX-R Patrol line of optics and feel you can't go wrong with Made in America with a lifetime warranty. 1.5-5 scopes are great all purpose scopes on an AR.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The two are very, very different scopes.  The $1,300 model is a 34mm premium optic built in Japan, while the cheaper one is a 30mm budget (although a good budget), Chinese optic.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

2. Crossfire II 4-12x44

View Quote

Viper is a step up.... but as many have pointed out, both of these scopes are going to be overkill for your stated use.  Any scope with 4-power being the lowest end of your optic... you can pretty much forget about CQB/self-defense applications.  There a few Viper offerings in the 2.5-10 magnification range including the Viper HS 2.5-10x44.  

A 3-9 or 2-10 magnification range optic would be better suited for the type of all around applications you originally posted.  They might be a little on the pricey side compared to what you were originally looking for.  But the Viper HS 2.5-10x44 (SFP) can be found for under $400.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Viper-2-5-10x44-SFP-Riflescope/dp/B00XD5BZAI
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top