Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 6:56:31 AM EDT
Have changed my mind on my initial glass purchase and increased the budget, have decided to go with a Vortex scope period. More than a few choices on models but definitely looking for at least a  4- scope, school me on the pros and cons of the models!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have changed my mind on my initial glass purchase and increased the budget, have decided to go with a Vortex scope period. More than a few choices on models but definitely looking for a 4-?x?, school me on the pros and cons of the models!
View Quote

Well... what's the budget?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have changed my mind on my initial glass purchase and increased the budget, have decided to go with a Vortex scope period. More than a few choices on models but definitely looking for a 4-?x?, school me on the pros and cons of the models!

Around the $800 mark and under.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd probably be looking at the PST 4-16 in that range.  Cortez as a company has a very diverse line from cheap stuff I wouldn't buy to high end stuff and everything in between. The PST line is nice but has more competition now than it did when it first came out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Viper PST 2.5-10x and everyone that has looked through it has been very impressed with the glass for the money, even some optics snobs.  I'm very pleased with the scope.  If you don't care about illumination, I'd personally spend a little extra coin and get the Razor HD LH.  I haven't handled one but I suspect it's a slightly higher grade of optical quality since it's in their HD line, and you'll save 5-8 oz.

Check out cameralandny.com's demo units, they usually have some Vortex scopes in there.  I got my Viper PST that way for a couple hundred off retail and it looked like it had never been touched when I got it.

FWIW I'd also look at Leupold's VX-3i in that price range but I'm not predisposed to one over the other - I think they both make a great optic for the price.  Very different illumination schemes if illumination is important to you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#5]
How are the HS and PST SFP models?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How are the HS and PST SFP models?
View Quote

Pretty decent.  Glass is decent track well etc.  Shooting 1000 yards with them is no issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I just put an HS 2.5-10 FFP on my latest 20" build.  Haven't shot it past 200 yards yet, but so far I like it.  Nice, mid-budget scope.  Good value for the money.  It got mine on a Cabela's Black Friday sale for $350.  

Looking forward to stretching its legs at longer distances to see how the reticle works for windage, motion and comeups.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Any major differences between the HS-T and PST models besides the illumination? And would it be a  huge loss going with the PST SFP instead of the FFP?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on what you want to use it for.  The benefit of the FFP is that the reticle markings stay consistent relative to your target.  So whether you're at 2.5X or 10X, you'd use the same holdover/comeups.  The FFP reticle changes sizes as you zoom in and out.  Can't do that with the SFP.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm using the HS-T 4-16x44 SFP scope and I think it's unbeatable for the price. I paid $450 brand new for the mil reticle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I recently bought my first FFP scope and I don't think I'll ever go back. They are pricey but worth it if you adjust your zoom
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the insight guys it's greatly appreciated,  definitely going Vortex just deciding on SF or FFP and Mrad or MOA recticle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#13]
which scope?

Go either Viper or Razor their new Razor line without illumination looks good....when I get my CZ 17HH put together going that route myself.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
which scope?

Go either Viper or Razor their new Razor line without illumination looks good....when I get my CZ 17HH put together going that route myself.
View Quote

Leaning more towards PST 6-24x50.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#15]
The Viper PST 2.5-10 is an excellent choice for an m1A IMO.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
which scope?

How will you be using your rifle and scope?  Range, type of targets, kind of rifle, caliber, and intended ammo?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm using the HS-T 4-16x44 SFP scope and I think it's unbeatable for the price. I paid $450 brand new for the mil reticle.
View Quote

I have one of these and it rocks, I also have a diamondback 4-16 SFP and love it as well.   On the higher end I have a 6-24x50 FFP Viper PST and it's the shit.   On my SBR I have a vortex Sparc 2 and love it.   I have yet to be dissappinted by vortex, hard to beat for the price point
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#18]
If you do go with one of the razor's, just know, there are plenty of people that have switched away from running s&b's and other high end optics to run the vortex razor's. Price to quality wise, there are not but a couple of scopes that can compete with vortex.  Warranty wise, even less.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How will you be using your rifle and scope?  Range, type of targets, kind of rifle, caliber, and intended ammo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
which scope?

Bump.  Usage dictates scope properties and features.  Vortex scopes range from cheap Chinese marginal to top tier and all in between.   A 6-24x50 scope will be big, long and heavy and is often too much scope for all but dedicated target or long range shooting.  I have a very good Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50mm with 4" sunshade (needed at high magnification) that absolutely dwarfs an AR15.  It is reserved for precision shooting at long range and for load development.  You are also likely to have to put it in a much higher mount to clear the folded front sight on a 12" rail, if that should be your rifle.  I had to go up to a Larue LT-135, 1.93" high, to clear the front folded sight.  This has an adverse effect on cheek weld, too, but is manageable at bench, where this type scope belongs.

I'm not advocating a different brand.  I am posting a photo of my scope in that power range as an example of just how big and unwieldy a 6-24x50 scope is, so that you might know whether this is, indeed, what meets your actual needs.  If you intend to use your rifle for more general purposes, you might want to consider something in the 2.5-10x or 3-9x range.  For benchrest, load development or long range precision shooting, the 6-24x50 with good glass is wonderful.  Also know that at 24x a scope with a 50mm objective lens you will have barely a 2mm exit pupil.  Head and eye position is very critical.  Any lateral movement and you lose your field of view completely.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#20]
May I ask why you settled on Vortex?  They seem to be the cool kid on the block right now, but at that price point you have a HUGE array of models and brands to choose from.  I would do a little more research before investing that kind of coin in an import piece of glass from a relative newcomer to the industry.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I highly recommend Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50mm Rifle Scope, G2DMR Reticle ET6245FG.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top