Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2016 12:54:23 PM EDT
Im trying to put together a SPR build in 6.5 Grendel. Its primary effectiveness is within 500 or so yards but should be able to reach out further with my handloads.

My initial setup was a Weaver 2-10 FFP Tactical scope in a ADM QD mount. Between the scope and mount I was pushing 34+ OZ. No reason to have  2+lb sitting on top of this build.

My Priorities:
-lightweight (19-20 oz MAX, ideally <18oz)
-clear glass
-Under $500-600
-Mildot or similar. Not a fan of BDC esp since im using grendel
-variable zoom for up close quick shots and ability to reach out

Use:
Fighting paper and occasional fruit (as well as finding joy in clover groupings) @ 50-100 yards - weekly
Punch out to 300 yards - about 6 times a year
500 Yard steel shots - 2 to 3x a year
1000 yard steel shots - 1 to 2x per year
Hunt - not on table yet but would like the ability

My current list:
-Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9X mildot. -
Buy once cry once.This seems to be the strongest contender. I like the illumination and the dials seem solid. Only 15.4 OZ***  Downside is no parrallax adjustment. $460
https://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/vx-r-patrol/vx-r-patrol-3-9x40mm-30mm/

-Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42 with MOA reticle.
I can get this for around $300 through my wholesale account. 15.3 OZ
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/fullfield-e1-riflescopes-series/fullfield-e1-riflescope-4.5-14x42mm

-Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 Mildot
Cost is nice - prob around $250 through same deal. Not thrilled about the prostaff reviews in terms of quality.

-Lucid 4-16x44 MOA reticle
$330. I dont think the glass is the clearest but the reticle and illumination are solid. 1/8moa clicks could be nice for punching paper. Heaviest of the group coming in at 19OZ
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Parallax at 9x and lower is too insignificant to merit an adjustment, except on rimfire applications.

The VX-R 3-9x40mm Patrol is your best option.  It was my choice.  The motion activated FireDot and the MRAD turrets and reticle are a great combo of well-thought out and executed features.  The glass is very nice, far better than expected at its price point.

If you don't need an return to zero QD mount, you can save even more weight with the Aero Precision mount, at only 3.3 ounces.

I needed QD and went with a 7.5 ounce Larue LT-104.

If you want to go even lighter with the scope, there is the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40mm with FireDot-G TMR reticle.  The dot is green rather than red.  The turrets and reticle are otherwise the same.  Same motion activation on tbe dot.   Glass is a step down, but still good.  One inch main tube is where most of the weight is saved.  Only 12.4 ounces.

I do recommend the VX-R Patrol for its better optical performance.  It is worth the extra price.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Parallax at 9x and lower is too insignificant to merit an adjustment, except on rimfire applications.

The VX-R 3-9x40mm Patrol is your best option.  It was my choice.  The motion activated FireDot and the MRAD turrets and reticle are a great combo of well-thought out and executed features.  The glass is very nice, far better than expected at its price point.

If you don't need an return to zero QD mount, you can save even more weight with the Aero Precision mount, at only 3.3 ounces.

I needed QD and went with a 7 ounce Larue LT-104.

If you want to go even lighter with the scope, there is the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40mm with FireDot-G TMR reticle.  The dot is green rather than red.  The turrets and reticle are otherwise the same.  Same motion activation on tbe dot.   Glass is a step down, but still good.  One inch main tube is where most of the weight is saved.  Only 12.4 ounces.

I do recommend the VX-R Patrol for its better optical performance.  It is worth the extra price.
View Quote

Appreciate the advice. I have both QD mounts for the 1" and 30mm tubes (20moa on the 30mm which may help the few times i reach out further). Think the VXR is the way ill be going
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
never mind. didnt see all your specs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went through a similar process and arrived at the same conclusion, and now have a VX-R Patrol mounted on my 18" SPR-ish AR with the Aero Precision Liwghtweight Extended mount.  I went for a semi lightweight build, and arrived at about 7.75 lbs with scope, unloaded.  For the specific combination of weight, performance, value and versatility that I was looking for, I felt like the 3-9 VX-R Patrol offered everything I wanted: SFP, MRAD, Illumination, with the benefit of the Auto-Sleep & Wake-Up Illumination.  Plus I've heard great things about the Leupold warranty.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can do with out the illuminated reticle you can save quite a bit on the price of the scope. The same Leupold scope w/o the lit reticle is about $100 less.

Here is a very good Weaver scope for the money look here the specs say 16.6 oz
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you can do with out the illuminated reticle you can save quite a bit on the price of the scope. The same Leupold scope w/o the lit reticle is about $100 less.

View Quote

That Weaver is a steal when it's on sale for $300. I've never had one, but nothing but positive reviews. I did have a VX-R patrol, and I loved that. Very light weight, clear glass, loved the firedot, and I personally liked the TMR reticle. It's really hard to go wrong with that scope for what you get.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Weaver 3-10 GST from Midway
Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44
Burris MTAC 4.5-14x44

I don't like the reticle in the 3-9 Patrol.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where does one get a VX-R without a lit reticle?  I think all scopes in the VX-R lineup have the FireDot.

Perhaps you were thinking of the non-illuminated mildot version of the Mark AR.  It is a different scope in several respects.  1" main tube vs. 30mm and lower quality glass.  It is lighter at only 12.4 ounces.

I do agree that this Weaver GST is a great value in a non-illuminated scope when you can pick it up on sale at $299.  Its good to see it is back on sale.  It is probably the best $300 tactical scope on the planet.

All-in-all.  The Patrol remains my favorite in this power range for its optical clarity, light weight for a 30mm main tube, and the amazing FireDot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top