Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2016 12:03:07 AM EDT
I'm thinking about removing my clear lens caps for my T2.  I'm constantly getting smudges on them. They hit my manifier when I deploy them, and they also potentially pop in directions that affect your fov with your weak eye.  I'm thinking about trying to use a tango down cover for an Aimpoint T1.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#1]
it's not meant to be used for anything except an emergency when you don't even have time to remove them.

Otherwise, don't use them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I find it easier to clean/replace if scratch compared to the actual lens. I just leave it up unless it becomes too dirty to see during use. I also don't use a magnifier either, but my front flips down against the rail (won't get snagged that way).
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I've taken mine off.  The way I look at it is:

-  I don't need them on in the safe, the rifles aren't moving around so no chance of scratching the lenses.
-  I don't need them going to the range, the rifles are always in their own padded cases so no chance of scratching the lenses.
-  I don't need them at the range, they'd be flipped down anyway.

So what's the point?  The lenses are recessed into the optic body on the T2 anyway, so there isn't a very big chance of them swiping up against something.  What I did was disassemble the flip up caps so I could leave the little rubber surround on the optic body to protect it from drops, dings, etc.  

FWIW, I also removed them from my issued rifle with an AP Comp M4 years ago and the glass on that optic seems to be perfectly fine after years of carrying it around and it being tossed into vehicles/smacked into shit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I stopped running covers on all my Aimpoints back on 04.... and never looked back.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Those are super annoying.  I ripped 'em off right quick.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:03:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive thrown the covers away for every optic I've ever owned or signed for that wasn't an actual riflescope or thermal.
Even in the shittiest of environments I never had an issue not having a lens cover
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

-  I don't need them on in the safe, the rifles aren't moving around so no chance of scratching the lenses.

-  I don't need them going to the range, the rifles are always in their own padded cases so no chance of scratching the lenses.

So what's the point?  The lenses are recessed into the optic body on the T2 anyway, so there isn't a very big chance of them swiping up against something.  What I did was disassemble the flip up caps so I could leave the little rubber surround on the optic body to protect it from drops, dings, etc.  

FWIW, I also removed them from my issued rifle with an AP Comp M4 years ago and the glass on that optic seems to be perfectly fine after years of carrying it around and it being tossed into vehicles/smacked into shit.
View Quote

That's a good idea I might have to take. New T2 owner here so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's a good idea I might have to take. New T2 owner here so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  I pulled mine off straight away, it looks funky with the thin rim of metal where the caps go sticking out the front and back.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I leave the T2 front cover closed on my HD gun. Easier to see the dot while using my weapon light indoors. I flip it open for normal use.

The rear cover stays open most of the time. Both covers are turned so they open down against the rail.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Might sound kind of odd, but i left only half of the cap on, just the peice that sits on the housing itself to protect the housing. I just popped out the pin that held them together. looks abnormal but i figured the housing of the optic is much more likely to get beat on than the lens.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Left them on and turned them so the covers lie against the rifle when open. I don't use the magnifier as mine rides at 30-degrees next to an ACOG.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top