Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/27/2016 10:39:35 PM EDT
I have an inexpensive PSA 8.5" upper arriving soon that I want to use for suppressed predator hunting and general quiet night things. My initial thought is to throw a my spare CompM2 on it and see how that goes, but I figured I would ask what others are using. I'll mostly be in bushy high desert, majority of shots are 5-75yds on coyote down to jackrabbit sized targets.

I was thinking a variable 1-4/6x, mostly because it makes vital shots easier past 50yds, magnification helps me see animals further, and the reticle/bdc gives me some flexibility to make better shots or land hail-mary shots.

Are you seeing decent accuracy with subs out to 100yds to warrant a magnified optic? Do you have any specific options you've tested and like?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I run a 3-9x scope on my bolt action. I don't hunt but I do shoot out to 125yds with it. Accuracy is great with good ammo at that range. Imo for hunting it would be super helpful to have some sort of BDC - my scope is regular crosshairs, so I'm having to judge my drop by eye, which isn't very accurate.

I'd consider the P-300 2-7 from Nikon as a good budget option, but a 1-4/1-6 would probably be the ideal optic if you don't need 7x+.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Compact ACOG?

The 1.5x helps a lot. Definitely not a precision, long range site. But the glass/reticle are wonderful!
All depends on the user's eyesight.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm building a SBR 300BLK for hunting. The TA33 has a 300BLK reticle that looks nifty but looks a little complex for short range hunting. Personally I plan on going with a simple 1.5x or 2x ACOG.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
might want to consider this variable -
PA 1x6
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, definitely can shoot out to 100 with subs.  FWIW, I highly recommend the Lehigh 194 gr Max Expansion subs - I've had bad luck getting anything else to expand at subsonic speeds but those have been totally money on hogs and deer.  Cleanly took a 200 lb buck with one with one shot to the vital zone.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on eyes.....I have 55yr old eyes...on my 300BO AR I use a Nikon 1-4 with Point Blank rectical...along with a rail mounted 5mw green laser I can flash.    Excellent target acquisition for 100 yard shots.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Supers and subs?  300BLK 3x30 ACOG is a good choice, but relatively expensive.  Cheaper end: anything with mil/moa marks (e.g., .2 mil or 1MOA) would be preferred if you switch between the two because you will need different zeros.

Just supers: RDS is perfect.

Just subs: Something with mil/moa marks as above.

Grain of salt.  FWIW, I hunt deer with 300BLK supers with that exact ACOG, I like it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
might want to consider this variable -
PA 1x6
View Quote

I have the PA 1-6 in 300 blk and it's great for me and my fun. The Nikon P300 2-7 x 32 is also an option. For hunting it might have a bit more of an edge in low light situations, but also won't have an illuminated reticle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I started with just a 2 MOA Aimpoint.  Not enough magnification for me, especially at 100 yds when trying out loads for accuracy.

Added a PA 3x magnifier in a flip to side mount.

Great combo for both load development and hunting within the Blackout's envelope, super or sub
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]
My eyes are good for now.

MRO/CompM2 inside of 50 is no problem, but the timid or hard to see coyotes that like to linger around 75-80yds are a bitch with 2-4moa @ 1x.

Once I work up a sub load I like I'll be solely using that, not switching back and forth.

Acog is probably a little rich for my blood at this point. I'm considering the vortex strike eagle, but that + mount around $400 is about the max I want to spend at this point for a 8.5" cheap barrel.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:13:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I use a 3-9 x40 for the most part.  With a bullet drop compensator reticle, it is easier to find the mark.  Magnification certainly makes it easier to find smaller critters.

I really want to try my vortex spitfire on it, though.  I just have a feeling it will be perfect since I don't normally go past 120yds with subs.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top