User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I could forsee a situation where Trijicon offers a "recall fix" for early SN MROs. New glass, better battery connectors, once they can nail down what the fixes are.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you remember approx what serial # they were?
Can you post the vid, please?

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[
I'm happy yours is working .... I have a friend who is a firearms instructor and out of a fairly small sample size (20-30 MROs) nearly half didn't make it through a weekend

Trijicon also failed with the SRS

Really?  So your 'friend' has seen a 50% failure rate in a weekend course.  Hmm.. and yet out of the hundreds (thousands?) of people who have these here, I haven't seen a single reported failure.  What do you think would account for such a striking discrepancy?

If you'll look in the big MRO thread, you will find my posts covering my ordeal with the MROs purchased by my agency. Here's the short story:

The SWAT team was needing new optics for their rifles, as the N cell EOTechs they were using were going down regularly.  As the agency armorer, I ordered 27 of them--one for each SWAT rifle,and a couple of spares. When they arrived, I installed 20 of them, leaving 7 in the box.  Hearing about the issues some people were having with installing the batteries incorrectly and inadvertently bending the contacts, I installed each battery and sight myself to avoid the issue.  Most of the guys liked the sight, but many commented on the red tint and magnification (myself included).  

Within three days, two MROs went down.  Officers called me and stated that either the dot simply turned off (i.e yesterday when they put their rifle in their bag it was on, and today it was off), and one guy stated it was much dimmer on day 2, and he turned the dial up all the way, and next day it was gone all together.  Thinking it was battery related, I swapped in new batteries, to no effect.  Then I took the suspect batteries and placed them in known good MROs, and that unit powered up fine.  So it wasn't battery related.  The LED simply stopped working.  Both units were shipped back to Trijicon for replacement.

Over the next two weeks, a total of 10 of the 27 (keep in mind only 20 had been installed on guns--the rest were unopened) failed in the same manner--including two during a SWAT callout with guys in a stick getting ready to go through a door.  That was the final straw, and I sent them all back.

Side note:  Trijicon was very concerned about the issue, and immediately sent out replacements for the two that I sent in right out of the gate. One of those two units, received directly from Trijicon, failed immediately.  I installed the battery, and upon turning it on, the dot immediately started flickering, and tapping it lightly on the table caused the dot to go off and on.  I videoed this, just in case anyone doesn't believe me.

Now I want everyone to know that I am not bashing Trijicon products.  I have plenty of personal Trjicon gear, and I won't hesitate to buy from them in the future.  I believe this was a 'first generation' problem with the sights, and it has probably already been resolved.  But I simply could not wait for that.

I am glad most people aren't having any issues with the sights.  I think it is a fine sight, and truly believe the problems will be, or already have been fixed.  I was never able to find out what caused my issues.  I spoke with Trjicon CS, but CS and the tech geeks who make all the magic work are two different entities, and I could never get in contact with 'the' guy to get an answer.

Thanks!

I'll go back and look at my notes and see if I can find the SNs.  I do recall that about half of them were all sequential, low SNs, so I assumed that they probably had a batch of bad widgets, and only those SNs were likely affected.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'll go back and look at my notes and see if I can find the SNs.  I do recall that about half of them were all sequential, low SNs, so I assumed that they probably had a batch of bad widgets, and only those SNs were likely affected.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[
I'm happy yours is working .... I have a friend who is a firearms instructor and out of a fairly small sample size (20-30 MROs) nearly half didn't make it through a weekend

Trijicon also failed with the SRS

Really?  So your 'friend' has seen a 50% failure rate in a weekend course.  Hmm.. and yet out of the hundreds (thousands?) of people who have these here, I haven't seen a single reported failure.  What do you think would account for such a striking discrepancy?

If you'll look in the big MRO thread, you will find my posts covering my ordeal with the MROs purchased by my agency. Here's the short story:

The SWAT team was needing new optics for their rifles, as the N cell EOTechs they were using were going down regularly.  As the agency armorer, I ordered 27 of them--one for each SWAT rifle,and a couple of spares. When they arrived, I installed 20 of them, leaving 7 in the box.  Hearing about the issues some people were having with installing the batteries incorrectly and inadvertently bending the contacts, I installed each battery and sight myself to avoid the issue.  Most of the guys liked the sight, but many commented on the red tint and magnification (myself included).  

Within three days, two MROs went down.  Officers called me and stated that either the dot simply turned off (i.e yesterday when they put their rifle in their bag it was on, and today it was off), and one guy stated it was much dimmer on day 2, and he turned the dial up all the way, and next day it was gone all together.  Thinking it was battery related, I swapped in new batteries, to no effect.  Then I took the suspect batteries and placed them in known good MROs, and that unit powered up fine.  So it wasn't battery related.  The LED simply stopped working.  Both units were shipped back to Trijicon for replacement.

Over the next two weeks, a total of 10 of the 27 (keep in mind only 20 had been installed on guns--the rest were unopened) failed in the same manner--including two during a SWAT callout with guys in a stick getting ready to go through a door.  That was the final straw, and I sent them all back.

Side note:  Trijicon was very concerned about the issue, and immediately sent out replacements for the two that I sent in right out of the gate. One of those two units, received directly from Trijicon, failed immediately.  I installed the battery, and upon turning it on, the dot immediately started flickering, and tapping it lightly on the table caused the dot to go off and on.  I videoed this, just in case anyone doesn't believe me.

Now I want everyone to know that I am not bashing Trijicon products.  I have plenty of personal Trjicon gear, and I won't hesitate to buy from them in the future.  I believe this was a 'first generation' problem with the sights, and it has probably already been resolved.  But I simply could not wait for that.

I am glad most people aren't having any issues with the sights.  I think it is a fine sight, and truly believe the problems will be, or already have been fixed.  I was never able to find out what caused my issues.  I spoke with Trjicon CS, but CS and the tech geeks who make all the magic work are two different entities, and I could never get in contact with 'the' guy to get an answer.

Thanks!

Yeah, probably a bad batch of LEDs.  Doubt they actually make their own.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top